• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Mission Statements of the WDC vs the OLC and why CCC is worth every yen...^^

I was inspired by a post in another thread, but this was definitely veering off-topic, so I made a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yeah, I have a hard time buying myself something this expensive! I want them though, and have to figure out a way to do it. This is better than the last set too. But, with the new 10th costumes, Sweet Duffy, AND Spring Voyage...ouch!!...
    Seriously! I like spending money on myself, but this year is gonna be so tough. Literally all of my money that doesn't go towards bills will go to paying for Duffy stuff, especially with my birthday at the Miracosta. It would take every MiceChatter buying one of everything to do any real damage to the amount of money I'm gonna be spending this year, but I am more grateful for the support of the Duffy Post than ever. I have come to deeply value the joyful honor of carefully selecting people's stuff and getting to know MiceChatters and their preferences one-on-one. This year, in addition to the immense satisfaction that comes with being "the Duffy guy" to so many people all over the world, I will actually appreciate all the financial help I can get, honestly, to reinvest in writing my first-ever trip report about the most epic Disney birthday a child-at-heart could ever have. Thank you guys so much, always and all ways.^^

2012 is set to be a banner year for Duffy and silly as it may be to spend as much as I know I'll be spending, it makes me happy and I will remember it forever. Duffy has one of the most incredible and inspiring histories of any character, Disney or otherwise, and this year seems to be the year he really flies. There's no longer a "growing" fanbase; there's a strong existing, global fanbase, and yes, it's still growing. Duffy is in his most iconic outfit yet and just in time to get ready for his first-ever park-wide event. How can I not want these things? This feels like the moment I have always been waiting for with this character; I wanna be part of it. I wanna hold onto it so that I can make it last forever. I want it because Duffy is solely responsible for reuniting me with a very particular sense of magic I had all but forgotten Disney (or I^^) was capable of and that keeps my heart soft and open.

I wanna have as many pieces of it as I can, to make it last because Duffy's future, now that Disney is more heavily involved again, seems uncertain to me. Supporting OLC Duffy still feels like reminding The Walt Disney Company that there is a fanbase who believes in them yet asks more of them, and whose tastes are more refined than they suspect. Supporting OLC Duffy still feels like supporting Disney's core values of love, innovation, quality and integrity. But who knows what's gonna happen with US/global Duffy this same year? The new CCC releases actually trump every single one of the Paris designs in my estimation, but I still don't get to know who the Japanese design team is and the US 2012 bear is just as uninspired as 2011. I will support everything that's happening with Duffy at TDS this year because I have no confidence that Duffy's big moment will last forever unless I have the things myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been sitting on this for a while now, but finally I think this is where it belongs...

This is the mission statement of The Walt Disney Company:

"The Walt Disney Company's objective is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products. The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value."

The Walt Disney Company only even wants to be "one of;" it doesn't even want to be the best at anything at all.

This is the Oriental Land Company's mission statement,
    from page 32 of the 2011 Annual Report:

"Our mission is to create happiness and contentment by offering wonderful dreams and moving experiences created with original, imaginative ideas.

We aim to constantly maintain a perspective at the forefront of each era as we strive for emotion as a company. As we move ever closer to our ideal, we have a firm conviction in its realization.

Our greatest asset is our imagination. It may be said that imagination is the Earth’s only inexhaustible resource. Utilizing this asset, we pursue our business of bringing abundant humanity and happiness.

In the lives of people today, emotions that we tend to cast aside, dreams that we harbor deep in our hearts, moving
    experiences that uplift our souls, joy that makes life worth living, a true sense of peace that provides us with rejuvenation…

It is the mission of Oriental Land to bring all of these to
    each and every person."

Isn't that just genuinely inspiring? Isn't that exactly what you remember "Disney" meaning, and what you hope it could mean again? Isn't this exactly what Duffy is all about, and isn't that worth doing right? I was gonna add bold, but it would be almost every word, so what's the point? I OLC!^^ This is their real mission statement, for investors, in with graphs and figures and charts and plans. They mean this, and I will happily support it. Read the rest of the Report; it's all this good! Here's a little segment all about Duffy and how much he means to the Oriental Land Company:

Quote Originally Posted by OLC 2011 Annual Report, pp 22~23
    LINK

Expanding earnings through originality at Tokyo DisneySea

Making a significant contribution as a Tokyo DisneySea original character is Duffy. Duffy’s roots can be traced back to a Disney bear that was sold in the Disney theme parks in the United States. Although the bear first appeared at Tokyo DisneySea in 2004, Duffy The Disney Bear made its debut as a Tokyo DisneySea original character with a newly added story in December 2005. Duffy is a unique character in that he did not originate from any movies or videos. However, this also meant that compared with most other Disney characters, there was a high degree of freedom in how Duffy could be developed and presented.

The plan was formulated, based on a medium- to long-term perspective, to nurture Duffy while infusing the character with traits that are uniquely identifiable with Tokyo DisneySea. As well as sales of changeable costumes for Duffy, the debut of ShellieMay as Duffy’s friend in January 2010 have contributed to an increase in merchandise revenues.

Not only have we developed Duffy-related merchandise but we have also cultivated a broader expansion of Duffy’s unique world. Examples include the launch in March 2010 of “My Friend Duffy,” a stage show, and the opening in July 2011 of the “Village Greeting Place,” where guests are greeted by characters. These and other products help to enhance the diversity of ways guests can enjoy Tokyo DisneySea.

In the future, by developing and nurturing new original content, we aim to contribute to improved earnings over Tokyo Disney Resort as a whole.

*Underline used in place of highlighting in original document, bold and pink by DuffyDaisuki.^^
    Duffy was no accident. He was always meant to be the embodiment of Tokyo DisneySea's spirit and OLC's vision. He should not be represented by a lesser quality standard; rather, extreme Duffy quality should be celebrated. This Company actually LOVES its mascot character, its fans, and its mission! The OLC Duffy design team has exercised great creative freedom in order to nurture this character into being. They don't pretend not to want "improved earnings," but it certainly doesn't sound like OLC is just "using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products...to maximize earnings and cash flow," either.

I think we were a bit overdue for a post like this, right?^^

*I love how they say "a Disney bear" when talking about the original WDC version, so casually and yet completely genericizing it, as it should be.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-29-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added pink to "a Disney bear" and final comment.

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Mission Statements of the WDC vs the OLC and why CCC is worth every yen...^^

Wow, just WOW. Thank you for posting this! I would have never known OLC's mission statement. It is truly inspiriting. It really puts me at ease when I spend spend on Duffy. I know people think I'm natters and my family even doesn't entirely understand the concept, but that mission statement says it all. It really is heartfelt and true to the brand! It's the whole reason why I love Duffy! Man it's just awe inspiring! Imagine how great of a company it would be to work for! Haha, too bad it's in Japan, or I'd seriously consider it! You can really tell the employees there love the place they work for in their output of product! So much heart and soul! Truly inspiring. I really wish we could know who these artists are! I would totally fly to Japan if they ever did a meet and greet and autographs. These are the unsung heroes who have captured and have stayed true to Walt's legacy. They truly follow in his footsteps.

But it also makes me sad to see the WDC compared right next to it. Their statement is so soulless and corporate babble. It truly is sad, they have strayed so far from what the company was originally about! I even read an article today about a joke that was made in a Disney Channel show, I think Shake it Up or something at the expense of girls with eating disorders. Disney has really lost their roots. They've lost all innocence and have really tried to become edgy and hip. Sometimes looking at shows on their own channel, it truly is sad how edgy and inappropriate some of the content is. A lot of adult jokes that really shouldn't be in a children's show. And no creativity no art, just the same stuff refined for the this generation of tweens. Truly sad.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: Mission Statements of the WDC vs the OLC and why CCC is worth every yen...^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    ...And no creativity no art, just the same stuff refined for the this generation of tweens. Truly sad.
    Well, that lack of creativity is right in their mission statement, isn't it?

"The Walt Disney Company's objective is...using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products..."

Doesn't that basically say, "Lots of folks have already created stuff so we'll just keep using what they did to 'differentiate' ourselves from every other company that doesn't have the cache of our legacy?" I mean, that's what I read.

It's just such a far, far cry from this:

"Our mission is to create...original, imaginative ideas.

We aim to constantly maintain a perspective at the forefront of each era as we strive for emotion as a company. As we move ever closer to our ideal, we have a firm conviction in its realization.

Our greatest asset is our imagination. It may be said that imagination is the Earth’s only inexhaustible resource. Utilizing this asset, we pursue our business of bringing abundant humanity and happiness..."

And yet the latter, by OLC, is so much more like these, from Walt Disney:

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

---------- Post added 12-29-2011 at 06:29 PM ----------

I just found this Q&A session from November 2010 with Kyoichiro Uenishi, Representative Director, President and COO; as well as Akiyoshi Yokota, Executive Director and Officer. I'm not sure which man answered the question from the moderator, though...

Q4: I believe that favorable demand for Duffy and ShellieMay (i have finally decided to accept the official spelling as not a mistake^^) was one of the factors behind the extremely strong net sales per guest. There is a fear of an adverse repercussion in and after the next fiscal year, if demand shrinks. Do you have any strategies to address this?

A4: A long period of time has been spent on introducing and gaining wide recognition of Duffy. As a result of this, many of our guests now visit our parks partly because they want to "see Duffy" or "buy Duffy." We believe that Duffy's favorable effect can be maintained to a certain degree going forward. We are planning to develop various concepts and merchandise that will further enhance Duffy's profile as a familiar character.

Beautiful. They're talkiing about money, but they're also talking about creativity, work and devotion. It really is all about the birth of a new character. It is no different from witnessing the birth of Mickey Mouse or the teddy bear itself...well, okay, it's a little different, but not much. Duffy is very special, and OLC proves that it thinks so all the fluffing time.

I'm gonna get away from the screen for a bit. I'll sign off with this image from the 2009 Annual Report, published after the end of the fiscal year in March 2009. I met Duffy and went to TDR for the first time during the Holiday season from this year. This was the year of the TDR 25th Anniversary and its new Cast Member costumes every month, and this report was published just a few weeks after the very first Sweet Duffy event ended on White Day, March 14, 2009. Even then, they had already been working and planning for years.

Duffy is OLC's Mickey Mouse and if some folks still wonder why I get upset about cheap, low quality Duffy merchandise, look at a counterfeit Mickey doll sometime and you'll understand the feeling. Some may think it's crazy to be so serious about a teddy bear, but imagine if Mickey Mouse just hadn't caught on, or if Walt Disney had made more compromises just to sell more people cheaper products. One could argue that the world would be a better place without a corporate giant like WDC embodied in its lovable mascot, but I think, when the Company is sincere in and about its purpose, the world is better off for having shared heroes and characters that inspire our hearts.

When I see these words, straight from the Oriental Land Company's top leadership, I remember so clearly just how important this character is and how long a campaign it's been to reach this point, where Duffy is actually spreading his particular flavor of sweet love all over the world. Duffy belongs to OLC, legally or not I don't care. They invested the brains, sweat and love to create him. He is an OLC original character, with no debate whatsoever, nurtured and infused with the spirit of Tokyo DisneySea and the determined vision of the Oriental Land Company in its quest to never let anyone forget what a Disney theme park can be, what it is meant to be - incomplete, and ever-growing with imagination, to feed the hearts of the world with the sweet fruits of happiness. Fresh from his cafe, Duffy brings, precisely, this Love.

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-29-2011 at 01:35 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

This is so enlightening, thank you for sharing it! The two statements couldn't be more different. Disney's is just like any other media conglomerate, and there's no mention of it's legacy. No commitment to quality, or creativity. Just, we want to be one of the other big boys and get lots of money. Oh, and we have a ton of brands that we'll whore out to do it.

Meanwhile, OLC, while also aiming to make money, is looking at it from the creative side. Build/create nice, innovative, quality things, and people (and their money) will come.

It's amazing that OLC, having been a railway company previously, really has embraced the true Disney philosophy that Walt seemed to strive for. Of course it's still a business, and the goal, ultimately is to make money, but sometimes you have to stick your neck out for something you believe in. Eventually, maybe it will make money or become a phenomenon. Look at Fantasia. It was a huge box office bomb when originally released, but it was done solely for creative reasons, and to push the boundaries. It was the first truly stereo film. Now, decades later, it's made it's money back because it has a legacy. It's long term. Duffy is similar. OLC may have had a vision for his ultimate success, but it was a gradual thing. They weren't expecting massive profits right from the start. They had every intention of nurturing him and seeing the end result years later. The WDC doesn't seem capable of that long-term vision anymore. It's all quick profit grabs, and if something bombs, they just toss it aside.

• I love that tiny bear!

The OLC statement is wonderful, though strange to an American ("strive for emotion as a company" isn't a concept I'm familiar with...or even "strive for emotion" as a person!). I'd like to live my life to some of those ideals, though.

I think a whole lot of the difference in mission statements is due to just how darned big Disney has become. The Internet (whether correctly or not) says Disney's mission statement used to be "To make people happy." (This page talks about how bad Disney's current mission statement is, though I didn't read the whole page.)

Today, Disney produces all sorts of movies, owns ABC and ESPN (among their other networks), and also has the theme parks. If their focus were almost exclusively on the theme parks, like OLC, or even almost exclusively on family entertainment, like when Walt was in charge, then they could afford to have a fuzzier mission statement like making people happy. But I don't see how a mission statement like OLC's could possibly apply to ESPN or ABC. OK, sports are emotional, I guess, but still. If Disney wished to, they COULD apply OLC's statement to their parks, merchandise, and quite a few of their movies. But IMO there's not much room for imagination in sports or episodes of "The Bachelor."

In fact, I have a hard time linking "to make people happy" with ESPN and "The Bachelor." "Entertain people," maybe, but that is not the same thing. (In any given sporting event, something like 1/2 of the people are not going to walk away happy, though they may have been entertained.)

Interestingly, Build-a-Bear has a mission statement that's closer to OLC's.

“At Build-A-Bear Workshop, our mission is to bring the teddy bear to life. An American icon, the teddy bear brings to mind warm thoughts about our childhood, about friendship, about trust and comfort, and also about love. Build-A-Bear Workshop embodies those thoughts in how we run our business everyday."

(Never mind the iffy use of "everyday" instead of "every day.")

Oh, and re: the 2011 versus 2012 US designs, I think the 2012 Duffy is MILES ahead of the 2011. While the basic idea is similar (almost as if it's a collectible series), there is SO much more detail in the 2012 outfit, with red bands around the hood, wrists, and hem, with a mostly-functional zipper. I'm not saying it's the most inspired item, but I think it's a huge step up from 2011's. 2012's outfit looks like a real hoodie, unlike 2011's outfit, which--as fuzzy and cuddly as it is in person, just looks cheap. Is 2012's outfit half as nice as OLC's designs? Of course not (though we've only had Duffy here for a year and change, so he hasn't had as much time to develop as OLC has had). Is the 2012 outfit at least twice as nice than 2011's? From pictures, at least, I think it is.

DISNEY LOT 10 NEWEST RELEASED 2012 DATED DUFFY BEARS FREE INT. SHIPPING | eBay

My friend (not a Duffy fan) argues they're both ugly, though. I personally like the 2012 one. The 2011 one I got because I wanted a squishable Duffy at a bargain price, and I had some ideas of salvaging his hoodie but now I don't think I'm going to bother. More excuse to make him new clothes!

(I am also guessing they made roughly 1 kajillion 2011 bears, assuming Duffy was going to take America by storm, since they're now selling him for about 1/3 the original retail price to try to clear him out. I'm guessing for future Duffy releases, Disney has adjusted expectations, so as not to have so many leftovers. So I would GUESS there probably won't be 2012 bears lingering on into next December. But if there are, and they're 1/3 off, I'm there. Even if it's just to steal his cute hoodie and give him away to a kid somewhere.)

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Mission Statements of the WDC vs the OLC and why CCC is worth every yen...^^

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    The OLC statement is wonderful, though strange to an American ("strive for emotion as a company" isn't a concept I'm familiar with...or even "strive for emotion" as a person!). I'd like to live my life to some of those ideals, though.
    I'm American and I don't find it strange at all, just inspiring. I do try to live my life to these ideals, and to my mind, that's what "Disney" is supposed to be about. My understanding of "strive for emotion" is that instead of locking feelings up or casting them aside, we embrace them. Instead of just harboring dreams in our heart, we explore them and try to realize them. I think this is precisely what an imagination-based character/story/theme park company should be all about.

I think a whole lot of the difference in mission statements is due to just how darned big Disney has become...

Today, Disney produces all sorts of movies, owns ABC and ESPN (among their other networks), and also has the theme parks. If their focus were almost exclusively on the theme parks, like OLC, or even almost exclusively on family entertainment, like when Walt was in charge, then they could afford to have a fuzzier mission statement like making people happy. But I don't see how a mission statement like OLC's could possibly apply to ESPN or ABC...
    We really agree about the problem, at least this part. I think there are a lot of very real human elements that we aren't exactly talking about, but the scope and priorities of the Company form a major issue. What bugs me is the way so many people at Disney and so many Disney "fans" seem resigned to this reality, as if expecting the company executives to restructure the arms of the Company so that they achieve the greater mission of being true to the legacy they always prop themselves up on is at best unreasonable and at worst naive. Isn't that precisely their job? I mean, shouldn't being the largest entertainment empire on the planet mean that they have the resources to live up to their own legacy at least as well as their own licensee on the other side of the world? If they can't or don't choose to, doesn't that really mean that something is very, very wrong with the way decisions are being made at this Company? I just don't understand making excuses for this. I'm not saying you are, but it happens all the time and this complacent attitude contributes nothing good to either the fandom nor the future. As far as I'm concerned, the Oriental Land Company is 10,000 times more "Disney" than Disney, but it doesn't have to be that way. Yet it will never change as long as fans support what has sadly become the status quo. Disney absolutely can do things better, and it should be an expectation, from both the Company and the fans. The Walt Disney Company often seems to see itself these days as "forcefully bound" to its animation and theme park divisions, rather than lovingly devoted to them, only trotting out Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse to capitalize on the nostalgia of the people consumers, whom they largely seem to view as sheep. It helps when we don't make it easy.

Interestingly, Build-a-Bear has a mission statement that's closer to OLC's.

“At Build-A-Bear Workshop, our mission is to bring the teddy bear to life. An American icon, the teddy bear brings to mind warm thoughts about our childhood, about friendship, about trust and comfort, and also about love. Build-A-Bear Workshop embodies those thoughts in how we run our business everyday."

(Never mind the iffy use of "everyday" instead of "every day.")
    Yeah, I noticed that, too, but it didn't really seem nearly as significant as the fact that I can see that mission statement clearly reflected in the quality of their products, the atmosphere of their stores and website and the feeling among BAB fans and customers. I hadn't thought of checking Build-A-Bear's mission statement. Thanks so much for posting this!^^ It really underscores exactly how important a clear and genuine mission statement is in determining the final experience for the customer/fan, in any industry. For as much as I dislike the WDC mission statement, I can draw a solid line from the goals outlined in their missions to my lived experience with all three of these companies.

Oh, and re: the 2011 versus 2012 US designs, I think the 2012 Duffy is MILES ahead of the 2011. While the basic idea is similar (almost as if it's a collectible series), there is SO much more detail in the 2012 outfit, with red bands around the hood, wrists, and hem, with a mostly-functional zipper. I'm not saying it's the most inspired item, but I think it's a huge step up from 2011's. 2012's outfit looks like a real hoodie, unlike 2011's outfit, which--as fuzzy and cuddly as it is in person, just looks cheap. Is 2012's outfit half as nice as OLC's designs? Of course not (though we've only had Duffy here for a year and change, so he hasn't had as much time to develop as OLC has had). Is the 2012 outfit at least twice as nice than 2011's? From pictures, at least, I think it is...My friend (not a Duffy fan) argues they're both ugly, though.
    I'd have to agree with your friend. I don't really feel I can call almost the identical design and color scheme a 200% improvement, even with some trim and a partially-functional zipper. Gurgi's top hat and tails idea seemed a lot more impressive, and there's probly a factory somewhere that already makes that pattern cheap and 12" size. It didn't have to break the mold, but I'd have liked to see just a teeny bit more effort than changing little more than the "1" to a "2." I think of Disney as an art house with an eye for design. This design doesn't look like something I think a Disney-caliber artist would want, so I don't think it should be something they offer to the public.

The main difference between 2012 and 2011 in terms of visual design concept is the Mickey mark becoming a star, which to me is a backwards step. The main difference between my impression of the "artist" who designed this New Year's hoodie and the designers on the OLC Duffy team is that when I look at what comes out of Tokyo, I see something that looks like it went through several iterations before someone had the feeling of genuine satisfaction that they had "nailed it," and that those same people can't wait to see public reaction to their heartfelt work. Then there's brand-new artwork produced just for that outfit, and tons of other merchandise all built around this central design concept, so everyone has to take their work very seriously and do it with care.

The fans see all of this investment and lovingly support it. There is a loving contract, and when you pay for that, you don't feel "had" and you don't wanna throw it away in two years. It really does instill every piece of memorabilia with something magical, something that goes even beyond its unwavering quality. And let's just remember that TDR shows, marketing, costumes... All that stuff is designed with/by? Walt Disney Imagineering. The Duffy team is actually a wholly OLC team, from what I've gathered. But Duffy is not the only great thing about TDR; everything is excellent.

What I can't understand is why the Company never sees what its talent is producing for Tokyo and says, "Hey, we should do something like that here!" Oh wait, I do know why. It's cos they think they don't have to, cos they think the market for those products is undiscerning and will buy whatever they put a Mickey logo on provided it's cheap enough. So they determine that it's wasteful to invest too much time, energy or resources in fluffy notions like original, creative, imaginative ideas. This works wonders for them, too, because it keeps expectations so low that they barely have to do anything for fans to be "blown away" by how much better some tiny throwaway improvement seems. When you produce on the cheap, you can have a ridiculous profit margin. I really wish I could prove it, but I bet WDC products have a much higher profit margin than Duffy goods, although I know that's not true for everything at TDR. The WDC knows they can get away with this because they have effectively trained Disney fans to expect and even be impressed with less, and to be grateful for whatever they get. They are not striving to impress because they don't think they have to, they're Disney. Heck, maybe they're right, but that's heartbreaking if it's true.

This 2012 hoodie took probably less than 30 minutes (being very generous for a professional designer) of digital editing from last year before it was sent off to the factory. It would require real evidence of a little sincere investment and "striving for emotion" for me to call anything at WDC twice improved. Pixar is, of course, quite the exception...although Cars 2...cringe.

(I am also guessing they made roughly 1 kajillion 2011 bears, assuming Duffy was going to take America by storm, since they're now selling him for about 1/3 the original retail price to try to clear him out. I'm guessing for future Duffy releases, Disney has adjusted expectations, so as not to have so many leftovers...
    That expectation for big sales was the only reason Duffy ever made it back to the US, and I really hope it comes to bite the execs who tried pimping him out. The great thing is that when people search for info about Duffy, they are bound to find out more about the Oriental Land Company and the Tokyo Disney Resort. They are bound to discover DisneySea and be thoroughly amazed. They are bound to see Duffy's Japanese costumes and wonder why the US doesn't support its characters like that. They are bound to ask questions that push them more and more inevitably toward the ultimate question, "Why is this licensee better at doing "Disney" than Disney, and why would I choose, then, to support the WDC? More families who live far away from Walt Disney World or Disneyland may start thinking about making a trip to Tokyo instead. Sure, it's more expensive, but they'll wanna find out what all the fuss is about. And once you visit the Tokyo Resort, there's no going back to complacency.

The Tokyo contract is different. Fans pay slightly more for some items, but within the Japanese economy, things are actually not so pricey. Plus, they actually get the experience they're paying for: High Quality Happiness Stimulation.^^ Even the higher-priced TDR merchandise and Duffy items regularly sell out. Sometimes even the non-seasonal stuff runs out of stock temporarily. If the quality was there, people who care about quality would be attracted to Disney and support it so that the quality could continue. There is a market for this. The CCC may truly be a Japan-only or highly exclusive US Duffy Fan Club kind of item. But the Duffy Post is proof that many of the kinds of Disney fans who are likely to care about Duffy anyway are willing to pay more to support higher quality. I wish WDC would at least try it! Do it once and see what happens. If they knew they could make the money they want to, maybe they'd become freer and freer with the designs. Maybe they'd actually start to care about him if they made more money. But they're not even willing to take the risk, and I'm not willing to pay them for lackluster work.

I saw the US costumes at a teddy bear show a couple weeks ago. It just seems like they're not willing to take any chances on using "the perfect material" or "all the right details" because they might lose that extra penny in production when the stuff doesn't sell. It's like they're seeing the lower than expected sales as proof that the bear just doesn't work in the US, rather than as evidence of a need for strategy change. Look at Disney Couture; it's insanely overpriced, but totally great, original stuff! I really wish they would give Duffy to that team or someone who really cares... The good thing, though, is that the issues regarding the US/global Duffy launch don't seem to have deterred the Japanese team at all. They seem to see their vision as very different and they're maintaining commitment to it. If anything, CCC seems to be an indication of their pride in the Duffy brand they've worked so hard to build and their adamant refusal to let it be tarnished, by any means. Fluffelujah!^^