• The Pumpkin King

Whi is Duffy The Bear? Lol.

I have seen him at DCA before and seen him again in Disneyland Adventures Kinect.

But who is he though?

It's like he just came out of nowhere.

NNooo!! I spelled Who as Whi!!!

Can a Mod fix that? Hahaha

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Whi is Duffy The Bear? Lol.

Welcome! The FAQ at the top of this forum has a section answering the question "Who is Duffy?" He didn't exactly come out of nowhere...he was (and is) extremely popular in Japan and the very first Disney Bear was actually in Disney parks years ago.

Duffy (the Disney Bear) FAQs

• The Pumpkin King

Re: Whi is Duffy The Bear? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Welcome! The FAQ at the top of this forum has a section answering the question "Who is Duffy?" He didn't exactly come out of nowhere...he was (and is) extremely popular in Japan and the very first Disney Bear was actually in Disney parks years ago.

Duffy (the Disney Bear) FAQs
    Aahh okay, cool, thank you!

Thumbs up Re: Whi is Duffy The Bear? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    ...the very first Disney Bear was actually in Disney parks years ago.
    I would remind all new folks that "the very first Disney Bear" was almost nothing like Duffy at all except that it had Mickey mark paws, hip, and the Mickey silhouette face. Even the base illustration style was completely different (although the US now uses the Japanese design regularly...though not exclusively). The park mascot costume construction was radically different, too. Product materials and varieties were different in concept, materials and construction as well. It was very much a "Mickey's teddy bear," and not intended to be a character in its own right...much like the US still seems to be trying to do with Duffy, but that's a longer discussion.^^

The Disney Bears were sold at Tokyo DisneySEA in 2004, and within the first year - by December of 2005 - the quality was improved along with giving the character a name, a home in the park, and a backstory with considerably more classic "Disney" heart. From 2007~2009, meeting Duffy in the parks with Santa was an annual Christmas event for which people literally lined up for hours. It should be remembered that this was all conceived, written, designed and executed in Japan. The Oriental Land Company, full owner and operator of the Tokyo Disney Resort, thinks of Duffy as their own unique, exclusive "Tokyo DisneySea original character" and I stand firmly with them on this. I think it is always worth making sure that new Duffy fans completely understand this point and don't feel confused by Duffy's unique pedigree, nor the marketing of Duffy by the Walt Disney Company which is a very recent event. It would be such a horrible shame to be be a fan of Duffy, yet be ignorant of or forget where the name, the backstory, the quality and the heartwarming vibe that ultimately made people truly care about this very special character actually come from. Cape Cod in Tokyo DisneySEA's American Waterfront is, now and forever, Duffy's hometown.^^

For further information on this subject, please click HERE and scroll down to the part about mission statements...then keep reading!