Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

I agree about the Disney stores. They are nothing like what they use to be! They do seem to be more of a big toy store now.

And I also agree about Limited Time Magic. At least in WDW, they are not doing much to draw me in. I'm gonna be there anyway, so I just end up taking part anyway.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure I like the Disney Store idea with Duffy. At least in the parks the cast members are there who can tell people about Duffy. I've met so many cast members who just LOVE Duffy (and Shellie May)! And he's not just another bear!

Higher ups in big companies like Disney are just looking at one thing, the bottom line. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to change. We the fans just have to hope that things don't take a turn for the worst. At least they are trying and not just letting Duffy fall to the wayside.

As much as Disney can be accused of being lazy I don't think that is the case with Duffy. Japan and the United States have two drastically different cultures going on. In the US young girls are being taught to be sexy, to attract the attention of boys, and dress older than they are. This translations into adult women acting the same way. In Japan young girls are taught being cute is valued what with a culture surrounded by cute. Each culture has its good points and bad points but they are both very different.

So when it comes to Duffy both cultures are approaching the situation differently to separate the consumer's money from their wallets. Which is what is being done in both places just in Japan it is embraced more because of the high level of sophistication behind it. In Japan their consumer base for Duffy are young ladies with a lot of disposal income. Even when you look around the parks it is mainly couples and groups of young ladies dashing to rides where the parks in the US are way more diverse if not have more kids in them. So when your target audience are teenagers and young ladies with tons of cash to blow and are totally caught up in the trends of cute clothes and cute things it is easy to see how they combine the two and can charge out the nose for Duffy, Shellie May, and all their outfits, many limited edition to create a need to buy them now.

That is never going to happen in the US. Ever. Toys are for kids and the only exception to that rule seems to be video games. Sure we on this board love Duffy but we are the minority. If businesses catered to the minority they would go out of business. So as much as we want Japanese Duffy to come to the US he isn't. He can't based on the culture we live in, with many people getting stared at for liking things "below" their age group. So I don't see Disney as being lazy with Duffy, just working with the culture they are in. So if that means toddler Duffy shows so be it. As long as all the outfits aren't juvenile that's fine. Because we are never going to get $50 outfits here, not when the target audience is going to be kids. Maybe over time this could change but it would take a long time and it still won't ever be like Japan.
    Last edited by tenchikiss; 01-28-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling is hard

Thanks, tenchikiss...I think that your explanation is more what I was trying to convey, but couldn't get the words across. (And I didn't mean that Disney was lazy, I meant the average American consumer.)

We all love Duffy! And as long at TDS is keeping Duffy and Shellie May going, that will always be where my heart lies! I love Japan and wish I could move there too! We will just have to accept that there will be two different Duffy cultures. And once Paris and Hong Kong jump on the band wagon, there will be 3 and then 4.

I think Disney certainly can be lazy (IE some of this "limited time magic".....events) but with Duffy I definitely think they are trying but you can't change the customers overnight. I think they are doing the best they can. I am sure they have studied consumer habits and know the breaking point on stuffed animals and clothes. I am also sure it has to do with the fact you can buy Disney stuff just about everywhere and they have to compete with that. They really can't charge Japanese prices for a bear when Walmart has 8 Dollar Mickey plushies. And since they can't charge 50 dollars they have to take a hit on the quality of the clothes and perhaps market a little less.

Kids today will be the first really exposed to Duffy and maybe they will grow up and give Duffy to their kids and so on and thereforth. Sometimes we just have to go through a growing period to make something known.

If I lived in Japan I would be so seriously broke. Happy but broke. Would feel nice not being the only one snapping pictures of Duffy all over the place. XD

• Munchings & Crunchings

I understand and agree that the cultures in the US and Japan are very different. And, yes, here in America we are a fairly cynical bunch, and tend to say "toys are for kids". Of course, there are subgroups of fans who collect toys. Lots of different types. Many adults collect Star Wars, or other Sci-fi action figures. There's a HUGE comic book industry that generates profits from toys, but adults buy those too, or otherwise we would not have these massive comic conventions all over the country, or blockbuster movies. The thing is, it depends on the toys, and it also depends on the groups collecting. We have really become a judgmental society when it comes to what people collect, or watch. So, adults who carry plush toys around are looked a little strangely. Not by everyone, of course, but by a lot of people. Those same people might have something they collect that others might think is weird, but we also compartmentalize well.

The thing about Duffy, is that yeah, over here he really can't break from the Toddler or little kid marketing efforts, because, well, like you said, toys are for kids. In Japan, there is only one Duffy brand, and the level of quality is consistent. The only "levels" they have are the recent higher-end Cannery Clothing Company outfits. Those are likely strictly for adults, or people with lots of income who have no problem spending that much on bear clothes for their kids to play with and mess up. Also, things like the jewelry and the "year bears". Obviously made strictly as collectibles. It works, because that's the audience.

That said, I don't think Disney has to totally discount adult collectors with Duffy either. Yes, most things will be designed for kids, and to be child-safe. But, they could have limited, more expensive costumes for fans. Say, at limited events, or for attractions, or special seasonal offerings. It's very possible for Disney to have their cake and eat it too, but they seem to be focusing on the kids. I really think they could still have a marketing-within-marketing effort for Duffy, and make sure to keep adult fans interested in him.

I think that if they have Duffy on Disney Channel and market him to toddlers, then they have doomed themselves. But, we don't know that that is the case, yet...I think Disney knows that there are adults out there who are Duffy crazy. Most of the people walking around the parks with Duffy are cast members and adult passholders. I've just recently noticed a larger amount of children with him, but even then, they are older children. And I do see a lot of teen girls with Duffy now too! So we will just have to see how it pans out. As for the clothing thing, if Duffy takes off in the U.S., then maybe Disney will realize that the adult fans will pay more for nice outfits. I think Disney may not realize that adult fans are willing to pay more for excellent quality in the U.S. Corporate Disney needs to realize that we are out there!

I believe that if the people making these various decisions just walked through the park and saw who Duffy appeals to more they might actually see that adults are the ones who really carry him around. Sure children may get them sometimes however, it is the adults who pay for it. And the adults who should be the audience for Duffy. I hope that Duffy's story and all the hard work OLC put into him will not fade away. I am afraid it will happen though. Maybe if Disney gave Duffy his own spot in the parks like OLC did we would see a bigger response. Right now he's just a random bear in the parks that noone really knows about. Disney needs to tell his story and show the public what he's about. I adore my Duffy and actually like him better then the generic characters Disney has created.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I know I've said a lot here already, LOL, but I have more.

Disney certainly doesn't have to NOT cater to kids with Duffy. I think they really can straddle the line between both. Have tons of affordable, cute costumes that kids can play with, and then make a limited, more expensive "collector" line for adults. Disney has even done limited edition plush in the past, and do they really think the market for those is children? No, they know adult collectors are buying the numbered, limited Mickey plush, and likely displaying him.

I think Disney can keep the childlike spirit of Duffy, and make kids fall in love with him, but at the same time acknowledging the adults who love him too.

It's really interesting to hear you guys say that the people you see in the parks carrying Duffy are adults, and older children. That gives me some hope. I wonder if some of that, especially with teenage girls, is the fact that he's popular in Japan, so he should be popular here. That has happened with Japanese Anime, and certain Japanese characters too, so again, that's a good thing, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I wonder if some of that, especially with teenage girls, is the fact that he's popular in Japan, so he should be popular here. That has happened with Japanese Anime, and certain Japanese characters too, so again, that's a good thing, in my book.
    ^This is exactly what I was thinking, gurgi!

And I think we could all keep adding and talking about this! It's interesting to hear everyone's ideas and thoughts on this news.

I think to reach the adult demographic Disney would need to step up the packaging. The cloths on hangers works at build a bear since that is how the entire store is set up. But the way Duffy is in stores now he is pushed in rooms with other stuffed animals (even though, at least at Downtown Disney the rooms are mainly about him). If they want to attract on older audience who can spend a little more on themselves packaging is very important, make the item look worth buying. The Peter Pan outfit is a good start but I think it needs to be across the board, with limited edition outfits getting a different color package and maybe a pin. Get the pin crowd involved and Duffy should take off right away.

They also should bring Shelli over sooner rather than later. Dolling up a girl bear is easier than a male bear.

Truly if they want to make Duffy a cash cow to all ages they need to pull out all the stops. Adult clothing and purses and what nots in the adult section of stores, not shoving Duffy off in the stuffed animals. What is the worse that can happen if it doesn't take off?

Worst case scenario-we lose Duffy all together.

I kind of agree on them waiting to bring Shellie May over to the U.S. I think Duffy needs to stand on his own first.

But I am constantly having people ask me where I got Shellie May. Especially little girls around the 10-12 age bracket. I just talked to a little girl this weekend about her! I actually enjoy talking to people about her. It just annoys me when people call her Duffy. But then it just opens up a conversation!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I agree with tenchikiss 150,000% — go BIG or go home!

I remember a Disney that could be bold enough to lead "consumers," to guide people to a vision they dream to life. I want nothing less than that. The delay with ShellieMay feels to me like holding something back for one last cash-generating hurrah (that requires no really original development) if the current marketing doesn't work.

The cultures are different, sure, but teddy bear collecting is a global culture. It is Disney's failure to reach those people who would respond, or to create something so compelling that consumers just can't help themselves. Duffy is not a success in Japan because there just happened to be a million people willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a teddy bear already. The Design Team brought their A-game and dared people not to respond. They took risks and wore their shiny, fluffy hearts right on their sleeves. They created with the artistic vision and integrity akin to Mary Blair and Walt Disney — and consumers were compelled and inspired to respond.

Even shackled to CSPA rules, that's a design constraint that professional designers see as a challenge to work within, not an excuse to hide behind. I won't make excuses for Disney. The Disney I love is better than that.^^

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

I’m ambivalent about this announcement regarding Disney’s expansion of (their) Duffy line. I’m excited that Disney has firmly decided to further promote Duffy. Obviously, his expansion into Disney stores is a marketing ploy to increase Disney’s profits; however, the easier access to Duffy and his merchandise could potentially foster and increase love for Duffy, especially amongst developing Duffy enthusiasts who absolutely adore him but whose incomes (i.e. other financial obligations) limit the Disney merchandise and outfits they can purchase. Consider the families, couples, and individuals who don’t live near a Disney theme park. Their primary recourse for ordering Duffy merchandise is via online or via the phone, both of which automatically imply shipping charges. Let’s say someone would like to purchase two (2) outfits or one (1) outfit and a 12” inch younger sibling. Either purchase includes an $8.00 shipping fee which, to a developing Duffeteer, is money that could have been allocated to purchasing additional Duffy merchandise. Upon realizing that the shipping fee equates to approximately one-third to one-half the cost of an additional Duffy item, some Duffeteers may postpone their purchases until they can eventually visit a Disney theme park. Merchandise availability in Disney stores means developing enthusiast can more freely pursue their new interest because shipping fees can be excluded from the equation.

I’m further excited about the fact that Disney stores will feature their own Duffy merchandise in addition to theme park-related items. Don’t get me wrong. I love dressing Duffy and Shellie May as pirates, mad hatters, sorcerers with light-up hats, and Jedi masters with working light sabers, and Duffy and Shellie May love pretending to be Captain Jack Sparrow, the Mad Hatter, the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, and Obi Wan Kenobi, Luke, Yoda, and other famous Jedis. And I love Build-a-Bear’s clothing options. However, I do wish Disney would release regular/casual clothing for Duffy that resembles some of the clothing items they sell for adults and kids. While I do enjoy creating clothing and ensembles for my bears that express (and are extensions of my own and) our quirky loves, likes, and interests, such as Puscifer, M83, Tron: Legacy, and comic book characters, the process can be laborious and tedious. So it would be nice if Disney stores sold Duffy-sized Jack Skellington hoodies, Winnie the Pooh t-shirts, Eeyore hats, and so forth.

My excitement wanes, though, when I consider that Disney may not introduce such items at all. They may just rehash some of the character outfits sold at Build-a-Bear that are no longer available…which is still a good thing because people who missed out can enjoy said outfits. It’s just not what I wanted. My wishful thinking further diminishes when I consider Disney’s quality record and its implications about the upcoming merchandise, which will soon be more readily available to the public, and about the subsequent public perception of Duffy. Disney’s Duffy merchandise quality pales in comparison to that of TDS and OLC’s. In fact, to be blunt, the quality is cheap. I know child safety regulations factor into the production process, but Build-a-Bear produces nicer merchandise, so Disney doesn’t really have an excuse. People want bang for their buck, and Disney’s tactic could backfire. If Disney continues to release the same low quality (insert word of your choice) when they introduce their Disney store-exclusive merchandise, a larger quantity of people will be introduced to and consequently come to realize the low caliber side of Disney. Upon encountering low quality Duffy bears and clothing at their local Disney stores, people will be hesitant to purchase any Duffy merchandise from any Disney outlet whether it’s in-store, online, via the phone, or at the parks. More people may eventually perceive Duffy as some people currently view him: as a marketing ploy created for the sole purpose of increasing Disney’s profit margin. Disney forgets that if people are disappointed with Duffy and his clothing at Disney stores, Build-a-Bear offers a suitable alternative. In other words, if Disney fails with Duffy in stores, then said failure may have real consequences for Duffy’s future.

I know some people dislike Duffy and view him as a parsimonious marketing ploy simply because he does not have an animated backstory (i.e. movie or television show). I wonder if such opinions are the reasons why Disney is producing a Duffy television show. I too would love for the show to have a larger audience demographic, but I doubt the show will target any demographic other than toddlers. Given the success of shows and movies, such as Family Guy, The Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants, Shrek, etc., with both their target and non-target adult audiences, it would be a shame if Disney geared the show exclusively towards toddlers.

If Disney wants to foster and promote Duffy love, they need to take the Tokyo DisneySea and Oriental Land Company approach. They don’t have to imitate everything TDS and OLC does with Duffy, but they at the very least need to accept TDS and OLC’s approach to quality. As some have stated, Disney would be wise to also duplicate TDS and OLC’s two-tier product line of regular and more expensive merchandise. Disney already offers reasonable and (sometimes astronomically) expensive products for some of their various merchandising lines, so why not do the same for Duffy? While it would be awesome if Disney acknowledged Oriental Land Company and Tokyo DisneySea, I’m doubtful they will. But it would be nice if the television show (bonus if it’s not geared solely for toddlers) had American Duffy visiting and interacting with his relatives in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, etc. so that people could learn more about the origins and backstory of all the Duffies. According to Disney, Duffy was designed to be a customizable companion in the shape of a bear who loves to travel with his human companion. His travels are your travels, and everything about him is an extension and a reflection of you. If Disney remembers and inflects this sentiment into their renewed Duffy merchandising, while simultaneously improving their quality, then Duffy will achieve his destiny and become the companion bear he was truly meant to be.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    …My wishful thinking further diminishes when I consider Disney’s quality record and its implications about the upcoming merchandise, which will soon be more readily available to the public, and about the subsequent public perception of Duffy. Disney’s Duffy merchandise quality pales in comparison to that of TDS and OLC’s. In fact, to be blunt, the quality is cheap. I know child safety regulations factor into the production process, but Build-a-Bear produces nicer merchandise, so Disney doesn’t really have an excuse. People want bang for their buck, and Disney’s tactic could backfire. If Disney continues to release the same low quality (insert word of your choice) when they introduce their Disney store-exclusive merchandise, a larger quantity of people will be introduced to and consequently come to realize the low caliber side of Disney. Upon encountering low quality Duffy bears and clothing at their local Disney stores, people will be hesitant to purchase any Duffy merchandise from any Disney outlet whether it’s in-store, online, via the phone, or at the parks. More people may eventually perceive Duffy as some people currently view him: as a marketing ploy created for the sole purpose of increasing Disney’s profit margin. Disney forgets that if people are disappointed with Duffy and his clothing at Disney stores, Build-a-Bear offers a suitable alternative. In other words, if Disney fails with Duffy in stores, then said failure may have real consequences for Duffy’s future.

…If Disney wants to foster and promote Duffy love, they need to take the Tokyo DisneySea and Oriental Land Company approach. They don’t have to imitate everything TDS and OLC does with Duffy, but they at the very least need to accept TDS and OLC’s approach to quality.

…According to Disney, Duffy was designed to be a customizable companion in the shape of a bear who loves to travel with his human companion. His travels are your travels, and everything about him is an extension and a reflection of you. If Disney remembers and inflects this sentiment into their renewed Duffy merchandising, while simultaneously improving their quality, then Duffy will achieve his destiny and become the companion bear he was truly meant to be.

I really do think that the loss of park exclusivity damages Duffy, but I can also see your point about consumer budgeting. What I do not accept, though, is a more convenient lower quality Duffy. Good designers balance regulations, budgets, margins and vision — and world-class designers qualified to work at Disney should be able to work within all of these constraints and still be committed to producing something wonderful. The quality difference and visible effort gap that currently exists is neither wholly attributable to CSPA nor remotely proportionate to the difference in cost, even when considering the exchange rate. I will throw my full support behind the Disney Stores release…if the results are impressive. I suppose we'll know soon enough. I'll admit to feeling a little twinge of anticipation. And even, in spite of myself, a little hope.^^

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    That said, I don't think Disney has to totally discount adult collectors with Duffy either. Yes, most things will be designed for kids, and to be child-safe. But, they could have limited, more expensive costumes for fans. Say, at limited events, or for attractions, or special seasonal offerings. It's very possible for Disney to have their cake and eat it too, but they seem to be focusing on the kids. I really think they could still have a marketing-within-marketing effort for Duffy, and make sure to keep adult fans interested in him.
    I would LOVE to see this! Honestly, with CPSIA, I don't think their lawyers would let them make any Duffy outfits not-child-safe--I believe the law is something along the lines of, if it appeals to kids, it has to pass the kids' "safety" tests--but they could still use good materials and pass the testing prices on to the consumer.

The $50 price point mentioned earlier is probably too steep for America, but it's feasible that US Disney COULD actually sell $40 bear outfits, marketed towards kids. Many of the new American Girl doll outfits are $34...a 6-piece Duffy outfit compares favorably with that. But Disney would have to market Duffy as an heirloom, not just a toy. (And they'd probably need Shellie May, yes.)

I don't think Disney WILL do that, but they could.

Since I'm about 7 hours away from the nearest Disney park and about 15-20 minutes away from the nearest Disney store, I'm interested to see what they do with him in my backyard, so to speak. If the clothes are of the same quality of the recent Disney US releases, I think I'll at least end up smiling when I see Duffy locally. If the quality or design are better, that'd be really neat. It'd be interesting if people ended up bringing their Build-a-Bear animals to the Disney Store to get them some cute outfits...

(I understand concerns about diluting the brand and such, but I also feel like that ship has sailed. No pun intended.)

As to the Disney Channel thing, I know there is still very little awareness of Duffy as a character, so I see why they'd want Duffy on TV. But I personally hope it's just a short special or even very brief appearances (like cute 5-second Duffy segments in-between shows or whatever). I'm not sure WHAT they could do more than that, unless they give Duffy an entourage, and I'm not sure who that would be. Sounds like it won't be Shellie May, and I think Mickey, Minnie, and company have their own show, unless Duffy goes over there. (I'm assuming they won't just steal Duffy's friends from Cape Cod...actually, they might use Tippy Blue...)

But I'm wary of Duffy having his own show, or even just his own segment on another show. Even if it WERE well-done and NOT aimed squarely at toddlers, the more Duffy talks and lives on TV, the more I feel like THAT view of Duffy will become what everyone expects him to be.

A storybook doesn't bother me much because it's just one story, and still images with sparse words leaves a LOT of room for interperetation. Tokyo DisneySea's shows and short stories don't bother me because 1) they have earned the right to portray the character they created (if not initially designed) however they want, 2) I like all I've seen of their portrayals, and 3) frankly I don't know Japanese, so I can still fill in a lot on my own.

I know Duffy was in a pirate show at Disneyland Paris and that was delightful because he was a small part of the show and he behaved how I expected. If the show had been 22 minutes of showing us how adorable childish Duffy is? Not so sure. If there were 30 different episodes of adorable childish Duffy on his wacky adventures? I might still think it's cute, but I'm afraid it would change how I viewed Duffy as a character.

Anyone ever watch the Simpsons episode where Lisa gets a talking Malibu Stacy (parody of Barbie) doll? Lisa expected the doll to say interesting, intelligent things, because that's how she saw the doll. But when she pulled the string the doll said things like "I wish they taught shopping in school!" and "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl. Tee hee hee!"

I just don't want ANYTHING to detract from the personalities people worldwide have given their Duffies, and I worry that a TV show might do that.

Well, I guess there's no sense in worrying about something I haven't seen and can't change anyway...but hey, it's MiceChat.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast