Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

Ok, so I've been so busy and got really sick the day after thanksgiving, so I finally got some time for some sewing and finished my prototype for my shirt pattern! I know it's far from perfect, I still can't so hems correctly or straight(and I just wanted to finish the prototype and hems are hard so I just rushed), so if anyone has any tips! Greatly appreciated!

Now a couple pics, I didn't want to waste velcro so I just pinned the front together, but the final version will have velcro and buttons. Just wanted to show my progress! And I need to adjust my pattern a little bit more before I post it on here!

Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

So cute! Fantastic work, Ursulalvr! Did you design the pattern from scratch yourself? That's amazing!^^

Thanks! Haha, actually making patterns from scratch is really hard. You have to be a real pro. I do hope to be that one day, but I used a technique I learned to make patterns from existing clothing without having to take them apart. Then I adjust it to how I want the final look to be. Great way to make your own clothes without driving yourself crazy making a pattern from scratch.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

That shirt is fabulous! You're very talented to be able to make things using garments as a model...I don't know that technique!

If the hems are ornamental, that's really tricky...I'd personally consider hemming in the same-colored thread and then putting on ornamental topstitching, because perfect hems are not the easiest thing. You can use your measuring marks on the sewing machine (I forget what they're called; I'm tired) to ensure the stitches are all an even distance from the edge.

If the hems are meant to be shirt color on the final project, then I'd say just fold carefully, iron carefully, pin it, and sew carefully. I think hems probably just take practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    Ok, so I've been so busy and got really sick the day after thanksgiving, so I finally got some time for some sewing and finished my prototype for my shirt pattern! I know it's far from perfect, I still can't so hems correctly or straight(and I just wanted to finish the prototype and hems are hard so I just rushed), so if anyone has any tips! Greatly appreciated!<br>
    <br>
    Now a couple pics, I didn't want to waste velcro so I just pinned the front together, but the final version will have velcro and buttons. Just wanted to show my progress! And I need to adjust my pattern a little bit more before I post it on here!<br>
    <br>
    Very IMPRESSIVE!!! Especially the yoke of the shirt. (I can't believe I remember what that was called!) That was extra work. You also did a great job with the sizing of the collar. I can't tell, if you did or didn't, but I would use some fusible interfacing in the collar.

Here's a video from JoAnn Fabrics about interfacing: How to choose the best interfacing

Youtube has tons of wonderful instructional sewing videos as well.

They sell something called Tru-Grid Graph Material 45'" Wide. You can buy any length you need. It's great for making patterns. You will find that in the interfacing section.

I can't really tell because you have the shirt sleeves scrunched up, but it looks like you might need to make a deeper armhole to get rid of the gaps under Duffy's arm pitt. That would also allow for a wider sleeve and more comfort for Duffy's little arm.

Overall, this is a very impressive prototype! I find it very challenging to make clothes that fit Duffy and ShellieMay well. They have some interesting curves. I wish those doll clothes patterns fit these bears!

Oh, one more thing - when you are sewing a prototype, you can use the basting size stitch on your machine. That makes it easier to deconstruct the garment and make your final pattern pieces.

Sandrita

Yes, yes and YES! You guys are so awesome! Thanks for the tips! They are greatly appreciated! I didn't even think about using interfacing! But that is a great idea! And thanks for the video Sandrita! This is why I <3 this thread!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Ooh, fantastic prototype! My mom and I came up with a couple of tips for you, Ursulalvr.

Try Dritz Quilting Wash Away Wonder Tape. It's double sided and you can sew right through. This should help keep things straight, especially when pressing and pinning just aren't enough.

Here's another tip for extra smooth seams. Be sure to clip lots around those tight curves after you're finished sewing. Get as close to the stitches as possible, without cutting through of course! I can't tell if you've already done so from your photos, but it's a tip that I've found to be very helpful.
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

I finally got a couple of shots of Keychain Duffy and Shellie May in their holiday outfits. Duffy is wearing his Duffy Plaid scarf that we made for his travels to Quebec. Shellie May donned her new crocheted skirt and cape, complete with reindeer button directly from Santa Claus!

We love sleigh rides!

My, what a lovely tree. Do you think Santa will bring gifts for us?

My goodness, there is already candy in our stockings! And a lovely cookie all the way from Japan to share!

A quick final note: their stockings are from Walgreens. Hooray for mini sparkly initial stockings!

If anyone wants any tips on crocheting clothes for either bear, let me know. The skirt is simply a rectangle with a few increases. The shawl is similar, with many more increases.
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• I love that tiny bear!

Esmeralda, I LOVE Shellie May's outfit! I don't know how to crochet or else I'd be all over that! Very nice Christmas setup too...too cute with the initials! I'm glad Santa (or someone) is bringing the bears presents. <3

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Esmeralda, what a gorgeous, festive setup! Eeee-va, the more I see your avatar, the more I miss our old Duffy mascot! And I just realized, Santa doesn't seem to greet with Duffy at Christmas anymore… I'm okay about Santa cos I avoid that line anyway, but I really miss our mascot; the new one is just not as cute — Eeee-va's avatar proves it!

• I love that tiny bear!

Merry Christmas to all!

I forgot to bring Shellie May's red/Christmas bow but I finally finished her Christmas cape! It's inspired very heavily by her Christmas cape (you can see it at Duffy the Disney Bear: Duffy is getting ready to celebrate Christmas ). I didn't put as much detail on the holly because I didn't have time, but I don't think it looks bad on such a small scale. Duffy, of course, is dressed a lot like the US Santa Duffy.

This is just felt, ribbon, fur, pom poms, a hook and eye, some Velcro, and a little embroidery floss. No machine used or needed.

• I love that tiny bear!

So here is the Photographer Duffy I made for my mom! (Later I found out Hobby Lobby has PERFECT tiny keychain "cameras"; I should have bought that instead of making one out of felt...ah well.)

I think the vest was made with a one-piece pattern; I was trying to make the very simplest vest pattern for the people here, so this pattern would only require sewing at the shoulders. But I'm not sure it's possible to do a pattern that sews together ONLY at the shoulders but doesn't have the little gap at the shoulderblade. I need to keep trying, I think.

The pockets are real. The Duffy looks...well...a bit off-model...I was in a rush in DCA (I arrived at the store a couple minutes before park closing and wanted to surprise Mom with the Photographer Duffy while we were at the parks!). So I picked up the first one I saw, and was pleased that he looked visibly different from my own Tiny Duffy, so there was no possiblity of mix-ups.

When I found out ALL the bears looked visibly different, I was less happy. Ah well. A rubber-band around the head (!) for a while will help fix the football-head look. The big ears give him...charm...yeah...

• Minion

OMG, I love it! Your creativity with those tiny bears knows no bounds. And REAL pockets!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    So here is the Photographer Duffy I made for my mom! (Later I found out Hobby Lobby has PERFECT tiny keychain "cameras"; I should have bought that instead of making one out of felt...ah well.)
    I think it's cute that the camera looks like a homemade craft project instead of store-bought. Like his head and ears, it gives him character.

And even though the vest is a very simple pattern, the color is great and the pocket accent really makes it work. Your mom must've loved the surprise! Surely she's not one of the family members who's tired of Duffy gifts?

It's so nice to see some action in this thread, too. It's been a while. Thanks for sharing your creative genius, Eeee-va!

Wink Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs

Hi, I have a question for everyone here who seems to know and own either Duffy or Shelly May. Personally, I am not a big fan and do not own either plushies but my good friend absolutely loves both of them and owns them both. For her birthday, I want to make her two matching outfits but I need Duffy and Shelly Mays overall measurments. I can't exactly ask her for those since she would guess my intentions right away. Also, I can't find the measures anywhere online, can anybody tell me what they are? I need the length of there torso, arms and legs. I also need to know the measure around the waist. Thank you all for your help!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast