Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    My main reason for becoming convinced of this was realizing over the weekend that all of the officially licensed Disney merchandise in ¥100 shops has the same tags as those noticeably cheap claw machine Duffy items. I think the reason OLC isn't cracking down on them is because they are powerless to do so. It makes sense, and I find it both shamelessly reprehensible and utterly unforgivable if true.
    I hope Gurgi's right that Disney's not making the claw machine bears. Regardless, I don't personally think Disney is trying to flood the market with the purpose of undermining OLC.

Actually, is this page true? If so, and if the contract is still in place, then Disney gets 5% of merchandise sales at Tokyo Disney, presumably for doing nothing but being Disney. If so, then I'm hoping they wouldn't want to hinder those sales...though I can imagine them trying to grab some additional sales for themselves. (Which is just what they did in the US--market to an audience that for the most part wasn't going to be importing Duffy goods from Japan anyway, and try to get them interested.)

Anyway, there are dozens of different (often low-quality) Disney items in our 99-cent stores out here, too. In those cases, I don't think Disney is intentionally trying to undermine the higher-quality Mickey Mouse, Cars, Princess, etc. items available elsewhere (after all, Disney makes money off the higher-end things too!). I guess they must see it as offering items at all price ranges, making sure everyone (regardless of budget) is getting a piece of Disney in their homes, etc.

(In reality, despite any intentions, they probably ARE undermining their own brands...I just assume that wasn't the plan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I hope Gurgi's right that Disney's not making the claw machine bears. Regardless, I don't personally think Disney is trying to flood the market with the purpose of undermining OLC.

Actually, is this page true? If so, and if the contract is still in place, then Disney gets 5% of merchandise sales at Tokyo Disney, presumably for doing nothing but being Disney. If so, then I'm hoping they wouldn't want to hinder those sales...though I can imagine them trying to grab some additional sales for themselves. (Which is just what they did in the US--market to an audience that for the most part wasn't going to be importing Duffy goods from Japan anyway, and try to get them interested.)

Anyway, there are dozens of different (often low-quality) Disney items in our 99-cent stores out here, too. In those cases, I don't think Disney is intentionally trying to undermine the higher-quality Mickey Mouse, Cars, Princess, etc. items available elsewhere (after all, Disney makes money off the higher-end things too!). I guess they must see it as offering items at all price ranges, making sure everyone (regardless of budget) is getting a piece of Disney in their homes, etc.

(In reality, despite any intentions, they probably ARE undermining their own brands...I just assume that wasn't the plan.)
    Yes, Blue Sky Disney is generally reliable, I think. Though I've usually heard 20% until now from MiceChatters I trusted to know. I've also heard far more romanticized versions of TDL's creation as a positive bridge for post-war/occupation Japan-US relations as envisioned by Masatomo Takahashi.

And of course I realize that Disney's primary agenda is making profits, not targeting and undermining its business partner. It's just the lack of any visible attempt to shut down these game center operations that makes me suspicious. I love Disney, in theory, as much as anyone here, and I deeply want to have faith in the company's integrity and goodwill. Unfortunately, though, as long as their choices not only create a cheaper vision of Duffy but aggressively perpetuate it to the point that it dilutes the character created and nurtured by the OLC, I am unable to view them as anything other than an evil corporate empire. The very moment they do something truly "Disney magical" with Duffy and seem to finally "get it" and make moves to warmly embrace him for the pure loving energy he embodies and inspires, all will be instantly forgiven. Until then, WDC is the villain lurking and scheming in the shadowy darkness. I know it ain't real, but that's how I feel!

As for Duffy available at various price points, I like this. I think Duffy the 17" is a luxury product line, period. But I recognize the difference between Regular Series and Cannery Clothing Company. Some of BAB's pricing is in line with the former, but I think of BAB as kind of luxury, too. Everyone can't spend that much on bears and bear clothes…and wouldn't want to.

Yesterday, inspired by the upcoming Duffy beanbag, I was reading about Ty's Beanie Babies and how their production costs were managed with the primary guiding principle of keeping the price point at $5.99, so that kids could buy the plush for themselves with allowances and report card money. This is AWESOME! I never knew that.

If Disney really wants a cheaper, more child-safe Duffy, I'd suggest making the beanbag of the same quality-level relative to other beanbag plush as the Tokyo Duffy is compared with other mass-produced 17" teddy bears. Ty's Beanies were/are? of great quality, with a comforting tactile/visual experience. I never collected them, but I worked at a shop that sold them (as purely a cash grab) and I was impressed by the quality, though I never got into buying, selling or trading them.

Disney's problem (and I accept that it may be — unlikely but possible — more a problem of my being spoiled by OLC and less a lack of WDC's respect, love or ambition) is that their current model begs to be compared with Tokyo and loses every time. Perhaps this new beanbag could be a new format, not just a little naked Duffy. Maybe they make clothes and easily Velcro-on attachments for it? The construction and design approach they're taking so far would be far more compelling, for me at least, in that beanie format. I'm thinking this little guy could be very exciting.^^

TDS Cape Cod Duffy is a mass-produced bear who looks like a hand-made bear. There is a design spirit and attention to detail that feels like some particular artist's particular vision, and they cut no corners in realizing it. And the mass-production leads to a uniformly professional experience and lots of graphic and cross-merchandising support. Duffy seems to benefit and win in both categories. WDC is not doing this with Duffy for whatever reason, so he looks like a mall bear rather than an heirloom and that's not doing the character any favors. Maybe if they go more for that aesthetic in a format that hasn't already had its quality standards codified by OLC, the results will be more charming? Just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-12-2013 at 09:24 PM.

I'm at work, so I'll have to make this short. There is a 36" Duffy, not 40" for $100. A 24" (no 28" or 20") Duffy. Also the "beanbag" is just an 8" sitting Duffy. The Mickey in his sailor outfit holding Duffy comes in two sizes. The large one being 25" at $60 and the smaller 17" at $30.
    I will have to see the 36" Duffy before I decide. I really wanted him at 40", the 36" just isn't much bigger than the 28" I already have. I will be going at lunch and have pictures and more info once I see these in person. I may get the Mickey instead.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Munchings & Crunchings

The Disney Store website now has all of the new items listed. There are quite a few sizes available. The 8" beanbag is actually kind of cute. His fur appears to be like the bigger bears, but he's got a really big smile. Although the website doesn't say he's a bean-bag plush, just plush. So, I wonder if he has no beans in his bottom?

There's also a "naked" 12" bear now, as well as 17", 24", and 36", as Naelyan said.

Duffy the Disney Bear | Disney Store

No new costumes or anything, which is disappointing. Just the Mickey plush and different sized Duffy bears.
    Last edited by gurgi; 02-13-2013 at 06:27 AM.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    If Disney really wants a cheaper, more child-safe Duffy, I'd suggest making the beanbag of the same quality-level relative to other beanbag plush as the Tokyo Duffy is compared with other mass-produced 17" teddy bears. Ty's Beanies were/are? of great quality, with a comforting tactile/visual experience. I never collected them, but I worked at a shop that sold them (as purely a cash grab) and I was impressed by the quality, though I never got into buying, selling or trading them.

Disney's problem (and I accept that it may be — unlikely but possible — more a problem of my being spoiled by OLC and less a lack of WDC's respect, love or ambition) is that their current model begs to be compared with Tokyo and loses every time. Perhaps this new beanbag could be a new format, not just a little naked Duffy. Maybe they make clothes and easily Velcro-on attachments for it? The construction and design approach they're taking so far would be far more compelling, for me at least, in that beanie format. I'm thinking this little guy could be very exciting.^^
    That would be amazing. The detailed $8 (now $8.95) magnet Duffy was what drew me in to the world of Duffy...I'm old enough to buy whatever I please, but I treat myself as a kid in that regard (non-sensible, "fun" things like Duffy generally get purchased by money I'm gifted for birthday/Christmas and money I "earn" by doing things I should do...I'm pretty sure a lot of kids get more than I do in the average week, as I'd have to save up at least 2-3 weeks to "earn" a 17" Duffy).

I STILL think the magnet Duffy is great, with his swivel head and incredible posability. And smaller items might look better with a lack of detail (even TDS doesn't dress their badge plushies with as much detail as the full-sized...though the detail is more than Disney US has yet to do on most of their 17" clothes!). Of course, Disney is fixated on pre-dressed bears for no reason I can fathom.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the 8" Duffy in person. If they sold one with the (admittedly kind of cheaply-made) sailor costume you can get on the one with the sailor Mickey, I'd be there, I think.

So the mysterious 20" turned out to be 12". That makes much more sense. I'm really disappointed in the beanbag; I had begun to hope for an original, smooth plush design. Something really new. I don't understand the strategy or market for these things at all. I just don't understand what Disney's message or agenda is with Duffy.

• Munchings & Crunchings

So, with these new sizes, if somebody was collecting every size, there would be a sliding scale. We've got the tiny sitting plush from TDS, all the way to the older 40" bear, and the big one from TDS. It would be kind of cool to see all of them sitting side-by-side for a comparison. From 2", 6", 8", 12", 17", 24", 28", 36", and 40".

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Coming to you LIVE from my local Disney Store!

the big Mickey holding Duffy. He's $60. The smaller version is $30.

naked 12" bears are $20 & have the waffle fur. Ick.

the mini bean bag plush. He's really cute but no beans! He's $10. I picked up one for myself & one for my mom.

they didn't have the larger size bears. I asked about them & the CM said she heard about them but hadn't seen them either. There's also both Vinylmations available.

So... That's it!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for the photo update, Aimster! First of all, the one thing that stood out to me wasn't Duffy at all, but the fact that your Disney store still has the original 1987 layout and decor! How on earth did it survive all the updates over the years? It brings back memories to see the teal & pink color scheme and film strip windows.

As for Duffy, I hope he really does sell well enough, but it's so hard to tell a story like his with just a merchandise display. The waffle fur is a weird choice, since it looks like feathers. I've never liked it on him. I will admit to liking it on other stuffed animals, but then those were going for that specific look. Duffy needs to look more "organic" like actual fur, not patterned, but oh well...

I don't remember off-hand, but do the costumes say anywhere on them that they are for the 17" bear only? They really need to do that to prevent any confusion, since now there are different sizes.

The 8" plush is cute, and his smile is pronounced, but the ears seem to disappear in all that fur. I will have to go to my local Times Square Disney Store tomorrow to see their display.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Thanks for the pictures, aimster.

Well...I guess I'm still ambivalent about all this. I'm happy outfits I wanted to purchase are available in Disney Stores throughout the country, and I'm ecstatic I can personally choose my own Duffy merchandise and not rely on some employee who simply completes orders without consideration for symmetry, aesthetics, personality, etc. I'm also delighted that shipping is no longer an issue. However, I'm simultaneously really disappointed Disney simply released their current merchandise and six (6) new items into local Disney Stores without any real fanfare whatsoever. Clearly, this venture solely focused on revenue generation and nothing else. Furthermore, I'm a bit teed off Disney pretended to conceal and appease people's anger about this simple and parismonious revenue increase by releasing six (6) new items. That pretense is a slap to my intelligence...but luckily, it didn't knock anything loose. Well, fortuitously for Disney, Duffy's cuteness mitigates--and I guess nullifies--my anger, so I'll head to my local Disney Store and purchase some Duffy swag. Of course, I can't purchase anything now because my local Disney Store has been closed for the past two (2) weeks for remodel and won't reopen until spring! And I can't even compensate for this by going to my local BAB because that closed permanently a week ago. Oh well, so ist das Leben…ç’est la vie.

Oh, and even though 36" Duffy plush is currently sold out, an online cast member with whom I chatted said he expects Disney will restock him soon since this size was very popular. Do you all think collectors bought all the 36" Duffy stock, or do you think analogous Duffy scalpers depleted the stock?

I just went at lunch and I am sad, disappointed and a tad bit angry! The Duffy items were on the very back wall of the store stuffed amongst all the stuffed animals. I figured since this is at the Florida Mall in Orlando, one of the main hubs for tourists, they would have had a better display.
    Name:  IMG_1708 (450x600).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  236.6 KB

As Aimster said, they did not have the 36" Duffy in store. I asked about him, and they had not gotten any of that size. I wonder if they will ever have it.
    The fur is all the icky waffle looking fur. The only thing I picked up was the 17" Mickey holding Duffy. I don't like the way he's holding Duffy, as his hands almost completely cover Duffy. I have clipped the string and seperated the hands. I plan on stitching it back to a better position. I like the way the Santa Mickey was holding Duffy, so that's the plan!
    I also took a picture of the 8" plush (NOT a beanbag) next to the 12" plush. I don't really understand why they off the 12" plush.
    Name:  IMG_1710 (600x450).jpg
Views: 199
Size:  200.5 KB
    They only had the Sailor, Sorcerer, Buzz and Woody outfits as of now.
    There were a lot of people in my store today, but barely anyone was looking at the Duffy merchandise. I saw a few people walk over and check him out, but only saw one family who bought Duffy and his sailor costume. I was in the store for about an hour.
    Anyway, I could go on and on, but I have to go back to work.
    Sorry this wasn't a better venture by Disney.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, Naelyan, that display is pretty bad. At least the one Aimster has at her local store was a stand-alone display with only Duffy on it. Yours just throws him up with all the other plush to be assimilated. I'm very curious what my store will look like when I visit tomorrow. It's a super busy location, and one of the new "concept" stores they've been rolling out over the last few years with the projection trees and stuff. But it's all a bit chaotic in there, so I wonder if they will also cram Duffy into the plush wall.

Reporting....from my house because I don't have a smart phone! I think I was one of the first people in my Disney store this morning but I stopped to do a few more things. My pics will be basically the same though.

The empty window display from 10 days ago is still empty. Lovely. But the Duffy display is the first thing you see when you enter the store. The Valentines stuff got pushed to the back.

As you can see my store is tiny and boring. So all Duffy got was one display rack. Absolutely no room for Godzilla Duffy. When I asked the sales lady where he was she looked confused and said well I guess we won't get him, maybe he is an online thing? Excellent.

While I was in the store no one stopped to look at Duffy but me. There were little kids and adults making bears at build a bear though.

Mickey with Duffy. This is the 30 dollar one.

Micky with Duffy again. This is the 60 dollar one and I think Duffy looks much cuter in Mickey's arms.

Naked 12 inch Duffy. No clothes for him at all. $22.

Duffy is King of the chibi duffys. This is when the sales lady came over and started talking to me, asking me if I bought Duffy at Build a Bear.

There is no size on the chibi Duffy tag. Also there is a seriously lack of beans in him. Some of them are cute while others are a bit derpy. I still picked one up since they were only 10 bucks (and then and spent 60 at build a bear across the way).

Duffy with I suppose the 28 inch Duffy (according to my notes). It was priced at $40. Despite how it looks it was pretty soft.

One last shot of the outfits that everyone already owns. The Sailor Outfit was on the other side.

As I got up "early" for this I was extremely underwhelmed by this event. If one could all it that. There was no signage or anything. Just plop buy this stuff that you could probably already own if you like Duffy. I might buy a Sailor Mickey but this really isn't branching Duffy out at all. I guess if they were only going to get one display for Duffy they did the best they could but if the big selling point was going to be Godzilla Duffy...well maybe he should have been there.

Hope my pics come out and I don't have to edit.

Naelyan isn't your store one of the nicer ones? With the sorta separated rooms and cute statues much like the World of Disney store?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Thanks for the photo update, Aimster! First of all, the one thing that stood out to me wasn't Duffy at all, but the fact that your Disney store still has the original 1987 layout and decor! How on earth did it survive all the updates over the years? It brings back memories to see the teal & pink color scheme and film strip windows.
    HA! Yeah I know. it's one of the very few surviving original look stores. And all the animations in the scenes along the top still work too. There's another Disney Store in Tampa that's the newer concept with the projection trees. It's dark in there... I don't care for it much.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Wow, Naelyan, that display is pretty bad. At least the one Aimster has at her local store was a stand-alone display with only Duffy on it.
    And it was right at the front of the store too. As soon as I saw it, I ran up and started checking everything out. I saw a couple of ladies looking at Duffy while I was there but no idea if they bought anything.

Oh and... DISCOVERY! I had to go to Build A Bear to pick up some bear cleaner for a friend for his Duffy and.... I started looking at the clothes for the SmallFrys line and got an idea. I took one of my little Duffys out of the bag & held an outfit up to him and it looked like it would fit, so I got it. Well.... Yeah it fits! I am so screwed.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast