• Adventures with Duffy

Talking Dear Santa (aka OLC)

For Christmas I would love a holiday Duffy iPhone cover (like the one from SV)

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Dear Santa (aka OLC)

What is everyone's wish list for the holiday release?

D
    uffeteer

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Dear Santa (aka OLC)

I wish for smiling ShellieMay, a wooden Aunt Peg advent calendar, handbells, and a Christmas storybook/songbook/CD set with Duffy and ShellieMay singing seasonal carols. Oh! And FAN CAPS!!

Duffy and Shellie snowplushes and gingerbreads would also be nice. And a Cape Cod lamp shaped like Hurricane Point Lighthouse…

What a fun thread!!

• North American Duffeteer

I wish for a pair of ShellieMay Mickey ears (like the Duffy Mickey ears).

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Munchings & Crunchings

Good idea! I love all these suggestions.

A couple of mine would be a Duffy and ShellieMay holiday music box. Either made out of wood, or ceramic. Although, if I had to, I would take resin too, since that seems to be what they make their figurines out of.

Then, I'd love a little table-top Christmas tree already decorated with tiny Duffy and ShellieMay ornaments. I believe they actually did this in 2008. I want a new version of that.

Here's a picture of the one they actually did release.

I will reiterate a regular sized smiling ShellieMay, like DuffyD said! I really want that.

A "snow village" version of Cape Cod buildings...maybe in ceramic or something with lights inside. Like the Department 56 Christmas villages.
    Last edited by gurgi; 08-28-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added picture

• Adventures with Duffy

I love all these ideas.

DuffyD, what are Fan Caps? I love this idea, Cape Cod lamp shaped like Hurricane Point Lighthouse. I think I like things that light up. lol

MikiMausu99, I think Shellie needs her own ears too.

Gurgi, I love love love the idea of "Snow Village" building of Cap Cod. That would be amazing. Maybe a new building each year, so we can save up. I have to admit, I would leave it up year round, not just during the holidays. I love using Snow Village as cute accent lights at night.

Post your ideas as they come to you. If OLC reads this, then maybe someday we will get what we are wishing for. (It worked with the Duffy size pop corn bucket I always wanted)

Speaking of that, I would love a holiday bucket Duffy size. (and a sweet Duffy one too

D
    uffeteer

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

I really like the ideas of ShellieMay Mickey ears, a regular-sized smiling ShellieMay, and a lamp shaped like a lighthouse. Those would be awesome.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiMausu99 View Post
    I wish for a pair of ShellieMay Mickey ears (like the Duffy Mickey ears).
    As long as they're Fan Cap ears and not those "bowler" things, I agree! I know they're "traditional" and "nostalgic" in the US, but I never wanted "ears" until I saw Tokyo's Fan Caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...DuffyD, what are Fan Caps?
    These soft plushy pieces of crazy cute headwear!^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...Duffy and ShellieMay holiday music box. Either made out of wood, or ceramic. Although, if I had to, I would take resin too, since that seems to be what they make their figurines out of.
    I'd vastly prefer wood over ceramic, but would choose resin over ceramic for both durability and fixability. OLC seasonal items are not easy to replace. I would really this, especially if they have an original Christmas caroling song! How cool if they actually changed the music in Cape Cod for Christmas!

...Then, I'd love a little table-top Christmas tree already decorated with tiny Duffy and ShellieMay ornaments. I believe they actually did this in 2008. I want a new version of that.
    This is a cute idea, too, and likely, but...

...A "snow village" version of Cape Cod buildings...maybe in ceramic or something with lights inside. Like the Department 56 Christmas villages.
    OH...MY...GOLLYGOSHNESSES!!! You just made/ruined Christmas!

This is absolutely the best idea ever of all time forever and always... BUT I think OLC is very unlikely to do it. I just don't see it. Sadly, I could actually see US Disney doing it, even as a collaboration project with Department 56 because they have already worked together many times...BUT...that would likely never happen, as the US is obviously trying to nix the whole "Cape Cod is Duffy's Hometown" thing because that firmly establishes Tokyo Duffy as authentic Duffy. They clearly want to avoid/redact that. It would be a fantastic way to bring Cape Cod into every home, of every Duffeteer, everywhere in the world, though... It really is genius.

...Gurgi, I love love love the idea of "Snow Village" building of Cap Cod. That would be amazing. Maybe a new building each year, so we can save up. I have to admit, I would leave it up year round, not just during the holidays. I love using Snow Village as cute accent lights at night.
    Yeah, this idea is truly wonderful. I wish I thought it could ever happen. This is my new number one. I would especially love it if the character figures were completely separate from the buildings, so you could just use the buildings without the characters if you wanted. Probably, as a US release, this would actually widen their target market, too. This product could be a GREAT opportunity for the US to do something really special with Duffy. One of the things that the US is missing that really made Duffy work in Japan is his sense of being "at home" in Cape Cod. If the US team decided to firmly establish that and did a Japanese-quality level holiday release with this as part of the line-up, it could be a very exciting event.

Is Duffy catching on in the US? Is this likely to happen? Does he need to be rejuvenated to get people excited? Does he need to be recalled because the concept just isn't working there? Is it a steady process of slow growth? Or is he always gonna be a limited, hardcore fan character and they've already fully adopted him? What do you guys think? These are the kinds of questions that determine what kind of and how much merchandise gets behind a character. If there isn't growth potential or fan demand for high quality items like Department 56 crossover miniatures, it isn't likely to happen. But, oh, I wish! I mean, I really really want to see these now!

...Post your ideas as they come to you. If OLC reads this, then maybe someday we will get what we are wishing for. (It worked with the Duffy size pop corn bucket I always wanted)
    Speaking of that, I would love a holiday bucket Duffy size. (and a sweet Duffy one too
    It's true; there is a precedent! In fact, I had forgotten, but I was actually expecting a Halloween bucket, one for Christmas, and then one for Sweet Duffy. I have to admit that now I'm pretty seriously disappointed that didn't happen. The lack of 3-D molding on that bucket lid strongly suggested to me that there would be more, and I kind of thought there would be more, soon. Hopefully Christmas. I hope that if they do this, though, the bucket graphics are in line with the localized Cape Cod event theme, rather than a mini replica of the park event bucket. Like, for Christmas, it would be "Cape Cod Carolers" instead of "Christmas Wishes." That would be extremely cool, actually, as it would elevate the Cape Cod event, since it would have its own popcorn bucket. I'd love for them to sell just the mini buckets, but it would be kind of awesome to have human-sized buckets exclusively about the Cape Cod event, too. I think it only really works for the holidays, but I would that, I think.

I hope more people start posting in here! This thread is my favorite in a long, long time. I want to hear everyone's Duffy daydreams!

---------- Post added 08-29-2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

PS: I keep forgetting to mention that I'm not actually sure if it's "fan caps" or "fun caps" in English. The Japanese could go either way.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    As long as they're Fan Cap ears and not those "bowler" things, I agree! I know they're "traditional" and "nostalgic" in the US, but I never wanted "ears" until I saw Tokyo's Fan Caps.

These soft plushy pieces of crazy cute headwear!^^

I will admit that a ShellieMay bowler hat would make me happy; but a ShellieMay fan cap would make me ecstatic. It would put me over the moon. Now, if they had ShellieMay's smiling face on either the bowler or the fan cap, I think my heart would burst from anticipation. And that would be sad because I wouldn't get a chance to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

---------- Post added 08-29-2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

PS: I keep forgetting to mention that I'm not actually sure if it's "fan caps" or "fun caps" in English. The Japanese could go either way.
    Fun caps or fan caps, I'd still happily wear them. The name is appropriate either way.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm not sure Disney would ever even consider releasing replica TDS Cape Cod buildings. Like you said, they have de-emphasized Duffy's TDS origins in favor of the more generic one. Although they did acknowledge his Japanese roots, they probably don't want to really tie him there, since they want to make him appear more general for all the Disney parks. I think that works against him, but whatever, I'm not in charge.

If OLC did decide to do a mini-village, there are a couple ways they could go. They could go the high-end route and create the Olszewski style buildings with extreme details, working lights, and scenes inside each building. They would be really expensive though.

They could do a mid-level Department 56 style with working lights inside, but not as crazy detailed as the Olszewski models.

Or...I just thought about these this morning. They could go an even simpler route, and create wooden buildings with screen-printed details that could be easier to display, and also much easier on the wallet. Sure, no light-up effects, but they could still be cute, and have details. These are what made me think of it.

"The Cat's Meow Village"
    Cat's Meow Village Collector's Pieces

This artist creates flat, wooden buildings with screen-printed details. Usually they are "old" buildings, farm houses, churches, stores, etc. They have a quaint charm, and kind of fit the aesthetic of TDS's Cape Cod.

She even did a Cape Cod building.

Here's an ebay auction with a bunch of them, one of the buildings even looks like Aunt Peg's Village Store.

22 Wooden Buildings - THE CAT'S MEOW HOMETOWNE COLLECT | eBay

I also like that each one has the black cat stamp on the back to identify it.

Sure, ultimately, I'd love a more traditional 3-D village with lights. And...Disney has even done this themselves before. Several years ago they released a Christmas Toontown series with all of the Toontown buildings covered in snow and lights. They were really cute.

Here's Goofy's house.

Then, a few years after that, they got an artist to create clay versions of the houses that you could put tea light candles in to create the light. Those were also very detailed and adorable.
    Last edited by gurgi; 08-29-2012 at 05:34 AM.

• Adventures with Duffy

DuffyD, fan caps or fun caps, they are cute. I saw those when I was at TDR and sooo wanted to get one, then I thought I live in California, it doesnt get cold enough to enjoy them at Disneyland.

I dont think Duffy is catching on with the US guest anymore then he has been. In my group of Disney Friends, there is only one other Duffy in the group and now a Shellie May. The last time I was in DCA, (June 15th) I saw more of these silly Tire hats (that are cute) from Carsland then I did Duffys. Its funny what people collect. I think for Duffy to take off, US Disney needs to take on TDS storyline, make him from Tokyo, up grade the quality and make things limited editions. People will buy almost anything if they think they may not be able to get it later.

I hope if OLC did do a village, they could go with the Department 56 style. They could make it cheaper by going smaller (Disney use to have a smaller style Department 56, years ago) I think this would be such a cute thing to do and you can add to it each year.

I just thought of something, so they make cute buildings. Then sell sets of holiday decor, so you can decorate your Cape Cod! I love the idea of a CD, DuffyD. Part of the holiday decor set would include a CD of the season. Why I would want the decor kits is because we all only have so much storage room. lol I know I have to think before buying any holiday decor, do I have a place to store this item? lol

Ive also thought of something else that would be cool and seem popular in the states, laptop skins (I think that is what they call them). Its a design on plastic that sticks to your computer or they are stickers. I could so see putting them on my laptop.

Okay back to the snow village type buildings. Im sadden to think OLC wouldnt do this. The US parks, maybe. But they dont accept the Cape Cod back story and dont have Sweet Duffy, so to me I dont think it would be done well. Plus the US isnt producing the greatest of quailty of Duffy or other items these days so I hope they dont and so it doesnt get ruined.

D
    uffeteer

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I dunno. I think US Disney could do an incredible job with nostalgic Cape Cod. IF they accepted the fact that Cape Cod is Duffy's (and Mickey's and Minnie's, in the Duffyverse^^) hometown and IF they really cared to. Disney doesn't have to wait for Duffy to become popular. Disney makes things popular…when they are truly invested.

• Adventures with Duffy

I agree DuffyD, I just dont think Disney in the states wants to do much with Duffy. They just think because he is popular in Japan that he will be popular here and guest in the states dont get the magic of Duffy and just think its another way Disney is trying to get their money. And I think that attitude comes from all the price hikes Disney has done in the states. With those price hikes, it takes up the money guest have to spend on food and merchandise. Its just not a good road Disney US is going down. I wish they see that. Its not like we are in a booming economy. Ill never get why they do the things they do.

---------- Post added 08-30-2012 at 11:05 AM ----------

I thought of something eles I would like on the wish list.

Lesportsac has a line of Its a Small World bags and I love them. The Voyager backpack is perfect for Duffy, he peaks out the top of the bag when we walk around. I think it would be great if they made Duffy and Shellie Line. I would also want them to make a style of bag that men would more likely use too. This shouldnt be made for just the ladies. The bags are very light weight, easy to clean and travel with.

Disney It's a Small World Collection by LeSportsac

D
    uffeteer