Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    • Become part of MY world!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    657

    Angry NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    I was looking though Disneygeek's update and I saw this photo of Holiday merch being put out at DCA, and look who I saw....
    Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, October 28, 2011

    Yup, that's right, the SAME exact 12" Christmas Duffy bears from LAST year! Wow, I'm so irritated right now, it's not even funny. Disney is not even bothering to release a NEW concept? Not even a 12" version of the (in my eyes) crappy Xmas costume they have out already? Seriously?! This to me, has shown me, that Disney really DOES not care for Duffy AT ALL! And I would even go as far as saying to just pull him out of the merchandise shelves. This is NOT Duffy! This is (as DuffyD has put it) Duffleganger. And I've renounced myself from buying ANY US Duffy merchandise until they get their act together and represent Duffy the PROPER way! Grrr it's even more maddening that Shellie May will be treated the same way if she does come here to the states.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

  2. #2

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,769

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Well, there is the costume for the 17" bears, but yeah that's really unoriginal to put the same 12" bears as last year. At the same time though, I'm relieved because I do NOT need a bazillion 12" bears. I want quality costumes for my 17" bear. So that's $30 I don't have to spend this winter, which makes my wallet happy.

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Perhaps the US Duffy merchandise from last year didn't sell, and they are just giving it another chance.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    265

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Perhaps the US Duffy merchandise from last year didn't sell, and they are just giving it another chance.
    That's what I thought when I saw this version of the bear at the parks. After all - these were suppose to be the collectables.

    I haven't purchased any 12" inch bears. I think $30 is a ripoff for these scantily clad little tykes!


    Last edited by Sandrita; 10-30-2011 at 02:00 AM.

  5. #5

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,234

    Angry Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    …Yup, that's right, the SAME exact 12" Christmas Duffy bears from LAST year! Wow, I'm so irritated right now, it's not even funny. Disney is not even bothering to release a NEW concept? Not even a 12" version of the (in my eyes) crappy Xmas costume they have out already? Seriously?! This to me, has shown me, that Disney really DOES not care for Duffy AT ALL! And I would even go as far as saying to just pull him out of the merchandise shelves. This is NOT Duffy! This is (as DuffyD has put it) Duffleganger. And I've renounced myself from buying ANY US Duffy merchandise until they get their act together and represent Duffy the PROPER way! Grrr it's even more maddening that Shellie May will be treated the same way if she does come here to the states.
    …(sigh)…Yeeeah, I know exactly how you feel. It hurts, and excuses really don't help. It's sad, and it is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    …I'm relieved because…that's $30 I don't have to spend this winter…
    I understand what you said, but it's not like you'd "have to" buy the 12" bear unless it was really awesome. I always hope the design team is aiming for "really awesome," even when I'm broke.^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Perhaps the US Duffy merchandise from last year didn't sell, and they are just giving it another chance.
    I kinda thought that was Ursulalvr's point, wasn't it? It failed last year, and rather than really understand why or invest in creating something new, they've just tossed out the same stuff they couldn't sell enough of last year. Isn't the fact that they're "just" doing this exactly what Ursulalvr is criticizing? I don't think this is an excuse, and it's certainly not a justification.

    Tokyo Duffy stuff usually sells out, but if it didn't, I don't think OLC would reissue it with no changes. The 2011 Christmas collection marks the first time that's happened, and there is a LOT of new merchandise, including fan-voted "best Christmas costumes ever." I honestly think OLC produced more of these because they are still show costumes for Christmas Wishes and because this year's costumes are intended to mix-n-match with the ones from last year. I think the criticism is about the lack of inspired creativity, and I think it's a valid point.

    The Walt Disney Company's consistent message is that they see their "Duffy" as "The Disney Bear Refluffed," their concept based squarely in recycling a failure with an even more stale effort than the first time. The significant difference is that this time round they're biting off the work of artists who truly love and invest in this character. That makes it worse. They should be ashamed. Duffy is not a sham. But I don't really blame the Americans who see the US version that way. As time wears on and Disney flaunts their crass apathy and negligence, how anyone can continue diligently defending them defies reason for me. The Walt Disney Company should be both ashamed and shamed.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.

  6. #6

    • ~*Princess*~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    227

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    I don't really think it's bad to re-put it back out. Didn't Tokyo Disney Sea also put back out some of their own Christmas items from last year as well? At least it's better than them just being thrown away--I think that shows some care. We also haven't been shown more than one Holiday costume at a time yet so I don't know why this was a surprise to anyone--they've been showing everything ahead of time and the only new Holiday costume are the overalls with the white shirt.

    At the very least, it'll cause the overpriced Ebay prices to go down.

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,103

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    wow dd, a little harsh. I was just contributing my thoughts.

  8. #8

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,234

    Question Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    wow dd, a little harsh. I was just contributing my thoughts.
    And I was just saying that it sounded to me like that's what Ursulalvr was complaining about in the first place. It didn't seem to actually challenge Ursulalvr's perspective, just reframe it so that Disney's actions were acceptable. It didn't sound like you were really disagreeing, just saying it in a different way in order to say "that's fine and understandable and not a big deal." But at the same time, it did sound like you were suggesting a different set of motivations than Ursulalvr had understood; however, I don't think that's the case. It sounds to me like Ursulalvr understands Disney's actions in exactly the way that you describe, but feels that putting merchandise that didn't sell back out on the shelf just to give it another chance a year later is the same thing as putting The Disney Bear concept back out on the shelf almost ten years later, just with the name that another design team created and trying to steal that design team's success without putting in the work.

    If your post had been, "Fine by me!" I would have understood it easily. Disagreed, but understood it. However, as I read it, it seemed to imply that Ursulalvr somehow didn't understand that "perhaps the US Duffy merchandise from last year didn't sell, and they are just giving it another chance." Otherwise, why say it? The suggestion that Ursulalvr wasn't aware of that as a likelihood confused me. It seemed like a presumed prerequisite to understanding Ursulalvr's perspective, not a counter perspective, as far as I could tell. I thought it might confuse Ursulalvr or someone else, too, and I wanted to make it clear to Ursulalvr that I was fairly confident I had understood the context and scope of the original argument. It seemed to me that you either misunderstood Ursulalvr's point (and so I tried to clarify, thinking that perhaps others did, too) or that I misunderstood yours. Perhaps I could have asked you, "What was the point of your post?" but I was worried that question wouldn't come across the way I intended it, that it might sound, well, "harsh."

    Please forgive and correct any confusion I may still have. Your post seemingly implies that I am criticizing you in some personal way for "just contributing [your] thoughts." Maybe I'm just misreading there; I hope so. Anyway, nothing could be further from the truth. I was not criticizing you, but simply stating that I thought Ursulalvr made a clear and reasonable point, that I thought seemed to be misunderstood. I was afraid the OP's point was being viewed as murky, which I don't think it was. If my clarification was unnecessary or unhelpful for you, I can accept that. I don't think, though, that it's "harsh" for me to state what I got from Ursulalvr's post. Is it, really? I guess Ursulalvr can clear this up anyway; I just thought my understanding of the OP's post was as valuable as yours or anybody else's. Is it not, really? Is it "harsh" for me to think that my perspective matters? I wasn't dismissing yours; my presumption that your post must be relevant led directly to my response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    ...Didn't Tokyo Disney Sea also put back out some of their own Christmas items from last year as well? At least it's better than them just being thrown away--I think that shows some care...
    Not that "Tokyo DisneySEA did it" makes it okay (although that usually is true), but the TDS re-release is the first-ever reissue of the same costume. It's also the simplest "costume" offered since Duffy started wearing pants, a point for which many MiceChatters, including myself, heavily criticized the Oriental Land Company upon its initial release last year. Rather than representing disdain for fans and neglect for the character, OLC's re-release with this year's fuller featured and inexpensively priced costumes suggests that they cared about fan response (it was not limited to MiceChatters; there were many complaints in Japanese). By placing them side by side with the new costumes, it looks like they're suggesting that fans combine this year's low-priced new outfits with last year's to create value. And the 2010 costumes are still part of a major show that has been relocated and probably slightly remastered for this Christmas.

    I was the first to criticize the TDS re-release, as I don't like the precedent. I still don't like it and I wish it wasn't happening, as I have already said. But I don't think it's the same as the US putting out old stock of a 12" bear they didn't sell. I think the OLC had to make more, and I think they did it to send a message to fans (but of course I don't know that) and because many fans are likely to be more interested in the extremely high quality 2010 release now and regret not having it.

    It also, intentional or not, establishes Duffy's 2010 Coat and Shellie's 2010 Cape as "the" costumes of 2010. Last year, there were two Tokyo costume releases for Christmas - the Coat and Cape holiday costumes and the Santa-inspired "Hello From Cape Cod" releases. I strongly voiced dissatisfaction with OLC allowing Hong Kong Disneyland to release the HFCC costumes for Duffy's 2010 HKDL debut. I was not alone in thinking that it was in very poor taste to market, of the two, the one that was labeled as "From Cape Cod" with a "Disney Parks" sticker haphazardly pasted on to cover up the DisneySEA logo. Yet at the same time, I expressed my relief that it wasn't the Coat/Cape set, which I saw/see of higher value, representative of the Tokyo/Cape Cod standard.

    I don't know how OLC could even know about my complaints, as the Tokyo Duffy doesn't have an officially-sponsored Facebook page and there's no comments section dedicated to feedback on the Duffy mini-site. I do know, though, that by re-releasing the 2010 Coat and Cape with the completely new "Paper Doll/Wood Ornament" Straps, plus a re-release of the small Badges which almost definitely did sell out last year (since they almost always do); they did more than just throw unsold merchandise back on shelves.

    Those who want to agree with every action the Walt Disney Company takes are free to do so, although I think it is terrible for Duffy and not a good way to support the character gaining any kind of wide appeal or strong fan base. I also think a quality standard that demands excellence should be an inherent part of what "Duffy" means, but I accept the fact that such is simply not the case in America. To me, this discredits the entire operation, but everyone will have to make their own peace with that. However, to imply that WDC's restocking of unsold merchandise is the same thing as OLC's re-release of a probably sold-out costume with an entirely new range of supporting merchandise is unrealistic and unfair to both companies' proven track records. You can be fine with it, but you can't say it's the same thing. It isn't.

    As far as throwing away seasonal merchandise that doesn't sell... Hm... That's tough. That's a real issue I've thought about many times. OLC has an operating philosophy based on constant limited, seasonal events. Most items do seem to sell out most of the time, but certainly not all. And "not all" probably actually means a whole LOT of stuff. I have often wondered what happens to the items that CMs don't buy, and I imagine that they really may be thrown away. This is wasteful and troubling in its own way, but I think it applies to almost every producer/seller of almost everything. And specifically for Tokyo Disney Resort, if people knew where to find the garbage, I bet this could become a serious problem very quickly. A friend told me recently about GAP cutting up clothes before throwing them away, rather than donating them, and a fast food chain (I honestly forget which one she said) spraying its leftover food with water so that homeless people wouldn't go through the trash after closing each night. I do think that last one is awful, because there is just no value-loss whatsoever for the company. When I worked at a fast food shop, our franchise manager gave out food to the very few homeless people who came around at closing. If there had been too many of them or if word had gotten out, of course it would have been impractical, but it made me proud to work there. With clothing, I can "kind of" understand. They don't wanna invest the resources to plan responsible recycling or donation on product that's already a financial loss, and they don't want people to think of trash day as "free clothes super sale day." Without legislation to require them to donate or intense pressure from consumers, I imagine it's part of being competitive in their industry. I don't really know what happens to OLC's old merch, though, or how much there typically is...but I bet it is thrown away, which I bet is how it is almost everywhere.

    This is all beside the point, though, cos it's not like WDC never throws anything away or consistently (ever?) donates its surplus. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there are many folks who honestly think WDC's primary motivation here is concern for environmental factors or something. If they wanted to be really great, Disney could have donated all the extra bears to Toys for Tots or something. They could even have gotten a lot of press for their good deed (like they did with the "Cuddliest Christmas Tree" last year, featuring these same exact bears. Then they could have chosen to push themselves to make something new this year. But they don't think they have to do that because Disney sees most of its fans as easily herded sheep who will follow them anywhere and won't really mind if they put unsold product back out on the shelves from year to year.

    It looks to me like they just didn't wanna bother cutting-and-pasting a new drag-n-drop Disney Bear design. They saved Monty or somebody about fifteen minutes of work. This operating philosophy, this lack of respect for fans, and this kind of fan apathy is what's wrong with WDC, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's exactly how and why Disney is on the wrong path. I also believe Duffy is the antithesis of this and forcing him back in the "Disney Bear" box is a horrible travesty. "Duffy" is an adjective and not bothering to create something new is not Duffy.

    I get that some people don't wanna believe that a Japanese licensee does Disney better than the American Walt Disney Company. It's painful for me, too, but denying it doesn't help the situation. Some may find it harsh that I don't see this as an opinion, but rather as a very sad fact. Yeah, that's true. And that is Duffy, I think. Duffy is the character/property most emblematic of the Oriental Land Company "raise-the-bar-higher" standard of excellence. The Disney Bear is, well, a different concept based in lower standards. Re-launching the Disney Bear in America under the banner of Duffy's good name just to cash in on Japanese artists' complete retooling of the concept into a heartful hit - with no respect for those artists, the character or the fans in either country - is wrong. To do it with such transparent lack of integrity or sincerity is indecent. I cannot understand defending this...

  9. #9

    • ~*Princess*~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    227

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    That's not the problem--I just think bashing everything is silly. The thing is, I stay neutral. I'm not taking sides--it's still part of Duffy even if you want to ignore it and consider it the "bad part".

    Regardless, Disney usually releases things unless they make them limited. I have never minded re-releasing so it doesn't bother me...and it's Disney's first year anyway.

    But weren't you complaining about the fact that Disney is money hungry and greedy? Yet you're complaining because they are re-releasing something so only people who missed out would have to spend money on them and people can save their wallet for the other new stuff?

    Maybe Duffy will be wearing that costume this Winter Season for all we know which is why they put it back out. There's a lot of reasons--I just think this whole argument is incredibly silly.

    There was no reason to expect anything more at the time. And there was certainly no reason to be annoyed that you DON'T have to spend money because it's re-releasing something. It's better to just be happy people who missed it and do want it can get it. Not to mention as it's new here, it's not odd that they would do that either. But one thing about companies is it's unlikely these are old stored bears as storage costs money--they most likely remade these rather than having kept a bunch of bears for about a year to resell.

  10. #10

    • Become part of MY world!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    657

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    I know these bears didn't really sell last yea, it's actually a common fact. They were so unpopular they had to sell them to the CMs at Company D, of course no one even bothered to buy them either, so Disney usually sells this merchandise to outside companies, mostly Disney outlets, at low costs. Thats what they do with all their merch. If it doesn't sell in the parks, it moves to Company D and whatever is left over, to the Outlets. The reason I'm so upset is because Disney really isn't trying. I have to admit, when I first heard about the 12" bears, I knew almost immediately these designs won't change for years! That's what they do with 80% of their merch. It's recycled from the year before.

    But to do this with Duffy, when another company has set a standard. A standard Disney fans have seen, through the internet, or in person, that's just ridiculous! They brought Duffy here ONLY because it was popular in Japan. The thing is, they had no idea WHY it was popular, and that's what's led to these releases. Duffy is popular because of the quality, PERIOD! When I got my first costume from Japan and Shellie May, I was awestruck! The detailing was AMAZING! The packaging was superb and the tags are high quality. THE TAGS! This is what drew me to Duffy. The attention to detail and the hight quality. I'm sure others started loving Duffy in a similar fashion. For me, Duffy is about the costumes. Yes, his story is great, and very heartfelt, but the costumes are what really made the connection for me. Having the opportunity to dress your little bear in clothes that was as high quality as human clothes was a huge draw. And that's what Disney missed.

    The costumes they've released have been mediocre. Not one single costume has impressed me. Not even any of the 12" bears. Some were cute, but none I would pay $30 for. Especially the Xmas one. And for them to rereleased a obviously failed concept for the costume, is a slap on the face. "Yea, it didn't sell last time, so let's try it again, without changing anything! That's sure to sell!" No it won't corporate Disney, no it won't. The really sad part of this, is that Disney will continue to release the same bear year after year.

    But until fans demand for a better product it won't happen. I'm not trying to be mean here, but it's true. If we keep saying that it's cheaper, so we shouldn't expect much. Or that we shouldn't have expected better(isn't that what Disney is all about? Exceeding expectations?). Disney won't change. I've made my final decision, though. I will not buy any US Duffy merch until it is better. Well, actually, I haven't bought any Duffy merch for myself since actually buying Duffy himself a year ago. Disney needs to represent Duffy better! And I think we all should try to restrain from buying their costumes until quality improves. Or else, how will they ever know we don't like their product?
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

  11. #11

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,234

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    That's not the problem--I just think bashing everything is silly. The thing is, I stay neutral. I'm not taking sides--it's still part of Duffy even if you want to ignore it and consider it the "bad part"...


    I'm not sure what "that" is? My whole perspective? I think it's interesting that you label me as "silly" and "bashing," while you consistently insist that you are "neutral." The issue being debated is whether or not the Walt Disney Company is handling Duffy's release well. Your comments are clearly supportive of the WDC. At times it feels that you see the debate as whether the Oriental Land Company is "better" than the Walt Disney Company, about which you may or may not be neutral...but that's not what's being debated in this thread, nor on these boards. It's not about whether we like Disney or not; everyone here loves Disney, or we wouldn't be here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    I don't really think it's bad to re-put it back out. Didn't Tokyo Disney Sea also put back out some of their own Christmas items from last year as well? At least it's better than them just being thrown away--I think that shows some care...

    ...I don't know why this was a surprise to anyone...

    ...At the very least, it'll cause the overpriced Ebay prices to go down.
    These not only sound supportive, but dismissive of the opposing argument. I also sound dismissive of the argument that Disney is handling Duffy well or in any way resembling decency, because that's exactly what I think. I don't purport to be neutral in order to make you sound over-insistent with your own opinions. We disagree about this, but not because you're neutral and I have a counter argument. We have two very different perspectives. I own mine, and I stand behind what I say. What Disney is doing is not "the bad part;" it is not Duffy, but if some people wanna support it and call it that, I can't stop it. Calling a product by a new name isn't enough to change the product, though. At the very least, I can post my dissent so that newcomers don't just fall in line for Disney and every skeptic of this character doesn't believe that every Duffy fan blindly accepts whatever Disney throws our way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Regardless, Disney usually releases things unless they make them limited. I have never minded re-releasing so it doesn't bother me...and it's Disney's first year anyway.
    As Sandrita said, many people likely bought them with the belief that they were seasonal collectibles. Now that they are being re-released, that value, as much as it existed, is lessened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    But weren't you complaining about the fact that Disney is money hungry and greedy? Yet you're complaining because they are re-releasing something so only people who missed out would have to spend money on them and people can save their wallet for the other new stuff?
    I don't think I've ever said "money hungry," and the core of my complaint is about the lack of creative investment matched withthe desire for profit. Your argument doesn't really make sense. If they think more people know about Duffy this year so they can just reissue old designs and save money versus setting up new production, this is not about a lack of capitalization. Disney is certainly not re-releasing the same bear just to save money for all the lucky people who bought it last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Maybe Duffy will be wearing that costume this Winter Season for all we know which is why they put it back out. There's a lot of reasons--I just think this whole argument is incredibly silly.
    This last point we can agree on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    There was no reason to expect anything more at the time. And there was certainly no reason to be annoyed that you DON'T have to spend money because it's re-releasing something. It's better to just be happy people who missed it and do want it can get it. Not to mention as it's new here, it's not odd that they would do that either. But one thing about companies is it's unlikely these are old stored bears as storage costs money--they most likely remade these rather than having kept a bunch of bears for about a year to resell.


    Again your basic argument is that fans should lower their expectations and "just be happy" that they "DON'T have to spend money." Here's the thing, though, and I've made this point before: Fans don't have to spend money on anything, ever. Your argument implies that people would "have to" spend money on this 12" bear if it was new; that's not the case. Duffy fans have been saying on Facebook that what they want is new costumes, not more 12" bears, new or otherwise. Yet while Hong Kong gets a new 17" costume, America gets this. Fans choosing to spend money in support of a character they love being mangled by a company who clearly does not love him is very, very strange to me. I will continue to think this is strange until Disney, as Ursulalvr rightly says, "gets their act together." I Duffy, and I know "not Duffy" when I see it.

  12. #12

    • I also like Stitch!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    441

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    *rant* I love Duffy, I am honestly thinking of writing a letter to the WDC about how Duffy is so badly treated along with a petition that demands that Duffy be treated with the love he gets in Japan, or we will boycott WDC's Duffy, making them lose their precious money. This includes taking Duffy off the online Disney Store. *rant over*

  13. #13

    • ~*Princess*~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    227

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Again, you're saying how I feel or saying I said things which I never said to begin with. I like both companies, I've been to both parks (Actually, the only park I haven't been to is Hong Kong's), and I have my pros and cons for each. I was just giving my reasoning on why I didn't think it was a big deal that Disney re-released the costumes. If OLC decided to re-release a bunch of popular Duffy costumes for a big 10th anniversary thing, would I have an issue? No.

    The thing is, I don't believe in value based on how limited something is. To me, if you care about it, it's priceless to begin with. And I never have anything against re-releasing things. The fact that more people have a chance at something should be embraced and should not make yours have any less meaning because that's not what should be basing on whether you get it or not. It should be because you love it and who cares if more people get it or it goes down in price--just be happy to have it. If that's not the case, then I don't understand why you bought it to begin with. There have been things that I bought for a lot of money that were then re-released for much cheaper. I wasn't angry because I still had mine and was happy to have it. My opinion on it did not change. In fact, something like that happened recently--I had been waiting all year for something and pre-ordered it immediately. It is now completely sold out but is 10-20 dollars cheaper if you decide to go on the waiting list. I do not mind the fact that mine was more expensive because I have been enjoying it quite a bit and it makes me happy.

    Just because someone is okay with all parts doesn't mean they care less about Duffy. I won't go into how offensive the "not Duffy" and "Duffelgangers" come off when mentioned. And we did get a 17 inch Christmas costume here? The 12 inch one being put back out doesn't remove those. And my point is, people are getting annoyed because there's no new merchandise--if you're bothered by no new merchandise, it means you were hoping to buy something, which is why I said that.

  14. #14

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,234

    Sad Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    This is the second time you've made the implication that the value of limited, seasonal items is limited availability. It's not. The value is that each item encaptures a specific memory of a particular time and place. It's true for all of OLC's merchandising, but especially so for Duffy. Watching Duffy's costumes develop over the years is like watching the character mature, watching him "grow." Duffy is a character who is merchandise. Every new Christmas costume represents another layer of the character. Your veiled implication that my value or investment in Duffy is about something other than my love for the character is incredibly offensive, on numerous levels. I hope you never say anything like that again.

    By the way, I think we're bothered by the lack of new merchandise because it speaks to WDC's continued lack of investment in a character we love. It's annoying because, as Ursulalvr clearly said, they're not even trying. It's not about whether we'd buy it; it's about whether or not they enjoy creating it, and take deserved pride in their work. I think the answer there is very clear.

  15. #15

    • ~*Princess*~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    227

    Re: NOT new Duffy merchandise for the US!

    Except that's what you keep saying. And as you said about what Sandrita said: "many people likely bought them with the belief that they were seasonal collectibles. Now that they are being re-released, that value, as much as it existed, is lessened."
    You are saying by re-releasing them that ruins the value. That should not be true in any case. It being re-released should NOT change that value is my point. If you got something that said "I went to Disney World!" and went back and saw it again, would that ruin it for you? Because it really shouldn't.

    Again, I don't think Merchandise defines a character. If someone wanted their Duffy to run around naked, it should not make their Duffy any less of one. And once again, putting words in my mouth.

    And I think, unless you actually spoke to someone, you have nothing to go on but assumptions. :/ Thus why I stay neutral--I do not work for Disney or OLC and thus, would not know what either party is thinking.

    However, my original point stands as I said--I don't see anything wrong with items being re-released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A New Family Member for the Newlyweds!
    By Disneyphile in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
  2. new UMD format for The Incredibles
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 10:18 PM
  3. New castle lighting for the 50th?
    By 100th Dalmation in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 06:45 PM
  4. Poll: New Forum Title for the Crazy Moms Lounge
    By mamabot in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •