Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Difference between TDS Duffy and US Parks Duffy??

Hope this question hasn't already been answered, but is there any difference between the Duffy sold at TDS and the Duffy sold at US Parks? And does the TDS Duffy's tag say "Tokyo DisneySea" or just "Disney Parks"? Thanks for all your help and Happy New Year!! Oh and comparison pictures between the two bears would be great! Thanks again!!

• North American Duffeteer

Re: Difference between TDS Duffy and US Parks Duffy??

The Tokyo DisneySea Duffy doesn't have the "Disney Parks" tag.

The Disney Parks Duffy (DL, WDW, HKDL, DLP) has two tags on his legs, as they both say Disney Parks.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Become part of MY world!

Poor unfortunate Souls.

Thanks! That does help a lot!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have noticed more recent Duffys sold in the US (at least at WDW), have different fur than before and it feels CHEAP. I've also noticed some faces are totally lopsided (I actually saw a few where one eye was lower on the face than the other, which made Duffy look deformed), and smaller ears too (more like BAB bear size). It just struck me as really odd and disappointed the US parks are already going on the cheap with Duffy... unless that was just an odd batch that came through from Vietnam. But they weren't like that when he came to the US in 2010 or even the first part of 2011... they were the EXACT same quality as at TDS.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I have noticed more recent Duffys sold in the US (at least at WDW), have different fur than before and it feels CHEAP. I've also noticed some faces are totally lopsided (I actually saw a few where one eye was lower on the face than the other, which made Duffy look deformed), and smaller ears too (more like BAB bear size). It just struck me as really odd and disappointed the US parks are already going on the cheap with Duffy... unless that was just an odd batch that came through from Vietnam. But they weren't like that when he came to the US in 2010 or even the first part of 2011... they were the EXACT same quality as at TDS.

Yes I noticed the change in quality in the US Duffy recently too! I bought one for my nephew and was shocked at the difference. I thought they were supposed to me made in the same factories, but there was a really drastic difference between him and my Japanese Duffies. Aimster is right; the fur is different, the ears are smaller for some reason, and mine was overstuffed and not as soft & squishy. Also the seams were very visible, especially on th ears. I was pretty shocked at the difference because I had thought they were supposed to be the same. I hope the bears currently sold at Tokyo DisneySea aren't the lower quality ones too.

I'll do another "quality check" at WDW either next month or in March and see what's what. If they still have these cheap quality bears, I will be lodging quite the complaint with merchandising for allowing such substandard merchandise to be allowed on the sales floor.

• Become part of MY world!

Yup the quality has been reduced, it took me FOREVER to find a Duffy for my sister whose face wasn't lopsided or overstuffed, exposed seams, etc. very bad on Disney's part.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

I agree. I got my duffy from Dca january 2011. Since I have my duffy I dont really look at the Duffys. But in november I just happened to squeeze a duffy and I immediately said to my husband "spencer feel this!" The duffy seemed skinnier than mine. Like they are not putting enough stuffing in them. I felt a few others to make sure it wasn't just that one. And they all seemed that way. Albeit they feel softer than my duffy. But my duffy IS used so he is not as soft as he used to be. I love my duffy and was telling hubby that it would be hard to replace him because he is a part of me.

• I love that tiny bear!

I can't compare quality of the bears themselves as I never bought a big one. The 18" bear looked much CUTER to me in November 2011 versus October 2010, but that was probably because I'd seen a lot of cute pictures here. (The main reason I got the magnet Duffy instead of a big one back in 2010, besides being cheap, was that the magnet one looked cuter to me, and more like the giant Duffy I had hugged.)

But if they are in fact charging $30 for a substandard-quality bear...when they actually RAISED his price from his introductory price...then that's particularly disappointing. I always figured as long as the base bears themselves were high quality I'm not nearly as bothered regardless of what they do with clothes, because there are other sources for bear clothes. But I just can't spend $70+ US for a Duffy from TDS shipped...I thought $30 was steep.

The magnet Duffies are different than they were in October 2010 as well. I was sure they were off-model (their heads are very wide). But I put an elastic band around their heads for a little while and that seems to have rounded out their head a little more, though I might just be getting used to it.

(Either way, some of them had crooked ears, etc. and on all the bears, the magnets were not as well-planned, making posing more difficult. The lovely Shellie May magnet I got from DuffyDaisuki has one paw that doesn't like to stick to my old Duffy magnet's paw the one way, too, so that could be an overall change in design. My old tiny Duffy is much more "sticky"--he has weak magnets on the TOP of his hand-paws, as well as the very strong ones on the "palms" of his hand-paws. If I'm careful, he can stick to the BOTTOM of my flat metal futon bar with the tops of his paws. Tiny Shellie May cannot, though her magnets are SUBSTANTIALLY better than the new magnet Duffies, which can only sit with difficulty.)

Thanks for all the help! But it's too bad that Duffy's quality has seemed to decrease since his release in 2010 to California Adventure and Epcot... It's sad to me that Duffy's face looked "lopsided or overstuffed"! I wish they were still great quality like they used to be here in the states! Has anyone that has visited TDS lately noticed a change in Duffy quality there too, or is it just in the US? I hope the quality of Duffy will increase soon! I'll do a Duffy "quality check" on my next WDW trip too aimster to see what's up!

Thought I would share this, took this back in Oct 2011. Noticed the the difference was related to his face and nose. It seems that a recent turn of events extends it to fur & ears; as it is being discussed in the Shopping thread.

Added ... the naked Duffy is the US version on the left. The Jr. Canadian Ranger dressed one is my Japan version.

Last edited by TDS Duffy; 02-28-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added which is which.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Thanks for the picture! Since posting, I too have received a TDS Duffy - I will try to post a "quality difference" picture later tonight because I have noticed that my US Duffy has what seems to me as different fur than my TDS Duffy and a pointier nose. TDS Duffy's nose seems to be more close to his face and slightly turned upright....But maybe It's just me....

I purchased my US Duffy in Disney World last March (2011) and I believe my TDS Duffy was purchased around last December (2011)....

Oh, and just to clarify, Is the left or right Duffy from DisneySEA or vice versa?

Yes which one is on the right and which is on the left, TDS Duffy? You didn't say which is which.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Ok, I know this isn't a great picture, but it's from an ebay listing where it looks like the "new" version with the waffle fur, and the smaller ears. I can see the difference even in the bad photo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast