Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

US Duffy quality vs. Japan Duffy quality

I really regret not getting Duffy when I was in Tokyo a few years ago. I feel so behind! So, as I have the Duffy bear sold in the US parks, I'm curious about the quality of the bear itself sold in TDS. I've had a few "chunks" of fur fall out of my Duffy in the two weeks I've had him, and I've barely had the chance to take him anywhere yet! Has anyone else experienced this? Other than our hour-long trip to DCA on Friday, I've really only been measuring him and fitting him for custom clothes, which certainly shouldn't cause his fur to fall out...
    I would like to know if anyone that has both the US bear and the Tokyo bear can tell the difference in the quality of the construction. A cast member told me on Friday that they plan to release Shellie May early next year, and I'd like to know if I should get the Tokyo Shellie instead of waiting.

Thank you for your time!

• Become part of MY world!

Re: US Duffy quality vs. Japan Duffy quality

From what I've heard, the bears themselves are the same exact ones from Tokyo. But when I first got Shellie May about a year ago, I did notice that her mouth was embroidered on instead of just being sewn on in Duffy. I haven't had any problems with my Duffy and I've had him for a year now. But I do think the quality did change. At first they were really nice, but as this first year progressed, I noticed the Duffys they're selling now are smaller than the originally released ones, have different faces, and just overall slightly cheaper looking. Of course he is SUPER cute, well at least mine is I would definitely get Shellie from japan, though, it's lightyears better in just the hangtags themselves! I'm sure if they bring her to the states(which I really don't want to happen personally), she will be cheaper quality and won't live up to the quality standard in Japan. After all, almost every Duffy item released in US is far inferior to the Japan product.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've had a few "chunks" of fur fall out of my Duffy in the two weeks I've had him, and I've barely had the chance to take him anywhere yet! Has anyone else experienced this?
    I've had my Duffy for almost a year and that hasn't happened to me.

Also, both the US and Japan Duffys (and Shellie May) are made in Vietnam, so they should be pretty much the same quality and such.

I see. Hmm, well I suppose I should find out if a family member can pick one up for me sometime because I'd really love to have Shellie too. Though, I'll definitely love my Duffy even if his fur falls out!
    I'm really disappointed in the quality of the clothing here - I think I'll have stick to making all of his clothes. I've only bought the aviator outfit because I couldn't resist the jacket, and the quality of that outfit makes me wonder why I spent money on it. The goggles are terribly made, and the "zipper" is just a rectangle made of the same material as the hat. If only the Japanese clothes were easier to get. I wouldn't mind spending more to have nicer things for him to wear.

I bought BAB's aviator outfit (which is really for Snoopy, but...) and it looks like the quality is better than Disney's. I LOVE the bomber jacket. The zipper is a generic zipper but it sounds better than what Disney did. I'm hoping the costumes the US parks come out with next year up the quality standards.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I don't know much about the quality differences, but I've noticed that my ShellieMay from Japan has softer fur than my Duffy from Disneyland
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

My Duffy had soft fur like Shellie May when I got him a year ago, but after carrying him around and changing his clothes a bazillion times, his fur has gotten a bit tattered, but I re-fluff him up using a soft bristle brush. My "backup" Duffy still has soft fur because I haven't handled him as much. My Shellie May is starting to get a little tattered from carrying her around and changing her clothes a lot, but to me it gives the bears personality and shows they're well-loved.

• I also like Stitch!

I'm actually planning on getting a real Japanese Duffy and giving Duffleganger to my sister for Christmas. I want him so bad.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    I'm actually planning on getting a real Japanese Duffy and giving Duffleganger to my sister for Christmas. I want him so bad.
    I feel like I already replied to this, but I'm not seeing it. As far as I can tell, the bears, keychains and other plush items are all the same. It's the costumes and story-/event-based merchandise that is of lower quality. I think the bears are identical except for the tags. There's really no reason to import Duffy unless you really feel strongly about having a Tokyo DisneySEA tag.

---------- Post added 10-19-2011 at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cheshiremomo View Post
    ...I'm really disappointed in the quality of the clothing here - I think I'll have stick to making all of his clothes. I've only bought the aviator outfit because I couldn't resist the jacket, and the quality of that outfit makes me wonder why I spent money on it. The goggles are terribly made, and the "zipper" is just a rectangle made of the same material as the hat. If only the Japanese clothes were easier to get. I wouldn't mind spending more to have nicer things for him to wear.
    If only the US clothes were of higher quality... Listen up, Disney! This is your fan base. Surely someone there reads this sometimes, right?

• Munchings & Crunchings

At least match Build-a-Bear in quality. Obviously they can manage to keep costs down and have decent quality. I haven't seen the aviator costume in person, but from what I hear, it's lower than BAB's. I've seen and felt the Snoopy bomber jacket from there, and it's well made for the price. I mean, $10.50 for a jacket seems ok. It has a real working zipper, and it's also lined. It feels sturdy. Disney should at least be able to compare to the competition...

I took some close-up pictures of the aviator outfit, and I can take more if people ask for it.

The velcro to close the jacket refuses to line up properly, so it always shows. And as you can see, the zipper is... well, it's not a zipper. This part bothers me the most on the jacket.
    Name:  P1050347.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  86.5 KB

The goggles really bother me. They are TERRIBLY made. The ring around them is flimsy, so it doesn't support the plasticy lenses. They don't sit well on his face, and they don't really go on top of his head either, so they sit sort of in between. And the worst part is that the goggles are sewn in at the seams on the cap - meaning they're going to be very hard to remove cleanly. I'm going to try anyway, and I'll post my results later.
    Name:  P1050345.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  84.7 KBName:  P1050346.JPG
Views: 901
Size:  93.1 KB

Despite all the obvious flaws, the aviator outfit is generally a cute outfit. I love the wing detail on the back, and the furry collar feels very much like my own bomber jacket. The cap is decently made, and the materials are decent quality, even if they aren't put together well. On the plus side, the cap is very cute.
    Name:  P1050344.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  89.7 KBName:  P1050348.JPG
Views: 897
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by cheshiremomo; 10-19-2011 at 07:57 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thank you for those pictures! It helps make decisions. I do think that the jacket from BAB is better quality. However, there are some merits to the Disney version. Is the jacket lined at all?

I like the embroidered patch on the back, I didn't know that existed until you posted this picture. The cap does look cute. So, really, my issues with this are the zipper (or lack of), the fake pockets, and the bad goggles. Everything else looks ok, actually. If the jacket is lined, that's one more plus.

In case people haven't seen photos of the BAB bomber jacket, here it is in comparison to Disney's:

And with the Snoopy flying ace aviator hat and scarf:

I'm not at home right now and I don't remember if the jacket is lined, so I'll check later. So far, he's only worn this outfit for these pictures from last night so I'm not too familiar with it yet.

But the pockets and "zipper" bother me so much. I'm going to remove the zipper part completely, but I won't bother with the pockets since the fabric the jacket is made of will show the holes when the thread is taken out. I really do love the patch though. It's a nice detail, though I wish they'd have put as much effort as they did there into the rest of the construction.

Compared to the BAB jacket, it's poorly done. But I do like the contrasting color of the hem and sleeves, the patch, and the cap on the Disney outfit.

• I love that tiny bear!

Wow--I understand it's not that well-constructed, but if you squint and ignore that, the Duffy jacket is adorable! The patch is very nice!

False pockets don't personally bother me terribly, since people-clothes sometimes have false pockets, too. Though real ones would have been wonderful.

The false zipper......ugh. The more charitable explanation I can think of is that the CPSIA has some really outlandish requirements for lead testing children's toys, and an item with a metal zipper would be less likely to pass the required third-party inspections.

But given that BAB's jacket has a zipper, I feel like the more plausible explanation is that Disney is being cheap. I think a zipper and hard/solid-lensed goggles probably would've made the outfit (even if they made Duffy slightly less huggable).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast