Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 202
  1. #76

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    393

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Yes, I'm planning on stopping at my local store on my lunch break that day. We'll see what happens.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May


  2. #77

    • Munchings & Crunchings
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    It seems to me that Disney has not learned from it's mistakes.

  3. #78

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Currently Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    327

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Seems like this will be a flop again for Disney. *sigh* This is very upsetting I just wish people would understand how wonderful this bear really is...

  4. #79

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    I'm just getting a REALLY bad vibe from all this. Oh Disney... will you NEVER LEARN??

  5. #80

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,150

    Sad Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm just getting a REALLY bad vibe from all this. Oh Disney... will you NEVER LEARN??
    I'm anticipating photo reports from you Aimster, or Naelyan, tenchikiss…someone. I can't know for sure exactly how disappointed to feel until I have a little more information. All signs do seem to point to hair-ripping, chest-beating, head-spinning, ears-steaming, siren-screaming total banshee freak-out horrifying panic, though.

  6. #81

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    393

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    I'll be going on my lunch break, but I was planning on trying to take the camera. Hopefully they won't think I'm freaky weird for taking pictures of everything! But if things do turn out nicely I hope to leave with a 40" Duffy. I'm being cautiously optimistic.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May


  7. #82

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    I'm not taking my camera, but I'll be snapping photos with my iPhone (and I can upload straight to Photobucket through my phone), so I can update ya'll "live" from the mall.

  8. #83

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,150

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Thanks, Aimster. Could you chime in on one more thing? Do I remember correctly that you saw the 40" Duffys for $20 at Disney Outlet one or two years ago? Is this really just a re-release?

    And if they were shipped to Outlets and discounted down to $20 then, what makes them think people will be willing to give them $100 for them now… Wait just a fluffing minute… Could this be that stock that still didn't sell, even at the 20" price point? Maybe they're thinking that the folks who don't live near a Park won't know about the Outlets and they'll be willing to pay?

    In my earlier post I talked about the size diversity being for Japanese tourists. That was faulty logic. These will be in Disney Stores across the country and available online, so that anyone who wants "that new Disney bear thing!" can acquire it quickly and easily, without having to invest much time or energy, either of which may a) make them change their mind or b) lead to them learning more about Cape Cod Duffy and being appalled by what's happening.

    The Japanese Duffy fan already has access to both the 28" (70cm-M) and 40" (100cm-L) sizes, although at signicantly higher prices — 10,000 and 50,000 respectively. This is one time Disney clearly wins on price, as even I find these prices completely outlandish. On the other hand, I understand that these items are meant to be cash cows in the Duffy pricing ecosystem that rarely sell, but bring in a huge margin when they do. It's the one and only case where the difference in price doesn't seem to correlate with an even more significant difference in quality.

    I have never seen two of the giant bears side by side, though, or handled them, or watched them age. There may in fact be a very real difference in construction, feel, and durability. But it's hard for me to really imagine, when it comes to the large ones, a $400+ difference.

    This is in keeping with US Duffy's singular advantage — price. But it also underscores something insidious that I suspect more and more to be true, that Disney's real primary agenda with Duffy is not only to heartlessly pimp him out for cash, but to actively and aggressively flood the market with products that cheapen the brand created by OLC. My main reason for becoming convinced of this was realizing over the weekend that all of the officially licensed Disney merchandise in 100 shops has the same tags as those noticeably cheap claw machine Duffy items. I think the reason OLC isn't cracking down on them is because they are powerless to do so. It makes sense, and I find it both shamelessly reprehensible and utterly unforgivable if true.

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    143

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    I can't answer for other people but my friend and I got the giant Duffys on July 4, 2012. My outlet Disney is about 2 hours outside of the World so maybe merchandise sits there a little longer than the three outlets near the World. But when I went to the outlet mall in late May there were no big Duffys. Big Duffy is just as soft at regular Duffy, well regular American Duffy. So while Japanese Duffy might be a little softer I don't think he is worth the 400 dollar price difference. Especially when I only paid $20 bucks for him. (Just informed by my friend we have 28 inch Duffys and not 40 inch. MOG That is huge X___X).

    No one at The Disney Store or Build a Bear (or really anywhere I take pictures of "things" at) have stopped me from taking pictures. But then again I usually have Duffy or the other cute object in the picture so it appears they are looking at it, not that I am trying to capture the price/quality of the other object. But yeah I took my camera into the Disney with Duffy and took pictures and no one seemed to mind.
    Last edited by tenchikiss; 02-11-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: can't math

  10. #85

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,150

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    The M-size here is 10,000 compared with $40 in the US, so the difference is still 110%, which is obviously significant, but kind of on par with the popularity/quality difference. I can't imagine ever buying the bigger bears anyway, because of the lack of costumes, but the 500% difference is just too huge. I don't know how people do it. In this sense, the pricing in the US is a major advantage, but I'm not sure Duffy's global success depends on the availability of affordable 40" bears anyway.

  11. #86

    • Munchings & Crunchings
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    And if they were shipped to Outlets and discounted down to $20 then, what makes them think people will be willing to give them $100 for them now… Wait just a fluffing minute… Could this be that stock that still didn't sell, even at the 20" price point? Maybe they're thinking that the folks who don't live near a Park won't know about the Outlets and they'll be willing to pay?
    That's a good point about the excess stock. It's entirely possible that these are still leftover bears from the original launch. The only new sizes are the 20" and the bean bag plush size. It's a little disingenuous of them to list all of them as something new when they were available at Duffy's relaunch at the parks. I'm sure that there are a whole lot of people who don't know about the Disney outlets though. There are very few of them around the country, and the only permanent ones are near Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The rest of them actually move from city to city. So, I'm sure Disney thinks they might be able to get people who didn't go to an outlet to buy Duffy at full price...they wouldn't know any better.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    In my earlier post I talked about the size diversity being for Japanese tourists. That was faulty logic. These will be in Disney Stores across the country and available online, so that anyone who wants "that new Disney bear thing!" can acquire it quickly and easily, without having to invest much time or energy, either of which may a) make them change their mind or b) lead to them learning more about Cape Cod Duffy and being appalled by what's happening.
    Or c) not doing anything in particular other than buying a large plush for their kids and not thinking anymore about it. I do wish that people would do a little research and find out just who Duffy is, but that's more work than many are willing to put into a plush character. I'm sure Disney is not really expecting Japanese tourists to buy them either, because it would be something big to carry or ship back home. Also, like you said, these will be available all over the country, places where tourists don't really go. Disney is hoping for American suckers. Please don't take offense at that comment, anybody. I don't mean any of us or any other Duffy fans not on the boards here is a sucker for buying different sized Duffy bears. Far from it. I'm speaking of it in the way I feel Disney sees it's customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    The Japanese Duffy fan already has access to both the 28" (70cm-M) and 40" (100cm-L) sizes, although at signicantly higher prices — 10,000 and 50,000 respectively. This is one time Disney clearly wins on price, as even I find these prices completely outlandish. On the other hand, I understand that these items are meant to be cash cows in the Duffy pricing ecosystem that rarely sell, but bring in a huge margin when they do. It's the one and only case where the difference in price doesn't seem to correlate with an even more significant difference in quality.
    One thing I wonder about the Japanese pricing for the larger Duffy and ShellieMay bears is because of their size and apparent status. This might be me generalizing, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But, my feeling is that in Japan and the Tokyo metro area especially, space is a commodity, so having space in your house taken up by very large plush bears is not really all that desirable. So, OLC has set the price for the bears very high so that a) they appear as luxury items, and b) because they know that many Japanese fans won't buy them, so they will sell very few...so they need to make money on them when they eventually do sell them. In the US, size is not an issue, especially in suburban areas, where buying a large plush is not a big deal at all, and many stores sell them. Disney has to keep the prices down on the US versions of big Duffy because nobody would buy them at OLC prices, since similar plush are readily available elsewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I have never seen two of the giant bears side by side, though, or handled them, or watched them age. There may in fact be a very real difference in construction, feel, and durability. But it's hard for me to really imagine, when it comes to the large ones, a $400+ difference.

    This is in keeping with US Duffy's singular advantage — price. But it also underscores something insidious that I suspect more and more to be true, that Disney's real primary agenda with Duffy is not only to heartlessly pimp him out for cash, but to actively and aggressively flood the market with products that cheapen the brand created by OLC. My main reason for becoming convinced of this was realizing over the weekend that all of the officially licensed Disney merchandise in 100 shops has the same tags as those noticeably cheap claw machine Duffy items. I think the reason OLC isn't cracking down on them is because they are powerless to do so. It makes sense, and I find it both shamelessly reprehensible and utterly unforgivable if true.
    I'm not quite ready to accept this conspiracy theory. I just don't want to believe it could be true. The fake Duffy bears in japan really do seem to be different enough that I don't think Disney has purposely installed them in claw machines. Otherwise, I think that Disney would just use the current US Duffy bears instead. As it is, the noses are different, and there are differences in fur, and fabric. So, Disney would have to be creating a second line of even cheaper Duffies to sell outside of TDS. I don't think Disney would even bother with that. I think they would rather have the one, cheap Duffy line they are selling in America and any other place that isn't Japan. I think those blue Disney tags are just extremely easy to counterfeit, and the fakes in Japan are truly black-market things from China.

  12. #87

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,150

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    …I'm not quite ready to accept this conspiracy theory. I just don't want to believe it could be true. The fake Duffy bears in japan really do seem to be different enough that I don't think Disney has purposely installed them in claw machines. Otherwise, I think that Disney would just use the current US Duffy bears instead. As it is, the noses are different, and there are differences in fur, and fabric. So, Disney would have to be creating a second line of even cheaper Duffies to sell outside of TDS. I don't think Disney would even bother with that. I think they would rather have the one, cheap Duffy line they are selling in America and any other place that isn't Japan. I think those blue Disney tags are just extremely easy to counterfeit, and the fakes in Japan are truly black-market things from China.
    You know I love a conspiracy theory! You make lots of good points. I'm not saying I really believe that's what's happening, either; my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek. But…it is inexplicable to me that neither the OLC not the WDC are cracking down. On the contrary, both the variety and availability of these game center items appear to be steadily growing.

  13. #88

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    393

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    I have the both the 28" Duffy bear from the US and the 27" Shellie May bear from Tokyo. One main thing is that Duffy is slightly larger, but the fur is different on him than on the 17" bear. I actually like it because it's a little longer (barely) and fuzzier. My 27" Shellie May looks very similar to the 17" Shellie May.
    This is the only picture I have right now, but you can see what they look like.
    Name:  IMG_9281 (600x450).jpg
Views: 67
Size:  195.6 KB
    As for the 40" bear, I don't think we ever had that size Duffy here in the US. I'm not sure about the Disney bear before that, but if someone knows otherwise, please tell! If the quality is not "off" I will definitely be purchasing a 40" bear. I'm a sucker for having the matching Shellie May items to my Duffy items, but I'm not sure I can afford to ever order the 40" Shellie May from Tokyo, but I sure would love to have one. Now, I have to say, I understand this is not for everyone, but I LOVE teddy bears! And I have never had a big, huge bear before. I've always wanted one and since I have grown to have such a HUGE LOVE for Duffy and Shellie May I really want this 40" bear to be nice quality.
    I will NOT purchase one, however, if they have cheapened the brand with the Disney Store release. I am not going to support that! \
    Just one more day to go! I'm very anxious about this entire thing.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May


  14. #89

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    DuffyD, I got my 28" Duffy just before Christmas 2011. I can't even remember what I paid for him at the outlet anymore but the original stick price was I believe $75. I cut all the tags off him so I really don't remember. But he's nice and fuzzy and fluffy. I saw other 28" bears at the outlet last year and they had almost like the waffle fur the 17" Duffys here have now. They looked different than the one I have. I love my big, fuzzy guy though. He sits in a little kid's size chair in my living room next to the bookshelf I have my 12" Duffy collection displayed on.

    I'm thinking Stitch Kingdom got the prices mixed up or something, but we'll find out tomorrow I guess. I have no room for another 28" bear or a 40" bear so I'll be passing on those. I'm most curious about the mini beanbag version though. If he's done right he could be REALLY cute (plus something to get my mom as her birthday is later this week).

  15. #90

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,150

    Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    …I'm thinking Stitch Kingdom got the prices mixed up or something, but we'll find out tomorrow I guess. I have no room for another 28" bear or a 40" bear so I'll be passing on those. I'm most curious about the mini beanbag version though. If he's done right he could be REALLY cute (plus something to get my mom as her birthday is later this week).
    Plus…7" beanbag plush? Um, hello, Wonderpup + Duffy + Radioactive Spider + Chemical X + eight flavors of totally awesome! If well executed, I'm on board just for this little guy!^^

    I can't decide if I'm hoping it's furry and fluffy like the Duffy we know and love or if I'd rather it have a low-pile plush fabric like most of the soft and smooth beanbag plush I've seen. I think I'm kind of hoping for the latter, just for variety.

    Also, I'm too tired to look for the old pricing on those yet, but I really hope Disney hasn't gone with a 25% mark-up on a product that was already discounted by at least 60%. That just makes Duffy look bad. It's like, "You didn't buy it before and you didn't buy it for cheap, but maybe you'll buy it for even more now because we're saying it's new all over again…"
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. D23 "exclusive" Disney Store 25th Anniversary merchandise
    By Disney Magic in forum D23 - Disney Twenty Three
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  2. D23 Expo: Disney Store Announces Plans and Exclusive Merchandise
    By Dustysage in forum D23 - Disney Twenty Three
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. "Disney Store" cast members: Any "Meet the Robinsons merchandise?
    By Aladdin in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
  4. Difference in Disney Store Merchandise??
    By FantasticDuck in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
  5. Disney Store POTC:DMC Merchandise
    By Aladdin in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •