Learning about Duffy

I've recently found your forum and I've learned so much about Duffy. I love all the pics that you all post with your Duffy's and their adventures. My children are learning about Duffy and how much fun he can be. So I'm asking as a new user, can you look at my photo and tell me if this is a Duffy or a Pre Duffy. We found him at a Goodwill but want to make sure he is a Duffy. If he is not we may choose to sell him and acquire a real Duffy. It's such a learning curve for us but we love how cute all the Duffy's are. Thank you all for the sweet pics and all the info you've shared here about how Duffy began!

Take care.
    (trying to upload pic)
    (having to worst time uploading. took pic with phone. shouldn't be that large of a file
    Last edited by Bigbird; 08-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Learning about Duffy

You need to upload your photos to a photo hosting site like Photobucket (it's free), then post the link to the photo in your post here.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    You need to upload your photos to a photo hosting site like Photobucket (it's free), then post the link to the photo in your post here.

Thanks so much aimster.

Is this right?

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...rich/duffy.jpg
    http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...rdrich/010.jpg
    http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...rdrich/014.jpg

That is a pre-Duffy. It's so cute the Duffy's now you can get them at the online Disney store if you'd like.

Yeah that's an original Disney Bear! He's a cute one! I like the dark brown!

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Welcome, Bigbird!! Your bear is adorable. DCfan92 and aimster are right: you have a pre-Duffy Disney Bear. He looks like one of the 12" High School Musical Disney Bears, but he seems to be missing his shirt. Of course, a missing shirt is not a problem because it gives you an excuse to buy him some outfits.

If you and your children would like to adopt a current Duffy into your home, you could still keep your current Disney bear and purchase Duffy via several means. You could buy Duffy from Disney’s online store or from the parks if you’re planning a trip soon. The primary problems with the former option are potentially winding up with one of the deformed Duffies and consequently experiencing a merry-go-round of exchanges with Disney before acquiring a nice/decent Duffy. Another solution is to peruse eBay and see if you can find a slightly older Duffy, but this option too comes with the its inherent problems. If you don’t have a preference between a US Duffy or an international one, then you could join the next shopping trip (the deadline is the 24th of this month) and have DuffyDaisuki buy you a Duffy (and ShellieMay if you’d like) from Tokyo DisneySea. With this option you know you’ll be getting a bear chosen with love. I've only had my ShellieMay for a short time, but I admire her everyday.

• Just another Disney fan..

I agree...he is a KEEPER! Don't sell him unless you really need the money.

Yeah whatever you do, do NOT sell him unless you're that hard up for money.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Learning about Duffy

I'm with Roger and Aimster. Although I personally didn't like that design for Duffy, it's sure to be collectible. There are already signs that Duffy is on the decline in Paris, and with all the blowout sales, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duffy retired again outside of Tokyo. It's a sure way for the Company to create value. I'd hold on at least another two years and see what happens.

I'd also keep the dark brown "Disney Bear" in plastic and as close to new condition as possible, and get a "real" Duffy to play with.^^

Thanks for all the great input. He's only about 14 to 15 inches tall. So he is NOT Pre-Duffy, he is a Disney Bear? Thanks for being patient with my questions. I really do appreciate it.

• Munchings & Crunchings

He's sort of an "in-between" bear. He's not one of the original Disney Bear designs, but he is from before the "Duffy" name came out...at least in the US. That design of the Disney Bear was released after the first version (that looked more like the current Duffy) was already off the market. They "re-introduced" a smaller, different Disney Bear...that's the one you have. Eventually, that design gave way to the current Duffy.

• Just another Disney fan..

If it is the bear I think it is, it was released after the original Disney.Bear as stated above. By this time Duffy was already very popular at TDR.

So he is pre-Duffy in the USA, but not pre-Duffy in TDR. And that does make him a Disney Bear.