Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Is buying mass quantities of Duffy merchandise solely for resale as common in Japan as it is in the US? I'm not a "local" to Disneyland and even I've seen someone in Downtown Disney, buying up a pile of Duffy ears with his AP (or possibly receipt-coupon) discount. The CM helping us (cynically) noted the man was buying them to resell. Folks online even sell some of the Duffy items in quantities of 10!

Buying US items from one of those resellers on eBay is very nearly as easy as buying from the Disney Store online, and Disney loses out on the profit margin they'd have from selling non-discounted items directly to the consumer.

I'm not arguing that anyone's wrong about wanting to keep Duffy exclusive. But in this day and age, it's incredibly hard to really actually do it, even if they have item limits. When you can buy a lot of 10 9" Valentine's Duffies on eBay for $194.90, I can't help but feel like one reason the items disappear from the US stores is because people are buying just to turn a profit. It's probably not true (at least, I like to think the majority of purchasers are buying for themselves or as gifts), but I can't help but think it anyway.

It may happen, but it's certainly not as common. The three-item limit and non-discounted items make that much more challenging. Every time I shop, at least one CM eventually looks at me in some way as to make me feel very uncomfortable. The most fundamental rule of Japanese society is "BE NORMAL!" whatever that means, and if you are willing to stand out, you have openly given everyone around carte blanc to judge you harshly, albeit passive aggressively.

They think the way I pore over everything is weird. The food service people especially hate the way I check every mug and piece of wood for color irregularities and dings; I can't go through menu items and popcorn baskets myself, right? They have to hand them to me. I check and say no and see another one and say maybe and see another one and decide. They make me feel extremely uncomfortable, with CMs who have nothing to do with me staring over to be sure the foreigner is not terrorizing their colleague. Last time it was so bad that I didn't check carefully and ended up with a Casserole with a severe paint problem. Fortunately I got two, so the WLer got the good one. I'll exchange mine. There were also some serious paint issues with the eyes on some of the smartphone jack covers. Anyone shopping for other people must surely check for abnormalities VERY carefully, especially if they are approaching it as a business, and I don't think many people want to do that. The only time I've seen Japanese shoppers with basketsful and buying in groups is at the very start of an event, and in most cases I hear them talking about names of people they're shopping for and asking each other, "Which one is better for her?" Like that.^^ Most Japanese would not be at all comfortable with the judgmental stares and snickers from CMs and guests alike that come with buying merchandise in bulk.

Of course, there are still plenty of Yahoo! sellers. I imagine that the majority of them live near the resort, list items, and simply purchase and send them once the auction has sold. That's what I'd do. Otherwise, it's not really economical. The items are never discounted, the item limit is never waived. It's considerably harder to do here. Plus, most of us in Tokyo don't drive, so living nearby and making low-volume trips is the way to go.

I really wonder how much of Disney Duffy's sales figured are a product of reseller hoarders waiting for Duffy to get big so they can cash in. If Disney doesn't turn things around soon, those folks may be in for a Beanie Baby shock!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'd be willing to bet that the US buyers are doing it because they sell to resellers in Japan. I mean, what fan is going to purchase a lot of 10 Duffy items? I think that the ebay sellers here just see dollar signs with Duffy, because of the insane prices that the early Disney Bears go for. They probably think the Japanese fans are suckers. I really don't see those lots being bought up by US fans. It's a gamble, because you're buying up these items in bulk, hoping they'll sell.

I think DuffyD is right about the way the Japanese fans approach reselling. The ebay stores in Japan likely do what he said, and just go to the park to buy whatever items people are requesting, or they list something and go buy it. It's possible they might have one or two as a backup though, just in case the item sells out.

DuffyD, have you ever had to tell a CM that's giving you the eye that you're shopping for friends? Would they leave you alone if they knew you were doing what the Japanese fans are, picking for friends?

I explain that it's for an international Duffy fan club, but it still happens again. I don't mind, really. I know what it's about and that's good enough for me. Like I said, part of being a Duffy fan is caring enough to try. I'm proud of what I do, and I just smile and know that I'm supporting all of them, because on the whole OLC and the CMs of Tokyo Disney Resort make my life just a little more magical and bring me happiness and luck on a regular basis.^^

The person at the Disney Store today said that Duffy will be arriving on February 13th. Our store is quite small compared to other Disney Stores so I am not sure where the merchandise will go. Also the entire store front had been cleared out. I asked if Duffy was going in the window and the person said they never know what is going in the windows until the night before the set up. Maybe it will be Duffy as all their Valentine's stuff is set up already.

Thanks for the update, tenchikiss!^^ With Sweet Duffy moving into its last month and waiting for the Spring Voyage update, this Disney Store release is our "top story!"

I am going to try and be there on February 13th to see what if anything is "Disney Store exclusive". Holding out hope that the window display will be for Duffy but that seems pretty far away in retail days to have an empty window/window that offers things that aren't available yet. I can't seem to find any information about Duffy coming to the Disney Stores via the internets. I know the parks and stores aren't really connected but since Duffy got mentioned on the Disney Blogs a few days ago one would think they could mention Duffy's other ventures this month.

Be sure to take a camera, tenchikiss! We want detailed photos, displays, and pricing info! Photos that show texture and construction from various angles would be great, as Disney's official press photos tend not to represent details well. Despite myself, I'm still cautiously optimistic for a slam dunk!

I also am going to try to go on the 13th or the 15th. I'm anxious to see what they do with this. But I'm kind of surprised that there is not more hype surrounding it. I haven't seen anything online about it either. Too bad here in Orlando they couldn't do some event and have Duffy at the mall on that day! They've done cool events for the Disney Parks at the mall before.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got 2 Disney Stores in my neck of the woods. Closest is about 5 miles away. I'll probably go up there on the 13th and see what's what. I'm surprised there hasn't been any announcement about it. Makes me wonder how true it really is. If I go there on the 13th and see no Duffy, honestly... I would not be surprised.

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's possible that it will be different for different stores. Maybe there isn't a specific date for rollout? I have no idea. I can check my local one too around that time.

The wording the lady used at the Disney Store was "Duffy's Street Date". I am not sure if that meant they have him in the back already and are waiting for that date or if that means something else, like the tentative date.

Less than a week to go and seemingly no word... I'm starting to anticipate either a mind-blowingly wonderful surprise...or yet another Disney employee carelessly cranking the rumor mill...

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Less than a week to go and seemingly no word... I'm starting to anticipate either a mind-blowingly wonderful surprise...or yet another Disney employee carelessly cranking the rumor mill...
    Oh no, DuffyD, don't say that! We need to have faith that Disney will truly put some magic into US Duffy this time around. I'm going to visit my Disney store tomorrow and see if the employees have any information pertaining to "Duffy's Street Date." In the mean time, I'm going to find a Jiminy Cricket and ask him to help me sing When You Wish Upon a Star​.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast