Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

Diznygrl, Lil D is amazing. <3

And Sue, though MiceAge is the main news site I read, I didn't JUST mean your fellow MiceAge columnists. You should share pictures of what you sew for your bears sometime!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    Why, may I ask, does Duffy, want a fez. My Duffy is only begging me for a Halloween Costume and asking when he'll see Shelly May. He misses her so much. And he gets fussy at night when I'm getting him out of his sailor suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kruse View Post
    I'm pretty sure Duffy wants a fez because he's been watching Dr. Who and he's a fan. He'd probably like to have a sonic screwdriver too.
    Yeah that's one reason. We're BIG Doctor Who fans. In the new storybook, there's artwork of Duffy & Mickey riding a camel in the desert and they're wearing fezes, so now my Duffy wants a fez because he saw his likeness wearing one, plus the Eleventh Doctor wore a fez in an episode last season. Funny thing... we already have a sonic screwdriver, but its' the Tenth Doctor's (because I adore David Tennant to NO END and he'll always be MY Doctor).

I just sent my Duffy up north to my aunt so she can fix hit foot. Poor thing was terrified but I let him take his plushie cheetah with him, so he wouldn't be alone. Plus he gets to see my mom's Duffys again and meet my aunt's Duffys, so it'll be a good trip for him.

I flew out to WDW yesterday just to see Monty for the book signing since I was already in the US for other Disney events. I had a long chat with Monty two weeks ago when I was at the big 40th Anniversary Haunted Mansion event at WDW as he did a lot of the merchandise/artwork for that as well, and Dara, who oversees all the merchandise for WDW/DL was there as well.

I've known Monty since Duffy's release last year in the US Parks -- Monty is a good guy and a very talented artist. He only illustrated the book, he did not write it. It was written by someone in NY.

But trust me, Monty gets it. He understands the sensitivity with the culture, the phenomenon, and the love that Duffy garners abroad -- it became abundantly clear that some of his hopes and dreams for Duffy in the US are out of his hands. He has some incredible ideas and I love some of the upcoming designs he shared with me. Something else important I learned is that Japan may be part of the reason things appear less creative in the US. When Duffy was brought over to the US, apparently OLC had implemented strict regulations/contract terms as to what costumes could be and how much creative control the US had. Given that, I don't think we will ever see the unique stuff that Tokyo gets because they want to be sure they are the only ones getting it. And of course, cost is a big aspect. US park goers are not going to pay $60 US for an outfit for a teddy bear, most people just don't have that kind of disposable income so they cut corners on the production end. That being said though, I think Chef Duffy for the F&W Festival is quite cute!

Hong Kong should start to see their own merchandise soon -- the year test period is about up and I was told of some new things happening there, so keep your fingers crossed. I am sure most people know Duffy is debuting in Paris next month -- I can't be there for the opening unfortunately, but I hope to get there a few weeks after. Dara has seen some of the outfits for him there and Paris has literally employed fashion designers to put together some stuff -- it sounds like down the line, the outfits from there could easily rival TDS.

As for the signing yesterday, I was surprised at how many people were there. By 10:30am, there were over 200 people in line and EPCOT was chaotic. I am not sure how many shirts they ended up giving out but I stood in line for nearly 2 hours to get the books signed and visit with Monty a bit. I sent my Mom to DCA to get the passholder shirt there just to see how busy it was and she indicated not too many people where there. I'm on the plane now headed back to LA for another Disney artist (Noah) event this evening so if I have time, I'm going to swing by just to see how many shirts, if any, are left.

I'm going to remain hopeful and see how things go. At least I have a much better understanding on a lot of the "behind the scenes" things that many of us don't know -- many of the major gripes I had with Duffy's release last year. I appreciate that the passion that some of the artists do have for their craft, I am just seeing how limited they are by all the red tape that most corporations, and certainly Disney, are known for.

I'm working on editing photos and my write up on the event yesterday, will try to post a few pics when I get done later today.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I too was surprised about how many people were in line. I got there about 10:45. A lot of people had their Duffys with them. Adults and kids. I waited about a hour to meet Monty. He seems like a really nice guy. I did get the shirt and I think it's cute. I thought it was a really nice event by Disney. They also gave everyone one of those Duffy on a sticks that you find at the Kidcot Fun Stops around Epcot.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Stopped by Treasures in Paradise at DCA yesterday around 10:15am. A small sign outside the shop announced the release of the book. 2 suits were standing outside next to the sign. Inside there were about a dozen other Duffy fans purchasing the new storybook. No line at the counter, I picked up the new Sorcerer outfit (Aviator costume was available) and the free t-shirt.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Adventures with Duffy

I didn't know the new sorcerer and aviator costumes were out. Im so not in the know. lol

Im glad to see so many showed up at WDW, sorry to hear there weren't more at DCA. I wanted to go but didn't have time. How is the quality of the free t-shirt?

Interesting that OLC maybe controlling the quality of costumes in other parks. Makes sense I guess. Just means Duffy wont find his fan base in other parks as much. I wish they could come up with something compromise with the costumes so other parks could get better quality. Glad you had a good time poohstraveler.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Wag More, Bark Less!

The quality for the shirt is just okay. Nothing special, but I think it's kind of cute. I will have to post a picture of Duffy wearing it. The company that made the shirt is named Nantong Golden Phoenix Toy Manufacturing Co. The shirt can fit both the smaller predressed Duffy and the 17'. I so want the Aviator outfit. They are not at Epcot yet, but hopefully soon....

• Adventures with Duffy

Thanks. Wow it will fit the pre-dressed ones and the 17". I hope its not to small for the 17" bear. Im not sure why DCA gets somethings first and why WDW get some things first. You would think it would be at the same time.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for sharing some insight, Poohstraveler. I know I knocked Monty's artwork before, and I'm sure he's nice. I guess maybe his creativity is stifled by Disney too, so that his work is compromised? I didn't know that OLC had a say in what happened with Duffy...very interesting. I can understand it, but also, I hope that Disney can find a way to work around it.

What you said about Paris hiring actual fashion designers for Duffy costumes gives me great hope, and I have always wanted something like that to happen. I can't wait to see what they can come up with.

• You have much to learn...

Ok, I just returned home from WDW on 10/14- I was in Epcot that day & really didn't know anything about the release of the new book or merchandise. I happened to stop by the Duffy shop in Epcot a little before 1pm- I saw the book and was a little excited by it. My friend asked me why there was a line around the shop-which at first I didn't see- when I saw Monty's name & looked in the book, which is then when I realized it was a signing event.

I was a bit upset that they had cut off the signing line & I couldn't get it autographed. Since I don't have a smartphone and really had no internet access the past week, I knew nothing about it. Also, I was in Epcot a few times this past week & didn't see any advertisement for it at all.

I am a passholder & used my pass to purchase the books- but wasn't told or offered a T-shirt, unless they were gone by then.

I just started to read this thread this morning which is how I found out about the free t-shirts.

I didn't realize just how much an uproar this new book has caused here- come on everyone- it is just a book with a different perspective on Duffy. Yes, I agree Duffy's true roots came from TDS, but also realize the original Disney Bear was created way before then in WDW & DL. To me, it's just a different story about Duffy.

We all know what a stir Shellie May caused when she was introduced in TDS. Eventually she was accepted by the die hard Duffy fans.

Yes, we all know by now just how much the US Disney parks have exploited and cheapened Duffy. He will never have the same following as he does in Japan, and still hasn't really found his way in Disneyland or Disney World- but give the poor bear a chance.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

Thank you Jedimaster7313! I agree with you about the book. I love the book and think it's sweet. I also like that it is different.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    …I didn't realize just how much an uproar this new book has caused here- come on everyone- it is just a book with a different perspective on Duffy.
    If it was actually creatively different I might be inclined to agree with you, but as it stands, I'm not seeing it "different" so much as less. I'd have been okay with them making something original and full of heart, but I just don't think that's what this is. And as far as "it is just a book" — Duffy has no film, no cartoon series (thank goodness), and in the US no deep merchandising to tell seasonal stories or create his sense of place. Plus there is an army of Duffy detractors who still think he's nothing but a greedy, heartless cash cow. The story matters, and this story feeds right into the detractors' image of Disney's intentions with Duffy. No? I'm happy to listen, but explain a little. Help me see where you're coming from, cos I really don't understand how there's even a debate here.

Yes, I agree Duffy's true roots came from TDS, but also realize the original Disney Bear was created way before then in WDW & DL. To me, it's just a different story about Duffy.
    The Disney Bear and Duffy are fundamentally different concepts. One is a branded gimmicky product and Duffy is a genuine character worthy of love. Since you said it again, I'll say it again, too. This new US story does not try to say something "different;" it's just a watered down version of the Japanese original. All the scenes and beats are exactly the same, and the artwork is a direct copy many, many times. It's not even "inspired by," it's a knock-off. It's exactly the kind of thing Disney would take someone to court over. It looks like a bootleg. No?

We all know what a stir Shellie May caused when she was introduced in TDS. Eventually she was accepted by the die hard Duffy fans.
    What a perfect example! We accepted her because she was supported so clearly, so deeply, so strongly and so consistently by the love of OLC's Duffy Team that we couldn't help loving her, too! We did more than "accept" her; we fell in with her because she was clearly invested with a greater intention than just making money, even if making money is OLC's goal, too. I'm not seeing that with US Duffy. If you are, please, help me to see it, too — I'm really asking!

Yes, we all know by now just how much the US Disney parks have exploited and cheapened Duffy. He will never have the same following as he does in Japan, and still hasn't really found his way in Disneyland or Disney World- but give the poor bear a chance.
    Don't you think he might have a better shot with people who'd really care about him of we didn't always need disclaimers like "we all know by now just how much the US Disney parks have exploited and cheapened Duffy?" I guess the thing is that you seem to think more people would "never" become Duffy fans anyway, whereas I think it's all about the delivery and presentation. Duffy does have something special, and there are plenty of folks who live it when they see it. But the Walt Disney Company isn't giving those poor folks a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    Thank you Jedimaster7313! I agree with you about the book. I love the book and think it's sweet. I also like that it is different.
    Updebrooke, I apologize if my opinions make you uncomfortable or offend you. Honestly, I hadn't even considered the possibility that someone might genuinely prefer the US version. I'm not saying that to insult anyone's taste, either. I'm talking about my own apparent blinders. I sincerely hadn't even entertained the notion that this story could be seen as anything other than a hack of the original. I thought some might not think it's as big a problem as me, for sure. But I didn't imagine that anyone thought the American version was better. Can you tell me in detail what you like about it and help me understand why? I'd to not be sad or angry when I think about US Duffy. I really, really tried at the start. I was as excited as anyone about the launch last year. But after a string of disappointments, I'm just not seeing the love. If you can help, I'll be happy and grateful.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-17-2011 at 06:11 PM.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

No offense taken. I'm just easily amused I guess. I don't think the American one is better, I just don't want to complain that's all. It's better than nothing. I know the one in Japan is nicer and means more.

• Lemony Goodness

Apparently, on the original Disney Bear, the hang tag said that after the park closed, Mickey hugged his bear so tight that it left a Mickey imprint on his face. Pretty lame story, right? Can anyone confirm this?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^ Yep. That's pretty much the story. He was in the Magic Kingdom one night after closing with his teddy bear and hugged him so tight it left his famous silhouette on the bear's face. I remember looking through the original Disney Bear storybook back in 2002 when he first came out. The ironic part of it all is at Once Upon a Toy at WDW's Downtown Disney, the section of the store devoted to Duffy now is the same section of the store that was devoted to Disney Bear back then, plus they had a pull down backdrop to do meet & greets with Disney Bear right there in the store. That's how I learned about the bear and got my photo with him all those years ago. I just happened to be in the store when it was meet & greet time. I watched for a moment and though, "Well, he's really cute! I'll get my photo with him... why not?" Sadly I can't find that original photo (It's probably on my old desktop computer that died years ago), but I at least have the photo I got with him and Baloo during Teddy Bear & Doll Weekend at Epcot in 2007. I remember getting excited and yelling "DISNEY BEAR!" when I saw him. The CM's were surprised I knew exactly who he was. Heh!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast