Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Felice Natale!

Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    …I'm just easily amused I guess.
    I really tried to go out of my way to make it clear that's not what I was saying, so I hope it came out right.^^ I really am interested in hearing a perspective that redeems Disney, if such can be made plausible. I earnestly wanted to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    I don't think the American one is better, I just don't want to complain that's all. It's better than nothing. I know the one in Japan is nicer and means more.
    I guess that's our sticking point, then. I do think it's worth complaining about. I think it would be better for people not to know Duffy at all — there's always the chance they might be introduced — than to think they know him and hate him, without ever knowing what the character is really about at all. I think he deserves better, but I understand where you're coming from better now. Thanks.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-18-2011 at 08:24 AM.

• I love that tiny bear!

OK, this is a stretch, but one thing that just came to my mind for the US Duffy versus Japanese Duffy is the old Mickey Mouse cartoon "Plane Crazy."

So 1928/1929 Mickey Mouse commits a few acts of animal abuse, takes Minnie up in his airplane, and eventually tries repeatedly to prod Minnie into kissing him. After being rebuffed, he gets the idea to fly his airplane very erratically to try to scare her into a kiss. When she's shaking in fear he grins kind of wickedly and again tries to coax a kiss from her. When the terrified Minnie refuses, he forcibly kisses her. She slaps him and struts right off that airplane and uses her bloomers as a parachute to escape.

Now, I assume the Disney Bear was never prone to abusing women and animals. But most people will say Plane Crazy is about Mickey and Minnie, and in fact you can see it at Disneyland. Does it represent the current characterization of Mickey and Minnie? Not at all (though I quite like that spunky Minnie). Are man-slapping, parachute-jumping Minnie and bear-sewing, cookie-baking Minnie the same character? Or are they two different Minnies? To me, despite the fact that these Minnies do not look or act at all alike, somehow, they are both Minnie.

So in that regard, maybe the fulness of a character can be more than the storylines and characterizations, and even something more than the physical appearance. I don't really understand what that deeper connection is, or if it's just the fact that these mice were named Mickey and Minnie so that's who they are, no matter what they do or look like. Or if it's the idea is that characters, like people, can grow and change. Maybe all of those things.

Now, obviously 80 years is a lot longer than Duffy has been around, so Mickey and Minnie had a lot longer to change. And it appears Mickey at least has grown much more mature (while I can't agree with anyone who thinks the US Duffy is an improvement in character over Japan's).

But I think there is some precedent for people to think of some characters as being the same character regardless of substantial changes in personality and even appearance. And Duffy--like Mickey--might be kind of an open-ended character, able to be what you want/need him to be. The same Mickey at Disneyland can be a steamboat captain, wizard, band conductor, etc., a little like Duffy can be friends with anyone, visit anywhere, etc. Just today, I've read that Aimster's Duffy is friendly and her Shellie May is mostly shy, while there are evidently a few really chatty Shellie Mays out there!

Anyway, in that regard, I think I can maybe see why some people like the US Duffy because they see him as Duffy, regardless of the storyline or even if he's the Disney Bear.

• Felice Natale!

Loving you more with every post, Eeee-va! This doesn't really change my mind, as so far I think it's a "simplified" version that takes away from the character rather than a different-but-complimentary interpretation that deepens the definition of Duffy. But if they did actually make, for example, a "scrappier" Duffy, I'd be for it. I don't think that's what happened or is happening, but I totally dig your perspective!^^

By the by, we still get glimpses of that Minnie in her reactions to other characters and situations, but toned down. Mickey, too, still causes mischief sometimes, but usually by accident or just kidding. And in Kingdom Hearts, he's a force of nature! It's like you said, the characters matured with audiences. That's different from dumbing down and diluting. And I gotta say, as much as violent abuse is not okay, overly "cleaned up" might scrub away the soul. Balance is important here.

• Munchings & Crunchings

That was a great post, Eeee-va, and it does make a good point. The one thing that Mickey and Minnie have over Duffy is exposure, and time. The mice have had so many stories over the years, and have been stars of the big screen, small screen, stage, and theme park. They are everywhere. I think they have been watered down from the black & white shorts, like you mentioned. After all, we don't see Mickey swinging a cat around by the tail anymore. Even during Walt's time, Mickey turned from barnyard scrapper to suburban family man, and that actually frustrated Walt. So much so, that they focused less on Mickey, and let Donald be the star, because he could still get away with being mean.

With Duffy, I think it's just so early, and he doesn't have nearly the exposure of the mice, so he needs to stay focused for a bit. I do agree that Duffy can be many things to many people, and DuffyDaisuki has said in the past "Every Duffy is Duffy". It's just that, personally, I wish for Disney to put the same level of quality, detail, and perhaps love into the Duffy experience that they do in Japan. It doesn't have to be identical, but I sure wish that Duffy could be an instance where the company were not seen as a greedy corporation. Or...at least not seem to stifle creativity with Duffy, and let the artists go nuts with concepts. I'm sure even Monty Maldovan could do great things if he were allowed to stray from corporate mandates.

• You have much to learn...

Ok, First I will admit that I haven't read the book yet & haven't read the Japan version of the book in a while- so I haven't really reviewed the two stories, photos, details, etc- So I really can't comment much on the comparison of the US & Japan origins of Duffy.

I know how passionate many are about TDR's Duffy vs. the re-introduced Duffy in WDW & DL. I was just surprised about how a new book release was causing such controversy on this thread. I knew of the original origins of the Disney Bear too where Mickey was hugging a bear and left famous mouse ear silhouette on the bear & the backstory behind Duffy in Disney Sea.

I don't know the real reasons behind why the US changed or simplified the story behind Duffy- for all I know it could be just a difference between the two cultures of the United States & Japan. It could also be just the Disney company screwing up things- as I know they have done in the past.

I really don't see the whole Duffy craze catching on in the US as it has in Japan & I've known that since they first made the announcement last year. I believe that Disneyland and DisneyWorld are trying to jump on the bandwagon & hopes that Duffy does catch on in the US and becomes as popular as he is in TDS. With Disney it is mostly about money- You see how quickly Duffy merchandise flies off the shelves in TDS & I'm sure the US wants the same thing to occur here.

I assume the book coming out here is just a way to introduce Duffy to the US markets. Other than the few members here, who know and love Duffy - most people don't even realize there is a backstory to Duffy, so basically this new book is a way to let all the newcomers know about Duffy.

Maybe Disney should have used the same story that originated in TDS, rather than a simplified version of it- I don't really know the reasoning behind it & really can't say I agree or disagree with it.

Duffy really hasn't done very well in the US since he was introduced last year- at least not to the success he's had in Japan and I can belive in the future, he will most likey be faded out & hit the Disney outlets like the original Disney bear. But I'm sure his success will continue in TDS.

I know I'm just rambling on now- I can't really express myself as eloquently as others do, but I'm just taking the book for what it's worth- Like some others, I have the original Disney Bear from years ago, I have Duffy from TDS, along with some of his books & now have the re-introduced version from WDW/DL- so I have a few different versions or variations of the Disney Bear/Duffy legacy. I hope to enjoy each Duffy story in it's own way- but I do realize that the more heartfelt version arose from Disney Sea & that is my favorite- I just won't let a slightly different version of the story get me down and it really shouldn't upset any other Duffy fans.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's new book at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I do agree that Duffy can be many things to many people, and DuffyDaisuki has said in the past "Every Duffy is Duffy".
    And I strongly believe that. But the full quote is "Every Duffy is Different & Every Duffy is Duffy." It has to actually be different, not just less. 'Sall'm sayin'.^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I wish for Disney to put the same level of quality, detail, and perhaps* love into the Duffy experience that they do in Japan...I sure wish that Duffy could be an instance where the company were not seen as a greedy corporation...
    *What the heck, man? There's no "perhaps" for me here. Of course they have to love him! You want me to shell out cash for him, you gotta love him, too! If you don't, quit and give me your job!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    ...I just won't let a slightly different version of the story get me down and it really shouldn't upset any other Duffy fans.
    I wish it was this easy for me. I just think if one person who calls Duffy "that stupid bear gimmick that takes the place of other real characters that I hate because it's so stupid and...stupid" might open up a little more if they heard the story or saw the costumes made with real heart and artistry, then it's worth it to beat the drum and hope Disney cares as much as I do about reaching those same people. The people who are gonna like Duffy even with this story and cheaper costumes are gonna like him even with more ambitious stuff, too. In fact, they might even love him more. Imagine if the US/HK*/Paris* releases were so freaking good and there were so many Duffy fans all over the world that we all just traded stuff with each other cos we all had great stuff? I'd that!!!^^

*Speaking of HK and Paris, any word on what their Christmas releases are gonna be like? (Make a NEW thread if you know, as that's a different topic)
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-18-2011 at 08:41 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    And I strongly believe that. But the full quote is "Every Duffy is Different & Every Duffy is Duffy." It has to actually be different, not just less. 'Sall'm sayin'.^^
    Yes, I forgot that part. Every Duffy is different, and equal.

What the heck, man? There's no "perhaps" for me here. Of course they have to love him! You want me to shell out cash for him, you gotta love him, too! If you don't, quit and give me your job!
    LOL, I guess when I said "perhaps", I was thinking in terms of Disney corporate and thinking that "love" would be the last thing they think about. They should, but in my head, I was thinking it was more like pleading with them to love Duffy.

I wish it was this easy for me. I just think if one person who calls Duffy "that stupid bear gimmick that takes the place of other real characters that I hate because it's so stupid and...stupid" might open up a little more if they heard the story or saw the costumes made with real heart and artistry, then it's worth it to beat the drum and hope Disney cares as much as I do about reaching those same people. The people who are gonna like Duffy even with this story and cheaper costumes are gonna like him even with more ambitious stuff, too. In fact, they might even love him more. Imagine if the US/HK*/Paris* releases were so freaking good and there were so many Duffy fans all over the world that we all just traded stuff with each other cos we all had great stuff? I'd that!!!^^
    Yeah, I think Micechat is one of the few places where Duffy bashing isn't happening...at least here it's not. I see other forums where every single person trashes on Duffy. There are many, many people who hate him, and I mean with a passion. To them he's not a character, just a symbol of corporate greed, and they want him gone. We may never win any of those people, but if the quality was there, and the story, and "love", maybe it would soften more people's hearts. It kind of doesn't help though, that Disney IS being (or appears to be) greedy here. Maybe OLC is greedy too, but they sure as heck hide it well enough so that the whole Duffy phenomenon seems almost home-grown. That could very well be a uniquely Japanese thing though. I really can't wait to see what the Hong Kong and Paris teams do though. Even if the first stuff at DLP is identical to the US costumes, I hope new, original stuff shows up next year.

*Speaking of HK and Paris, any word on what their Christmas releases are gonna be like? (Make a NEW thread if you know, as that's a different topic)
    Yeah, do we have any clues yet? I know Aimster said that Paris is getting all the same costumes as the US right now, but are there any hints at holiday costumes for Hong Kong or Paris?

• I also like Stitch!

Oh hey, I can do Duffy for my literary character pumpkin project for English as Duffy is a character in a book. Yay!

• Munchings & Crunchings

If it's a pumpkin project, make sure Duffy is wearing his best pumpkin costume!

• I love that tiny bear!

Every Duffy is Different & Every Duffy is Duffy.
    LOVE IT!

Unfortunately, I think many people will think Duffy is a money-grab whether the quality is great or poor. Just like some people say ALL the food at Disney is overpriced, or the T-shirts are too expensive, etc. It's Disneyland/Disney World so unless the price is identical to the cheapest you can find a similar (even inferior!) item off-property, some people will think they're being fleeced.

On the other hand, a lot of people--especially on MiceChat--will gladly spend on Disney items if they think the quality is there. It's a lot harder to defend against the "Disney greed" criticism if the quality doesn't seem to match the price.

I do think that there ARE some US items that are quality and still a fair value. I think the Duffy plushie magnet is excellent quality--his head turns!--and like others have said, I'll bet he's the same one you get in Japan. IMO he is a great value at $8 US. (And I am actually generally cheap--not the "Disneyland is too expensive" kind of cheap but the "I can't spend that kind of money for a _____, even if I like it" kind of cheap.) The sorcerer's apprentice outfit also looks very nice. If all US items had that quality-to-price ratio, maybe Duffy would be more popular.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I was going through the book and I just noticed this. Not sure if anyone else has noticed. On page 31 of the book where Mickey's friends are showing their photos of where they have been, there is a reference to California Adventure. The photo with Goofy has the rock formation of Grizzly Peak. Thought that was kind of cool.

• Felice Natale!

That is cool. It's a step, for sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345