Question Question about U.S. vs. Japan Duffy Stuffing - PU foam and EVA foam

We recently returned from WDW with a new Duffy in tow for my son's girlfriend, and I noticed on the tag that they are stuffed with different types of foam now (this seemed to be the case for pretty much all of the plush at WDW). I was curious if anyone can tell me if the Duffy bears offered for sale in Japan are stuffed with the PU and EVA foams too, or if they have the polyester fill that most stuffed toys have?

Thanks!

• Felice Natale!

Re: Question about U.S. vs. Japan Duffy Stuffing - PU foam and EVA foam

They're stuffed with fill, at least the ones I've opened in the past have been. What's the difference like, in terms of shape or feeling? Could you post photos? That would really help!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

I wonder if that explains why the US Duffy's feel overstuffed? The foam might be more rigid and not as squishy? I didn't open up the one I felt, but it did feel different when you squeezed it. I wonder what the foam actually looks like?

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I wonder if that explains why the US Duffy's feel overstuffed? The foam might be more rigid and not as squishy? I didn't open up the one I felt, but it did feel different when you squeezed it. I wonder what the foam actually looks like?
    That sounds reasonable. I believe EVA foam is like the foam you get in wrestling mats and stuff (though if you do a Google image search it looks more like it's used in those puzzle piece play mats). I think they take a block of it and shred it. Unless a bear was stuffed VERY tightly with fiberfill, I think the EVA foam would always make for a firmer bear.

You'd think it would weigh more, so I have a hard time picturing how it would be cheaper overall, including shipping costs. Though if it's in ALL the Disney plushies, maybe it's done by design.

EVA foam might keep its shape better...my small Shellie May's face was a little squished upon arrival! (Not permanent and very easily fixed.)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    They're stuffed with fill, at least the ones I've opened in the past have been. What's the difference like, in terms of shape or feeling? Could you post photos? That would really help!^^
    Sure! Here he is:

He's the smaller size, and she found him at the outlet. They were on special, 3 for $30. They were all obviously previously dressed with the outfits cut off, because a lot of the threads used to attach the outfits were still in the bears. He's very plump, and I think his face is especially cute, but I feel that using chemical foam is not so great. I'd love to get one of the cute Spring Voyage Duffy bears if they have "normal" stuffing in them.

• Munchings & Crunchings

That little guy is cute. And, you're lucky, he's not one of the newer-style ones with the shorter "waffle fur" and the super plump bodies. I would almost be tempted to get one and open a seam to see what the stuffing looked like.

I wonder why the switch to the foam? Personally, I can't see how it would even be remotely plushy. Those puzzle pieces, even if shredded are a little harder than average foam. The PU foam is more like the upholstery foam, right? Or is it more like the syrofoam "bean bag chair" kind of pellet stuffing? That stuff is the worst ever...especially if a pet or child gets it open and the pieces stick to EVERYTHING!!

I believe the ones sold at TDS are the poly fiber-fill stuffing.

If you're going to get a Spring Voyage smiling Duffy (or ShellieMay) I highly recommend them! I just got the two of them and they are so adorable. They have beans in their bottoms to keep them seated, and add a little weight. Also, the smiles are just the cutest thing. And, the fur is the same length as the larger bears, so they appear more fuzzy. You just want to pick them up and hug them!

---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh, and every time I see the title of this thread I keep seeing "Eeee-va foam"...(sorry, Eeee-va, I can't help it, )

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    That little guy is cute. And, you're lucky, he's not one of the newer-style ones with the shorter "waffle fur" and the super plump bodies. I would almost be tempted to get one and open a seam to see what the stuffing looked like.

I wonder why the switch to the foam? Personally, I can't see how it would even be remotely plushy. Those puzzle pieces, even if shredded are a little harder than average foam. The PU foam is more like the upholstery foam, right? Or is it more like the syrofoam "bean bag chair" kind of pellet stuffing? That stuff is the worst ever...especially if a pet or child gets it open and the pieces stick to EVERYTHING!!

I believe the ones sold at TDS are the poly fiber-fill stuffing.

If you're going to get a Spring Voyage smiling Duffy (or ShellieMay) I highly recommend them! I just got the two of them and they are so adorable. They have beans in their bottoms to keep them seated, and add a little weight. Also, the smiles are just the cutest thing. And, the fur is the same length as the larger bears, so they appear more fuzzy. You just want to pick them up and hug them!
    I think he's awfully cute, too. I was toying with the idea of taking him to our local Doll Hospital -- they do repairs and refurbishments on dolls and plush -- and asking them to restuff him with polyfill and the little sytrofoam beads instead of the foams. They can do it, and they promised they'd encase the little beads in something to keep them from spilling out should he rip. I'm just a little hesitant, as I'm worried once a seam has been opened, it might be weakened and re-open again later after lots of hugging.

Also, I am very glad to hear that the Spring Voyage bears are so nice! May I ask a you a question, though? I was browsing on eBay and a seller mentioned that the outfits are not removable. I'm hoping that means they just have the little stitches that the US 12" bears have that can be cut and aren't actually sewn into the seams of the bear. Can you tell me if the outfit could be cut off without damaging it or Duffy?

• Munchings & Crunchings

The costumes on the Spring Voyage bears can be clipped off, like the US 12" bears, just carefully. They are not sewn into the seams like a lot of plush do. These are just attached with threads. You could put the clothes back on them too, but you'd have to find a way to clip the bow to Shellie's head, and a way to make the straw had stay on Duffy. I would love to find the brown and pink elastics that they use to create extra clothing options.

Ah, good! That's what I was hoping to hear! Thank you! I've found one on eBay that is particularly cute, but need to wait a few days for the auction to end.

• I love that tiny bear!

Your Duffy IS very cute! I don't think cutting a seam and restitching would significantly weaken a bear, provided it was re-sewn together properly. The bear was stitched together originally, after all, and bear hospitals know all about proper restoration techniques. I'm sure the beans would be encased just so that they wouldn't drift to various parts of the body anyway (otherwise you'd soon have beans in the feet, which is not helpful!). Anyway, that sounds like a great fix!

My 2011 12" Duffy (one of the very first 12" bears that came out in 2010 or maybe early 2011...and they made so many they were selling them into April 2012 at a 66% discount) has "polyester fibers." He's more tightly stuffed than Smiling Shellie May.

EVA foam did come up in a search as stuff used in beanbags as well, though that doesn't sound right to me for plushies. I would think that the wrestling mat stuff, at least (which DOES have some give) can be shredded pretty finely (if they wanted) to have some squishability. I'd go so far as to say it might be an acceptable material for stuffing heads, to ensure they keep their shape through tons of hugs. (After all, most creatures have pretty rigid heads.) But I do not like that material for stuffing bear bodies.

Eeee-va foam is probably more like the stuff in fire extinguishers, I think. Wait; maybe that's WALL-E foam.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by amykmi View Post
    Sure! Here he is:

OMG he is ADORABLE! That is one of the best faces I've seen on any size Duffy! Wow! Nice find!

• Minion

^^I must agree, that is a REALLY nice face, especially for a 12" Duffy. Lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Your Duffy IS very cute! I don't think cutting a seam and restitching would significantly weaken a bear, provided it was re-sewn together properly. The bear was stitched together originally, after all, and bear hospitals know all about proper restoration techniques. I'm sure the beans would be encased just so that they wouldn't drift to various parts of the body anyway (otherwise you'd soon have beans in the feet, which is not helpful!). Anyway, that sounds like a great fix!

My 2011 12" Duffy (one of the very first 12" bears that came out in 2010 or maybe early 2011...and they made so many they were selling them into April 2012 at a 66% discount) has "polyester fibers." He's more tightly stuffed than Smiling Shellie May.

EVA foam did come up in a search as stuff used in beanbags as well, though that doesn't sound right to me for plushies. I would think that the wrestling mat stuff, at least (which DOES have some give) can be shredded pretty finely (if they wanted) to have some squishability. I'd go so far as to say it might be an acceptable material for stuffing heads, to ensure they keep their shape through tons of hugs. (After all, most creatures have pretty rigid heads.) But I do not like that material for stuffing bear bodies.

Eeee-va foam is probably more like the stuff in fire extinguishers, I think. Wait; maybe that's WALL-E foam.
    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    OMG he is ADORABLE! That is one of the best faces I've seen on any size Duffy! Wow! Nice find!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl\
    ^^I must agree, that is a REALLY nice face, especially for a 12" Duffy. Lucky you!
    Thank you! He seems to be becoming mine as ds' gf is very fond of the giant Duffy that I bought spontaneously a couple of years ago and has now taken up residence in ds' room. Big Duffy is perched in a comfy armchair wearing a Viking helmet from Norway in Epcot ... it's quite the look!

I feel like we "rescued" this little guy from the outlet and now feel sort of responsible for him, LOL. I think maybe this weekend I'll take him by the Doll Hospital for an estimate on the re-stuff. We're truly lucky to have that place nearby ... they saved more than one of my prized dolls when I loved them too much 30-some years ago, and it looks like they might be helping me out again!