• Munchings & Crunchings

Question Maybe premature, but...speculation about themes for 2013's "Sweet Duffy", let's talk!

I know we haven't even officially started Sweet Duffy 2012 yet, but DuffyD got me thinking and talking about the themes over the years. Since we know this year's is another (yet, best ever) cafe costume, I think it's time for something new. Now, nobody has any clue what OLC will do for next year, but let's get creative and think of the possibilities. Anything but cafe costumes!

In 2009 it was the first time we ever saw any kind of big Duffy event, and it was the very first Sweet Duffy. It was only Duffy at that point, and he had a cute cafe costume with a bouquet of roses & a chocolate.

Then, 2010 came and things got a double dose of cute with the introduction of ShellieMay. That year there were no cafe costumes. Instead we got the absolutely adorable "Heartfull Sailor" sets.

2011 saw the return of the cafe concept, and also a rehash of the Heartfull Sailor, for those that missed it the previous year. It had some minor changes...most notably, NO SHOES (that's a big loss, in my opinion).

Heartfull Sailor Version 2011

And, now for 2012 we get the third (well, second for ShellieMay) variation on the cafe costume. These are the best yet, in my opinion.

So, what do you guys think? Should we be done with the cafe series for good? Should OLC create something entirely new for the next Sweet Duffy? I think so, but what are some ideas they could do that would be just as adorable?

I'd like if they created costumes based on the Mickey and Minnie Valentine Nights clothes they wear. They did once for Duffy in 2006, but I'd love to see that purple, blue & pink dress on ShellieMay.

Or, something new entirely. I would love a tux & tails set for Duffy, and an elegant dress for ShellieMay. Not necessarily romantic either. It's still winter during the event too, so I guess nothing too "springy" like gardening. Although, instead of running a cafe, they could work in a flower shop. But, then they'd have worker costumes again...

A sunset cruise costume set would be cute too. They could either be captain Duffy and first mate ShellieMay, or just passengers on the cruise.

Another idea is cupid. I'm not fond of the US version of the cupid Duffy, but if OLC were to go for that concept that would be over the top, I'm sure. A pair of wings on Duffy and Shellie would be truly adorable. They are little angels, after all. Well, except for Eeeeva's klepto bears, LOL!

Any other ideas for Valentine concepts for Duffy and ShellieMay? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by gurgi; 01-19-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: swapping pictures.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Maybe premature, but...speculation about themes for 2013's "Sweet Duffy", let's t

^Only the Sweet Duffy 2012 pics are showing, all the other are ???(nvm, I think it's my mac cause the pics alternate from ? to pic with refresh)

Idk, I really like the cafe costumes, and I personally wouldn't mind if they continued with it. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Valentines at all! That's why I love the whole cafe concept because it's not all about Lovey Dovey Hearts, red, pink and white all over the place. It's more about friendship and helping out others find love through a cafe! That's why I love this theme so much. And I don't get any Duffy and Shellie being a couple vibes from the event, which to me, would just be weird. I see them more as brother/sister, more than anything else. But if I were to choose a new theme....hmmmmm, I'll get back to you on that! Haha, but I'm sure whatever OLC comes up with, it WILL top this year's release!
    Last edited by Ursulalvr; 01-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Re: Maybe premature, but...speculation about themes for 2013's "Sweet Duffy", let's t

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    ^Only the Sweet Duffy 2012 pics are showing, all the other are ???(nvm, I think it's my mac cause the pics alternate from ? to pic with refresh)
    No, they're not showing for me, either. Only, oddly enough, they did suddenly appear when I quoted the post... Perhaps it's because they're hopscotched through two sites instead of linked to the direct source of the image? Or perhaps it's part of MiceChat's SOPA/PIPA blackout participation, intended to call attention to the ways this legislation will immediately and seriously cripple any basic social communities or fandoms built around any kind of copyrighted property.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    Idk, I really like the cafe costumes, and I personally wouldn't mind if they continued with it. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Valentines at all! That's why I love the whole cafe concept because it's not all about Lovey Dovey Hearts, red, pink and white all over the place. It's more about friendship and helping out others find love through a cafe! That's why I love this theme so much. And I don't get any Duffy and Shellie being a couple vibes from the event, which to me, would just be weird. I see them more as brother/sister, more than anything else. But if I were to choose a new theme....hmmmmm, I'll get back to you on that! Haha, but I'm sure whatever OLC comes up with, it WILL top this year's release!
    I agree that OLC will almost certainly exceed expectations, as that's generally a safe bet. In recent years, the new release is always "better" in some way, and yet there now seems to be a real effort to also make sure that previous releases do not feel "worse" by comparison, either. Outfits comprised of mix-n-match pieces that invite you to create your favorite Disney character with authentic Disney pieces, but composed your own way seems to be the direction Duffy is moving in, and I love it.

I see the bears as "magical twins" (not necessarily born at the same time, but cut from the same cloth, nonetheless^^) who are also best friends, like Sanrio's Little Twin Stars Kiki and Lala. I think that's how OLC sees them, too, and as characters who inspire love in others, rather than being "in love" with each other. I think that's their nature, but I also think people who wanna see a sweetheart vibe probably can. I doubt anything like that will ever be official, though. For the bears, the 2/14~3/14 Season of the Heart seems to be "work time," bringing happiness and love to others, and I think that's as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Or, something new entirely. I would love a tux & tails set for Duffy, and an elegant dress for ShellieMay. Not necessarily romantic either. It's still winter during the event too, so I guess nothing too "springy" like gardening. Although, instead of running a cafe, they could work in a flower shop. But, then they'd have worker costumes again...

A sunset cruise costume set would be cute too. They could either be captain Duffy and first mate ShellieMay, or just passengers on the cruise.

Another idea is cupid. I'm not fond of the US version of the cupid Duffy, but if OLC were to go for that concept that would be over the top, I'm sure. A pair of wings on Duffy and Shellie would be truly adorable. They are little angels, after all. Well, except for Eeeeva's klepto bears, LOL!

Any other ideas for Valentine concepts for Duffy and ShellieMay? What do you guys think?
    I would like to see OLC's exceptional quality craftsmanship applied to a tuxedo and evening dress cocktail dress(!!). I'm thinking 1920s/30s, inspired by the Broadway Theater and American Waterfront. This would be especially cool if combined with an all-new (PLEASE!?!) set list for Big Band Beat or a totally reenvisioned Valentine Nights. Honestly, I don't really like the puffy pastel pageantry of Valentine Nights, but it's a nice show in theory. My favorite things about it were being able to photograph inside the Broadway, the fact that it included many different expressions of love other than "romance," and the messages from people in the audience to people in the audience. That was sweet!

While I think OLC could do a good job with the cherubs, I find it difficult to imagine liking that concept. If anyone could sell it to me, it would be the Oriental Land Company, but I dunno. I'm sure I'd want them to have full toga robes and not just some diaper, to look almost like ancient gods, rather than little cutesy things. I dunno. I would never say "impossible" to the OLC Duffy design team, but there are, in fact, a very few costumes I have not purchased and cherubs could end up on that list.

Personally, my favorite thing about Sweet Duffy is that it inspired Duffy's first additional storybook. For the first time, we saw what Duffy does, other than just his origin. It defined helping people connect and love each other as part of his character and gave him a sense of "mission." For me, I'd like Sweet Duffy to always be defined by work and uniforms. I think the cafe costume still has room to do wait staff costumes or hotel kitchen staff or chefs. There is still a lot of potential unexplored there, though I agree that a break might be nice, too.

We did see a lot of flowers in this year's cafe theming, likely as a lead-up to Spring Voyage. I think a flower stand opened in front of the little garden next to the Sweet Duffy Cafe could be cool. It's important to me that the Sweet Duffy Cafe is a "real" place in Cape Cod, that Cape Cod Cook-off effectively becomes the Cafe. The little herb and vegetable garden between Cook-off and Aunt Peg's could become a flower garden for the event, and they could even make a little flower vendor there. That would be cute. Hard to plan the logistics, but cute. They already have that outdoor sweets vendor in front of Cook-off selling chocolate Happy Duffys, so it's not inconceivable. Florists could be very cute, and Shellie has never had anything even kind of like it. Oh, oh! It would be cute if they sold real flowers, but had plush flowers attached, and you could make a "bouquet" of flowers of your own choosing and then attach it to the plush bear to give as a gift... I dunno, I just got excited about that one. One piece of merchandise I'd like to see with the Cafe concept is a music box or trinket box or something that is a sculpted replica of the Sweet Duffy Cafe. A "cash register" style bank could be cool, too, if they went for a more "diner" vibe. Yeah, there's still a lot to do there.

As for ship crew, that would be a third time return to the Heartful Sailor, which has already been made twice for each bear. I love the concept, so I'm not against it, but it would need to be really fresh. One idea is to do the negative, have red outfits with white accent. Also, perhaps "admiral" rather than "captain" and a cute "first mate" cap for Shellie. Hm... This could be good, too. I do like when they sail, although in my own world, Shellie prefers flying.

Since UniBEARsity has ripped so much from Duffy and since when I think of Valentine's and White Day I mostly think of students, I would like to see a school concept. Like "Duffy and ShellieMay's Heartful Charm School" or something. The curriculum would be so fun to create! I'd love to see OLC make high-quality school uniforms using the emblem from Heartful Sailor (and "nerd" glasses for both bears and humans!), and the entire line of inspired merchandise would be incredible. This would be my personal Duffy dream come true, and a potential best-ever concept, I think.^^

What a fun topic, Gurgi!

---------- Post added 01-19-2012 at 08:47 AM ----------

PS: Hm...the only photo I can't see in Gurgi's post now is Valentine Nights...
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-18-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Diction and dress selection.^^

• Become part of MY world!

Haha yea, the photos keep disappearing and reappearing!

I LOVE your ideas DuffyD! My favorite is definitely the school uniforms! That would also just be a Dream costume for me! I've wanted some good quality school uniforms for them for a while! And it would definitely be Valentine's related! I remember all those rose or -crud, I can't think of the work right now >< - messages from middle school and high school. As a matter of fact, school is probably the place where Valentines is celebrated the most! OOoooo! I really hope they do this!!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Gurgi must have posted it as secret message that only those who knew how to decipher it could read.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I agree that OLC will almost certainly exceed expectations, as that's generally a safe bet. In recent years, the new release is always "better" in some way, and yet there now seems to be a real effort to also make sure that previous releases do not feel "worse" by comparison, either. Outfits comprised of mix-n-match pieces that invite you to create your favorite Disney character with authentic Disney pieces, but composed your own way seems to be the direction Duffy is moving in, and I love it.
    I do love the versatile pieces they have been creating lately. Whether it's intentional or not, they've created a nice selection of outfits you can create out of bits and pieces from over the years. And, often, they release things that directly compliment past releases, or reference them in some way.

I see the bears as "magical twins" (not necessarily born at the same time, but cut from the same cloth, nonetheless^^) who are also best friends, like Sanrio's Little Twin Stars Kiki and Lala. I think that's how OLC sees them, too, and as characters who inspire love in others, rather than being "in love" with each other. I think that's their nature, but I also think people who wanna see a sweetheart vibe probably can. I doubt anything like that will ever be official, though. For the bears, the 2/14~3/14 Season of the Heart seems to be "work time," bringing happiness and love to others, and I think that's as it should be.
    Yes, I agree with this! The love isn't focused between Duffy and ShellieMay, but rather them being instruments for other people's love. They are "on the job" so to speak, LOL. I'm sure some see them as sweethearts (and we've had this discussion before), but I hope it always stays like "Little Twin Stars", and they are just paired together without being romantically linked. I love that childlike innocence about them. Also, I love that they can bring people together. I just don't know that they always have to work in a cafe.

I would like to see OLC's exceptional quality craftsmanship applied to a tuxedo and evening dress cocktail dress(!!). I'm thinking 1920s/30s, inspired by the Broadway Theater and American Waterfront. This would be especially cool if combined with an all-new (PLEASE!?!) set list for Big Band Beat or a totally reenvisioned Valentine Nights. Honestly, I don't really like the puffy pastel pageantry of Valentine Nights, but it's a nice show in theory. My favorite things about it were being able to photograph inside the Broadway, the fact that it included many different expressions of love other than "romance," and the messages from people in the audience to people in the audience. That was sweet!
    Yes, something "big city" inspired! Although it wouldn't be "Cape Cod" anymore, but I really would love to see OLC's take on formal wear for Duffy and ShellieMay.

While I think OLC could do a good job with the cherubs, I find it difficult to imagine liking that concept. If anyone could sell it to me, it would be the Oriental Land Company, but I dunno. I'm sure I'd want them to have full toga robes and not just some diaper, to look almost like ancient gods, rather than little cutesy things. I dunno. I would never say "impossible" to the OLC Duffy design team, but there are, in fact, a very few costumes I have not purchased and cherubs could end up on that list.
    Yeah, when I brought it up, I was thinking that really the only way I would be ok with cupid Duffy is if OLC did it. I certainly don't want Duffy in a diaper. I would hope they would make them more like angels, rather than the usual image of cupid. Although, a few years ago, during "Season of the Heart" they did have images of Hewey, Dewey, and Louie as cherubs and that was adorable to me, but I don't want that for Duffy. I'd like something more like "angel Duffy". With robes, sandals, wings, etc.

Personally, my favorite thing about Sweet Duffy is that it inspired Duffy's first additional storybook. For the first time, we saw what Duffy does, other than just his origin. It defined helping people connect and love each other as part of his character and gave him a sense of "mission." For me, I'd like Sweet Duffy to always be defined by work and uniforms. I think the cafe costume still has room to do wait staff costumes or hotel kitchen staff or chefs. There is still a lot of potential unexplored there, though I agree that a break might be nice, too.
    Yes, I think if they did continue with the cafe concept, I would hope they give them different roles other than wait staff. Chef would be very cute, and a first for Duffy and ShellieMay. I wouldn't mind a "diner" concept either, but then that is not the time period for Cape Cod, so maybe not...

We did see a lot of flowers in this year's cafe theming, likely as a lead-up to Spring Voyage. I think a flower stand opened in front of the little garden next to the Sweet Duffy Cafe could be cool. It's important to me that the Sweet Duffy Cafe is a "real" place in Cape Cod, that Cape Cod Cook-off effectively becomes the Cafe. The little herb and vegetable garden between Cook-off and Aunt Peg's could become a flower garden for the event, and they could even make a little flower vendor there. That would be cute. Hard to plan the logistics, but cute. They already have that outdoor sweets vendor in front of Cook-off selling chocolate Happy Duffys, so it's not inconceivable. Florists could be very cute, and Shellie has never had anything even kind of like it. Oh, oh! It would be cute if they sold real flowers, but had plush flowers attached, and you could make a "bouquet" of flowers of your own choosing and then attach it to the plush bear to give as a gift... I dunno, I just got excited about that one. One piece of merchandise I'd like to see with the Cafe concept is a music box or trinket box or something that is a sculpted replica of the Sweet Duffy Cafe. A "cash register" style bank could be cool, too, if they went for a more "diner" vibe. Yeah, there's still a lot to do there.
    The flower idea was the best of the ones I came up with, I think. It's still a job for them, but it's a different business and opens up potential as a lead in to Spring Voyage, or whatever spring event they do in coming years. Also, it reminds me of "My Fair Lady" and I could see some really cute costume concepts coming out of that. I mean ShellieMay with a big, fancy hat with flowers on it? Yes, please!

Oh, and a Duffy music box? I WANT IT NOW!!! Seriously, that is a wonderful idea, and they have not yet released any figurines for Sweet Duffy like they have for Halloween and Christmas, so it's about time the do!

As for ship crew, that would be a third time return to the Heartful Sailor, which has already been made twice for each bear. I love the concept, so I'm not against it, but it would need to be really fresh. One idea is to do the negative, have red outfits with white accent. Also, perhaps "admiral" rather than "captain" and a cute "first mate" cap for Shellie. Hm... This could be good, too. I do like when they sail, although in my own world, Shellie prefers flying.
    I think the nautical theme is something that just is part of who Duffy is. It doesn't have to be Heartfull Sailor at all. They've done several nautical "sailor" costumes already and they're all different from each other. I wouldn't mind seeing something nautical, but new. Admiral Duffy sounds great too. Duffy was dressed as "Admiral Mickey" once in 2006 as one of the TDS 5th anniversary costumes, and then he got a captain's hat in that red peacoat set from 2009, but he could use an entirely new take on that. I also wouldn't mind if he and Shellie were part of a fishing boat, so that we could have an excuse to get new rain gear for both bears.

Since UniBEARsity has ripped so much from Duffy and since when I think of Valentine's and White Day I mostly think of students, I would like to see a school concept. Like "Duffy and ShellieMay's Heartful Charm School" or something. The curriculum would be so fun to create! I'd love to see OLC make high-quality school uniforms using the emblem from Heartful Sailor (and "nerd" glasses for both bears and humans!), and the entire line of inspired merchandise would be incredible. This would be my personal Duffy dream come true, and a potential best-ever concept, I think.^^

What a fun topic, Gurgi!
    Yay, bite back at UniBEARsity, since they've been biting on Duffy's style lately! I love the idea of Duffy and ShellieMay at school. I'm sure OLC's take on the school uniforms would totally trump the UB versions.

Something else I wouldn't mind seeing, and something you touched on when you said you see ShellieMay as more of a flying kind of gal. What if they did aviation sets for both of them? Sure, the latest CCC set for Duffy could be taken that way, but I'm thinking more like passenger plane. Like "Pan Am" or something like that. Stewardess Shellie and Captain Duffy? It may also not be quite period for Cape Cod though, and there is not really any "airport" referenced there.

Ok, a couple other ideas. This one might take away from poor Tippy Blue, but still...what if Duffy and Shellie were postbears? It's possible Tippy is overwhelmed by all the valentine cards being sent back and forth, and recruits the bears to help him deliver the mail. Cute little postman/woman outfits for them would be adorable.

The other one is Duffy and ShellieMay as milk man/maid. You know, the turn of the century white suit with black brimmed cap kind of look? They could deliver chocolate milk! I could see either one of them driving the truck while the other makes deliveries.

So many possibilities that don't have to repeat the cafe waiter with apron idea they've done several times now.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    They are little angels, after all. Well, except for Eeeeva's klepto bears, LOL!
    They have learned an important lesson, never to steal things from anyone smaller than them.

Sadly, they are very small.

I'd never thought of the Sweet Duffy theme as a "worker" theme...I like it!

1920s theme...I would DIE! I was just thinking of a (more casual) 1920s set for Tiny Duffy and Tiny Shellie May. That might seem a bit more Cape Cod-y...though honestly, what do sorcerer outfits have to do with Cape Cod? I guess it's different that this would be Sweet Duffy instead of a general release...

The 1920s era could be really fun to pair with the aviator idea to make a classic pilot set for both bears. (Though flight crew bears would be adorable.)

I love the school outfit idea! A lot of the outfits (especially for girls) are sailor-suit inspired so they could feasibly be the best of both worlds. The only downside I see is that it may be a little too "young" for them--most of the other outfits, Halloween aside, don't seem necessarily child/teen-themed to me.

I like the idea of a new type of sailor outfit as well. But it's funny...I totally envision Shellie May as a secondary character to Duffy, but I still don't like the idea of any official products where Duffy is clearly the captain/leader and Shellie May is clearly the first mate/sidekick. (Even though I was just thinking that I see my Tiny Shellie May as kind of being Tiny Duffy's sidekick. ) That's my equalist upbringing showing through.

But anyway, I think they could (and probably WOULD) both have very nautical/captain-y looking outfits and then everyone could interpret them as they please. Since Shellie May would probably have a skirt/dress and Duffy would have pants, their outfits would look sufficiently different. I can't think of any outfits for the pair where one of the bears was indisputably higher in rank than the other.

I actually do kind of like the Valentine's outfit for Minnie (not so sure about Mickey's!). Not sure it would look good on a bear though.

I don't like the idea of Duffy and Shellie May as sweethearts, but if they had outfits that matched outfits of Mickey and Minnie's, that's fair game. So in that regard I wouldn't mind seeing something more girly or Valentine's-looking for the bears during Sweet Duffy, if we could be certain it would ONLY be a secondary outfit to the main theme. But I do like the theme focused more on happiness and bringing love (and sweets!) versus if Duffy and Shellie May were focused on EACH OTHER. (Romance or not!)