Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

Thank you for the bow pattern--very cute and excellent details for new seamstresses/tailors, and also untrained ones. (I didn't understand clipping the edges until I'd been sewing for QUITE some time.)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Wow…

THANK YOU, Sandrita!!!^^

Your Shellie is sure lucky to have been adopted by someone so talented! Both my Shellie and Duffy saw this and exclaimed, "See?! Why don't you make us stuff like that?"

It was my pleasure. Duffy and ShellieMay have brought tremendous joy into my life and my world. They've reignited my passion for sewing and it's a joy to share this with all of you.

I just finished sewing a kitty costume for my sister for Halloween and had the perfect size scrap to make ShellieMay a bow. This is the leftover piece from the cat’s tail.

I made the bow a little differently. There are less steps in this method of construction.

Fabric: You will need a piece of fabric that is at least 13” long and 4” wide.

Notions: Matching tread, 15” of 3/8” wide elastic and 100% Polyester Stuffing.

Name:  01 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  67.0 KB

1. Fold elastic in 1/2. (If you are a beginner, I suggest you put a few hand stitches in the elastic to hold the ends together.)

2. Fold fabric in half and pin the elastic in the center of the seam. Pin the remaining seam edges and stitch along seam line. 1/4” seam allowance.

Name:  02 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Size:  77.0 KB

3. Refold fabric, placing the seam in the center of the bow. I used a piece of chalk to round the edges of the bow. Then pin your seams and leave at least 1 and 1/2” opening to turn and stuff the bow. I add a cross pin to remind myself where I will start and stop my stitching.

Name:  03 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  72.0 KB

4. If you used very small seam allowances, you will not have to trim the excess fabric. If you have wider seams you need to grade your seam allowances (trim one seam allowance to 1/8” and the other to 1/4”) and clip little triangles in the circle so that the curves lie flat after they are turned.) Turn the bow right side out. Stuff your bow and then hand or machine stitch the opening closed.

(sorry - didn't get a picture of this step)

5. Use the remaining piece of fabric for your center loop. Pin the seam allowance and stitch.

Name:  04 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

6. Turn the loop right side out. Pleat your bow, place loop around the center and hand stitch into place.

Name:  05 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  44.5 KB

That should do it.

Name:  06 Duffy the Disney Bear _SM Black Bow.jpg
Size:  107.0 KB

Sandrita

• I love that tiny bear!

Thanks, Sandrita! The above method should work for a tiny Shellie May (or Duffy) bow as well, though I think when I make one I will hand-sew.

Love this thread! My mom has keychain Duffy and I have keychain Shellie May and we have made simple, fun costumes and outfits for both of them. I'll post pictures and instructions soon!

Eeee-va, will you be removing Shellie May's current bow? I'm not sure how it's attached and of course her current Halloween costume is preventing further inspection
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Practically No-Sew Skirt for ShellieMay

ShellieMay helped me to make my first almost completely no-sew skirt. It’s nice and simple and you don’t need a sewing machine! It worked out pretty well and I think it will work well for the small keychain bears.

I am saying almost completely no-sew because you need to secure the elastic with some hand stitches.

Fabric: 1/4 yard of 44”-45” wide fabric. You are going to be working with ‘fusibles’, so it is very important to prewash your fabric according to the manufacture’s instructions. You’ll find the information on the end of the fabric bolt next to the price of the fabric.

Notions: Lite Steam-A-Seam 1/8” wide, 15 inches of 3/8” wide elastic, any color thread, Liquid Stitch (optional)

Name:  01 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  163.8 KB

Cut fabric strip 30” long and 6 and 3/4” wide. (These are the measurements that I used, but obviously, you can make the skirt fuller by adding to the length and longer by adding to the width.)

On the back seam, place the Steam-A-Seam 1/4 inch from the edge on the right side of the fabric and apply with the manufacture’s directions. Peal the paper.

Name:  02 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  120.5 KB

(This step not pictured.) Put the center back seam edges together and once again press according to the manufacture’s directions to secure your seam. Then press the seam allowance to one side.

Next, on both the casing edge (where you’ll insert the elastic) and on the hem edge, turn under 1/4 inch, pin and press.

Name:  03 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  174.9 KB

Next, on the casing edge, fold over 1” and on the hem edge fold over another 3/8”. Pin and press.

Name:  04 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  118.2 KB

Then open up the second fold and place the Steam-A-Seam just a millimeter or so away from the edge of the hem. Fold over and press to secure.

Name:  05 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  135.2 KB

When placing the Steam-A-Seam on the casing edge, leave a 2” opening to insert the elastic. Fold over and press to secure.

Name:  06 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  143.3 KB

Next, with a safety pin, insert your elastic through the casing.

Name:  07 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Size:  110.1 KB

This is where you’ll need to do some hand sewing. Over lap the edges of the elastic and stitch to secure. Since the elastic is on the inside, you don’t have to worry what your stitches will look like or what color thread you use.

Name:  08 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Size:  119.0 KB

Finally! Finish the casing. I decided to use some Liquid Stitch to close the opening. You can use your Steam-A-Seam or hand sew the opening closed.

Name:  09 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  133.1 KB

........ and your skirt is complete!!!

Name:  10 Duffy the Disney Bear_No Sew Skirt 01.jpg
Size:  149.0 KB

You can add trims with the Steam-A-Seam or Liquid Stitch as well. I hope some of you give this a try! They sell so many wonderful ribbons and trims for you to really get creative and make your little girl some wonderful little skirts.

Sandrita
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sandrita; 10-23-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
    Love this thread! My mom has keychain Duffy and I have keychain Shellie May and we have made simple, fun costumes and outfits for both of them. I'll post pictures and instructions soon!

Eeee-va, will you be removing Shellie May's current bow? I'm not sure how it's attached and of course her current Halloween costume is preventing further inspection

I'm so exited! I can hardly wait to see your pictures!

Sandrita

• I love that tiny bear!

Great skirt, Sandrita!

Esmeralda, when I get my tiny Shellie May yes, I will be removing her bow. I will most likely make bows using clear elastic bands as a band that can go all around her head to hold them on. I haven't tried yet, though, as I still need to make at least one outfit for the bear I have in-hand, LOL. Though Duffy has told me he is not above serving as a model for Shellie May. Should I be concerned?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, turns out the pea coat my aunt sent is one of the ones she bought so she could copy it and make a pattern so she can make more in different colors.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrita View Post
    Practically No-Sew Skirt for ShellieMay!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    …Though Duffy has told me he is not above serving as a model for Shellie May. Should I be concerned?

• Munchings & Crunchings

Really great things we have going on in here! One of these days when I have free time, I want to attempt sewing myself. Everyone has been inspiring!

• Become part of MY world!

Wow! AWESOME tips Sandrita! Can't wait to try these tips! Im gonna start sewing again soon! I'm so excited!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Here are a couple of pictures of key chain Duffy and Shellie May in their handmade outfits. Instructions are forthcoming, I want to make sure they're as clear as possible prior to posting.

First we have Duffy and Shellie May on tour in Quebec. Shellie May has donned her French Countryside skirt with matching scarf. Duffy has his own scarf, in what we lovingly call Duffy Plaid.

Aren't they adorable at the Jardin Bontanique Montreal?

Duffy insisted that I include this picture of him taken along the Terrasse Dufferin in Quebec City. He is quite certain the Apartments Dufferin were named for him!

Next we have Halloween Costumes, inspired by Tokyo Disney Sea's 10th Anniversary costumes. Capes are so simple to make, and an extra long ribbon gave Shellie May a chance to try a new style of bow!

Happy Halloween from Sorcerer Duffy and Sorceress Shellie May! Perhaps they will go trick-or-treating together this year!

Let me know what you think and I'll add full instructions soon.
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• I love that tiny bear!

Esmeralda is that, what, Vera Bradley? My mom LOVES her stuff!!!! LOL. Looking forward to seeing all your cute keychain patterns...I LOVE Shellie May's skirt especially! Also love Keychain Duffy's picture by "his" apartments. Too cute!

Aweeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Esmeralda, your Duffy & ShellieMay are so adorable! You are inspiring me to try some outfits for my little ones! Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast