Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Im not sure if all the new sized Duffys are online at the Disney Store, but several are, including the 36" Duffy.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for the size comparison, Aimster. So, the Santa one, and the one to his left (our right) in the picture are both 12"? They look slightly different.

I have to say, with all of them lined up like that, it seems that the 17" is still the cutest overall. Maybe it's because the proportions are "just right", or maybe it's because he's a TDS Duffy, I don't know, but he just looks the best to me. Although I will give a very close second to giant Duffy, because he just looks so soft & cuddly, and his face is cute.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ok... And now for size comparison:

From L-R: Duffy strap from HKDL, magnet, keychain, new min non-beanbag, 12" bear, 17" bear & 28" bear:
    This picture made me swoon.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Sure, I'll try. It's usually a madhouse in there...it is in the heart of Times Square after all. But hopefully I can get pictures. I have to say I had higher hopes for the concept too, after all the hype. It's not nearly as interactive as they said it would be. It's mostly cosmetic...the store itself is still a giant toy store with little for adults to do.
    Oh no, I think I'm going to hate my store's remodel. (Sigh). Thank you, gurgi. Any pictures you can get will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss View Post
    I felt so awkward when she asked me that as I thought she was going to comment about me taking pictures. But then after I registered what she said I said no I bought him at Downtown Disney. She said oh I thought maybe Build a Bear started carrying Duffy too since they have so much over there.
    Wow, just wow. My reaction is a simultaneous and . Perhaps you should have taken her to school and bashed some knowledge inside--if if can make it that far--or, at the very least, upside her head. "Here's some knowledge for ya!"

Thanks for the size comparison, Aimster. So, the Santa one, and the one to his left (our right) in the picture are both 12"? They look slightly different.
    I think Santa Duffy is 9". If I remember correctly, someone mentioned Santa Duffy being 9".

I have to say, with all of them lined up like that, it seems that the 17" is still the cutest overall. Maybe it's because the proportions are "just right", or maybe it's because he's a TDS Duffy, I don't know, but he just looks the best to me. Although I will give a very close second to giant Duffy, because he just looks so soft & cuddly, and his face is cute.
    Agreed. The 17" and 28" Duffy are my favorites also. Santa Duffy is a close third for me.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Coming to you LIVE from my local Disney Store!
    Wow…nothing had prepared me for the shock of actually seeing photos like this. Duffy everywhere. Duffy overload. Too much. Too convenient. Too common. They have finally completely bulldozed the entire brand concept. This is beyond erosion. This is a nuclear bomb right at the heart of Duffy. This makes Duffy into a completely ordinary, throwaway Disney Store half-off piece of corporate merchandising crap. And now all the people who didn't know Duffy will definitely know this. In Disney Stores in the US and Europe, this overzealous underdeveloped bear thing with tacky fur will become what Duffy is to people, who will probably (hopefully) have the aesthetic sense to reject it, and then he will be viewed as a flop, a failure. And then Disney execs can say, "See? It wasn't our bad planning. The Oriental Land Company's approach wasn't special or better. They just happen to be in Japan. It's just cultural difference. There are lots of people there who will buy this concept. It was just never gonna be so big in other regions. We really tried. It doesn't work. The Oriental Land Company just got lucky."

Or worse. Much worse. This will succeed, and eventually Duffy fans outside Japan will be talking about how "those crazy Japanese spend so much money on Duffy. Duffy doesn't need all that. He's just a Mickey bear!" The HUGE masses that will now be exposed to cheap Duffy may become a driving force of consumers who have never understood the concept, and don't really care to. They're just buying the latest trend that Disney's selling. But simply because of their numbers, the easy availability, their geographic location and native language, these followers could become dominant in how the world comes to see Duffy.

I cannot put into words… I hadn't anticipated how intensely that would affect me, seeing these waffle fur Duffys and cheap costumes piled up in a Disney Store backdrop. He just looks so common, so ordinary. It breaks the spell completely. The magic is gone. They have stabbed and strangled and muddied and bloodied and killed everything that is Duffy. They have butchered him, slowly stripping away layer after layer. I only pray that this, now, is the coup de grâce. I lose. Duffy loses. Disney wins. They have destroyed him. They have made it so that people who consider themselves Duffy fans will buy this Disney Bear-with-Duffy's-name and be satisfied. Despite my brightest hopes and best efforts, they have genericized my beloved hero and doubtless, the masses will help them both popularize and profit from this soulless abomination. My heart is shattered. Looking at these photos is a nightmare come to pass.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    …Clearly, this venture solely focused on revenue generation and nothing else. Furthermore, I'm a bit teed off Disney pretended to conceal and appease people's anger about this simple and parismonious revenue increase by releasing six (6) new items. That pretense is a slap to my intelligence...but…fortuitously for Disney, Duffy's cuteness mitigates--and I guess nullifies--my anger, so I'll head to my local Disney Store and purchase some Duffy swag.
    And there we have perfectly illustrated the problem. I tried so hard… I really did my very best… But I am just one person. I created the Post. I begged people to care. I tried to make it easy to know, to understand. I wanted us to be a community. And I wanted us to fight this. I have failed, and this character I love so much… Duffy will never be Duffy now. How can you know this and still give them your money? How can you support this? I don't understand…

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    …Oh, and even though 36" Duffy plush is currently sold out, an online cast member with whom I chatted said he expects Disney will restock him soon since this size was very popular. Do you all think collectors bought all the 36" Duffy stock, or do you think analogous Duffy scalpers depleted the stock?
    …Or do you think the CM is full of crap and they're creating fake hype?

The husband just came home and asked how Duffy day went. I showed him the pics and that I was said there wasn't new outfits or Godzilla Duffy. He says he is sorry we are all disappointed but hopefully things will pick up as he remembers the sales lady saying Disney Store exclusive outfits too.

And on the Disney Store website it says godzilla Duffy is sold out but that they will not ship this item international. So maybe there were a lot of Japanese girls losing their minds and trying to buy him today.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

…When I asked the sales lady where he was she looked confused and said well I guess we won't get him, maybe he is an online thing? Excellent.

While I was in the store no one stopped to look at Duffy but me…

…This is when the sales lady came over and started talking to me, asking me if I bought Duffy at Build a Bear.
    It's comforting that maybe most people are not the consumer sheep that Disney expects us to be and this is not an instant success. Don't get me wrong. I would love nothing more than for every living human to know and love Duffy — but this is NOT Duffy.

Let me just be sure I understand… The Disney Store CM working on the morning of the launch of Duffy in the Disney Stores nationwide asked you if you purchased your Duffy at BAB? Do they not even have an employee newsletter? Was there not even a five-minute meeting. Every dollar that you give that company is a stab through Duffy's tender heart. Please, do not help them do this! Please.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Whoops year the little Santa Duffy in my pic is the 9" one. No idea how I missed listing him with the others. SHEESH! Big DUH on my part.

I'll give Disney an "E" for effort for trying, but they're not trying hard enough. And it really busts my hump. That's all I really have to say about it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

…I'll give Disney an "E" for effort for trying, but they're not trying hard enough. And it really busts my hump. That's all I really have to say about it.
    The problem is that they're not trying to get people excited about Duffy, or to love him, or even to know him — the storybook isn't even available in the stores or online! All they are "trying" to do is sell him. I don't care how hard they try — as long as that's obviously all they're doing, I don't understand why anyone wants to buy it. Why support that? I don't want them to "try harder" to sell Duffy. I want them to love him.

The thing that made and MAKES Tokyo Cape Cod Duffy so special is that even when you look at some mass-produced piece of merchandise, you see an artist's (or team's) vision. And it's a vision worth supporting; all about happiness, luck, love, joy, friendship, memories, sharing, mystery and adventure. Looking at the Tokyo merchandise, you can literally see the labor of love and commitment to excellence, like looking at the lines and gradations of hand-drawn and hand-painted Disney classics. And the constantly changing, seasonal approach with park integration creates the feeling of a deep, long personal story with the character. The loss of that is significant.

What drew me in to Duffy in the first place was the way he embodied what Disney was and can be as a legendary American art house. He's not just "a cute teddy bear," right? I mean, if he's just a cute teddy bear that happens to be made by Disney, what's so exciting about that? Duffy has always been, for me, about the approach, the way. The process is the product, and vice-versa. But this move… It's like what they've done to Mickey. Soulless. Corporate. Mascot. Empty. Am I alone in feeling this? Is it only me?

Naelyan isn't your store one of the nicer ones? With the sorta separated rooms and cute statues much like the World of Disney store?
    My Disney store is a pretty good size, but no seperated rooms. It is one of the newer remodeled stores though. It was packed and people who were shopping there were very rude, that's why I had a lack of pictures. I was so upset after seeing this display, I just wanted to get what I wanted and get out. I had to stand in line quite a while just to get the Mickey.
    I'm having a hard time processing how I feel about Disney having failed at getting the word out about Duffy coming to the Disney store. I mean, really, Duffy has an official Facebook page and we've heard nothing since December. They aren't even posting info about park releases, yet the facebook page is clearly printed on the back of the "book" hang tag. What's the deal? I dunno...and I'm too tired to talk and think about it right now. I just want to see what is going to come out for Spring Voyage so i can put this all behind me.

However, Aimster-seeing that little 8" Duffy in the smallfrys clothing made me smile! I may have to go back and get one so that I can take him with me when I'm just on a short outing. Taking out 17" Duffy and Shellie May sometimes is like getting children ready to go the park! It would be nice to have a little guy I could dress up and take with me practically anywhere!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    …I mean, really, Duffy has an official Facebook page and we've heard nothing since December. They aren't even posting info about park releases, yet the facebook page is clearly printed on the back of the "book" hang tag. What's the deal?
    That's easy. They don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    …Taking out 17" Duffy and Shellie May sometimes is like getting children ready to go the park! It would be nice to have a little guy I could dress up and take with me practically anywhere!
    Too true! That 8" form factor is great. It's got me wondering if you could cram the Spring Voyage Duffys into Smallfrys clothes… I bet not, but I never tried it. Aimster, could you check and let us know?

Thing is, I'd still want OLC costumes, too, though. Now more than ever honestly. I'd only be willing to downsize my main bears if OLC made smaller bears and outfits, but I wouldn't really want to split my collection at this point, either… Hm… The size is compelling, for sure, but it's all about the Tokyo Design Team's costumes for me, and I want all the detail. If OLC ever puts out 20cm plush and separate costumes, I'll have a real dilemma.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    It's got me wondering if you could cram the Spring Voyage Duffys into Smallfrys clothes… I bet not, but I never tried it. Aimster, could you check and let us know?
    The Smallfrys outfits are too small for the smaller Spring Voyage bears. It's even too small for my 9" Santa Duffy. The thing with the Smallfrys plushies is they have BIG heads but small bodies, so the outfits are tiny.

I think I would feel less disappointed about this "event had there been Duffy merchandise in the window. There is literally NOTHING in the window display at my store. Nothing. There are some Valentine Micky and Minnie stickers on the glass but nothing in the display. I guess in my head I thought WOW they will put the godzilla Duffys in this stop and have a little rack of clothes like he is picking them out and Duffys will be climbing the ropes like pandas. That and if the excited girl who originally told me about today had been there instead of super confused worker.

Even if Disney is a soul less entity of its former self who is all about the money and wants to piggyback on the success of Japanese Duffy they still need to invest SOMETHING into the project. I mean...the Build a Bear store is seriously 3 stores down from the Disney one. You can see as you exist the store. You at least got to announce it, advertise a bit, even if they buy Duffy and run over to the other store afterwards.
    Last edited by tenchikiss; 02-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

The Smallfrys outfits are too small for the smaller Spring Voyage bears. It's even too small for my 9" Santa Duffy. The thing with the Smallfrys plushies is they have BIG heads but small bodies, so the outfits are tiny.
    Thanks.^^

…Even if Disney is a soul less entity of its former self who is all about the money and wants to piggyback on the success of Japanese Duffy they still need to invest SOMETHING into the project.

THIS. "Something" is NOT enough, but so very this!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Red Face Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

I miss how MiceChat used to merge my post if I added something soon after posting…

Duffy was emblematic of and embodied thee Tokyo DisneySEA park experience — exploration, adventure, meticulous attention to detail and astronomical quality standards. This is what I was buying with my collection and it was/is valuable to me. The moment he lost park exclusivity, he became something else entirely and it's becoming harder to even hold onto the Duffy I know and love. This genericizing of the brand is what happened when Ty (actually with sincerely good intentions) flooded the market with Beanie Babies, but at least they were doing it for the right reasons.

Ty never intended Beanie Babies to cost thousands of dollars; they were designed to be affordable for kids. Duffy was a collector's item that is now having that value washed away. It's a slap in the face to the fans that have supported him for years.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-13-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Last word for a while.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast