• North American Duffeteer

Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

Day 20 is now up on the site.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• North American Duffeteer

Days 21 and 22 are now up on the Traveling Duffy site.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

Sorry about the delay. I've been very busy. I'll try and catch up in threes! I'm more motivated if this thread turns into a conversation about the locations we travel to, with tidbits of trivia and what-not. HINT!

It was starting to just be an update announcement list, and that's not what I hope for this thread. Here, I'll start!^^

Can anyone (other than Gurgi) identify the real-life New York building that McDuck's Department Store was almost definitely inspired by?

If nobody knows after a week, Gurgi, please tell us all about it!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, that was a fun little history detective thing wasn't it? It's funny that I have been to that building many times before, but only now that it's been restored did I recognize it for what it was.

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 09:48 AM ----------

About "Traveling Duffy". I like how they switch from stuffed bears to costumed characters whenever they have pictures from the shows. It's a neat transition, although, if I'm being honest, I sure wish the costumed characters looked exactly like the plush...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I sure wish the costumed characters looked exactly like the plush...
    I don't disagree with you. Those freaking ears - and I miss the old fur! And I wouldn't really mind if Duffy's fur was actually the same color as Duffy. It'll take some getting used to, but I really don't see why they don't do that... The fingers have grown to be a little tolerable, though I think Duffy still doesn't give autographs in Japan. Haven't tried, though.

You know that place would be a great place for a photo op when your bears go into the city for their picnic! I know, I know! I gotta ship soon! I'm getting your and my and one more CD tomorrow, and I'll finally have finished buying everything. All the staggered release dates this time were tricky, plus they still haven't actually released the SV pin, and I really want it!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Hmm...I could try that. The only problem is that it's hard to get a good shot of the building with all the details from street level. I'll try anyway.

I'm actually looking forward to that picnic, strangely enough. I haven't been to Central Park this year so it will be nice to sit on the grass, and I know Duffy and ShellieMay will enjoy it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I like how for Day 23 the photo and the caption really work together!

Also, Gurgi, I don't think anybody's playing along. You're a resident New Yorker; tell us some Big Apple trivia!^^

• I love that tiny bear!

The only one I could find is New York Architecture Images- Hugh O?Neill Dry Goods Store which doesn't look like a perfect match. So pretty, though! Daytonian in Manhattan: The Hugh O'Neill Dry Goods Building

Do tell, Gurgi! I love to ogle NYC buildings.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    The only one I could find is New York Architecture Images- Hugh O?Neill Dry Goods Store which doesn't look like a perfect match. So pretty, though! Daytonian in Manhattan: The Hugh O'Neill Dry Goods Building
    That's it! The domed columns and pediment, along with the O'Neill building's unique history are enough to convince me that this is the one.

Image from flickr, Steve Guttman

So, Eeee-va, tell us how you found it!

---------- Post added 05-06-2012 at 12:36 PM ----------

From "Hawaii & Running &..."

Thought it would be helpful to have a comparison shot. Also, I imagine there are details - the clock added to the pediment, the awnings on the windows, and the windows' shapes, etc - that have been added from other classic New York department stores like Bloomingdale's and Macy's. It would be interesting to check this out, but right now I'm gonna translate a bit.

I've often wondered if the upper floors of McDuck's are usable in any way. I guess not, but it sure would be cool (and help crowd control) if McDuck's could expand upwards. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I remember being inside, looking up, and realizing that the ceiling is impossibly high for there to actually be a second or third floor, and there are no stairs in sight. So, I guess I just answered my own question, but it's still a nice daydream. I McDuck's!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-05-2012 at 07:41 PM.

• Become part of MY world!

Oh wow! What a nice building! I've never been to New York but have always wanted to go! The history in the buildings and architecture are astronomical! But I do like TDS's version better!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

Hooray!

First I just looked up things like "New York City Buildings" and such and that was no good, of course. I also looked up specific department stores (it reminded me a BIT of Macy's--and having visited NYC for all of 3 days, I consider myself an absolute expert of everything there ). No luck. Yes, I even tried "McDuck's New York City," LOL.

As you hinted on, DuffyDaisuki, the domes are probably the most distinctive element that I didn't recall from any buildings in NYC. So I tried something along the lines of "New York City building dome". When I saw a building that was comparatively short, had once been a department store, and even had a name a little reminiscent of McDuck's (though I know Scottish and Irish are two different things), I started wondering.

I think the McDuck's building is prettier too, Urulalvr, but almost everything in New York City (well Manhattan anyway) is SO BIG. If you run a search for New York buildings, many, maybe even most, of the buildings that come up even in the periphery of shots are at least 10 stories tall (some considerably taller). Any 3 story buildings get totally lost in the skyscrapers.

Meanwhile, McDuck's has the luxury of being scaled at 3 stories (though if you look at the people in the photo, I'd guess the height is more like a 4-story building, and if someone said it was as tall as a 5-story building, I would believe it). But the small scale and size that I think better allow for the details like the canopies, whereas the O'Neill building is larger, more streamlined, and more cramped. A little less small-town. To me, anyway, McDuck's just has a more inviting and intimate feel. (As much as I adore every old building in New York.)

Is it possible there's storage in the top floor of McDuck's? It is substantially taller than the 3-story building behind it. Of course, storage wouldn't help crowd control. (The Build a Bear in Downtown Disney in CA is 2 stories, LOL.)

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yay, Eeee-va wins! I'm glad you figured it out. The thing about that building is that the domes were only recently returned. For a long time, they were gone, so it was hard to tell that it was a match. Right now, it got restored because it's got condos on the top floors. The street level is retail still, which it's been for a long time. It is a very big building.

You're right though, Eeee-va, NYC has tons of interesting architecture. You could walk around for days looking at it all. So many different style and periods. Although, I will say, the new stuff isn't that interesting.

• I love that tiny bear!

If it weren't for the domes being recently replaced, the Internet search would not have worked.

You're right though, Eeee-va, NYC has tons of interesting architecture. You could walk around for days looking at it all. So many different style and periods. Although, I will say, the new stuff isn't that interesting.
    Agreed. Out where I live, it's all new stuff, so I am positively enchanted by anything more than 60 years old or so.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

LOL "Cop a squat"!
    I thought it was fun.

Is the Traveling Duffy site finished? I've been waiting for an update the last couple of days to no avail. Have Duffy and Shellie May returned to Cape Cod already? I will miss their daily travel photos!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast