Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

Duffy at DL 1955 opening day?

OK, I know this sounds crazy (and it probably is) but I have to share this story with all you Duffy fans.

I was at DLR Downtown Disney World of Disney this weekend and I saw the smaller Happy Birthday Duffy in the plush area of the store.

I wanted to get it for my friend who is a big Duffy fan, but I wasn't sure if she might already have it or not.

There was am elderly female CM working the floor there, so I asked her if the Happy Birthday Duffy was new or if it had been out for a while. If it has been out for a while, there is a greater chance my friend already has one.

The CM told me it has been out for a while but she wasn't that sure. This was an acceptable response. But what followed was totally bizzare.

I made a friendly comment that maybe we should ask some of the Guests visiting from Japan because so many of them are Duffy experts since Duffy is so popular in Japan and originated at TDS. After I said that, the CM looked at me and told me "ohhh nooo", I was wrong. She said that Duffy was created for DL. Then I said that there was the original Disney Bear that was first released at WDW, but when TDS renamed and marketed him as Duffy, that is when Duffy was created.

At that point, the CM really had a look on her face like I had offended her. She go really serious and said, "Duffy was at opening day at DL in 1955, I know because I was there that day and bought a Duffy".

Needless to say at that point I realized that there was nothing to be gained any more by engaging in any conversation with this CM and I walked away a little bit annoyed and a little bit concerned for this CMs mental state.

So my question to you all is.... have ANY of you heard of any story about Duffy or any sort of Disney bear being sold on opening day at DL? Is there anything that in the slightest way might have given this CM a reason to believe that she had truely bought a Duffy on DL's opening day? Is there any possibility that this CM is correct?

And to those of you thinking it.... no, I haven't been taking any meds, alcohol or narcotics. And I am not trolling just to stir things up. This is an honest account of what happend Saturday night at the World of Disney and I would really like to know it if I am in the wrong for thinking this CM might be suffering from some mental condition.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Duffy at DL 1955 opening day?

I'm 100% certain that Duffy was not at Disneyland on opening day in 1955. Now, with the way imagineers have been inserting him into historical photos and stories over at Tokyo DisneySEA, it would be kind of fun to think that Duffy has been around for decades, and was, in fact, at Disneyland in 1955. Realistically though, no. I have no idea what this CM was talking about. How old did she appear? She said she was there on opening day and bought Duffy? She would have to be at least 60 or so to remember that detail.

I wonder if she was just one of those completely Disney absorbed CM's who are well-meaning, and they create these "stories" to give the guest some sense of "magic", but are just giving out misinformation. Maybe to her, the fact that Duffy was newly created wasn't enough...she had to add some mystery to him. Not a bad thing, really, just strange the way she did it.

She was definitely old enough to be there on opening day. I would guess early 60s.

There is absolutely no way she was trying to "create" some Disney magic with her story. Her attitude was like I had offended her and she was talking to me in an argumentative tone.

• I love that tiny bear!

I can't say it is impossible that some sort of teddy bear was sold at Disneyland opening day. I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe. Teddy bears at Disneyland would be a question the main Disneyland board might have be able to answer if no one here can.

But it certainly wasn't named Duffy and I'm sure it didn't look like the "Disney Bear" either. I don't know the history of Hidden Mickeys, but they certainly were not a major "thing" the day Disneyland opened, so, even ignoring the lack of historical evidence, it just doesn't make sense.

If she was actually early 60s that would put her at about 5-7 years old on opening day, so memories would not be so reliable...though it sounds like there's probably something else at play there.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, if she was argumentative and seemed offended, maybe she just felt like she was right. Maybe she did buy a teddy bear at Disneyland and her memories have convinced her that it was Duffy. There are some older Disney bears that do have a face that looks like Duffy's. It's hard to say, but I'm positive that she's incorrect, and Duffy was not at Disneyland on opening day.

This topic does make me wish I could use photoshop better, so that I could insert Duffy into pictures of July 17th, 1955...

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I can't say it is impossible that some sort of teddy bear was sold at Disneyland opening day. I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yeah, if she was argumentative and seemed offended, maybe she just felt like she was right. Maybe she did buy a teddy bear at Disneyland and her memories have convinced her that it was Duffy. There are some older Disney bears that do have a face that looks like Duffy's.
    I thought the same thing, but she was adamant that it was Duffy. When I brought up the original Disney Bear, she said "NO, I'm talking about Duffy".

Anyway, thanks for your responses. Good to hear others agree with me that there is no way this CM could have bought a Duffy on opening day.

I really hope that she doesn't continue to spread incorrect information to other Guests who wouldn't question the validity of her claim.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I saw a video once-upon-a-time on YouTube that showed a drawing of a Duffy-looking bear along with the Country Bears in Walt's office or something. I didn't bookmark it or anything cos it was such a stretch, but maybe she's talking about that...?

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I saw a video once-upon-a-time on YouTube that showed a drawing of a Duffy-looking bear along with the Country Bears in Walt's office or something. I didn't bookmark it or anything cos it was such a stretch, but maybe she's talking about that...?
    The video showed little ceramic figures of the Three Bears on a shelf in Walt's office as it was on the date of his death.

Walt died in 1966. A full 11 years after DL opened. Even though those three bears had a slight resemblance to Duffy, we can't know if the were sold at DL on opening day 11 years prior. And it they were indeed sold on opening day, it certainly doesn't justify the CM telling Guests today that Duffy was at opening day.

Nothing wrong with giving someone the benifit of the doubt. I guess it's just harder for me to do so because I was the one who she argued with in such a non-Disney like attitude. (>_<)

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Yeah, I agree that she shouldn't have insisted on something that is almost definitely untrue, and I've never heard of a CM talking to a guest like that ever. I was just hoping someone would remember the video in case you hadn't seen it, just to give you some kind of explanation. When weird negative things like that happen, I always wanna at least understand why.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Of course Duffy was there in 1955! Right next to Walt during the dedication. See?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Of course Duffy was there in 1955! Right next to Walt during the dedication. See?

Now if you could only photoshop in the CM that started this all, her story would be completely validated!

• Munchings & Crunchings

LOL, see? I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt inspired! We should totally start this meme going now. Roger, we'll soon have everyone believing what the lady told you, BWA-HA-HA!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm actually a bit concerned for this CM. She must be at least 60 years old and she became argumentative. Seems like mild symptoms of Alzheimer's. I am no doctor but my dad has been going through this and sometimes he will say things that don't make sense and when you question him he sometimes gets quite agitated. Im learning not to do this whenever he brings up something far-fetched. So don't take it too personally. Just say ok and let it go.

When my dad first started showing symptoms my parents went to see a neurologist who said that it is a good idea for all adults to be tested for Alzheimer's at the age of 50. There is treatment out there that can slow down the progression of the disease if caught early enough. So his recommendation is for everyone to get tested at age 50. Just throwing that out there so you all know.

• Munchings & Crunchings

That's an interesting point. It's not like it would cause her to not be able to do her job, but these little warning signs could be picked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast