Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• ~*Princess*~

Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

I always felt the credit thing was possibly cultural--or even if a chance that they aren't letting the people take credit, regardless if they want to or not.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I can understand the credit thing. It seems like, especially with Disney, that they celebrate individual artists. Maybe they feel like it connects the fans to the art. Even though somebody might be designing a Donald Duck pin or something that is an already established character. Sometimes those designs are not so much art as just arranging pieces to form something else. Like a pin that has artwork of Donald that looks like lots of other poses of him. They just add some other details to it and make it a new pin. Then, the artist has a signing or something.

There are also people like Dave Avanzino or Shag who actually create wholly new Disney artwork that might have a basis in what's come before, but generally they make something unique.

With what's being done with Duffy, I feel like it's the pin example. They are taking already established art and then getting the credit for it. Personally, I would rather know who really created it. I don't feel the focus on one guy is justified, even if that's the "Disney culture" here.

As for the story itself, yeah, I heard it again to get more details, and it does seem like they took out some of the magic. It mainly makes it seem like it's all Minnie's doing. In the Japanese book, she makes Duffy, but it's Duffy's own magic that brings him to life, and he stays alive at the end. Then, Goofy says "That sure is one special teddy bear!". So, it's Duffy, not Minnie who has the magic. Although...it could be from her too. The Shellie May story makes it seem like Minnie has the gift of life. She just magically brings Shellie May to life. Unless somehow, like DuffyDaisuki's version of the story, it's Duffy's magic again that brings Shellie to life.

Either way, I'm still conflicted, and I will buy this book just to have it in my collection to compare. I even have the original "Disney Bear" storybook.

• Become part of MY world!

Adding salt to the wound

New Duffy the Disney Bear Storybook to Debut on October 14 at Disney Parks Disney Parks Blog

I can't believe this, this frustrates me even more! They're acting like the story is all theirs and had nothing to do with Japan! Gaaah! God! Stupid Disney!!!!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Munchings & Crunchings

This is so typical Disney PR. I've grown so used to them spinning things like this, why should I be surprised? And to their minds, they have no problem with it. They love glossing over facts, and making everything so sparkly and happy.

I'm sure Jessie Ward was a sailor, or whatever, but making it seem like the only story inspiration was the hang-tags from the TDS Duffy's is a little misleading. The entire book is based on the full-size storybook from Japan. Even the cover is similar with the "stitched" border. They did more than look at the tags for inspiration...

I know that Disney has a very hard time giving other people credit for things, especially when they come out of Japan. They slightly acknowledge the source, but then figure that most Americans couldn't care less about Tokyo Disney Resort, so they downplay it.

You know the one thing I wonder? Who was the person who originally designed the "Disney Bear"? I've never found that out, and I wonder what they think of the Duffy phenomenon. It would be ironic if Monty Maldovan had anything to do with it...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The only thing I'm going to say, is after seeing Duffy wearing a fez in the book, I want a fez for my Duffy! Because as the Eleventh Doctor says, "Fezes are cool."

• Wag More, Bark Less!

• I love that tiny bear!

and it was inspired by stories first introduced at Tokyo Disney Resort
    At least that is accurate (the hang-tag quote later is kind of obnoxious).

I can't see the images on the link

• Journey On!

Angry Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    …I just don't have any hope whatsoever that the US version of Duffy will ever match the Japanese one, and I'm resigned to that.
    True enough, but the fact that they are making money off of simplifying and cheapening a character lovingly created by the Oriental Land Company from a concept Walt Disney Company already threw away is just plain wrong. They had their chance and blew it. Supporting what they're doing now is just not duffy, and I won't do it. What they're doing leads directly to new potential fans seeing Duffy as less than he is. How can a "Duffy fan" support this in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Well, I think the main reason for the change of artwork is that in Japan, Duffy is in an old-styled Cape Cod so things like bottled notes and the older style make sense. Here, I guess they just wanted to modernize it is the thing--thus updated artwork and no bottle.
    I have no interest in making excuses for Disney or justifying their corruption of the character I love. Duffy's classic design is in line with the turn-of-the-century invention of the teddy bear and the early 20th Century vibe of TDS's American Waterfront, that's true. But Duffy's personality, adventures, costume designs and merchandise have certainly not been limited to this setting. Duffy is, of course, timeless. The art style is not just "older." It's softer and more evocative of illustrated classics. The message-in-a-bottle has absolutely nothing to do with time or period. Rather, it is more likely inspired by Duffy's deep connection to DisneySEA. In wider effect, though, it adds a romantic ambiance that is at the center of the authentic Duffy's characterization. It is essential to Duffy's true nature, and for that I'm honestly a bit relieved at its absence in the US imitation. Although, since Disney seems dead-set on corrupting every aspect of my most beloved character, perhaps we'll see a paltry version of this, too, in the future. For the record, "Cape Cod is Duffy's Hometown"…no matter where his journeys take him.^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    I'm also conflicted like Gurgi, I *like the story, of course it's no Japan Duffy, but to me it's still nice. To me, it's good to at least see SOME creativity when it comes to Duffy here in the statesmore agitated…
    Where is this "creativity?" All they did is ~remove~ details; it's reductive, not creative. The only "new" elements are that they ate food in their travels, or at least Mickey did, and the "author" even feels the need to pat himself on the back for this "brand-new" contribution. Mickey wears the same uniform, in the same colors. Minnie's sewing room is set up in the same way, and shown in precisely the same perspective. I imagine that Monty Maldovan, if he did anything at all, edited the original grayscale drawings of the artwork before the "watercolor effect" was applied by whomever he made reference to. The pier scene is truly different, in that it has Duffy tossed to the side in his bag like a prop, while Mickey and Minnie hug each other, rather than both holding Duffy as in the original. I have already commented on what this means. Mickey's quarters on the ship have the same values, same details. The trunk is still there with its travel labels and the bedspread is exactly the same pattern, texture and colors. Duffy's pose in the dream and the cloud are exactly the same, although the scene is now focused on Minnie's photo, a clock with Mickey hands, and Mickey dreaming that Duffy was alive, rather than Duffy actually coming to life. The next part in the US version about Mickey and Duffy being "inseparable" is nonexistent in the authentic Japanese story. In keeping with its intention to have Duffy stand as a character on his own two feet, Mickey's role is simply to be storyteller. In the original, the focus on photos doesn't come until other characters become fans of Duffy. This, as well as the cooperative nature of Minnie's production process are downplayed in the American version. The way that having Duffy in photos magically enhances portraits' ability to make viewers smile is completely omitted along with the idea that Duffy has a life and adventures on his own. Both the message of the story and Duffy's characterization are compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    …Now he's just a random teddy bear that fixes loneliness…
    Isn't that every teddy bear? I know that's what you're saying; I'm just chiming in.^^

…I actually got it in my head that Duffy is more about love (warm/fuzzy/platonic love)…
    He is, for sure. But that has nothing to do with "loneliness" or "homesickness." And nothing to do with the Mice. It's all about universal pure love!^^

In Japan, do any of the Duffy artists/designers get any sort of credit? *…But the credit thing could be cultural....
    Japan is about teamwork, and so is America. Artists in Japan like being acknowledged for their work, too. And even if they didn't, that wouldn't make it all right for other artists to take credit for their work, especially when all they've done is compromise and cheapen the original vision and intent.

I can understand the credit thing. *It seems like, especially with Disney, that they celebrate individual artists. *Maybe they feel like it connects the fans to the art…
    It does indeed, which is why Japanese artists should be credited. Oriental Land Company is not even mentioned by name. This is no doubt intentional. WDC knows as well as I do that many Americans, probably most, have no idea that Tokyo Disney Resort is owned and managed by another, independent company, if they know that TDR exists at all. To them, even saying "it originated in Tokyo" isn't the same as saying, "The successful take on this property did not originate within WDC."

It's not like the pins because the pins are just using artwork anyway. What's happening with Duffy is people taking credit for innovation, reconceptualization and relaunch that they played virtually no part in constructing. It's like taking your classmate's essay, dumbing down and misspelling the words to make it believable as your own work, handing it in and getting a "B-" instead of the "F" you deserve along with a penalty for cheating.

Thanks for posting this. They did mention TDR, actually, but clearly just so no one could say they didn't.

This is so typical Disney PR. *I've grown so used to them spinning things like this, why should I be surprised? *And to their minds, they have no problem with it…
    Neither do many "Duffy fans," apparently, so why should they? If fans don't show their disapproval, both with voices and wallets, what incentive do they have to care? Shameful! …For all consenting parties.

I'm sure Jessie Ward was a sailor, or whatever, but making it seem like the only story inspiration was the hang-tags from the TDS Duffy's is a little misleading. *The entire book is based on the full-size storybook from Japan. *Even the cover is similar with the "stitched" border. *They did more than look at the tags for inspiration...
    It's not "a little misleading;" it's a bold-faced lie and anyone who refuses to call them out is an accomplice in the hoodwinking deception.

I know that Disney has a very hard time giving other people credit for things, especially when they come out of Japan. *They slightly acknowledge the source, but then figure that most Americans couldn't care less about Tokyo Disney Resort, so they downplay it.
    Well, that's the reaction of many on these boards, and the people here are vastly better informed about the issue than the American masses. It worked for THE LION KING; why not Duffy?

You know the one thing I wonder? *Who was the person who originally designed the "Disney Bear"? *I've never found that out, and I wonder what they think of the Duffy phenomenon. *It would be ironic if Monty Maldovan had anything to do with it...
    I've never known that, either. I wouldn't be surprised if we're told it was good ol' Monty in the coming weeks, just to soften the blow. Whoever it was probably did it on a lunch break. Everything that makes Duffy special came from Japan.

At least that is accurate (the hang-tag quote later is kind of obnoxious).
    No lie (and no "kind of"). I should add that I'm half-joking with the intensity of my outrage and fury…but only half.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.

• I also like Stitch!

I just posted a rant on the Duffy book on Duffy's facebook page. That will show them.

^ $20 says they'll delete it.

• Adventures with Duffy

Are they bring this book to DCA or just WDW?
    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Become part of MY world!

DCA too, and they're also doing the free shirt for first 250 APs. The shirt, looks too cheap and generic to me though.

Details on Duffy the Disney Bear T-Shirt for October 14 at Disney California Adventure Park Disney Parks Blog

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 07:34 PM ----------

Wow, just noticed the REALLY bad photoshop job on the shirt artwork. The edging is very messy. WOW Disney nice job......
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post

Wow, just noticed the REALLY bad photoshop job on the shirt artwork. The edging is very messy. WOW Disney nice job......
    I was just gonna say! And they used the bear that doesn't even look remotely like Duffy. IDK; maybe he's Duffy's illegitimate older half-brother or something. (Well, younger chronologically, but the not-Duffy art doesn't look at all childlike to me, the way Duffy does.)

Compared to the bad Photoshop and homely bear art, though, the shirt looks OK to me!

I think the shirt is very MEH. My Duffy took one look and said, "I wouldn't wear that!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast