Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

I wonder if the 20" plush (I assume it's a bear) is really priced lower than the 17" Duffy. The beanbag Duffy sounds tempting, but I love small bears.

Thanks for the link! I may be there on Valentine's Day (busy on the 13th).

I see no mention of exclusive clothes though Why make so many bear sizes and no exclusive clothes? Although I want the bean bag Duffy too.

• Adventures with Duffy

Why the different sizes? Why not offer the 17" bear with Disney Store exclusive clothing? I can see a clothing line that's more street clothes then costumes. Which would be cool if they did it right.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

For whatever reason the 40" bear has peaked my interest. I wonder...

I am interested to see what exclusive things they have for the Disney store. I hope it's worth it considering the closest one is a few hours away. *sigh*

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs down Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss View Post
    I see no mention of exclusive clothes though Why make so many bear sizes and no exclusive clothes? Although I want the bean bag Duffy too.
    Because they're still seeing "The Disney Bear," only now they have size variations instead of colors.

Besides appearing cheaper than the standard 17", which is very odd in and of itself, the very existence of the 20" eludes me — what gap does this fill? It will be "just too big" for costumes, but not bigger in a substantial way that you can feel when you hold it. I sort of question the need for straps and badges in this same way, but at least they're shaped different and their functionality is different.

In this way, both the 28" and 40" make sense. They are more substantially huggable. When I used to work at an elementary school, the counselor had a giant dog plush. It was very inviting and comforting. The thing that confuses me about these is that I was sure I remembered these sizes being available at launch and then disappearing. I remember Aimster even talking about seeing them in Disney Outlets, and when my friend went to WDW two years ago, she said she thought she remembered the giant bears being sold in the Outlet for $20…but she may have been exaggerating.

My point is, the Disney Company version of Duffy seems only to dilute and even tarnish both the character and the brand. All they seem to do is make Duffy cheaper, in every sense of the word. That's not "Disney magic" in my mind, but I am truly hopeful that it is only for a limited time. The longer this goes on, the more authentic Duffy is damaged. Maybe they're just clumsy, but it's honestly becoming almost impossible for me not to see these missteps as deliberate and malicious. I mean, the press release proves they lie — Duffy is certainly not "delighting millions." It was just a bear sitting on a counter. If you didn't care a LOT about Duffy already, you didn't even notice. As for his own show, developed by Disney, at this point I can only wince and cringe.

The beanbag is the only one that sounds a little interesting to me. This announcement underscores that, regardless of whether I like it or not (and I don't), the US approach is just going to be significantly different from the Japanese approach. The way that it's different seems to be the way Mickey is different, too, though. More of a commodity and less of a character, the embodiment of a brand rather than a spirit. At least, that's how I see it. I hope they see it differently.

All those big bears seem set for Japan rather than the US. So far, it seems to me that the only people who'd want to spend $100 on Duffy would also prefer spend that importing from Tokyo. I really imagine the majority of these different sized bears being for Japanese tourists, resellers and completists. I have no idea why some Japanese Duffy fans are willing to pay a premium for US stuff. I'm not even sure who these people are; I never see the US stuff at DisneySEA.

Where does "Stitch Kingdom" get there information from? I'm confused as this is not cited from an official Disney website. Maybe someone know someone who works for Disney store...

I don't understand the marketing with the different sizes either. Seems weird to me. Although have a 40" Duffy bear is tempting!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    Where does "Stitch Kingdom" get there information from? I'm confused as this is not cited from an official Disney website. Maybe someone know someone who works for Disney store...
    I'm not sure about the source, but I can vouch for a record of accurate reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I don't understand the marketing with the different sizes either. Seems weird to me. Although have a 40" Duffy bear is tempting!
    Sure, you're tempted, and I might be tempted if I had room for such a thing, but do these sizes really do anything to make Duffy appealing to people who are not already fans? Do they add any layers, or anything at all? I think many of us were hoping for some inspired 17" clothing, the kind of outfits we've been clamoring for since the global launch. And maybe even some well-designed tie-in merchandise, like Cape Cod Duffy.

Once again, what we're getting seems so out of touch with the very vocal demands of the existing, growing Duffy fandom. And all that talk about delighting millions on TV seems just plain out of touch with reality. I just have no idea what Disney is doing here. I cannot understand their process at all. But what do I know anyway?

I don't understand why they aren't offering different costumes, either. I would have thought they would try to do different costumes for Disney Store vs. Disney Parks. Dunno. Guess we'll just have to see what unfolds.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm left scratching my head about this. I didn't realize that all Duffy needed to succeed was different sizes. Who knew? I mean, maybe that's why the Disney Bear didn't succeed, because there weren't enough size variants of all the colors, right?

Like DuffyD said, I just don't get where Disney is coming from with this. Even looking at every single blog update, with the comments...nobody was asking for different sizes, they wanted more costumes for the 17" bear...and ShellieMay, of course.

The 20" plush is very confusing, since it's only 3" different than the standard size, so it will only cause confusion. The costumes won't fit right. Was there really demand for a Duffy that's only slightly bigger? I can kind of understand jumps from 17" to 28", and then to 40". Those are obvious differences, but the 20" bear seems to be a "why bother?" kind of thing.

Also, I'm not even sure that the Japanese fans will care as much, since TDS also has different sizes of the Duffy and ShellieMay plush. I can see some fans buying the US versions, but not to the extent that it will be a booming market, like the older color variant Disney Bears.

Last year when I was at WDW, there were TONS off non standard sized Duffy bears at the Disney Outlet. I'm not sure exactly what sizes, but I remember a very large Duffy and a smaller maybe 15' bear. If these were all being sold at half price at the outlets, why do they think they will be successful to the Disney Store crowd which likely has more "casual" disney customers than the actual parks? It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    Last year when I was at WDW, there were TONS off non standard sized Duffy bears at the Disney Outlet. I'm not sure exactly what sizes, but I remember a very large Duffy and a smaller maybe 15' bear. If these were all being sold at half price at the outlets, why do they think they will be successful to the Disney Store crowd which likely has more "casual" disney customers than the actual parks? It makes no sense to me.
    The very first Duffy I bought was the giant ones at the outlet mall. There was quite a few of them and they were only $20. I don't go there all the time so I don't know how long they were there but yeah. Quite a markdown from the original price. Maybe they think that people can't carry home the large Duffys while on vacation and it is better to have them at the Disney Store since many fans can make it to a Disney Store sooner than Disney World/Land. But a 20 inch bear is just overkill.

True - it would be hard to get the bigger Duffy home if you flew to WDW. There are just so many options for giant plush toys (Toys R Us has dozens) I think it's only true Disney fans who know who Duffy is from being at the parks that will be interested in buying one. Most of my friends who are casual Disney fans, and even some who consider themselves die hard Disney fans don't know who Duffy is. Unless they do some kind of educational campaign along with the Duffy merchandise in the store, I think this will be a flop for the Disney Stores.

I thought if they were going to bring Duffy to the Disney Channel, they would coincide it with a release in the Disney Store. Otherwise, yeah, I think it's weird because people will walk into the Disney Store, see Duffy, not know his "story", and just think it's another bear. Unless they've been to the parks or are already Duffy fans it's just weird.

And the lets release all sizes of Duffy thing is strange too. I agree with gurgi, the 20" bear is just not practical. And I can see how they may thing that re-releasing the 28" bear would work better in the Disney Store because people may not buy him at the parks due to problems getting him back home.

I was told that they are going to release Disney Store specific outfits/costumes later in the year. I guess they are "testing the waters" first before they produce a bunch of items that may not sell. I can see Disney marketing taking that approach to "save money", but then all the different size variations makes even less sense.

I'm just rambling random thoughts that come into my head! Don't mind me!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

I think the introduction of so many sized bears will make it more difficult to sell the clothes later, not easier. Parents will be all upset they are out money because this sized bear isn't the right one and so on. Really weird decision. Thought the exclusive clothes would come first, not last.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Something just seems off with the sizes and pricing. I guess we'll see what the deal really is on the 13th. My closest Disney Store is just 5 miles away, so I'll stop in and see what's going on.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast