Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

I have to admit looking at these pictures I really do want the very large Duffy.

However, seeing what the Disney store has pushed out I am very upset. The only thing 'new and exclusive' is the different sizes. Everything else is what they sell at the parks. I thought this release was going to be better. Sadly it's what I feared.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I hope you know this already, but my post wasn't directed at you personally, ZT. It was/is about the fact that when we buy what Disney does not commit to, there is no pressure for them to commit. You gotta make 'em "put a ring on it!" That's all I'm saying.^^
    Well, to me the wording did. I too anxiously awaited Duffy’s Release at local Disney Stores because I too wanted to see the animation of our hopes and dreams. I too wanted Disney to finally see Duffy for who he really is and not some simple reincarnation of the Disney Bear. I too wanted Disney to take an OLC-approach to merchandise quality. Disney didn’t have to imitate everything OLC did, but at the very least, I wanted Disney to emulate OLC’s approach to quality. And I too wanted street wear in addition to the character costumes. Some Duffeteers, who also expressed the same apprehensions, went to their local stores yesterday and bought Duffy merchandise. No gripes were flung at them. Nary a concern was given. And yet when I described the underlying thought processes and my possible intended actions—I haven’t even bought any Duffy swag because my store’s undergoing renovations—I was singled out. I don’t understand why, but I was. I mentioned possibly buying a few items (merchandise others had already deemed as cute or of surprisingly decent or better quality), and boom! I was singled out for it. Personally, it seemed as if you verbalized and implied that I don’t care.

It sounds like you're telling me basically that posting my thoughts on MiceChat is pointless because Disney is not reading them. First of all, I don't believe for a moment that a letter from me will change Disney's approach. It would take letters from all of us, and still it's very unlikely without some big media attention.

To that end, I post my thoughts to encourage the conversation, to gather energy, and so that there's a record of the fact that Duffy means and matters more, and that someone cares very deeply about it. I've been doing just that for a very long time, and I doubt it will stop soon. I also post for myself. Because MiceChat was the first English Disney site to create a place specifically to talk about Duffy, because I was part of that happening and I remember what it was like before, and because I am deeply invested in this community. I like to think my voice is valued here, but I accept I might be wrong and I don't feel obliged to be changing Disney in order to earn the right to be relevant, try as I might on both counts.
    I never once wrote or implied posting on a forum was futile or asinine. I explained that I figured sending Disney a piece of my mind would be the next step in channeling my anger and directing my frustration. The first step, in contributing to the cause, was posting my gripes to my fellow like-minded peers. The second step was taking action, and I decided that the best method for doing so would be to write a letter. I climbed what I recognized as the next, logical step. I informed you of the letter so you would know that, despite the contrary, I care and that my wallet votes and so does my head.

I’m not a naïve optimist; I’m a realistic one. I hardly believe for one second any Disney exec with sway will read my letter, or that it will it revolutionize change. When one complains to a company or a corporation, one rarely expects his/her words to excite change. Oh sure, one hopes that one’s words and actions will be responsible for the company’s epiphany and newfound direction, but one doesn’t expect it. But for some that sliver of hope is enough to compel them to do something such as write a letter, send an email, protest, and so forth. I wrote the letter because I would like Disney to know that while some Duffeteers who share certain concerns and views about Duffy are in the minority, some of their complaints are worthwhile and should be considered. And I’ll still send it because I hope that if someone verbalizes to Disney that their idea has a foundation but that it needs to be cemented and that their implementation is shaky and if not addressed, is in failure of collapse, then maybe, just maybe, those words will make Disney reconsider what they’ve built, renovate it, and improve it. I know nothing will come of my letter, but sending it will make me happy because I will feel as if I contributed. It may not be enough to some, but to me, at that moment in time and within that context, it was enough.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    Well, to me the wording did. …I was singled out. I don’t understand why, but I was. I mentioned possibly buying a few items (merchandise others had already deemed as cute or of surprisingly decent or better quality), and boom! I was singled out for it. Personally, it seemed as if you verbalized and implied that I don’t care.
    I understand that's how you felt. It wasn't the case.

…I am ambivalent about Duffy’s release at local Disney Stores, and I conveyed my sentiments, with a small dose of sarcasm, when I stated, “I’m ecstatic…disappointed…teed off…but I will purchase Duffy swag.”
    I understood exactly what you said, sarcasm and all. I replied to your post because your process here — from excited to let down to angry and yet still offering your money — perfectly illustrates the conflict and struggle Duffy fans deal with when Disney so blatantly disregards us. They know this process and are literally banking on the fact that we will ultimately reach this conclusion. They know we care enough to buy it anyway, so they figure they don't have to change. It is a significant problem and I felt your explanation of it was flawless and insightful, so I chose to quote your post. I always enjoy your posts, especially your diction. Apparently I'm not nearly as good a writer as you are or as I sometimes dare to imagine, though, as nothing is more frustrating for a writer than to repeatedly bear the burden of explaining what was meant.

I never once wrote or implied posting on a forum was futile or asinine…
    Maybe I'm not alone in that, though! When you said it was "better" to write a letter than to post opinions in a forum, in the overall tone of the response as I perceived it at the time it seemed like you were suggesting that since you were writing a letter to Disney and I was just posting on MiceChat, your way was comparatively better. I am so relieved that's apparently not what you meant!

…I wrote the letter because I would like Disney to know that while some Duffeteers who share certain concerns and views about Duffy are in the minority, some of their complaints are worthwhile and should be considered.
    I'm not sure we're in the minority yet, as I'm not convinced yet that there are so many people buying Duffy who don't demand the quality standard and commitment I'm talking about. I am fairly confident, however, that if we perceive ourselves as a minor group, we have almost definitely already lost. So I don't hope that Disney considers the validity of my concerns and perspectives; I demand that they deeply, genuinely, and enthusiastically share them or I want nothing to do with them. I don't want to gently, or even sternly, offer them feedback to help them emulate concern and make me feel better. I want to throw down the gauntlet — give them a goal and direction they will only take if they care — and see if they bite. So far, I'm going home hungry.

And I’ll still send it…sending it will make me happy because I will feel as if I contributed. It may not be enough to some, but to me, at that moment in time and within that context, it was enough.
    I don't think we should ever worry about "some." Who are they to us anyway? If it makes you happy and satisfied, by all means do it and feel good. Besides, who knows? Duffy is the Bear of Happiness and LUCK after all. Maybe we'll all be very lucky and your letter will begin a sea change for Disney. I can definitely support that!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Oooh…! Maybe I see the problem now… It's this part…

…How can you know this and still give them your money? How can you support this? I don't understand…
    "You" in the non-specific, general sense — anyone, people in general. "One" didn't seem to flow as well. All better?^^

Maybe I'm not alone in that, though! When you said it was "better" to write a letter than to post opinions in a forum, in the overall (as I perceived it) victimized/defensive/passive aggressive tone of the response, it seemed like you were suggesting that since you were writing a letter to Disney and I was just posting on MiceChat, your way was comparatively better. I am so relieved that's apparently not what you meant!
    "Better" was a poor (and lazy) choice of word, especially within that context. "Better" automatically connotes a sense of superiority and more competent excellence, if you will, and in that context its meaning was ambivalent.

I'm not sure we're in the minority yet, as I'm not convinced yet that there are so many people buying Duffy who don't demand the quality standard and commitment I'm talking about. I am fairly confident, however, that if we perceive ourselves as a minor group, we have almost definitely already lost. So I don't hope that Disney considers the validity of my concerns and perspectives; I demand that they deeply, genuinely, and enthusiastically share them or I want nothing to do with them. I don't want to gently, or even sternly, offer them feedback to help them emulate concern and make me feel better. I want to throw down the gauntlet — give them a goal and direction they will only take if they care — and see if they bite. So far, I'm going home hungry.
    Well, that's good to hear...I guess. Since Disney has never modified it's tactics, I assumed that our perspective must be the minority. When Duffeteers, such as aimster and Naelyan, assume the roles of spokespeople when they ask Monty Maldovan about Disney's poor execution of Duffy, they often relay back to us the fact that even Monty Maldovan himself is frustrated with how Disney is blind, deaf, and stubborn to his and our concerns. I concluded it was because we must be in the minority. I'm glad to hear that a majority of Duffeteers, full bloom and developing alike, want more from Disney, but it's a bit disheartening to know Disney is so completely and incomprehensibly bullheaded. Even a mule with blinders and specially equipped noise-blocking earplugs would heed warnings about an impending cliff. Depending on the mule, it may kick its guardian as it searches for an alternate path, but it will definitely not go over that cliff.

Oooh…! Maybe I see the problem now… It's this part…

"You" in the non-specific, general sense — anyone, people in general. "One" didn't seem to flow as well. All better?^^
    Ah...the generalized "you" vs. "one." Haha! American English needs to adopt an informal indefinite subject pronoun. And yes, we're all better.

I'm frustrated with what Disney is doing with Duffy. I wish I lived in Tokyo so I could visit TDS and TDL anytime I wanted.

In the meantime, I'm going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow to get Prince & Princess pictures and Shellie May is going dressed as Rapunzel. Since it's suppose to rain tomorrow morning, I won't be taking both bears (also, I don't have a "Prince" outfit for Duffy). But maybe this will lighten up my mood and make me feel better.

I NEED A SPRING VOYAGE ANNOUNCEMENT SOON! It will make up for all this!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

…When Duffeteers, such as aimster and Naelyan, assume the roles of spokespeople when they ask Monty Maldovan about Disney's poor execution of Duffy, they often relay back to us the fact that even Monty Maldovan himself is frustrated with how Disney is blind, deaf, and stubborn to his and our concerns. I concluded it was because we must be in the minority. I'm glad to hear that a majority of Duffeteers, full bloom and developing alike, want more from Disney, but it's a bit disheartening to know Disney is so completely and incomprehensibly bullheaded.
    I changed that first section you quoted because upon re-reading it, I was concerned it could be interpreted as accusatory; I'm relieved to find you didn't take it that way anyway.^^

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not confident the majority of Duffy fans care about these representation/quality/integrity issues at all. But I don't know for sure we're in the minority, so I say we fight like we're winning.

And also — nothing against Aimster, Naelyan or even Monty Maldovan — but I think I've been pretty clear that I neither share faith in Mr Maldovan as a champion of Duffy nor approve of his celebrity while the Tokyo Duffy creators remain unnamed and uncredited. My personal opinion is that he is a company man, telling fans what they want to hear so they'll keep showing up to his autograph sessions. If he's the real deal, he understands why I feel this way and is actively working to prove to me that it ain't so by using his unique and enviable position within the Company as leverage. Unfortunately for "poor Monty," I'll only believe it when I see it, but if he truly loves Duffy as much as I do, he wouldn't have it any other way, and he appreciates fan pressure to get the execs who are shackling his creative passion and genius to set him loose so he can Bring the Love. I'm waiting.

American English needs to adopt an informal indefinite subject pronoun. And yes, we're all better.
    I often think so. And yay.

I have to attend to an apparently broken heater, send out shipping totals and head to the post office to deal with a non-Duffy Post issue, so I won't be back for a bit, but I have some teensy Spring Voyage news.^^

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I know it's hard for you, DuffyD, to believe that Monty honestly cares about Duffy, but I believe he truly does. He even has Duffy as his profile photo on his personal Facebook page.

I've noticed on the Facebook fan page I run, people seem to be split. Some think there's nothing wrong with Duffy's current quality, while others feel like we do... that Disney could, and SHOULD do better. I do my best to convince newer fans that the quality right now is VERY sub-par. But some never got to experience Duffy before they changed his fur type and stuff. They don't know how much better he was when he first came to the US parks in 2010. I also make a LOT of posts about TDS and the Duffy events there to make people aware of the proper treatment Duffy gets in Japan. I can't wait for Spring Voyage to start so I can start posting about that!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I know it's hard for you, DuffyD, to believe that Monty honestly cares about Duffy, but I believe he truly does.
    I have to agree with aimster on this statement. I would not have thought so, but after talking to him in person, I could tell he wasn't just saying what he thought I wanted to hear.

...but I have some teensy Spring Voyage news.^^
    YOU'RE KILLING ME! How can you leave me hanging like that!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• I love that tiny bear!

My photo is probably the worst (like my phone!) but here's our Disney Store's modest Duffy display. I didn't look for Vinylmation. Compared to the other displays, I kind of like this one, because it has the sign to show that yes, it's Duffy, and I believe it says "Where will you take him?" I did have to search for him--he was over on a side wall, not really near the plushies, certainly not appearing to be a part of them like Naelyan's. It was directly adjacent to a little area where they do storytelling with kids. (They were doing "Rapunzel" while I was there.) I had to get behind another display to get the photo, so that's why the bottom right is cut off. The 17" Duffies looked more endearing in person (they look a little pained in the photo, strung up under their armpits)...though the waffle fur looks even worse in this crummy photo than in real life, I think.

The clerk who checked me out (8" Duffy) instantly recognized him as Duffy, but when I asked if anyone else was buying, she said this was her first day working since they put him out and I was her first sale. I tried to chat and mentioned that I understand Build a Bear had clothes that will fit the one I bought and she completely shut down like I was a creeper. OK then.

The back of the giant "book" reads "Become a friend of Duffy at facebook.com/duffythedisneybear even though they're ignoring the Facebook site! That's just bad.

Also, Aimster, you owe me $17. Enabler. Dusty the Arizona Bear! Since I bought him on Statehood Day. (Don't mind the tag; I looked carefully for a well-sewn outfit--not sure I managed--and ignored the fact that the buttons didn't line up right at ALL, so I'm debating exchanging the outfit. It reminded me of how some folks I know in Arizona dress... )

I am new to Mice Chat but not to Disney and collecting. One of my favorite things to collect is plush and I have tons of different Disney, Snoopy, Build A Bear, etc plush. I have one Duffy bear, a birthday themed one that happened to come to the DL Cast Member store Company D.
    I was looking forward to the Duffy product at the Disney Store. I really liked the Mickey plush holding a small Duffy because I love Mickey when he is in different costumes. However I probably won't be buying it because what I read on the Disney Store website:
    "Mickey has a Disney Store exclusive patch sewn on his foot" (Note probably not the exact wording)
    I HATE those Disney Store exclusive patches that get sewn on the plush sold at the Disney Store. I find them visually distracting. I would not mind a tush tag saying this, but to actually have this on the plush, as if it's a part of them bothers me. I don't think people are that dumb as to not remember where their plush Mickey came from. I seem to be in the minority about this as my friend and countless Disney Store employees don't understand why it upsets me.
    That being said there was nothing in the Disney Store offering that wasn't available in some form at Disneyland (my home park). I could go to Disneyland and buy it there. Alas not everyone can do that. They live too far away and may not be aware of how to get a Duffy directly through the theme parks (They do still do that?). That's who this Duffy merchandise rollout is for. At this point in time I don't view it as a brand demise but a brand extension. I think it's too soon to call.
    That photo of the Duffy display seems to show that the CM who set it had no idea how to display merchandise. The big Duffy should have been on the top shelf to draw attention. Your display has to stand out. You want people to be drawn to it. It looks like the shelves are adjustable. Another problem solved. Adjust the shelves so the product fits and looks right!
    The Duffy items from Japan are beautiful. Japan really strives to produce a superior product. I just wish that would be applied to products in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Also, Aimster, you owe me $17. Enabler. Dusty the Arizona Bear! Since I bought him on Statehood Day. (Don't mind the tag; I looked carefully for a well-sewn outfit--not sure I managed--and ignored the fact that the buttons didn't line up right at ALL, so I'm debating exchanging the outfit. It reminded me of how some folks I know in Arizona dress... )
    Haha!! That is an excellent idea, Eeee-va. We should all bill aimster for informing us that SmallFrys clothing fits 8" Duffies. Aimster, you can expect my bill in the mail shortly.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    …However I probably won't be buying it because what I read on the Disney Store website:
    "Mickey has a Disney Store exclusive patch sewn on his foot" (Note probably not the exact wording)
    I HATE those Disney Store exclusive patches that get sewn on the plush sold at the Disney Store. I find them visually distracting. I would not mind a tush tag saying this, but to actually have this on the plush, as if it's a part of them bothers me. I don't think people are that dumb as to not remember where their plush Mickey came from. I seem to be in the minority about this as my friend and countless Disney Store employees don't understand why it upsets me.
    Welcome, kindred spirit! I have that same feeling! It drives me crazy when they put the event logo under one of Duffy's shoes. Last year I actually bought the Spring Voyage shoes separately from an auction seller just to be able to make a logo-less pair with the costumes I'd already purchased. I did it for one of the "Be Magical" sets, too. On the plush is even worse, but I don't like it on costumes, either. I suppose at least it's memorial in the case of park events. For the Stores it just seems silly.

At this point in time I don't view it as a brand demise but a brand extension. I think it's too soon to call.
    If I were comparing it to the US launch, I suppose I'd agree with you. But the more I thought about this yesterday, the more upset I got. Duffy fans in Japan who've loved Duffy for nearly a decade have no online or local store alternative. Here fans must pay to get themselves to the Resort, pay to enter TDS, and often stand in very long lines. Fans in Japan can only get Duffy merchandise at four shops, and only in DisneySEA. TDL AP-holders would have to buy a ticket to buy Duffy.

Imagine you're a Duffy fan from Okinawa or Sapporo who visited TDS on a school trip in 2004 or 2005. You instantly understood Duffy as emblematic of the Tokyo DisneySEA park experience and the Japanese/OLC approach to Disney quality, even if you didn't understand what you were feeling at the time. Since 2004 you've collected all the merchandise, winning very inflated auctions when you had to, and making the long and expensive journey back to TDS as often as you could.

Or you're from Tokyo, and you bought the AP every year primarily to be able to purchase Duffy goods; you're actually happy making only one or two special trips to the Parks per year, and your friends actually prefer TDL, so even though you have the AP, you also buy a separate ticket for those trips.

Small prices to pay for something that actually generates real happiness in my heart on eye contact, right? I'm not saying I don't understand how easier access is good, but it is a double-edged sword at best. I do personally feel that it's part of the Duffy experience to make some effort. It's part of the fuel that powers that magical happiness generator.

Even putting that aside, though, the attitude that America can stride in and redefine Duffy quality standards and distribution processes in ways that remove the premium exclusivity element is pretty arrogant. When you consider that they take the Japanese story, too, but remove a lot of it's specific charm and message, it starts to border on offensive. But when you think about the fact that you've wanted people around the world to have and love Duffy for years, only to see it handled in this way, motivated by nothing but apparent avarice, your blood really begins to boil. When it becomes clear that their subpar quality standards and staggering marketing power may actually be sufficient to threaten tarnishing the brand image for huge numbers of people overseas, you feel compelled to act.

And when you realize that their "creative team" are becoming household names among international fans while youve still never heard the name of Duffy's creator, the authors or illustrators of the storybooks, the designers of the costumes and merchandise, the architects of Sweet Duffy or Spring Voyage…then you wanna get those people overseas to care, too. You wanna break down the walls and make sure they know the truth, because you know in your heart that if they are connecting to the same energy you connect to with this character, they do not want to be part of this scheme and they will not accept seeing Duffy abused in this way.

While Monty Maldovan is repeatedly defended and lauded, the Tokyo creators get no mention. These unsung artists picked Duffy out of Disney's trash heap, named him (and created ShellieMay), crafted the original Cape Cod story and developed its ambiance (which the US butchered) and continue to bring their love, pouring their hearts and talents into every release, several times a year. They still remain anonymous and uncredited for their work.

Don't misunderstand. I don't think Japanese fans want Duffy to be convenient. He is understood as the TDS mascot, and the effort invested to obtain Duffy goods simply makes them that much more precious.

But why should fans who've invested so much in this character because of what he means to us — because of what he means — why should we just silently accept our beloved hero being pirated away, his creators unacknowledged, and his convenient accessibility diluting his "specialness." The fact that you basically have to make the very expensive decision to be an AP-holder to be a serious Duffy collector (or spend a lot on auctions) is part of what creates and cements the bond. Duffy has to be important or one simply doesn't bother. Either you're a Duffy maniac like me or you had a very special day at TDS or you don't buy Duffy, but it isn't possible to have casually picked up Duffy on the cheap in a store around the corner from your house where you didn't have to pay admission…or maybe you didn't even leave your house (except auctions). Duffy makes you want to be at DisneySEA. Duffy makes you open your heart to that part of yourself that is moved by something like Duffy — and prioritize it. You value that child-heart, nurture it, reward it, deepen it and make it strong enough to be a light even through Cape Cod's cold, stormy winters.

That's what Duffy means and has always meant here, and making the whole experience cheap and easy for Americans just because everyone won't make the effort is a fundamental dilution of the brand. I'd venture to say it's just not even comparably the same thing at all anymore. In Japan, Duffy adoption requires commitment and effort, just like Duffy design and Duffy marketing. Making those things easy or removing them altogether, does not extend the brand; it eradicates it.

…The Duffy items from Japan are beautiful. Japan really strives to produce a superior product. I just wish that would be applied to products in the U.S.
    I honestly believe out-of-park availability destroys this, too. The magic of the displays at McDuck's Department Store and Aunt Peg's Village Store really make it feel like you're bringing Duffy home from a fantastically impossible world of perfected Americana. Galleria Disney is more of a typical Disney Store vibe, but extra gorgeous. The Sleepy Whale is also more "Disney," and I don't think Duffy thematically belongs there, but I love the exterior theming.

Making Duffy available from The Disney Store rather than shops so thoroughly themed that they really exist inside the imagination, and making it less of an effort to connect to, does definitely lessen the brand by fundamentally altering the formula and the resulting experience. Even taking Duffy to TDL would have this effect; Cape Cod in TDS is Duffy's hometown. It would be somehow worth the changes to Duffy if Duffy was bringing his full-on magic to these more common, less inspired distribution channels. If it still felt like Duffy, I'd rejoice.

But Americans leading Duffy toward lower quality, less charm, less effort (for both creators and fans) and tooting their horns as they march Duffy on toward mediocrity — this is not something I'll celebrate. I am ashamed of it. Both Duffy and Disney should be better than that.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-15-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added paragraphs 2~5 to the second response section, about J-fans — "Imagine you're…abused in this way."

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I know it's hard for you, DuffyD, to believe that Monty honestly cares about Duffy, but I believe he truly does. He even has Duffy as his profile photo on his personal Facebook page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I have to agree with aimster on this statement. I would not have thought so, but after talking to him in person, I could tell he wasn't just saying what he thought I wanted to hear.
    I hope you're right. I'm really looking forward to being proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    YOU'RE KILLING ME! How can you leave me hanging like that!
    Oops! I forgot. I'll do that now…^^

Hi DuffyD,
    I understand your passion and by no means was trying to get you upset. I guess here in the States, most are resigned to the fact that Disney products are everywhere and most people don't care. I am not one of those people. I was just trying to see the Duffy rollout from a marketing standpoint but I didn't have all the facts.
    Your passion for Duffy mirrors my passion for 'Peanuts". I love Snoopy and have spent time and money trying to obtain items for my collection. Just like Duffy in Japan, "Peanuts" items from Japan are highly coveted by American collectors because of the quality and creativity behind them. My prize piece is an elaborate Girl's Day set with several "Peanuts" characters dressed in traditional attire.
    I do hope to get a dressable Duffy bear someday, but I will buy it at Disneyland.
    If Tokyo Disney Sea ever does Duffy and Shelli May in equestrian attire (my other passion is horses) I will be all over it!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast