Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Difference between TDS Duffy and US Parks Duffy??

Oh wow, that looks pretty bad. It looks too fat! And just... NOT Duffy!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Look closely at that photo. The left eye is lower on the face than the right one. It makes him look (I'm going to probably catch flack for this but,) retarded. How can that possibly pass a "quality check" at the factory? THE EYES ARE NOT EVEN!!! And that's not just a one-off. I noticed that same thing on several Duffys throughout WDW a couple weeks ago.

I'm heading to DCA tomorrow and I will try to snap a few photos of the new Duffy's to show what is going on with them

Thumbs up Re: Difference between TDS Duffy and US Parks Duffy??

Quote Originally Posted by TDS Duffy View Post
    Added ... the naked Duffy is the US version on the left. The Jr. Canadian Ranger dressed one is my Japan version.

Funny thing is that I actually thought the Duffy on the right was from TDS. He's "cuter" somehow, but also with a more proportionate arm and demure nose. His profile is particularly nicer. His ears have more of a curve, too, I think (less "flappy"), but it's hard to be sure cos of the hat. The head is generally rounder, rather than "bullet-shaped," and the eyes are set deeper. Also, TDS Duffy's fur looks more like plush and less like carpet, but that's not really clear from photos.^^

I swear I totally thought it was a TDS Duffy dressed up like a "Canadian," and I was afraid there was some kind of "trick" going on! Now I am just kicking myself for not posting before the "big reveal!"

• Minion

The thing that I don't really like about my Duffy (Duffette) is that she seems overstuffed and can hardly even sit up without some kind of assistance. :-/ Makes posing her for photos extra difficult. Lil D may be just a humble old Disney Bear, but he's cuddly and smooshy and everything a teddy bear should be.

Lil D is a DUFFY, through and through, I think!

And Duffette is at least eight different kinds of awesome, in any pose!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, Diznygrl, I think you've done your part to make Li'l D and Duffette authentic. Even if Lil'D started as the Disney Bear, he's earned his Duffy name.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    The thing that I don't really like about my Duffy (Duffette) is that she seems overstuffed and can hardly even sit up without some kind of assistance. :-/ Makes posing her for photos extra difficult. Lil D may be just a humble old Disney Bear, but he's cuddly and smooshy and everything a teddy bear should be.
    That's SO weird. I hadn't noticed it but my 2011 Duffy doesn't sit up great either, though I squished him and managed it...we'll see what happens; he is going to Ren Faire tomorrow.

If the problem truly is that Duffette is overstuffed, that should be easily remedied with a seam ripper and some thread to re-stitch her. (Though maybe she just needs more hugs to get squishier? )

Lil D is amazing and I hope he and you know it. Thus far, he's shown more creativity in his left paw than the entire US design team.

• Minion

Aw, you guys are so sweet. Lil D and Duffette were thrilled to receive such kind remarks, so they decided to thank you the best way they know how. Impromptu photo time!

Haha! I can't disagree - every picture I've seen of Lil D and Duffette is packed with personality! I admire your creativity and imaginative ideas! Bravo!

Now - onto TDS Duffy and US Duffy...

US Duffy on Left, TDS Duffy on Right...

I think their difference is clearest in their profile shot - you can really see US Duffy's pointy nose and TDS shorter slightly turned upright nose. Different head shape perhaps, and different ears too...??

I love them both for their uniqueness but its interesting to compare the two. Again, my US Duffy was purchased in March 2011 and I believe my TDS Duffy was purchased around November-December 2011. Let me know what you guys think!

Interesting, My main US Duffy was purchased in November 2010 and looks more like the TDS version, even the profile shot. My "backup" US Duffy that was purchased in early 2011 is almost idental as well. The US Duffy I bought for my mom in April 2011 is more like your US Duffy.

*shrug*

I was at Disneyland this weekend. I did a detailed inspection of the Duffys in Showcase at Disneyland and at Paradise Pier in California Adventure, picking up, squeezing, turning over them over, looking at fur. Cast thought I was looking for one ... not. I have found the following differences between my OLC Duffy and the US Duffy. I took a picture, but it did not come out as good as the one in the earlier post (from the ebay auction)

1. Arms and legs are overstuffed, they are stiff.
    2. Eyes, most are not aligned correctly.
    3. Heads are not shaped correctly, lopsided and then squashed. Even fluffing his head couldn't fix it. It seems like a round ball was placed on the top of his body. It lost personality.
    4. Mickey shaped in face not as clean.
    5. Nose ... mentioned many times above.
    6. Seams. They are very apparent and you can feel them. It's like someone gave him stomach surgery and did a poor job on the stitching.

The last last piece of info I can't verify - I was told that Disney changed manufacturers in Vietnam. So they are not coming from the same place as the OLC Duffy.

It really seems like they've made the US version the ugly step-brother - and that is NOT cool.
    Last edited by TDS Duffy; 03-23-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: fixed some typos.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The last last piece of info I can't verify - I was told that Disney changed manufacturers in Vietnam. So they are not coming from the same place as the OLC Duffy.
    Well, considering how poor in quality the current US Dufffys are compared to ones that were made even a year ago, that makes sense. It's really sad though. Really.

USA just can't seem to get Duffy right! They don't seem to understand how to market him or make him!

I was at one of the Character Outlets where they had a slew of 12" Duffy's in bins. Their faces were super ugly! Hideous actually!! Disney is probably having a very difficult time finding a manufacture to make Duffy consistently.

They were selling some 17" Duffy's at some of the Outlets too. The CM's told me it was because Disney was changing him to the less pointy snout. I don't think they realized that they were also going to change Duffy to that funky waffled fur!

• I love that tiny bear!

That's horrible! I'm sure they only save $1 or $2 per bear (probably less than that) by going with cheaper materials and production methods. Which granted, over thousands of Duffies is a lot of money, but they could pass it on to the consumer.

I was thinking about this last night...Disney has made an effort to ensure Vinylmation figures are well made and cleanly painted for collectors. Yet a lot of kids like then too. Duffy seems to be the other way around--Disney is aiming for kids and figuring you can lower the quality and kids won't care. Not only is that unfair to kids, but it's almost like they're trying to alienate the adult and collector markets. I've read lots of articles noting that kids on the whole are "growing out" of toys faster and faster. Most toy companies do seem to ignore the collector market, but I don't think that's wise--and making things cheaper because they are for kids causes long-term problems. (Even in Japan, they make super-expensive but fabulous items targeted more toward the higher-end Duffy market...as well as the super-high-quality and still fabulous items targeted toward the base market.)

I'm not certain about overstuffed limbs being a definite flaw (could be a style choice I guess, if perhaps not a wise one, and it is the one thing I could fix myself if I wanted to...it surely isn't cheaper to overstuff the bear, since it adds to weight/shipping cost as well as the cost of the stuffing). But the rest of the faults are an indisputable decrease in quality, which is just wrong. And Disney already raised the price $5 from the introductory price...this continual slide in quality is really worrisome.

I'm guessing poor assembly could be fixed by improved quality control and paying the workers more so they aren't as rushed (or just reducing the number of units they're expected to sew). It looks like the average monthly minimum wage in Vietnam is under $100 US even in an industrialized area. Raising the pay to attract more talented workers and/or hiring more people but giving them smaller quotas would probably only add less than $1 per Duffy. (Or if they're made by home workers, they could again increase quality control but increase the amount paid per bear.)

Granted, I doubt labor is the main cost on the bears (which makes it even more baffling that the actual workmanship is so bad!). I'm almost certain the profit margin on the larger bears is higher than the magnet bears, yes. But the magnet bears cost $8 while the larger ones cost $30, and the magnet bears contain 5 high-strength magnets and a neck swivel joint. It's actually harder to sew small things than medium-sized/large things--it's certainly not 4 times quicker/easier to sew together the tiny bears, except for the foot and backside embroidery, which is surely done by an embroidery machine (with, probably, minimal labor required). So materials must be a substantial cost. Hence that cheap waffle fur.

At least there have been reports that the magnet bears I complained about earlier are OK again (though that was a while ago). The ones I ordered from the Disney Store online a few months ago were just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast