Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Spring Voyage 2013!!!^^

I got sucked into buying the 12" bears the US parks came out with throughout 2011. I bought a inexpensive book case to display everything on and it's not currently full. Part of me wanted the 12" Food & Wine Duffy for 2012 but I just didn't have the room. I have the 2011 one though and that's good enough for me. But I try to concentrate on my 17" bears because they're they ones who go places with me and who I've spent a small fortune at Build A Bear for. Seriously... those bears are better dressed than I am sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I've spent a small fortune at Build A Bear for. Seriously... those bears are better dressed than I am sometimes!
    I feel the same way! I buy bear clothes before I buy clothes for myself!!!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• I love that tiny bear!

I love hearing about everyone's bears, but Janell, your story is too sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    The cost shouldn't be so crazy this time. The conversion rate is favorable for us right now, so you may end up paying about $40 for each smiling bear.
    Weren't the smiling bears about 3800 or 3900 yen last year? So yes, that's $40 out the gate (yay!) but then there are fees and gratuities. With the quantity of items I buy from Duffy Post, I can usually multiply the yen price by 0.02 and have a ballpark figure of what I'll pay per item (including shipping).

Gurgi, I believe you buy quite a bit more than I do, so I'm sure your cost is substantially less compared to the yen cost.

Thumbs up Re: Spring Voyage 2013!!!^^

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I love hearing about everyone's bears, but Janell, your story is too sweet!
    Isn't it amazing? Hers is my favorite, too! I love it more than my own. It's just so moving.

…but then there are fees and gratuities.
    I'm sorry that I can't do it for free. Sometimes I even feel guilty about that, but then I think of that money as gifts from fans to a fan and I smile.^^ I do think Duffy Post is the cheapest and most care-full way to import unless you're only getting one item, like ShellieMay. In that case, some eBay sellers are sometimes competitive with the Post, at least in financial terms. One of my goals with the Post, too, was to drive down eBay costs and ShellieMay does appear to sometimes be cheaper now than two years ago. It's true, too, that the percentage rate of savings is significantly more substantial the more you spend.

With the quantity of items I buy from Duffy Post, I can usually multiply the yen price by 0.02 and have a ballpark figure of what I'll pay per item (including shipping).
    That's REALLY useful! What's your process to determine the per item rate? I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate it!^^

• I love that tiny bear!

I know your fees are well-deserved, DuffyD! (And knowing that you use them to finance your Duffy purchases makes those fees actually really special...I'm suddenly almost glad I get to pay them.) I was just trying to say that if you're not going yourself, and you don't have a friend to bring something back to you in their suitcase, then no matter WHO you buy from, a 3800-3900 yen item will almost certainly cost more than $40 out the door...shipping alone takes care of that.

For my calculations, I just set up a spreadsheet (which gets pretty complex when I get things for my mom too!). But the figure I cited above has historically been what my items tend to come out to. Shipping is bit of a wild card (note to self, paper is heavy; plush is light). But so far, my last 2 orders (right around the 10,000 yen mark) have come FAIRLY close to the amount mentioned above. It's a "back of the envelope" calculation, but it helps me think about items more carefully if I think of them in dollars it will cost for me to get them, instead of the prices on the TDS website.

Example:

¥10,000 (items)
    x 1.30 (non-seasonal rate, which I believe is what Spring Voyage was last year)
    =¥13,000
    +¥1,000 (gratuity)
    +¥2,500 (guess at shipping; add for heavier items)
    =¥16,500 total

That seems to be about $175.88 (give or take), though PayPal seems to have a slightly less favorable exchange rate when I use it.

175.88 / 10,000 = 0.017588

Multiply each item's price in yen by 0.017588 to figure out the dollar amount of each item--assuming shipping is based solely on the price of the item.

So by that calculation, a ¥3,800 bear (I believe that was last year's price) would cost $66.83.

3,800 x 0.017588 = $66.83

Much nicer than the $80 I was estimating for last year's bear (or the $76 the 0.02 multiplier would give you, which is the figure I should've cited). But I prefer to estimate high--I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised at costs, than to end up paying more than I'd expected (or promised others) when shipping comes through. (Plus when I'm deciding what I want, I'd rather look at the website and just figure out what I want, without needing to think beyond "double the number and drop the last 2 zeros).

Thanks for the explanation Eeee-va. I'm new to this board and this helps me ballpark how much I should save if I want to import.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

FYI, according to the info I've seen from scans that have been posted from Disney Fan magazine, the smiling bears will be ¥3800 again this year. That's the same price as a 17" naked Duffy/Shellie May.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

ShellieMay arrived today! Here is one happy Duffy with his best girl. I look forward to getting some nice outfits for her.

I also received my stuff from Sweet Duffy today!!! This was my first time and I'm SO happy. I cant believe how quickly the stuff arrived. Thanks DuffyDaisuki.

I would also like to be part of the first SV shopping trip, so add me to the list

• I love that tiny bear!

People already have their care packages? I'm not a fan of the customs folks in Los Angeles. LOL

• Munchings & Crunchings

I got mine today, and I'm in the NYC area.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

People already have their care packages? I'm not a fan of the customs folks in Los Angeles. LOL
    I'm even less of a fan of the customs/mail system over here!! They have now finally decided how much I have to pay, and have moved it on, but I've got to wait for a letter (which will take a couple of days) telling me how much I owe them, then pay it, and then wait a couple more days for delivery/collection - whichever is quicker!!! So adding the weekend in, I'm not hopeful of seeing it before Wednesday at the earliest.

I had kind of forgotten about the duty, and have now begun to realize how much this costs !! (didn't think with my head, only my heart!) Think I may have to re-think my Spring Voyage wishlist! I will know more when I find out how much I will have to pay for the duty, but may have to cut down on SV items (boo) - or on eating!!! Surely smiling Duffy and ShellieMay are more important than anything, even food!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    I'm even less of a fan of the customs/mail system over here!! They have now finally decided how much I have to pay, and have moved it on, but I've got to wait for a letter (which will take a couple of days) telling me how much I owe them, then pay it, and then wait a couple more days for delivery/collection - whichever is quicker!!!...

I had kind of forgotten about the duty, and have now begun to realize how much this costs !! (didn't think with my head, only my heart!)...
    I don't really understand how that system works. Why do you have to pay more in the UK? You're already paying for the international EMS service. I don't get the system.

Got my package yesterday! Woot! Really adore the costumes. I mean I do love them all, but since DH and I are foodies and love to cook, it's as if we have the bears in the kitchen helping us in their chef's uniforms! I guess we need to learn how to make chocolate truffles now so we can use the mold.

Really love the key chains too. I was really debating that one but now I am very glad I got them. Such high quality with the sturdy clasp that I feel comfortable putting them on my bag for visiting the parks. I am steadily adding to my collection of small items I can wear on me to show my love for Duffy even on days when it just feels too cumbersome to carry the bears around for the whole day.

Thanks sooo much again, DuffyD! You are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I don't really understand how that system works. Why do you have to pay more in the UK? You're already paying for the international EMS service. I don't get the system.
    Basically in the UK or EU, you'll pay a import tax on the items being brought in because they were not made in the EU.

For more info: HM Revenue & Customs: Customs Duty, Excise Duty and Import VAT: introduction

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast