Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

Eee-va, that sure is Vera Bradley! My mom and I carry it whenever we travel and now that Shellie May and Duffy have joined our family, they are always attached and ready for another adventure.

Here is the pattern for Shellie May's skirt. I don't have any photos of the steps, but they are fairly simple and I'll be writing lots of details.

Keychain Shellie May's Skirt Pattern
    Fabric: 20" x 4", see instructions in step 1
    Notions: matching or coordinating thread, 1/4" or 3/8" elastic, pins
    1. Choose Fabric.
    - Fabric must not fray OR
    - Zig-zag cut edges OR
    - Cut with pinking shears OR
    - Add Fray Check to cut edges (note that this will make the edges stiff)
    2. Cut 20" x 4"
    3. Create Casing for Elastic
    - fold over long edge of fabric 3/4", wrong sides together, pin
    - stitch using 1/4" seam allowance along cut edge
    4. Create Bottom Hem
    - repeat Step 3 with other long edge of fabric
    5. Insert Elastic
    - attach safety pin to one end of elastic
    - use pin to help slide elastic through casing created in Step 3
    - scrunch fabric around elastic until it is approximately the size of Shellie May's waist
    - pin ends of elastic together
    6. Fitting
    - make an appointment with Shellie May for a fitting
    - place skirt around Shellie May's waist and loosen or tighten elastic until it fits comfortably
    - re-pin elastic at the final size, DO NOT cut off
    - thank Shellie May for her patience and inform her that her new skirt will be finished soon
    7. Finish Inside Seam
    - match short ends of fabric, right sides together, pin
    - stitch along cut edge using 1/4" seam allowance
    - cut off excess elastic
    - zig-zag raw edges
    8. Celebrate!
    - Present Shellie May with her new skirt
    - Take Shellie May out for an ice cream treat so she can show off her new outfit to the world!

Notes
    - The reason for all the fabric instructions is because this skirt will be too small for a rolled hem.
    - I used a machine for the sewing, but it could easily be done by hand.
    - Duffy usually resides at my mom's house, so when she's sewing a skirt for Shellie May, she'll ask Duffy to be a model. He's usually flattered to be such a big help in making a surprise present for his special gal.
    - If you have any left over fabric scraps, they make excellent scarves and bows (Duffy likes bow ties) to accessorize!

Finally, if you have any questions at all, please don't be afraid to ask. This is the first time I've written a sewing pattern and I'd love to help clear up any confusion.

Also, if any of you need fabric, especially for keychain Shellie May, please send me a PM. We have a lot of fabric scraps that would be suitable and would be more than happy to send them to you free of charge.

My computer is just crawling right now, but I will add a photo of the skirt turned inside out as soon as possible. Happy stitching!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Here is the photo of the reverse of one of Shellie May's skirts, as promised! It's upside-down, but you get the general idea. If anyone has any questions, please do let me know!

Again, I would be more than happy to supply fabric as I have many, many small skirt-sized scraps that would otherwise not be used.

• I love that tiny bear!

Esmeralda, your keychain Shellie May skirt instructions are adorable! I hadn't read them through (just skimmed them) before because I didn't need a skirt, but…wow! ADORABLE!

I modified the skirt instructions for Tiny Shellie May (i.e. magnet bear). My fabric was also really thick (it's the best color I have for her but a lightweight cotton would've been better). So I did 3 inches wide by 14 inches long. My hem was much shorter and my waistband measurement was a little shorter too.

Tiny Duffy helped me hem the fabric.

So I had to change a couple of the instructions, since Tiny Shellie May is stuck in customs. For Step 6, I had to politely ask Duffy to help. He is so excited about Tiny Shellie May that he was very happy to oblige.

I'll probably have to make Tiny Shellie May a bow because I doubt this will match the one she comes with, but I guess we'll see.

Unfortunately, I can't do Step 8 yet….. Tiny Shellie May, please come soon!

Awwweeee!!!! Tiny Duffy is adorable!!! Your skirt came out great. I'm sure Tiny Duffy will be very happy when your little ShellieMay arrives and doesn't have to model her clothes anymore! My boy gets very upset with me when ShellieMay isn't available for fittings!

• Become part of MY world!

I really love this thread! All the tips are great and very helpful. I'm in the preliminary stages of a costume series I wanna do. Cosplay for Duffy and Shellie May! Doing the research and fabric samples, etc right now, but I'll post my process when I'm done. Won't say what my first outfits will be but I'm sure you'll love em!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

Thanks, Sandrita! I haven't embroidered the Mickey symbol on the back because I'm not certain the skirt will be her "meet" skirt for me....and I haven't made her bloomers partly because I'm lazy and partly because Tiny Duffy says Tiny Shellie May doesn't need pants..... (Though since she'll have a cape "outfit" or two a la this year's Christmas merchandise, it seems a bit unnecessary to me to give her bloomers that she won't be wearing most the time anyway...)

Ursulalvr, I'm looking forward to seeing your creation! I already decided what Tiny Duffy and Tiny Shellie May are going to be for Halloween...it was inspired by the wonderful Figment costume someone posted...

This is so awesome! I love everyone's outfits that they made! I am getting a sewing machine soon, but I have a question.

What other kinds of outfits would be good ideas?
    For some reason the only things different than bows and skirts are bow-ties for Duffy.

• I love that tiny bear!

Scarfs are very easy and hats are pretty easy. Shirts and pants aren't necessarily difficult, but they are not as easy as skirts and bows. You can buy shirts and pants from Build-a-Bear, in some cases about as cheaply as you can make them.

I will (really) eventually put up a pattern for a vest but it will be for Tiny Magnet Duffy. I'm still perfecting the pattern; it has issues in the back armholes (it kind of bunches).

Eeee-va, Tiny Shellie May's skirt is adorable! Tiny Duffy was so sweet, helping you make the skirt and even modeling. Won't tiny Shellie May be pleased! And I'm already anxious to see your Halloween costumes even if it's months and months away. Oh, and our Keychain Duffy sure would love a vest so be sure to post the pattern once the bunching issue gets resolved!

Keychain Shellie May just got a new skirt and shawl for the Christmas season. Does anyone here crochet? I can post some thoughts if you're interested. And of course I'll be posting a picture as soon as she has some Christmas decorations with which to pose.

Ok, been working on my costumes, it will be a while before I'm done, it involves some hand embroidery! Which I've never done before and is really easy, but very tedious and time consuming! Haha! I also made a shirt pattern from the Sweet Duffy shirt, I'm making a nice plaid shirt out of it, but you can make any type of shirt by adjusting the pattern! Will post it and the instructions on here soon, just gotta refine it a little.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

Thank you, Esmeralda! Tiny Shellie May loved it and says thank you for the pattern. (Apologies for the blurry pic!)

I will definitely post the vest pattern when I've figured it out! I don't know how to crochet (well, except for a straight line, LOL) but I'm sure someone does!

Ursulalvr, I LOVE hand embroidery! Though the smaller the bear, the better for that, LOL. Looking forward to seeing your costumes!

that skirt is so cute! It matches the bow very well! Can't wait to see more!

yea, embroidery is definitely fun! But I have like severe OCD and want these costumes to turn out as detailed and as accurate to the ones in the film I'm taking them from. Am i mad for that? HAHAHA! I wanna say what movie, but I want it to be a surprise!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

Thanks! The skirt I made was a little greener than Shellie May's bow but I'm actually surprised the color matched so closely; I was expecting it to be farther off. I will eventually cut her bow off so she can change bows but I think that will probably wait until after I'm back from vacation...I'd be heartbroken to lose her bow. Though, I might just make a bow to go on top of her existing bow...we'll see. I'm running out of time is another problem...

And oh! Now so I'm interested to see what you're making, Ursulalvr! I did hand embroidery on a doll costume a couple years ago (though I got lazy and never finished...)...I wonder if you are making the same thing I made....

• Munchings & Crunchings

I wonder if you could clip her bow off, but then sew a tiny elastic band to it to make it "removable"? That way, she could be like her big counterpart and switch out bows to match outfits.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I wonder if you could clip her bow off, but then sew a tiny elastic band to it to make it "removable"? That way, she could be like her big counterpart and switch out bows to match outfits.
    Yes, I will absolutely do this! (Though it's sewn quite securely to her head so it will be a challenge. I'm sure I can do it though!) I use elastic bands for my Duffy's hats.

BUT Shellie May and Duffy are going on a trip soon, and I'd be very sad if I lost her bow from Japan. While an elastic band is pretty secure, I'm not ready to risk it just yet! It will be a nice project when they get back.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast