Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: ShellieMay in Disney World by Christmas

The rumor that wouldn't die, LOL.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to believe since apparently CMs keep insisting that this is going to happen. But again, I would think that if Shellie May was going to be available in a little over THREE WEEKS, we would have heard something directly from Disney by now.

That would match when they released her here. ShellieMay's launch was a BIG deal here; it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Is Duffy a "household name" in the US? Are all park-goers even familiar with him? Placement in that Kinect game must be really giving him a boost, but as I understand it, the game doesn't really offer a lot of context. More like a cameo for folks who already know him, yes, no?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Is Duffy a "household name" in the US?
    No. Duffy is not a household name in the US.

Are all park-goers even familiar with him?
    No. I know people who go to the parks all the time who have absolutely NO IDEA who Duffy is.

Placement in that Kinect game must be really giving him a boost, but as I understand it, the game doesn't really offer a lot of context. More like a cameo for folks who already know him, yes, no?
    Not everyone is a gamer (I'm not), so I highly doubt his placement in the Disneyland Adventures game has boosted awareness of Duffy. I'm sure when most players run across him they're like, "Who the ******* is that?!"

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by cheshiremomo View Post
    I promptly turned around and asked when Shellie May would be coming and another CM got very excited that someone else knew who Shellie May (since apparently the other CMs didn't...) was.
    I would have completely disregarded this rumor (since CMs keep claiming she's coming by dates that have passed already!) if you hadn't mentioned this. Few of the CMs in DCA (and only a couple in Disneyland, including Snow White, who I guess is a princess, not a CM ) recognized my Tiny Shellie May. It seems VERY odd to me that Disney's supposed to be bringing Shellie May over when the overwhelming majority of CMs don't even know who she is (and many, MANY CMs did not recognize Tiny Duffy as being Duffy, either). But the fact that the CM who was promising Shellie May's imminent arrival was familiar with this phenomenon adds a bit of credibility, IMO.

IF she comes over, and IF they don't sell her online, it's going to be torture...the very earliest I have scheduled to go to Disneyland is September (and it's more likely going to be December or next January (!).). If they make a 12" Shellie May, I may have to order from Disneyland DelivEARS or hope that someone near one of the US parks starts their own Shellie May Post.

(And no, Duffy is only a household name to a very few Americans. Mostly the hardcore Duffy fans and their friends and family who are frankly may be a little tired of hearing about Duffy, receiving Duffy-themed gifts, etc. Well, and the hardcore Disney fans who know everything Disney, some of whom, as we all know, despise Duffy as a money-grab. )

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    ...(And no, Duffy is only a household name to a very few Americans. Mostly the hardcore Duffy fans and their friends and family who are frankly may be a little tired of hearing about Duffy, receiving Duffy-themed gifts, etc. Well, and the hardcore Disney fans who know everything Disney, some of whom, as we all know, despise Duffy as a money-grab. )
    I wish I thought those some were wrong about Disney's interest in Duffy, but I guess that's something else we all know by now.^^ Some of my friends are not-so-secretly tired of hearing about my bear love, I can't understand how anyone could tire of receiving Duffy-related gifts - tha's jus' crazy talk!

Thanks for answering my question about Duffy's status in the States. I think it's a little early to launch Shellie, with Duffy not seeming to be the hit that was expected for the US, but maybe it will just the sugar and spice the brand needs to kick into high gear! Really, though, it's hard for me to believe ShellieMay will appear in just about three weeks but there's still no lead-up to the launch. Maybe surprise is part of the plan or something...

It wll be very interesting to see what they do with ShellieMay if she comes to the US. Somehow, for me, Shellie feels even more Japanese in concept and execution than Duffy does, although they both are full of Tokyo Nipponesque and Cape Cod Americana in equal measure.

It's a bigger stretch to do her right, but one thing I kind of imagine is a stronger "girl power" vibe that might be interesting. Casting Shellie as up for adventure herself is something that I can see being potentially very popular in the US. Shellie costumes to compliment all the existing Duffy releases, including female Space Ranger and "Jessie," would be very compelling. I just hope that IF it happens, they do a really good job. I have a feeling that if ShellieMay launches and isn't a huge success quickly, Duffy's days of global conquest are numbered... Anybody checked recently how he's doing in Paris or Hong Kong?

• Become part of MY world!

Al in his recent post said that Duffy isn't doing so well, especially in Florida. The execs responsible are embarrassed because they expected Japan-like success. Of course, that will never happen. And so far, I think Disney is taking a step back. They're probably trying to figure out what they're doing wrong. I mean, we haven't had a new costume release in a while (I think the last one was the aviator and Xmas ones back in Oct) so I think it makes sense that they're taking their time before we see a new costume. Let's just hope they realize what they're doing wrong and not make any more hasty decisions.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Well, I never said any of this was confirmed. There were three CMs at the line, and even the ones that didn't know who Duffy really was said that "yeah, I heard something about another bear". I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything about this since yes, CMs have told us many different dates for Shellie May. This one just seemed more likely to me since this is how she was introduced at TDS.

I do want to say though that I LOVE the idea of Shellie May being up for adventure herself. I think that would make her more attractive to an American audience (and I love her already, but I think I'd love her even more if that was the case).

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    Al in his recent post said that Duffy isn't doing so well, especially in Florida.
    Al also said that Japanese tourists at WDW are almost non-existent, which is completely FALSE. I always see TONS of Japanese tourists when I go to the parks or even visit Downtown Disney. And I always see them with Duffy stuff attached to themselves or their bags too. It always boggles my mind how many Japanese tourists I see at the US parks when the best run Disney parks in the world are in their own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    …And I always see them with Duffy stuff attached to themselves or their bags too. It always boggles my mind how many Japanese tourists I see at the US parks when the best run Disney parks in the world are in their own backyard.
    I love hearing that the Japanese fans wear Duffy so proudly. My experience has been that Japanese fans see both American resorts as "authentic," because Disney is an American company, and that they are absolutely blown away by the scale of WDW. I agree, though, that there is nothing else in the world like Tokyo DisneySEA.

Aimster and Diznygrl, your messages weren't displaying for me earlier. I'm sorry I repeated what you said about three weeks. And I think it's true about the game not helping so much with building awareness, but I still love that he's in something interactive that will last forever.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I love hearing that the Japanese fans wear Duffy so proudly. My experience has been that Japanese fans see both American resorts as "authentic," because Disney is an American company, and that they are absolutely blown away by the scale of WDW. I agree, though, that there is nothing else in the world like Tokyo DisneySEA.
    I see lots of Japanese tourists walking around at Disneyland with Duffy. And just about every time I head to DCA to see Duffy there are Japanese tourists there with their Duffys waiting to get a photo. They always have the coolest Duffy stuff with them, too (makes me just a little bit envious - because America can't do a better job marketing Duffy). And they're so excited and, well, just so darned adorable (both guys & gals), it tickles me to see them.

Thumbs up Re: ShellieMay in Disney World by Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by cheshiremomo View Post
    …I do want to say though that I LOVE the idea of Shellie May being up for adventure herself. I think that would make her more attractive to an American audience (and I love her already, but I think I'd love her even more if that was the case).
    Right? ~sigh~ I wish I could be on the US Duffy design team, but I think there's no way they'd ever have me…because I actually care TOO much. I really think I could do a good job, though, and make them a lot of money.^^

• I love that tiny bear!

I did notice they're selling 3 outfits for $30 at the Disney Store online (trying to clear them out, presumably)...the 3 outfits they showed in the email were all the newest ones (pirate, aviator, sorcerer). I'm not arguing any of those outfits are perfect, but they're all WELL above most of the initial Epcot-themed releases. More like Build-a-Bear's, IMO.

(It looks like the email may have done its job too well, since those 3 outfits appear to be missing from the Disney Store website at the moment. )

I would rather they wait to bring Shellie May over, too, and I'd still be quite surprised if she appeared in 3 weeks...all the stores out in America already have their Valentine's Day displays out very prominently. But I guess we'll see!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345