Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Disney UniBEARsity update...not quite Duffy related, but...

So, it looks like the next wave of UniBEARsity bears are based on the Stitch! characters. Stitch, Angel, and Scrump. I'll admit to thinking these look cuter than the regular ones. Maybe it's just me, but each series seems cuter than the original ones. The best one in this batch is Scrump, in my opinion. I like that she's kind of ugly-cute, just like the doll in the movie. I could see my ShellieMay really wanting to have Scrump as her little sidekick.

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Disney UniBEARsity update...not quite Duffy related, but...

Scrump is really cute! The mouth stitches, while authentic, give her a bit of a zombie look to me...I'm not sure if that makes her cuter or detracts. LOL.

The others don't scream Stitch or Angel to me. They're fine, but they could just as well be ordinary bears as far as I'm concerned. Scrump is special, though!

• Become part of MY world!

haha when I first saw the picture I thought it was going for the Sally look from NBC! LOL I love it, but more for it's creepy factor, not so much cute.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

OMG I want Scrump Bear!!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Aw, their names are cute! I just translated the katakana and their names are (from left to right) "buruu" or "blue", "pai" or "pie", and "berii" or "berry". So, if you put them in order, you would have blueberry pie! I think that's really cute. So, the "Stitch" bear is "Blue", "Scrump" is "Pie", and "Angel" is "Berry".

---------- Post added 05-01-2012 at 03:36 PM ----------

I think I really want "Pie"!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Mmmmm... PIE!

• Adventures with Duffy

They are cute and so are their names. Thanks for sharing.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Tokyo Disney is life!

Truth be told, I didn't even know they were based on Stitch until I saw this thread! I even spotted the little Stitch picture on the left, but just assumed it was random promotion. The Stitch bear only has his back marking on the tie. Okay, that's kind of cool. But Angel? I only see an eyelash connection. There's a big pink bow but Angel never wore one. (Duffy's Shelly actually comes to mind) She'll probably have the upside down heart on her back but they could've been more creative. Maybe have the bow upside down? The Scrump one is easily the best out of the trio.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post

I think I really want "Pie"!
    Too Funny!

It'll take me a bit of getting use to seeing these 'characters' as Teddy Bears! 'cause they're NOT!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, the UniBEARsity concept is interesting. The bears are not really supposed to be the characters, but they just have some feature of the character they are attached to. Each bear is technically it's own personality, separate from the Disney characters. Still, they are all based on them, so it's easy to think they are supposed to be them. I mean, "Blue" the "Stitch" bear even has a chunk missing from his ear, just like Stitch.

It's...kind of like Duffy, I guess...but not quite. Where Minnie put the Mickey marks on him. Duffy only has those to tie his look to Mickey Mouse. The UniBEARsity bears have, well, items of clothing to tie them in, and sometimes (like the notched ear) a physical trait.

Still, I think "Pie" is the best example, even though she really is derivative of Scrump.

• Adventures with Duffy

How are guest likeing this line? I am assuming they do like it, because they keep expanding it. If I lived in Japan, I could spend so much money on things like this, I need another house just to store it all. Im a sucker for cute things like this.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Tokyo Disney is life!

I mean, "Blue" the "Stitch" bear even has a chunk missing from his ear, just like Stitch.
    Ah, didn't notice that! Now that's cool!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Disney UniBEARsity update...not quite Duffy related, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Danimated View Post
    ...but they could've been more creative...
    While I agree that "Pie" is the best of the bunch, I have to admit that the quote above sums up how I feel about UniBEARsity in general. I really expected more from it, but with every release it's become clearer and clearer that it's just about teddy bear versions of popular characters, at least in terms of design. And those variations are really just different colorways, kinda like the old spectrum of Disney Bears. It's fundamentally not to my taste, so I can't say whether it's a good line or not. I was never gonna like the concept if this is what it's about, but that doesn't mean it's a bad concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrita View Post
    ...It'll take me a bit of getting use to seeing these 'characters' as Teddy Bears! 'cause they're NOT!
    I feel ya! It wouldn't bother me so much, except that somehow I feel it diminishes Duffy...

Yeah, the UniBEARsity concept is interesting. The bears are not really supposed to be the characters, but they just have some feature of the character they are attached to. Each bear is technically it's own personality, separate from the Disney characters. Still, they are all based on them, so it's easy to think they are supposed to be them. I mean, "Blue" the "Stitch" bear even has a chunk missing from his ear, just like Stitch.
    The ear is a nice detail that I didn't notice until you pointed it out. As usual, your clarification about the character backgrounds is spot-on and helpful, but still just doesn't make me care about these UniBEARs. I think the design is both generic and uncute, and I find all the colorways kinda lazy. Their clothes are AWESOME, though! They recently released a Donald and Daisy set that is just fantastic! And I the design somehow when it's graphic/hard plastic/metal...just not the actual plush. I think I don't like the head/body ratio, and the eye position. Yet somehow, graphically, I find it all cute. But because I don't love the plush itself, I don't buy any of the other goods.

It's...kind of like Duffy, I guess...but not quite. Where Minnie put the Mickey marks on him. Duffy only has those to tie his look to Mickey Mouse. The UniBEARsity bears have, well, items of clothing to tie them in, and sometimes (like the notched ear) a physical trait.

Still, I think "Pie" is the best example, even though she really is derivative of Scrump.
    Not quite is right. UniBEARsity has way less heart than Duffy and honestly reminds me of the cash-in kaching of the original Disney Bear concept, though there is clearly a TON more effort being put into making the UniBEARsity brand work. Someone somewhere is a true believer, I think. But Duffy's Mickey marks, because they are iconic and emblematic of the Disney brand and because they are the frame of his face, have a far more powerful and equally more subtle impact. It is a fact that I no longer see "Hidden Mickeys" in the park or on goods, but rather "Hidden Duffy Faces." As Duffy is so prone to do, he transcends the original inspiration and intent, making it something new and all his own...at least in my world!

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    How are guest likeing this line? I am assuming they do like it, because they keep expanding it. If I lived in Japan, I could spend so much money on things like this, I need another house just to store it all. Im a sucker for cute things like this.
    I think they're marketing the crap out of it like Duffy's US release, but I feel like all of the UniBEARsity items inevitably make it to the 50% off rack in the Disney Store before they sell out, except for the Lolita and Girls' Uniform, both of which mysteriously "sold out" right before a pre-announced 2-for-1 sale last year and never got restocked. That was the opportunity to "train" consumers about rarity, which is the primary value maker in the Japanese collectibles market, ridiculous levels of quality and detail being an expected prerequisite.^^

To me, it seems that somebody must be buying them, but I see Duffy and ShellieMay every day, at least probably 20 times a day (when I don't go to the parks) with varying types of merchandise, all ages and both genders. That absolutely does NOT happen with UniBEARsity. I'm not sure, actually, that I've ever seen someone with UniBEARsity merchandise outside of a Disney Store. They really are pushing it, but that just turns me off anymore. Still, the same lowest common denominator Disney addict that the "Duffy haters" in the US think are the audience for Duffy are probably on board with UniBEARsity or will be soon enough with the oppressively heavy marketing, and there must be a core group of bonafide UniBEARsity fans who truly love this concept. I imagine they're all female and younger than 30, though. The marketing gets more and more "for kids" and the products get more and more "for girls." I don't know actual figures, but that's my take on all that.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    While I agree that "Pie" is the best of the bunch, I have to admit that the quote above sums up how I feel about UniBEARsity in general. I really expected more from it, but with every release it's become clearer and clearer that it's just about teddy bear versions of popular characters, at least in terms of design. And those variations are really just different colorways, kinda like the old spectrum of Disney Bears. It's fundamentally not to my taste, so I can't say whether it's a good line or not. I was never gonna like the concept if this is what it's about, but that doesn't mean it's a bad concept.
    Yup, I agree with you. I do think they're derivative and not really all that cute. Not my taste. The only one I really like so far is "Pie", and it's because she has more character, and the head/body ratio is better, only because she's designed differently. The big giant head of the other ones is kind of ugly, but that's just my opinion. I'll admit to liking the blue and pink colors of the new bears, but the fundamental design that I don't like is keeping me from wanting them.

I feel ya! It wouldn't bother me so much, except that somehow I feel it diminishes Duffy...
    I agree, and it's a tactic that the Disney Store in the US would use to "steal" the thunder from any other popular product. Japan also did it with Disney Consumer Products and their "Cuddly Bear". I'm sure both arms of the company saw what OLC did with Duffy and wanted in on some of that action. However, only Duffy has truly succeeded. Didn't they "kill off" Cuddly Bear? I'm glad that it hasn't really affected Duffy's success though, as I do feel they are all "me too" ideas that are trying to muscle in on his territory, but not able to break through.

The ear is a nice detail that I didn't notice until you pointed it out. As usual, your clarification about the character backgrounds is spot-on and helpful, but still just doesn't make me care about these UniBEARs. I think the design is both generic and uncute, and I find all the colorways kinda lazy. Their clothes are AWESOME, though! They recently released a Donald and Daisy set that is just fantastic! And I the design somehow when it's graphic/hard plastic/metal...just not the actual plush. I think I don't like the head/body ratio, and the eye position. Yet somehow, graphically, I find it all cute. But because I don't love the plush itself, I don't buy any of the other goods.
    Ok, I do admit that their clothes are cute. I only wish that they truly fit Duffy and ShellieMay. Because they are a bit too small, it keeps me from buying them. I guess that saves me money though. Still, somebody is putting effort into the costumes. I never saw the Donald and Daisy costumes, do you know where I can find pictures of them? I checked the site, and they just have the basic stuff right now.

Not quite is right. UniBEARsity has way less heart than Duffy and honestly reminds me of the cash-in kaching of the original Disney Bear concept, though there is clearly a TON more effort being put into making the UniBEARsity brand work. Someone somewhere is a true believer, I think. But Duffy's Mickey marks, because they are iconic and emblematic of the Disney brand and because they are the frame of his face, have a far more powerful and equally more subtle impact. It is a fact that I no longer see "Hidden Mickeys" in the park or on goods, but rather "Hidden Duffy Faces." As Duffy is so prone to do, he transcends the original inspiration and intent, making it something new and all his own...at least in my world!
    UniBEARsity does seem to lack that certain something. It's like a half-hearted effort. The origin story for the bears coming to life doesn't make much sense. It's an odd concept, and one that could have been so much better. I remember when they first announced it and your imagination was buzzing with the ideas of what it might be. Then, when you found out the actual story and characters, it was a real letdown. The only fun aspect was the use of Ludwig Von Drake, LOL!

I think they're marketing the crap out of it like Duffy's US release, but I feel like all of the UniBEARsity items inevitably make it to the 50% off rack in the Disney Store before they sell out, except for the Lolita and Girls' Uniform, both of which mysteriously "sold out" right before a pre-announced 2-for-1 sale last year and never got restocked. That was the opportunity to "train" consumers about rarity, which is the primary value maker in the Japanese collectibles market, ridiculous levels of quality and detail being an expected prerequisite.^^
    Sounds like typical Disney store. I do agree that the way it seems, they really are pushing it to girls, and especially teen/tween girls. All the pictures with humans are pictures with school girls. At least Duffy has a "little boy" sense, and he's easily marketable to boys.

To me, it seems that somebody must be buying them, but I see Duffy and ShellieMay every day, at least probably 20 times a day (when I don't go to the parks) with varying types of merchandise, all ages and both genders. That absolutely does NOT happen with UniBEARsity. I'm not sure, actually, that I've ever seen someone with UniBEARsity merchandise outside of a Disney Store. They really are pushing it, but that just turns me off anymore. Still, the same lowest common denominator Disney addict that the "Duffy haters" in the US think are the audience for Duffy are probably on board with UniBEARsity or will be soon enough with the oppressively heavy marketing, and there must be a core group of bonafide UniBEARsity fans who truly love this concept. I imagine they're all female and younger than 30, though. The marketing gets more and more "for kids" and the products get more and more "for girls." I don't know actual figures, but that's my take on all that.
    I have to admit, I've never ever seen any pictures of people at the parks or anywhere else with any of the UniBEARsity bears. Not even sitting along with Duffy. It's...interesting. Especially with a big Disney Store in Ikspiari. I wonder what people who collect Duffy think of them? Do they mix at all? Are there diehard UniBEARsity fans, or sites? It seems like it might be along the same lines as some of the plush in the US. People buy them because they are cute, but ultimately they are disposable. Not collectibles, and not something to obsess over. Just something cute that you buy once to play with, or to display, but not think about again. I'm sure many people do that with Duffy in the US. Maybe it's the same with UniBEARsity?

• Tokyo Disney is life!

I never saw the Donald and Daisy costumes, do you know where I can find pictures of them? I checked the site, and they just have the basic stuff right now.
    Here you go:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast