Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

This thread is for commenting on the Tokyo DisneySEA Spring Voyage "Traveling Duffy" story, which you can read as it unfolds HERE.

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

THANK YOU for the translations! Those photos are gorgeous. Of course, I guess all of us could get pretty good pictures if they cleared out what is arguably the prettiest amusement park in the whole world for us, granted....but even barring that, the photos are just outstanding.

What an exciting time to love Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    What an exciting time to love Duffy.
    No doubt.^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, this sub-site of theirs is great! I love the idea, and they took great pictures of the bears so far. I can't wait to see how this progresses through the entire event. I wonder if they allow for fan submissions later, or if this will be entirely in-house the whole time? It's very cute. And...DuffyD...you saw the suitcases sitting next to the bears right? They produced some, but we can't have them!

Oh my gosh, they updated the site again for the 27th! I think this is going to be an adorable idea in showing off the park to everybody so those there get pumped up into going and those of us who aren't get a chance like never before to see the park and Duffy and Shellie's home and a chance to experience the park within all of its wonder of Spring Voyage.

I really hope that since they started this that they will continue it until the last day, as I know for sure that I will be checking it out on a daily basis!

Thumbs up Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I wonder if they allow for fan submissions later, or if this will be entirely in-house the whole time?
    No fan submissions, ALL official.^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...DuffyD...you saw the suitcases sitting next to the bears right? They produced some, but we can't have them!
    Of course I noticed. I was a bit disappointed for half a second, but then I remembered that the Tote is a far more practical solution and I'm really glad that's what we've got!

Quote Originally Posted by bebs View Post
    Oh my gosh, they updated the site again for the 27th! I think this is going to be an adorable idea in showing off the park to everybody so those there get pumped up into going and those of us who aren't get a chance like never before to see the park and Duffy and Shellie's home and a chance to experience the park within all of its wonder of Spring Voyage.

I really hope that since they started this that they will continue it until the last day, as I know for sure that I will be checking it out on a daily basis!
    It really is remarkable. I think it may be my favorite event they've ever done, and I'm so excited that Duffy is right at the center of it!

• Adventures with Duffy

This is so cute. Im glad they are doing this.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Become part of MY world!

Oh wow, LOTs of updates this weekend! I LOVE that site! It's so cute and photos are what I've been hoping to achieve in my shots! They really make the bears feel like actual people going to a theme park!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^ This. Totally.

Until "Traveling Duffy," I really wondered if this would be a one-time event or not. The duffel bags and complexity of the Special Room necessity to complete the merchandise set suggested one-time-only to me. But the lack of stickers/patches/magnets something with all of the luggage decals really made me think that might come next year. Along with bigger shows, more costumes, and a storybook.

Now, though, I just don't see how they could top this mini-site, and with the 30th Anniversary of the Resort next year, I am starting to lean back to one-time-only. Honestly, I kind of hope for that.^^

Speaking of the 30th, I wonder if we'll be getting monthly costumes again for the 30th? If they re-issue the Custodial CM, I want it to come with accessories like a rolling waste bin and sound card to make the "Fun Custodial!"
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Lightbulb Re: Traveling Duffy - Commentary & Social^^

A note about Aunt Peg's sign on Day 03:

Wind blows through the little mill on the left and animates it. Peg's arm, the barrels and the cats move; so she "feeds" the one on top. It really is the cutest detail.^^ I wonder if it's inspired by Eastham Windmill, the oldest in Cape Cod?

Of course I can't prove it, but I also like to think of the Eastham Mill as the inspiration for the classic Disney short, The Old Mill:

This awesome vintage wooden pin also helps with my choice to believe that!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I love that they are focusing on little details. It's not just pictures of the bears, but it's a travelogue, telling us details about where they are in particular.

Something I was just thinking about too. One of the reasons I love what OLC did with Duffy is just how wholeheartedly they embraced what WDI designed in the first place. I'm sure when TDS was being designed, and they planned the Cape Cod section of American Waterfront, WDI had no idea it would eventually be home to a hugely popular set of teddy bears. That was probably the furthest thing from their minds. However, when OLC decided to develop Duffy into who he is, they took what WDI had done with Cape Cod and fit that onto Duffy and made it part of who he is. I don't think that's ever been done with any Disney character ever. Even Mickey's Toontown, that was designed around Mickey and friends (admittedly based on Roger Rabbit, but still). Cape Cod came first, Duffy came second, and he's intrinsically linked to that one area of the park. In everything OLC has done, they've referenced the work WDI put into the land. Even by incorporating the buildings into the artwork. Duffy belongs to Cape Cod, and Cape Cod belongs to Duffy. Even with Spring Voyage making Duffy a park-wide character for the moment, he's still linked to his "hometown". The "Duffy Travels" shows us that, by starting out there and pointing out details. The interesting thing is that since Duffy became such a phenomenon, WDI came back and incorporated him into their work, and created the "Village Greeting Spot". It came full circle. I just think it's one of the most interesting things about Duffy and his legacy. He didn't exist separately from the park at all, he is part of it, and it's part of him (and ShellieMay too).

---------- Post added 03-27-2012 at 04:22 PM ----------

Something to add. Even Fantasyland as an example. The princesses and characters who live there are kind of isolated their own attractions. They don't appear to "live" there, they just are there. The merchandise and artwork doesn't really represent them as part of Fantasyland as a whole the way Duffy does in Cape Cod. It's one thing to see a picture of Alice riding in one of the teacups, but it's not quite the same as having Duffy, ShellieMay, Mickey, Minnie, and all the other "toontown" residents, actually living and working in Cape Cod. I can't say there's ever been a "Fantasyland storybook" that incorporated the land as a place where the characters lived and worked.

• Become part of MY world!

^Haha I was gonna say I'm a little bummed that the latest pics are just of the scenery. But I hope there's more of the detail shots and not just wide shots of the area that I've seen like a million times. Can't wait for more.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Wow, Gurgi!

There will be nearly 100 photos in the course of our Voyage. Even if we've seen tons of photos of the park before, these shots are official, professional, and focused on telling a Duffy story. I think varying between wide shots and details helps keep the sense of the eye moving, of actually wandering through Tokyo DisneySEA, being immersed in the atmosphere and soaking in the details, with bear pictures thrown in to keep us in the story. For folks who haven't actually made the trip to TDS, Spring Voyage becomes a journey of the imagination to discover and explore the world's most gorgeous Disney park.

I really wanted to add this personal edit to Day 04, as I feel the actual caption isn't all that romantic, while the photograph is truly special - that picture can't be taken anymore:

Cape Cod has historically been home to a booming cod fishing industry, as its name suggests. Here, we see the old Grand Banks Cannery, which has recently been converted into the Cape Cod Village Greeting Place and commercially-leased warehouses. Current tenants are Minnie's Co-op Duffy Workshop and Cannery Clothing Co.^^

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Wow, so much fun! Domo arigato for the translations, DuffyDaisuki!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast