Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I think the shirt is very MEH. My Duffy took one look and said, "I wouldn't wear that!"
    Me and my Duffy had the same reaction lol. I'll pass on the shirt.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

An important thing to remember is that all stories can be analyzed and each person may have a different analytical prospective depending on ones own past experiences. That being said we each love Duffy for a different reason and just really want him to be a larger part of the US Disney parks.

• I also like Stitch!

I think all true fans would pass the shirt. It's just not Duffy

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I was just gonna say! And they used the bear that doesn't even look remotely like Duffy. IDK; maybe he's Duffy's illegitimate older half-brother or something. (Well, younger chronologically, but the not-Duffy art doesn't look at all childlike to me, the way Duffy does.)

Compared to the bad Photoshop and homely bear art, though, the shirt looks OK to me!
    Can I just say, I HATE that "Duffy" paper doll art they are using. It looks so wrong, and like you said, Eeee-va, it looks like his illegitimate brother. It's a lot like the bland Disney Bear design they used to use. Since the cute & fuzzy version already exists from Japan, why did they throw that out and use this crappy one? I really, really hate it...

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

^ $20 says they'll delete it.
    Somebody owes Aimster $20, apparently. That's why I don't even bother trying to go through official channels. OLC cannot afford to stand up to WDC, not that they probably even really want to. They likely do accept it, but that doesn't make it right. The Walt Disney Company does not care, and they count on fans apathetically accepting whatever they do and offering them more money for it to boot. They are not interested in dissenting voices and they are absolutely not above censoring their own fans when they don't like what they have to say, as they have clearly demonstrated today.

I was just gonna say! And they used the bear that doesn't even look remotely like Duffy. IDK; maybe he's Duffy's illegitimate older half-brother or something. (Well, younger chronologically, but the not-Duffy art doesn't look at all childlike to me, the way Duffy does.)
    Actually, chronologically it's older. That's the art for the "Disney Bear." The art you're thinking of as Duffy originated in Japan. You won't find any old Disney Bear items that look like that; they were all in the "homely bear" style. It's kind of shocking that even now they are too lazy to stop using that old version. It's just a template. I guess it's easier to color. I suppose it also makes some people feel that Duffy and the original Disney Bear are not very - fundamentally - different things, and so there is no way WDC could be "stealing" Duffy since he was never not theirs. Wish I could tell you the name of the artist who made that super-cute version we all know and love, though...

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyGirl View Post
    An important thing to remember is that all stories can be analyzed and each person may have a different analytical prospective depending on ones own past experiences. That being said we each love Duffy for a different reason and just really want him to be a larger part of the US Disney parks.
    Yeah, I think that's all true and I haven't forgotten it for a moment. I'm offering my perspective, based on loving this character for the past three incredible years, as he has exploded into a Japanese cultural phenomenon that incidentally generated enough money for Disney to want to reclaim him, and to do so as if he was theirs all along. I also think there's nothing subjective about the largest media and entertainment corporation on earth having the audacity to continuously and blatantly steal from Japanese artists like the great Osamu Tezuka and the Duffy design team.

There's nothing to debate about where the story originated or whether it's been hacked. I see it as cut down to a spectre of the original, personally, which I feel is an insult to the artists who originally created it. If it still seems to have the same heart or even represent the same Duffy to some, I guess that's their prerogative, but I don't see how it could. The Duffy in that book and in those costumes - the Duffy in the US - is not the same character Japan has created, nurtured, and breathed life into. No matter what WDC does, they can't change the fact that some us - including many in the US and all over the world, whether they've been to TDR or own TDS merchandise or not - some will always know the true character, and it will always matter to a few of us that we do. I want the real, authentic Duffy to be a larger part of the US Disney parks, too. So far, he just isn't really there at all. And I think it's really sad for the people like me who might truly love Duffy if they had the chance to know who he really is, but will roll their eyes at the crassness of "the Disney Bear" and its transparent agenda...no matter where WDC steals the name from.

AHHH I wish I was in Disney World right now, I could get him to sign the book and shirt ^_^ its be so magical!!! Plus, its MNSSHP and I love Duffy's new pumpkin outfit!! His hat is so adorable!!
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Curly-fluffy Duffy art looks more like Duffy. The "cutout" they put the shirt on doesn't look like him at all. More like a 7th cousin 10 times removed.

My Duffy is going on about wanting a fez. I'm going to see if maybe my aunt can make him one. My Duffy is a weird little bear.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Actually, chronologically it's older. That's the art for the "Disney Bear." The art you're thinking of as Duffy originated in Japan. You won't find any old Disney Bear items that look like that; they were all in the "homely bear" style. It's kind of shocking that even now they are too lazy to stop using that old version. It's just a template. I guess it's easier to color. I suppose it also makes some people feel that Duffy and the original Disney Bear are not very - fundamentally - different things, and so there is no way WDC could be "stealing" Duffy since he was never not theirs. Wish I could tell you the name of the artist who made that super-cute version we all know and love, though...
    I did not know that was older art from the Disney Bear. Thanks! I had thought it was just a really ugly rendition of Duffy. In a way I am almost relieved that they did not draw that awful, awful picture AFTER they released Duffy in the US.

Though I agree that the idea that Duffy and the "Disney Bear" are not fundamentally different is wrong, and not just because Duffy is (IMO) much, MUCH cuter. I'm not entirely convinced the use of the Disney Bear template isn't just Disney being lazy...I'm not sure which explanation I'd rather be true (laziness or possible deceit). I guess lazy, because you can fix lazy.

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

I agree that the idea that Duffy and the "Disney Bear" are not fundamentally different is wrong, and not just because Duffy is (IMO) much, MUCH cuter. I'm not entirely convinced the use of the Disney Bear template isn't just Disney being lazy...I'm not sure which explanation I'd rather be true (laziness or possible deceit). I guess lazy, because you can fix lazy.
    One hopes.

• I love that tiny bear!

Did you see Sue's mention of Duffy on MiceAge today? It sounds to me like she "gets it"--at least, certainly more than any other columnist I've read.

Pressing Matters - MiceAge.com

(OK, aside from saying Halloween is more important than Duffy. )

• I also like Stitch!

My Duffy is going on about wanting a fez. I'm going to see if maybe my aunt can make him one. My Duffy is a weird little bear.
    Why, may I ask, does Duffy, want a fez. My Duffy is only begging me for a Halloween Costume and asking when he'll see Shelly May. He misses her so much. And he gets fussy at night when I'm getting him out of his sailor suit.

• Minion

Lil D doesn't want to read this thread anymore. It's hurting his feelings.

• MiceAge Columnist

Did you see Sue's mention of Duffy on MiceAge today? It sounds to me like she "gets it"--at least, certainly more than any other columnist I've read.

Pressing Matters - MiceAge.com

(OK, aside from saying Halloween is more important than Duffy. )
    Thanks for saying that I "get it." I hope I do. :-) In defense of my fellow columnists though, I don't think they have been collecting teddy bears for over 30 years like I have, so maybe they just don't understand what charming creatures teddy bears are. And while most of my teddy bears are from the 1920s-50s, I absolutely adore Duffy (and so do the rest of my teds). What I don't adore is how the American Disney merchandise folks are marketing him. In my opinion, they've mucked up the marketing something fierce because they don't understand anything about the bear. I figure they must be blind too because all you have to do to understand what works about Duffy is to have a look at what Japan is doing with him — which is all completely charming.

I'm just glad I have an art background and can sew, so that I can create stuff for my Duffy & Shellie May, instead of relying on what the American parks put out (which is mostly pitiful).

---------- Post added 10-14-2011 at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    Why, may I ask, does Duffy, want a fez. My Duffy is only begging me for a Halloween Costume and asking when he'll see Shelly May. He misses her so much. And he gets fussy at night when I'm getting him out of his sailor suit.
    I'm pretty sure Duffy wants a fez because he's been watching Dr. Who and he's a fan. He'd probably like to have a sonic screwdriver too.

Thanks, Eeee-va, for the heads-up. And thanks, Sue, for caring about Duffy and telling the truth.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, thanks, Sue for sharing your opinion with us. I've been reading your articles for years and enjoy your point of view a lot.

I sure wish somebody withing the team responsible for Duffy would finally "get it". It doesn't even have to cost a lot of money either, which I know is a big issue for them. It just requires attention to detail and, you know, actually caring about what you're selling...

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast