Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Re: Spring Voyage 2013!!!^^

Aimster-I'm the opposite! I take Shellie May most of the time and end up leaving Duffy at home. Probably because of the Facebook page. But I do take both of them quite a bit. I use one of those drawstring pouch style backpacks from BAB. I can actually fit both of them in it and it's not too heavy. It's just a "bear" to get both of the back into it when you are walking around the park! I'd love to have a tote that I can easily get them in and out of.
    And DuffylovrDisney-I'm going to be so broke by the time Spring Voyage and Happiness Year come around! I might as well come to terms that all my extra spending cash is already spent!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I really hope that tote this year will fit two bears and be easy to carry. I've been looking for a tote to carry them in, and I'm holding off until I know more on the dimensions of this one. Even if it only holds one bear, I may still splurge and get it!
    I have been waiting for a tote for both my bears. I really hope it fits them both. Plus it would be absolutely cute to take around everywhere. And it will be great for all year around.

Naelyan ; I agree. My extra money is going to these shopping trips. I am really excited for it and I can't wait! I am going to get so much. ^_^ I am very excited. *giggles*

• Adventures with Duffy

I wonder when SV will show up on line so we can see what's all be offered? Getting excited

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

I think that's gonna be late next month, Janell. After Valentine's for sure. Fortunately, tomorrow is 2/1!

I am trying to decide if I actually want the smiling Duffy and Shellie May. I already have the 17 inch ones so this is a question to those who have the smiling ones. Are they worth it and do you like them better? I find them very cute but it's a very hard decision for me. XD

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffylovrDisney View Post
    I am trying to decide if I actually want the smiling Duffy and Shellie May. I already have the 17 inch ones so this is a question to those who have the smiling ones. Are they worth it and do you like them better? I find them very cute but it's a very hard decision for me. XD
    Of course this is a very personal question, but these are my thoughts.

I don't have the big bears, but I LOVE the smaller size of Smiling Shellie May. She is a good size to hold and very easy to take around, and of course she is absolutely adorable. I love people's larger Duffies and Shellie Mays, but I know I'm personally not particularly comfortable carrying around a friend of their size. Or at least, I'm MUCH happier carrying a smaller bear. (I think it's GREAT that people take their 17" Duffies out with them so I hope no one reads my preferences the wrong way. I've just always liked small things, including smaller plushies, and I think the smaller bears are a better fit for me.)

The small "magnet" bears (my first love in the world of Duffy) are great fun and pocket-sized, but they're easy to get "lost" in photographs.

For me, Smiling Shellie May is a perfect compromise in size (I kind of like the size of the US pre-dressed 12" bears for that reason, too). You get the advantage of having a highly huggable bear (versus the magnet bears) and she's extremely photogenic. She also has a natural whimsical smallness that doesn't always come across as well in photos of the 17" Duffy. That is, 17" Duffy is the size of a human baby, so sometimes, he looks more like items are in scale for him, versus Duffy being a small bear in a big world. For my own photos, I like the "small bear/big world" look, but I know others prefer 17" Duffy, and some others have done an amazing job showing their Duffy as just a normal bear living in our world. It's a personal choice, like I said. (Obviously if you had the Smiling Spring Voyage bears, you could have both styles!)

There are several drawbacks to the Smiling Spring Voyage bears, though. Last year, they cost roughly the same as a full-sized Duffy or Shellie May, though they are much smaller. The main reason for that seems to be that these bears were pre-dressed with well-made outfits, though I didn't love either of the outfits (I never saw Duffy's in person). If you don't love the outfits, you're paying a serious premium to (in effect) get a fabulous, small, smiling bear.

In fact, the clothes that come on the bears are officially called "non-removable" (or at least they were last year), though I was able to snip the threads and slip Shellie May's off. To put her bow back on will require sewing it to some elastic (or else just sewing it back on her). So far, at least, no one I know of has manufactured clothes for the small bears, so if you don't sew, then it will take some work and maybe even luck to find clothes that will fit them. (To me that is sort of an advantage, because I shouldn't be spending money on bear clothes anyway. The Smiling Spring Voyage bears can't generally be clothed in Build-a-Bear clothes, so I HAVE to sew for them, which means I'm at least doing something mildly constructive to get them clothed.)

Also, as much as I love Duffy, I don't really subscribe to the notion that more Duffies are necessarily better. The more you have, the more likely it is that the two bears you started with won't be your special companions. (That's why I hate the actual idea of the US pre-dressed bears...one a year like TDS has done is special, but one for every season makes it very difficult to maintain each one's "specialness.") I don't regret getting Smiling Shellie May (in fact, I love her!). But she has somewhat shifted my focus away from my tiny magnet Duffy and Shellie May (even though I still love them too).

And also, the more bears you have, the harder it may be to give them all attention, change their clothes, etc. Some people love to have a ton of bears, and that's fine--in fact, if you have a ton of amazing outfits to show off, I'd say it's even reasonable to have several full-sized bears But keeping your actual number of bears small is not a bad idea. Just depends on what kind of person you are and what kind of collection you want to have. It's very wise of you to think about the direction of your collection now, before you start writing your Wishlist.

If you DO want more bears, an economical alternative (downgrade) to the Spring Voyage Smiling Duffy is any of the 9" pre-dressed Duffies, which are just slightly smaller than the Spring Voyage bears, missing the open-mouthed smile, and don't have beans in their bottoms. Other than that, I personally didn't note any difference in the quality of the bears themselves (not addressing clothing). I'm not the biggest bear critic, granted.

The Spring Voyage bears ARE noticeably nicer, but I believe it worked out that I paid about $80 for the Spring Voyage Smiling Shellie May, versus $15 (price went up to $18) for my 9" Santa Duffy. That's a pretty serious difference, and (aside from supporting TDS) I'm not sure I can argue that the Spring Voyage bears are more than 4 times nicer than the 9" Duffies you can get here. (If there were no such thing as shipping or other fees, then the price for the smiling bears would be a bit over twice as much, which I think falls in line with the actual quality difference.)

Again, my Spring Voyage Shellie May was absolutely worth every yen, and then some. But you have to decide what is right for you and what kind of collection you want to have. Good luck!

Thanks Eeee-va. I do like the smiling bears but my decision to buy them will probably rest on what else I like and what else I will buying. Even though I like the bears not having them won't bother me as much as say...missing out on something else that I really like from Spring Voyage. How much I spend on other Spring Voyage things will be the ultimate decider. ^_^

I liked your response Eeee-va. I am actually the opposite of you! I love having a bunch of Duffy bears. But I do have my 2 main 17" bears that I take with me everywhere. I'm actually looking at getting a 17" Duffy from TDS with my Spring Voyage order this year, as well as the Smiling bears. I like the idea of having a Duffy from the U.S. and one from TDS, although my WDW Duffy bear is still my traveling buddy. I'm sure I will continue to collect the smaller bears. I have everything from the 12" bears to the 9" bears and the key chain sized and cell phone strap bears! In fact I love the tiny cell phone straps, as they can attach to my purse and go with me EVERYWHERE!!! It's an excuse to carry Duffy and Shellie May everywhere I go! I even got my Mom a tiny Shellie May that she attached to her purse as well. She's always getting questioned about her and she always starts out the conversation with, "She's from Tokyo Disney Sea!" So my mom is spreading the Duffy and Shellie May love as well!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• I love that tiny bear!

I'm sure I will continue to collect the smaller bears. I have everything from the 12" bears to the 9" bears and the key chain sized and cell phone strap bears!
    If money were no object, I'd probably have quite a collection of those itty bitty clothed bears myself! I guess the price of the Smiling Spring Voyage bears isn't so high that it would prevent some people from buying them just to be pretties to sit on a shelf or a couch or something. But I can't do that, and replied accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Of course this is a very personal question, but these are my thoughts…

…I'm personally not particularly comfortable carrying around a friend of their size. Or at least, I'm MUCH happier carrying a smaller bear…

…The small "magnet" bears (my first love in the world of Duffy) are great fun and pocket-sized, but they're easy to get "lost" in photographs.
    This is one of the most personal questions about Duffy, to be sure. And as Eeee-va notes later, one that is wise to consider before you start building your collection. That is VERY GOOD ADVICE, Alice!^^

I also hesitate to carry the full-sized bears around anywhere but the Park for two reasons. Firstly, my bears are very, very heavy. And secondly because I don't feel most people understand art as being fundamentally about play, imagination, inspiration and communication for adults who are not paid to do it. Especially when it involves toys. But Duffy is a powerful artistic/creative outlet for me, so I force myself to be a real "grown-up" and not allow what some judgmental strangers may or may not think to dictate my behavior or limit my passion or expression — at least in the "safe space" of the parks. This has consequently deepened the "sanctuary" component which clubs, warehouses and open fields dedicated to the underground dance scene historically held for me. I realize, just now, that this is probably a major factor in why "Cape Cod Duffy" is so important for me. As I have said many times, my Duffy has been absorbing this specific energy and embodying this particular nostalgia for me since the beginning.

Along those lines, it was very clear from the beginning that for me Duffy was all about the ridiculous construction quality and detail of the costumes. So one of the first restrictive choices I ever made was: NO STRAPS AND BADGES. I gave myself permission to acquire everything else I wanted, but buying new costumed badges on a regular basis was out of the question — unless you have a vision for a Duffy-covered Christmas tree (which I would !) or a wall installation of shadow boxes, what do you do with all those little guys? For me the priority has always been the costumes, merchandising and artwork that tell a particular story that captures the particular vibe of Cape Cod at a particular time — and through my collection, stretching that precious moment out into forever.

Every release for me feels like a new "party." The artwork and pre-release updates like gathering the flyer, filled with anticipation about what the "DJs" (the OLC "Duffy Jockeys"^^) will be "spinning" when the big event finally comes round. The costumes are the "headliner" for me, and everything else is the atmosphere of the party. The box that housed all the flyers from a half-decade of parties was lost and my Duffy collection is a kind of "surrogate." For me, it's about honoring the art, quality standard and vibe-setting of these artists, and the 17" with costume collection is essential to that. I do not have unlimited resources, so I have to have some imposed limits. For me, that's the badges and straps.

I have surely been tempted (especially by the current SD13 Duffy), and there are some I truly regret not getting (like the 2009 inaugural Sweet Duffy), but I try hard to stick to this rule. As long as I do, I can rationalize staying at MiraCosta just to get a duffel or a bathrobe. Otherwise, I couldn't do it.

Since the creation of Duffy Post, I have added another rule: my own spending can never exceed my net earnings from the service. During Spring Voyage I don't count the MiraCosta, obviously, and I don't count the purchase of the Annual Pass, naturally. This rule serves two purposes. It keeps my expenses under control and it serves as a very real reminder and motivator for me to be very grateful for and careful about running the Post. It guarantees that I have a deep connection and commitment to the Duffy Post, and it adds value to my collection as it becomes, in a very real way, a gift from many of you. I sincerely hope that what I give back to this community is equal and endeavor to make it so. This rule elevates the Post and keeps it honest and I refuse to break it.

There are several drawbacks to the Smiling Spring Voyage bears, though. Last year, they cost roughly the same as a full-sized Duffy or Shellie May, though they are much smaller. The main reason for that seems to be that these bears were pre-dressed with well-made outfits, though I didn't love either of the outfits (I never saw Duffy's in person). If you don't love the outfits, you're paying a serious premium to (in effect) get a fabulous, small, smiling bear.
    For me, the pre-dressed bears' most significant drawback is that they are not "blank slates" and they can't wear the clothes from every event. The larger bears have this same weakness. Because it's all about the design team's work and the rhythms of Cape Cod for me, this weakness is a big deal and I did not plan on buying the 12" bears. However, after spending hours selecting them from hundreds for WishListers, I, of course, fell in love with them and purchased a pair. But Eeee-va is right. Even with my hesitation about being "the weird old foreigner" alone spending a lot of time composing "just so" pictures of his big-sized bears, it is still those original two who go with me to the park every time. I'm still happy to have them, I guess, but I don't really "use" them.

…So far, at least, no one I know of has manufactured clothes for the small bears, so if you don't sew, then it will take some work and maybe even luck to find clothes that will fit them…so I HAVE to sew for them, which means I'm at least doing something mildly constructive to get them clothed.
    I this in theory, and I actually bought a sewing machine last year. It's still in the box. But that is truly the goal!^^

Also, as much as I love Duffy, I don't really subscribe to the notion that more Duffies are necessarily better. The more you have, the more likely it is that the two bears you started with won't be your special companions. (That's why I hate the actual idea of the US pre-dressed bears...one a year like TDS has done is special, but one for every season makes it very difficult to maintain each one's "specialness.")…

…Just depends on what kind of person you are and what kind of collection you want to have. It's very wise of you to think about the direction of your collection now, before you start writing your Wishlist.
    I think it's useful for collectors to have a "vision" for their collection and collecting style, and whatever works for you is what you should do. But, for me, a collection of a bunch of smaller Duffys would make each less special, I think. But not having seasonal merchandise that makes the character new and exciting would also be a drawback. So for me it's all about the 17", and Disney's lack of full support in this area is frustrating. That rhythm is an essential element of Duffy for me.

If you DO want more bears, an economical alternative (downgrade) to the Spring Voyage Smiling Duffy is any of the 9" pre-dressed Duffies, which are just slightly smaller than the Spring Voyage bears, missing the open-mouthed smile, and don't have beans in their bottoms. Other than that, I personally didn't note any difference in the quality of the bears themselves (not addressing clothing). I'm not the biggest bear critic, granted.

The Spring Voyage bears ARE noticeably nicer, but I believe it worked out that I paid about $80 for the Spring Voyage Smiling Shellie May, versus $15 (price went up to $18) for my 9" Santa Duffy. That's a pretty serious difference, and (aside from supporting TDS) I'm not sure I can argue that the Spring Voyage bears are more than 4 times nicer than the 9" Duffies you can get here. (If there were no such thing as shipping or other fees, then the price for the smiling bears would be a bit over twice as much, which I think falls in line with the actual quality difference.)

Again, my Spring Voyage Shellie May was absolutely worth every yen, and then some. But you have to decide what is right for you and what kind of collection you want to have. Good luck!
    While I absolutely agree that one should think hard and rationally about the costs involved with importing, not as a plug for the Post, but rather the reason for its existence, I have to say that every time I see US merchandise, I think the difference is significant to the point of making the OLC releases priceless treasures. There is a hard to quantify feeling of authenticity that permeates everything the Oriental Land Company does that makes their products worth the cost. I think this is even more true for Duffy than any other kind of merchandise, though it is apparent in every aspect of the company. They are the real deal and it's hard to say what that kind of integrity is worth in terms of money or put a price on it. Fortunately this year, we are enjoying a weakened yen that is effectively a 20%+ discount over the past two years for the majority of WishListers.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffylovrDisney View Post
    …Even though I like the bears not having them won't bother me as much as say...missing out on something else that I really like from Spring Voyage. How much I spend on other Spring Voyage things will be the ultimate decider. ^_^
    My thinking exactly.^^

…In fact I love the tiny cell phone straps, as they can attach to my purse and go with me EVERYWHERE!!! It's an excuse to carry Duffy and Shellie May everywhere I go! I even got my Mom a tiny Shellie May that she attached to her purse as well. She's always getting questioned about her and she always starts out the conversation with, "She's from Tokyo Disney Sea!" So my mom is spreading the Duffy and Shellie May love as well!
    Best argument yet for the little ones!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

DuffyD, I agree with you so much. I hadn't heard your comparison between your past underground dance scene and Duffy before and it makes so much sense! I can now see exactly how each Duffy release is, and it's honestly how I feel about it too, even though I was never in that scene. But it resonates regardless.

You really did ask a very personal question, Duffylovr, but a really good one! It gives us a chance to share just how and why we collect Duffy, and what our preferences are. My collecting habits pretty much match up exactly with DuffyDaisuki's. I also told myself no badge or strap bears unless they had a specific purpose. For example, since I have a bunch of the seasonal canvas tote bags from over the years, I bought one themed plush badge to hang from each bag. So, I have two Sweet Duffy badges, one Halloween one, and two Christmas badges. Oh, and I did get two of the tiny sitting ones during TDS's 10th anniversary, but other than that, I don't collect them.

My main focus is to have that "Cape Cod" feeling at home, so any Duffy home decor item, or dishware is what I like. I love rotating out my seasonal Duffy displays. I bought the little plate stands so that I could always have several of the dessert plates & mugs out at all times. During the non-holidays, I have the general plates out.

As for the bears themselves, I have four 17" bears, and two smiling bears from Spring Voyage. And, honestly, that's quite enough, it's almost too much as it is in my tiny space. But I love all of them. My feelings are similar to DuffyD's on the 17" bears because they can wear anything, and the focus of all of the costume releases is on them. I would love one of the huge plush, but they can't really wear any costumes, and then they would also take up so much space. The smiling bears are so adorable though.

Originally, I planned to use those two to take out in public for photos since they are so much more portable. I haven't done it yet, but maybe this spring I'll have time and courage to do it. I had every intention of taking them to Central Park for a picnic last year, but that never happened.

So, if you have the space and money, I would say buy the regular 17" bears because they can wear all the costumes and also stuff from Build-a-Bear. However, there really is something to be said for the smiling bears. I know there are some disadvantages, but I think their positives outweigh any negatives.

The cost shouldn't be so crazy this time. The conversion rate is favorable for us right now, so you may end up paying about $40 for each smiling bear. Considering it's limited status, and it's cuteness, I think it's worth it if you can afford it. The embroidered smiles are absolutely infectious, and the beans in the bottom give them some weight so they can sit down. They feel...more substantial because of that. Also, the fur is just so soft and fluffy. Yes, the drawback is having clothes sewn to them, but that really shouldn't stop you. They can easily be clipped off. OLC tends to have them sewn on by a few threads that can be snipped. Shellie's bow and Duffy's hat will have to be altered to stay on their heads again, but that can be figured out. You could even attach a barrette or bobby pin to the back of ShellieMay's bow and clip it to one of her ears if you can't get an elastic band. I think their smaller size forces people to get creative with finding outfits for them. It could save you money in the long run, not having to buy every costume you see. I think if you want something more portable, but still huggable, go for the smiling bears, you won't be disappointed.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

"...what do you do with all those little guys?"-DuffyDaisuki

I already talked about how I like the cell phone straps for my purse so I can take them everywhere with me, but I also like the badges because they are like mini bears for my 17" bears! (I don't have that many of the badge size)

"But, for me, a collection of a bunch of smaller Duffys would make each less special, I think."-DuffyDaisuki

I feel differently about this because I take the time to pic out specific bears when I want them. Sometimes I have no urge to buy the smaller dressed bears, but then one will have a certain look to it and I'll think, "Oh, that one has to come home with me." For example, the 12" 2013 Duffy was one I was not going to purchase, but I went in and saw this one in particular that just looked like he needed me! And for this reason all my Duffy bears are very special to me.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Right on, Naelyan! For you, having a big bear family totally works!

Duffylovr, you've got a wide variety of great feedback here. I guess the point is, there are as many answers as there are tenders and you really have to decide for yourself. I'm interested to see how Duffy develops for you!^^

• Adventures with Duffy

I like how Duffy has come into each of our lives in different ways and we like things that are different yet its all Duffy. Its the Disney Magic I grew up loving.

My love of Disney came from Disneyland itself. Sure I saw the movies and they were great. But the park had my heart. The park is where I got to spend time with my parents and I had them to myself. My parents ran a small medical company and were on call all the time. So many dinners interrupted with important live saving phone calls. I felt like I had to share my parents. But when we were at Disney it felt like I got them both and their attention. In reality my mom still answered phone calls but there was still so much going on around us that it was easy to over look.

My mom and I had PAP for 15-20 years. We use to go into Disneyland every Sat morning, walk around, maybe go on a ride or two and go shopping. We did this for about 3 years (around the 50th ann) It was a great stress re-life leaving the real world behind and enjoying what Walt built.

It had always been a dream of my mom and I to go to TDR. We had heard how great it was and after seeing WDW and DLP, we really wanted to go. In 2008, my husband was going to Asia for work and I tagged alone(my mom couldnt go) I fell in love with TDR. The design, the CM, the joy of the other guest. It reminded me of how DL use to be back in the 80-90s (the best days IMO) I think for the first day at each park at TDR I keep saying "Oh My I am really here!" It was so overwhelming and I love every min of it.

I didnt know about Duffy when I was first there. I was sitting in Cape Cod, which I loved! And I saw guest running to a character coming out and he was a bear. I found out during my trip that Duffy was special to TDS. I even bought a Duffy 17" for a friend who collects different plush but didn't buy one for myself as I was out of shopping money.

After I got home I really wised I had gotten a Duffy for myself and my mom said she love one too. Then came along DuffyD aka Duffy adoption ambassador. DuffyD, offered the first Duffy Post. I ordered two Duffys, two cat costumes, a ghost costumes, and a pumpkin costume. I was amazed at quality in the costumes.

I love the level of detail OLC provides in the costumes and merchandise. I love how they have branched out with SV in items like the cell phone cases, pop corn buckets and so on. I love that they are doing more this year too with the halloween items. So there is more to love then just the costumes. For me I get my favorite costumes and I stick with them. Just like I love love love the cat costume and that is what my Duffy wares every halloween. But Im thrilled to add more things to my Duffy items like the camera neck bag we got last year. Thanks OLC.

I too like the 17" bears because their costumes are changeable.

My mom and I would take our Duffys to the park before he came to the states. Funny how only the Japanese guest knew who he was.

My mom passed away in 2010. we were best freinds and my heart was broken. When I missed her, I hug her Duffy. It couldnt replace her, but it was comforting and when your in that amount of pain you just want comfort.

Since then I take her Duffy with me everywhere I go. Hes in my back pack with my laptop. (He stays in the bag as its not cool if adults have plushes.) For me its like having her with me, like I use too. Now its more then just her, its a connection to fellow Disney fans.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

The smiling ones really have perked my interest. The reason I asked this question is because this is the first time I have seen the smiling ones for sale. I am trying to figure out if I want them because they are smaller and different. I like my 17" ones however, I do like the smiling ones. Decisions, decisions. Haha.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast