Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Event news!!!!

Re: Event news!!!!

I am excited with the prospects that these new costumes bring as far as accessories and outfit ideas. I am hopefully that the Halloween outfit will not be a Pumpkin.

Weird how I mentioned about the outfits yesterday and today we got a nice little preview

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

I'm bouncing up and down about this news, I really dislike the fathers day shirt of Duffy's I think that they could do better, maybe next year they will do something better, one can only hope. However I love the Mad Hatter costume! I will get that in a heart-beat I love it... sadly the peter pan costume is to close to the build a bear costume (only difference is that he has a bag of pixie dust) well that I can see, so I will pass on that. I really really hope that Duffy gets a new outfit with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, I can picture him in a new's boy outfit sitting on the street trying to sell his papers.

• MiceAge Columnist

I think it's great Disney is finally making new costumes for Duffy, but is this the best they can do? Really? I hate the Father's Day shirt. It's cheap-looking and it's terribly tacky. My Duffy would never, ever, wear that thing. And it's a shirt for what, one day in the year, maybe two. Why would you buy that ... unless you're giving Dad a Duffy for Father's Day. Build A Bear already offers a very nice Peter Pan outfit (and it's probably at a better price too). Does Disney not pay attention? The Mad Hatter outfit is a good idea, but for some reason I'm a little disappointed in the way it looks. I guess maybe it's because I've seen some photos of handmade Hatter outfits for Duffy that far surpass the Disney version. Oh well, like I said, at least they're doing something. Too bad they aren't giving Duffy a Route 66/Cars Land costume (Build A Bear has a new Cars costume btw) — or even better, like bebs said, a Buena Vista Street newsboy costume — complete with newsboy cap and a little newsboy bag with Duffy newspapers. How great would that be? I can think of lots of stuff Disney could have done and it would have rocked!

I betcha if Tokyo Disney Sea was opening a new land, there would be a ton of new-land Duffy goodies to buy and they'd be fantastic!

A Buena Vista Street Newsie would be perfect outfit! Plus, make a really great picture at California Adventure.

Will anybody be going to the Carsland opening on the 15 or the Vinylmation signing on the 29?

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Munchings & Crunchings

Sue, I was thinking the exact same thing about the fan-made Mad Hatter costumes. When I saw the Disney version, my mind went to all of the wonderful and detailed ones I've seen Japanese fans create.

I'm glad Disney is making new things, I just wish, as a whole, they would get out of this cheap mindset. I understand that they have to work within budgets, but the company as a whole seems to be about the bottom line only, and they skimp on details. They also cost cut so much, it undermines their products.

Yeah, I imagine that the products that OLC has produced for the Japanese parks cost more than anything that the US does, but I wonder if their profits are higher because people buy for quality? I have no real figures, but I'm guessing that the money OLC spends may be higher, but their profits are probably as well. Disney, on the other hand, wants to do things as cheaply as possible and they want the highest profits possible.

• I love that tiny bear!

I had totally planned to make Tiny Duffy a 1920s-type costume even before I read this thread. I'd imagined a newsboy hat, but not necessarily a newsie per say...I think I know what he is going to be now!

Regarding the quality, I did some calculations a few months back, I think it was. IF you ignore the 3 for $30 and other sales, the $20-$22 US costumes (that mostly tend to come with a top and a hat) are about the price of 2 pieces of a TDS costume (which also come with shoes, accessories, etc.). Now, there are economics of scale, which TDS may have over DL, given Duffy's popularity in Japan, though when you're making thousands upon thousands of outfits, I'm not certain it's much or any cheaper to make more at that point.

Anyway, IF Disney would keep Duffy's outfits at full price, they could probably do fine making quality costumes. And once word got out to the marketplace, he'd probably become very popular. (Almost every time I bring 12" or even Tiny Duffy somewhere for a few hours, someone stops me to say what a cute face that bear has.)

Of course, Disney has raised their price on Duffy himself (though he had been at a substantial discount to the TDS one and is still cheaper)...yet lowered the quality with poorer-quality fur, reportedly lesser manufacturing, etc. So it's clear where Disney's priorities are...which is just foolish because judging by how many strangers have admired my Duffies, there are a LOT of bear fans that would have interest in a well-manufactured bear.

But Disney likes to ignore the adult market in favor of making "children's" toys...even if that's their strategy, I think they're forgetting that parents buy the toys. Plenty of moms and dads buy toys that are well-made and detailed, "for the kid," either because they want their child to have the best, or because they think it's so cool they want it in their own home and use the child as an excuse.

I agree with those that posted above me, yes there are fan made costumes that are ten thousand types better and I can on wish and hope Disney company can do that some day. However with the way that the Disney team has marketed him and having all of these promotions on costumes they have deemed him at the moment of staying at the level that he is it and not to raise within the ranks, it is sad, but it is truth at least here where I live. Yes Duffy is super big in Japan, but he is not that big of a power house here in the US (yet, wishing and hoping), because the Japan marketing team has made him into what he is today, they gave him a story, they gave him a voice and they made him into who we love. If the US teams took the hint maybe they could change things, however they would have to do a complete over haul and they at this point do not have the budge to do this maybe some day.

at this point we mostly say we wont buy costumes from disney until the quality gets better but.. catch 22 the quality wont get better until the profits are there.

As for the fan made costumes, I only wish I had talent like that I can only ***** my finger with the needle and that is about as far as I get when I try. So alas I will need to stick to pre-made costumes or buy fan made costumes for my self... my poor fluffs.

Honestly, I'd rather Disney just stop this circus they're doing with Duffy and just leave him exclusively for TDS. Yea, Disney is improving....somewhat, if you can call it that, but it will NEVER be as good as OLC does. They just keep trying and failing and it's really just embarrassing to the character. And like some people have sad, they don't take Duffy seriously. They see him as a marketing ploy by Disney, which he is, in the states. So I'd rather just get exclusive hight quality merchandise from TDS than ever get anything from the US parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12