Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

gurgi-His eyes look weird in pictures, but in real life it is very cute!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I got this as a Christmas present from my husband (they sell them in the parks) and the pictures make it look horrible! It is much cuter in person, but obviously not everyone's "cup o' tea". I love sparkly things with crystals, so it's right up my alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    gurgi-His eyes look weird in pictures, but in real life it is very cute!
    My mom has one of these. I've seen them in person a few times (both in the parks and the one my mom has) and even in person, his eyes are freaky looking to me. He looks possessed or something. But if people like it, more power to them. It's just not something I'll be adding to my own collection.

I have seen that on disney store online several times and something about it creeps me out. I believe it's the eyes. And it's just not cute to me so I see no point in wasting the money for it.

Went to my local Disney Store today. The Duffy display was in the front of the store. No special signage, but they had the large Mickey holding Duffy facing out to the entrance which was very smart. It caught my eye immediately. All the Duffy sizes were there. They only had four outfits: Sailor, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Buzz, and Woody. They also had the Vinylmation figure. The smaller Mickey with the Duffy bear was nice, but a bit pricey for it's size in my opinion. At least the Duffy bears don't have that Disney Store exclusive tag.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

First I'd like to just chime in that the Arribas Brothers crystal figure became available at DisneySEA last year and personally I felt that pictures really didn't do it justice. While I do absolutely believe it would be much cuter with just solid brown or black crystals as eyes (like the Halloween Dream straps from 2011 and the Sweet Duffy straps from 2009), I didn't find it to be "creepy" in person. The biggest gripe I had with it is Duffy's name on the hat. I'd hoped if it ever came to TDS, these changes would be made, and the red scarf changed to blue to match My Friend Duffy. Had these changes been made, I would definitely buy it, as it's the perfect size and "bling" to serve as some kind of "ancient idol" for fun photos of the bear pair in Lost River Delta.^^

Onto the real "fluff" now…

I do not subscribe to the philosophy that says lower quality Duffy is better than no Duffy at all. My belief is that an essential element that defines the Duffy brand is a golden high quality standard. There are no tiers, there are no cheap alternatives. There's just Duffy, and that is what makes him matter. I can appreciate the virtue of Duffy being accessible to folks who can't spend $40 on a bear, each outfit, and then other merchandise… But what Disney is doing is not about reaching fans who unfortunately can't afford Duffy; it's about making Duffy so cheap and available that people feel compelled to get "that new Mickey bear thing," whether they really want (or even understand) him or not. When Duffy was limited to the parks, the quality/price difference is less an issue. If you can afford the parks, you can afford Duffy. And that's as it should be. As Mgmenning says in another thread, the strategy for Duffy was — and should have stayed — unique. In fact, rather than roll him out to Disney Stores, contributing further to his inevitable genericide, they should have done as TDS did when Duffy finally started catching on with kids as much as collectors and created a deluxe line like Cannery Clothing Company. They also should have kept him in the parks…did I say that?

What makes that designer sports car, suit or handbag valuable is the reward you've earned for yourself. The quality — and the rarity — are part of the experience. If suddenly Ferrari makes cheap cars and sells them at every outlet possible, the cars that people spent decades saving for suddenly seem a little less impressive. The brand suffers. They're expensive because of the effort that goes into designing them and that effort — plus one's own keen sense to appreciate, value and demand it — are what make these products desirable.

A cheaper produced, common version of Duffy without the support of fully themed seasonal merchandise releases may last a little longer, but it's only delaying the inevitable. If we continue down the road to mediocrity, the character is still doomed to be a flash in the pan flop. He's gonna be abandoned either way. Only this way, before he gets abandoned because all the elements that differentiate him as a "product" in a competitive market have been stripped away, he also becomes apparently "not that special." This is absolutely unacceptable to me. I'd rather not add to the loss of availability by also ruining the name OLC gave him and invested with fresh, heartfelt meaning. The character the OLC has successfully created and brought to life is better than this; the Disney bear without all that genuine investment is, as has already been proven, a dud. Ethics aside, it is a better business strategy to do Duffy right, or not at all.

What makes Duffy a success is that he is special as a physical object in the real world. His costumes are special. His marketing is special — seasonal, rhythmic — always fresh, but also familiar as we travel together through the unfolding years. Duffy's availability is limited, tied to the park experience where he has a clear sense of place (and time) and where our senses are literally heightened and everything feels magical. The OLC added all of these elements within a year of offering "the Disney Bear." This approach was part and parcel to the Duffy name itself. This is what "Duffy" means. This is what made Duffy a success. This is how Duffy gets to be a bonafide classic character forever. Just like in the storybook, in our real world he has to be special. But you're right, Gurgi, it's probably already too late.

Is it better to drag it out and spread the subpar image so that no one outside Japan really cares about Duffy at all, until the oversaturated marketing that alienated park guests alienates everyone so that even when they see Cape Cod Duffy they only shrug or sneer? Or is it better for Disney to let him go? Do we really want to be forced to cling to our image of the character we love in spite of a cartoon show which characterizes Duffy as a cute little idiot? What if the show breaks with the character completely and yet is very popular with four-year-olds? Do we really want to challenge ourselves not to cringe when we see even the Duffy we love? I don't.

Being just a cute teddy bear is not what makes Duffy work. Belonging to Mickey isn't it. My Duffy doesn't belong to Mickey. And in the original Japanese story at least, every Duffy is Duffy (not "just like" Mickey's Duffy) — and Duffy belongs to himself. Having a television show or film is not the key. Duffy's story is told through direct experience and deep merchandise events. Not this is not "different Duffy." It is not Duffy.

Duffy is a special teddy bear because as a piece of merchandise, he is a very special teddy bear. As a teddy bear, Duffy is special. Take this away and there's just the design that already failed to win people over. Already park exclusivity is gone, costumes are overly simple and available for too long in too many places, there is no sense of place with Cape Cod and there is no cohesively themed seasonal merchandise to add constant variety. So now that Duffy is in Disney Stores and online, other than a few "Micktoos" and lower quality/less variety costumes, what is it really that differentiates him from Build-A-Bear? We can't have it both ways. We can't say we want Duffy, but then accept the washing away of everything that name means and still call it Duffy.

I can put a Rolls-Royce hood ornament on an old beat-up Pinto, but that won't make it a Rolls-Royce, not even if I reupholster the seats and have it painted. Not even after a tune-up.

All that said, a completely separate line at Disney Stores, not available in the parks — and vice-versa — as long as it coincides with a more OLC approach to both quality and marketing, might work. Although, honestly, I think park exclusivity is key. Did I already say that?

Ok, I have two very simple questions. Are the Duffys I bought 3 years ago when they were first released waffle weave or different?? Our Duffy's have been slept with every night since and I have no idea what they started out looking like. Is the quality of the TDS bear far superior to the ones I own?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

You'd have to post photos, Colleen. But if you have to ask, it's either not the waffle fur or the waffle fur doesn't bother you. Some people may even prefer it. I feel like I remember a brief time, like a month or three, in 2009 or 2010 when there were three slightly different Duffys available here: classic, "Chinese"/"manga" (produced in China, very round heads, extremely rare…Janell has one.*), and the waffle fur. I'm kind of wondering if the variants were actually mistakes, and if WDC is selling off that stock. Japanese fans did not respond well to the fur change, although "manga" Duffy has some solid fans and occasionally commands secondary market prices comparable to the old color Disney Bears. Those manga bears are cute! Hopefully Janell will post photos.

Colleen-If you got your Duffy bear in Fall of 2010 or early 2011, it was before the "waffle fur" started. They also had bigger ears at that time! I got mine before the change and I'm so glad, cuz I love his big ol' ears. aimster also has the original US version of Duffy.
    I would love to see pictures of Janell's "manga" style Duffy. I don't think I've seen that version!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I do not subscribe to the philosophy that says lower quality Duffy is better than no Duffy at all.
    What bothers me most regarding quality is that the price of US Disney's items aren't that different from TDS's, IGNORING quality. In fact, I believe it's when the items appear to be identical that there's the BIGGEST price difference.

When the 17" Duffy came out initially, I understand he was the same quality as TDS's Duffy, for $25. I guess it's possible that Disney put out the bear himself as a "loss leader," hoping that people would buy him and then a costume (which they'd profit on). I don't personally think they LOST money on the sale of a $25 Duffy, but think it's more likely that the profit may not have been as big as they wanted. Regardless, they raised the price to $30 and ALSO decreased the quality!

Given that OLC pays some level of royalty to Disney on merchandise sold, and given that almost always, similar items are cheaper in America than in Japan, I can't see why the $30 price point for the same quality Duffy would not be sustainable in the US. (If it's not, then I don't understand how they could think starting him at $25 would give them the profits they wanted.)

On the clothes, given that most US Duffy outfits are just a hat and a shirt, the price per piece for TDS and US outfits is fairly comparable, yet the quality on the TDS outfits is so much higher. Comparing (fancy) apples to (cheaper) apples, the TDS sailor outfit is 3000 yen (3 pieces) and the US sailor outfit is $17 (2 pieces). Even that is a fairly comparable price per piece (TDS's version is currently $32 for 3 pieces, or $10.67 per piece, while the US is $8.50 per piece before taxes). The cost difference is more pronounced when you get a TDS outfit that has shoes.

One could argue that TDS has economies of scale that the US doesn't, though I'm not sure if that's a major factor.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the lower-quality Duffy items in the US seem to be primarily created to maximize the difference between production cost and selling price (and perhaps occasionally allow for sales)--not with any intention (or effect!) of making Duffy "affordable."

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    What bothers me most regarding quality is that the price of US Disney's items aren't that different from TDS's, IGNORING quality. In fact, I believe it's when the items appear to be identical that there's the BIGGEST price difference.

…I don't personally think they LOST money on the sale of a $25 Duffy, but think it's more likely that the profit may not have been as big as they wanted. Regardless, they raised the price to $30 and ALSO decreased the quality!

Given that OLC pays some level of royalty to Disney on merchandise sold, and given that almost always, similar items are cheaper in America than in Japan, I can't see why the $30 price point for the same quality Duffy would not be sustainable in the US…

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the lower-quality Duffy items in the US seem to be primarily created to maximize the difference between production cost and selling price (and perhaps occasionally allow for sales)--not with any intention (or effect!) of making Duffy "affordable."
    You always manage to make my point more effectively, and in less words.

this was right after we got our Duffy's on the Disney Wonder October 2010

• <45 days

Colleen, I don't see a picture. Were you posting one?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Colleen, I don't seen a photo either. You need to upload your photos to a photo hosting site like Photobucket (you can get a free account there) then copy/paste the [IMG] links into your posts.

I give up trying to learn how to post pictures!!! I am way to old for technology . I got the photo bucket app and added some pics but can't figure out how to add them here! So frustrated...http://s1285.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=7
    Last edited by Colleen; 02-18-2013 at 07:41 PM.

• <45 days

no go Colleen.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast