Thread: Rit Dye Duffy?

Rit Dye Duffy?

Hi,

My daughter and I have a 'Duffy' family going which includes two 12 inch bears. I'm thinking of turning one into a 'girl' and wanted to know if anyone has had any success using Rit Dye on them?

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Rit Dye Duffy?

Apparently at least someone has dyed a Duffy; here is a thread about a dyed Duffy on eBay. The picture is gone but you can tell from the reactions that it did not look very nice....

I imagine it would be a fair amount of work (removing stuffing), but doable. I think a subtle color might look nice. I don't know if there might be problems with the dye rubbing off onto clothes.

Personally, I really like the regular brown color. If I wanted a "girl" Duffy, I think I'd just put her in girl clothes and call her a girl. My second option would be to embroider eyelashes on. Diznygrl glued on some adorable eyelashes onto a 12" Duffy to make a "Duffette." (Her other bear is an earlier, yet amazing, Disney Bear, so that's why he looks so markedly different from Duffette.)

Share your Duffy Photos

I'm not sure if the eyelashes are meant to hold up to play, though.

Thanks for that link. I read through it all and saw the original picture, I was afraid that the face would take the dye better than the fur.
    I've customized another stuffed animal for her using a cosplay sharpie method. And it worked really well, but I thought rit might possibly be a easier solution. Looks like nope

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Apparently at least someone has dyed a Duffy; here is a thread about a dyed Duffy on eBay. The picture is gone but you can tell from the reactions that it did not look very nice....

I imagine it would be a fair amount of work (removing stuffing), but doable. I think a subtle color might look nice. I don't know if there might be problems with the dye rubbing off onto clothes.

Personally, I really like the regular brown color. If I wanted a "girl" Duffy, I think I'd just put her in girl clothes and call her a girl. My second option would be to embroider eyelashes on. Diznygrl glued on some adorable eyelashes onto a 12" Duffy to make a "Duffette." (Her other bear is an earlier, yet amazing, Disney Bear, so that's why he looks so markedly different from Duffette.)

Share your Duffy Photos

I'm not sure if the eyelashes are meant to hold up to play, though.
    Heh, no the eyelashes aren't meant for play, unfortunately. I did 'update' them by using Mod Podge instead of glue, which did vastly improve their strength, but I still doubt they would hold up to any rambunctiousness that comes along with child's play. I really would have embroidered them on, but I seriously lack the skills and I know they would end up looking like messy black blobs instead of eyelashes.

Anyway, I've never dyed a teddy bear but I'm not sure I would risk it...in my experience, the only things that Rit dye works well on are all white, 100% cotton garments. With the brown color of Duffy's fur, the color might end up a muddied version of the color you want, or it might have trouble taking the dye and will rub off. Your best bet is to just dress the bear in girl clothes and call it a day. If you're good at embroidering, you can do what Eeee-va suggested and try embroidering some lashes.