Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Duffy Halloween 2012 Merchandise!

I was so excited to see the thread but that quickly waned when I saw the actual costumes.... Idk, they look great and cute and all, but not my taste at all. They just look so, idk, strange to me. I guess it's what DuffyDaisuki said, they're very Japanese. I usually like that, but idk not these. Last year's was definitely the best! So versatile and much more mature looking. These look more kiddie like. I like my bears dressing more sophisticated and "grown up".

LOL I am in the minority once again because I love these costumes! Seems like I often have opposite tastes than many other Duffeteers in this forum.

Maybe I like these more because I am quite into costuming (more historical/ethnic rather than cosplay). So I really like the sets that look like costumes rather than normal clothes. For example, I bought many of the international and character costumes from BaB for the bears.

Love love love the Shellie lantern!!! I also bought 2 Duffy ones last year so Shellie will be very happy to get her own now.

And of course I also have to have the camera bag and big tote...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by madoka View Post
    LOL I am in the minority once again because I love these costumes! Seems like I often have opposite tastes than many other Duffeteers in this forum...
    I swear I almost posted that you were gonna be the one of us who "gets" these costumes and that because of that, you'd be totally excited about them. Durnit…like the ShellieMay Lantern, I wish I had actually posted so there was proof!

I guess you're extra lucky. You get to love it all and you still save 10%. Don't forget to check out the 20/20 deal in the Duffy Post Guidelines thread!

EDIT: My other predicted fan of these is Sue Kruse. Will I be right...?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-14-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Testing my knowledge of the Duffeteers...

• Adventures with Duffy

If you love them then OLC is doing things right. They are finding a way to make everyone happy. That's not easy lol

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by NRubus View Post
    ...I like my bears dressing more sophisticated and "grown up".
    Come to think of it, this is probably the big thing for me, too. In the concept art, they look like kids trick-or-treating, but it looks like that whole world is kids trick-or-treating so I it. Outside of the art, it's Duffy in a more juvenile costume and that's probably what I'm reacting to. Lots of fans (possibly the majority, honestly) see Duffy that way, but that's just not my take. Janell is right. When you do high-quality releases as often as OLC does, variety is not a bad thing. In some ways, it kinda makes me feel better about the fact that I bought almost every single item last year. When there's that kind of diversity and every item is collectible, it adds value and incentive to buy what I like right now and know that I'll always be happy I did. Thanks, NRubus and Janell. That was the last little thing I needed to be totally onboard with Halloween Parade for what it is.^^

---------- Post added 08-15-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...Yeah, I need that ShellieMay lantern! I bought multiple Duffy ones last year because I didn't anticipate this, and I figured they would be gone...
    ...Love love love the Shellie lantern!!! I also bought 2 Duffy ones last year so Shellie will be very happy to get her own now. ...
    I bought two Duffy Lanterns last year, too. I really did think they'd do it again this year and offer Shellie's, but Shellie was already around last year and with OLC you really never know. Always better safe than sorry. I don't regret it. Actually, I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get two of the Shellie Lanterns as well. They make great decorations on their own and someday I may even find the perfect person to give the extra set to!^^

• when you wish...

I'm with most of you. I love the costumes and they're so well executed, but they're not my cup of tea. Those lanterns sure are adorable though!

I wish the bags weren't fall-themed. They are way to cute, but I'd only be able to use it for a couple of months. I agree with Duffy D- they kind of missed the boat on those with SV. The bags would have been a much better fit for that.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Please don't send WishLists yet. I'm gonna put up merchandise titles and stuff tomorrow, but I must sleep now.

Plus one more prediction for a Halloween Parade fan: I suspect Esmeralda is also likely to dig these.^^

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I swear I almost posted that you were gonna be the one of us who "gets" these costumes and that because of that, you'd be totally excited about them. Durnit…like the ShellieMay Lantern, I wish I had actually posted so there was proof!
    LOL you were right!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Actually, I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get two of the Shellie Lanterns as well. They make great decorations on their own and someday I may even find the perfect person to give the extra set to!^^
    Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. Will have to consider getting 2 Shellie lanterns as well...

• Adventures with Duffy

What is everyone thinking of getting?

Im going for the Lanterns and one of the bags or maybe two. lol

D
    uffeteer

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    What is everyone thinking of getting?
    I am getting both costumes, the Shellie lantern, and 2 of the bags (large tote and "camera").

• Adventures with Duffy

I am getting both costumes, the Shellie lantern, and 2 of the bags (large tote and "camera").
    I like your list. Help me out. Why the larger tote over the smaller one? I too want the camera bag, it just too cute. I just cant decided between the two totes.

D
    uffeteer

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

The larger one has a more timeless design with more details, looks more comfortable to carry over the shoulder, and is inherently more versatile/useful because of its size. Plus, doesnt it close more securely at the top? That's always important to me. Though they are all a great value, that one looks the most like it cost much more than the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Why the larger tote over the smaller one?
    Because I wanted the larger size for carrying things around the park. And it has a zippered top like DuffyD said which I like also. The smaller tote is cute too, and I think the Spring Voyage tote I got is a similar size and I love it, but I wanted a more practical bag this time.

• Adventures with Duffy

Good point about how it closes. I was getting caught up in how cute they are.

D
    uffeteer

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Looking back at all the Halloween Parade stuff yesterday, I was suddenly overwhelmed by how CUTE it all is. And then I realized… That's the thing; it's "cute," not "stylish." But for all the fans of "Cute Duffy," those costumes are really wonderful.

I thought, too, that Duffy's initial fanbase was collectors, not kids. Since My Friend Duffy it has often felt to me like Duffy is being marketed a little more to Japanese kids, and the new Halloween designs are perfect if that's the target. The collector market is still very important to OLC, though, as evidenced by Cannery Clothing Co. But, after Spring Voyage, there are probably a TON of new Duffy fans who are children.

This thought excites me a lot. I imagine the future, twenty or thirty years from now, when these kids start having kids of their own and childhood nostalgia. For generations going forward, Duffy will be an iconic part of youth as a matter of fact. They will not remember Duffy "becoming" popular; they will remember him as a symbolic character that was "everywhere" when they were young. And they will want to share that with their kids.

They will have grown up with Duffy the way we grew up with Mickey. And once that starts happening, no one will question how important this little bear is, or whether or not he's a "real" character. So if costumes like these help them love Duffy, I'm all for the cute! …As long as classic looks and high fashions also still come around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast