Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

One of the sale associates at my locate Disney Store saw me carrying around my Duffy (he was off to Build-a-Bear to get some new threads) and started talking to me excitedly about how I needed to come back mid-February as the store was going to start carrying Duffy items. I asked her if she meant the same things that could be purchased at the parks/online store and she said it would be a bit of that AND Disney Store exclusive merchandise, sorta like how some Vinylmations you can only buy at the Disney Store and not the parks. Needless to say I was pretty excited but I hadn't heard any of this news yet. I.E from this forum as that is where I get most of my Duffy knowledge. Anyone else hear this news? Hopefully this is true because more Duffy exposure will mean more and more people will purchase said goods and maybe we will get more down the line.

Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

It is true! I spoke with Monty Maldovan a few weeks ago at Downtown Disney and he said they have been doing a lot more with Duffy, including bringing him to the Disney Store and also preparing him for The Disney Channel. I'm not sure what we will see on TV, whether it is his own show or just appearances on another show, but it's exciting. They want Duffy to become more popular in the U.S. so they can introduce Shellie May. She was in the works for release in 2013, but because of the low popularity of Duffy in the U.S., they pushed it back for a few more years. This all came from "The Man" himself, Duffy artist, Monty Maldovan!
    Name:  IMG_2351 - Copy (533x800) (426x640).jpg
Views: 285
Size:  192.1 KB

O.O That would be so cool to see Duffy outfits in the Disney store that you can't find in the parks. Also if Duffy had his own tv show or short...I would be in heaven. I am so glad the U.S is making an effort to increase the fandom of Duffy. He is such a great bear and I take mine absolutely everywhere. If I go in my car he's in the passenger seat. If I go to work he's sitting on my desk. XD My co-workers actually wonder where Duffy is if I don't bring him to work. haha.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs down Re: Disney Store exclusive Duffy merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    This all came from "The Man" himself, Duffy artist, Monty Maldovan!
    I have nothing personal against Mr Maldovan, but he is certainly not "The Man" where Duffy is concerned. He's just a guy doing a job a corporation has tasked him to do. "The Man" is the Japanese visionary who saw the Disney Bear when it came to Japan in 2004, understood and imagined the full potential of the concept and campaigned to realize that vision starting in 2005, someone — and a tireless team of people — who have created storybooks and merchandising that breathed life and incomparable quality into Duffy. This is the team that created ShellieMay and to this day, even in their own storybooks, they remain uncredited as the authors and artists responsible.

Disney FAILED with Disney Bear and threw it away. The Japanese team made it work, made it popular and profitable, and now Disney is not only trying to reap in the cash, but also the accolades for a job they have not done and are not passionate about doing. And although the Disney version of Duffy is still as different from TDS releases as crane game counterfeits, the Walt Disney Company's unrivaled PR/marketing/merchandising/media/synergy machine is so big, so powerful that it will inevitably become dominanant, producing legions of fans followers who don't care about the injustice of this disparity and deception, and who happily fall in line to celebrate the US corporation and its employees for a victory they have not earned.

Stay tuned for the "official" announcement that Duffy's name, rebranding, and Tokyo merchandise have all been developed by Walt Disney Company and Monty Maldovan all along! This irony makes me sick.

If the television project is not firmly set in Cape Cod (and who can imagine that?), the sheer scale of it will steamroll OLC's vision and lead us down the path of total revisionist history. The way Disney sees dumbed-down Duffy will become the only truth most of the world knows or respects, and if the Japanese approach is even allowed to continue, it will merely be an unnecessary anomaly in a world where "good enough is good enough." An essential element of the Duffy brand as I understand it is an insatiable and almost irrational quest for perfect for perfect's sake. I find it difficult to imagine this will not soon be obliterated. I don't see any of this as good news.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-27-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Year clarification.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I will bet you dollars to donuts that Duffy's TV show will be something aimed at the 3-5 year old age group. UGH.

I gotta side with DuffyD on this one. Monty did not create Duffy. He's the main designer for the US Duffy team but he did not make Duffy who he is. That would be the team over in Japan.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I will bet you dollars to donuts that Duffy's TV show will be something aimed at the 3-5 year old age group. UGH.
    That is absolutely my expectation. I mean, I suppose it's within Disney's power to task the Imagineers who created Cape Cod and the Village Greeting Place (in the former, almost certainly American and the latter possibly being American-led with Japanese input). They could ask these talented environment designers to create sets and tap any of a number of stop-motion animation artists to work together to literally bring the plush bears to life. The show could feature in-jokes as clever as sailors' shanty work songs and have the age/gender-spanning charm of the new My Little Pony series that Gurgi mentioned…

But I bet it won't. I'm with Aimster. I only hope that I'm not so disappointed by the way this deluge of toddler fodder Duffy and its unfortunate and inevitable popularity begin to dominate the landscape that I lose the value of the Duffy I know and love.

I have no doubts that "Duffy 2.0" will be successful with the majority of mainstream shoppers who are just buying the latest trendy toy from old reliable Disney. Most people do not spend time on Disney chat boards. Most people won't know or care about the quality or integrity issues that more and more legitimize the fears and concerns I had ahead of the US/global rollout. Every time there's a new "official" announcement from Disney now, it just feels like more writing on the wall. But I hope I'm wrong.

How great will it be if DISNEY — with all its talent, power and resources — works with and credits the OLC Duffy Design Team to make the most amazing thing ever?! I would love to be very, very wrong about what I think is really going to happen.

I know I'm new to the forum, and I don't want to offend anyone, but I think part of the forum is to have discussions like this in a civilized manner.

First I want to start by saying, when I referred to Monty as "The Man" I didn't mean he created Duffy in any way. Notice I didn't credit him as being Duffy's creator, just an artist. He is the only person in the U.S. who I trust to give us insight into what is going on with Duffy. He knows what is coming down the pipeline because he is the one working on it.

As to the TV show, I've thought about the fact that it may be geared towards toddlers too, but it sounds like they are trying to get more people to know who Duffy is and more about his story. Adults here are so wary of the little guy because they see him as nothing but a money maker for Disney. They don't realize all the back story and where he really came from. You have to put it into the perspective that not all people who watch Disney Channel and go to the U.S. parks are going to know all about Tokyo Disney and Duffy's original story. I doubt they will base his story in Cape Cod because no one in the U.S. is familiar with this back story.

The U.S. parks will never be able to live up to the amazing things that OLC and TDS have done with Duffy and Shellie May. I don't expect it to ever be as big over here. But it's still something us U.S. fans want to see. It's like saying, I don't want my favorite new singer to become popular because then everyone will want a piece of them and they don't understand how it was in the beginning when they first started out.

We all should be able to enjoy Duffy! And he's getting out there being in Paris and Hong Kong now too. And they are more behind that the U.S. parks on who he is and his story. And I think that no matter what they do, the fans here will be happy to have what we can get with him. I will always remember where Duffy originated, I first met him in Japan. I love that little bear, and I'd hate to see him fade away in the U.S. parks. I don't think we should be denied that just because he didn't start in the U.S.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I do know that Monty honestly cares about Duffy and gets as frustrated as we do when his costume designs are "dumbed down" for public consumption (blame Disney's legal team for that). I'm sure he tries his best to get Duffy the recognition and respect he deserves, but corporate has other ideas.

And actually the Cape Cod story is somewhat similar to the US version, but at the same time different. So hopefully the story basics can be kept but... well, we'll see how that goes. I'll just try to be cautiously optimistic until we see what this really is.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm on the fence about this. I agree with most of what DuffyD said, but also I can see some of the other points.

The Cape Cod story is something I'm going to have to realize will never be part of the "global Duffy" story. It's a shame, because it fits so well, and the OLC version of Duffy has only benefited from it. However, most of his global fans won't ever get to see the Disney version of Cape Cod, or even know that it exists. Sure, it would be nice if Disney actually did nurture that story and make sure to do it in a way that people understood, but that't not typical Disney these days. So, we get the more generic version that we have now. That means that really, very few people outside of Japan will know his "roots". I've accepted that reality, because I don't see it changing.

On one hand, I'm glad that Disney may continue to develop Duffy, and provide more content related to him, so that he can build a fanbase. On the other, I'm afraid it really will be geared to the toddler set. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I have a sinking feeling. They have already gone that direction with him in the parks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up as a character on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or get a similar show of his own. The problem, is that severely limits Duffy's appeal, and further makes any adult fans without kids seem like real creepers.

I would love it if they developed a series for Duffy that is somewhere in the middle that even adults can get into, like Phineas and Furb, or Gravity Falls, or like Nickelodeon's Spongebob. There are tons of adult fans of those shows. Duffy could really use an "adventure" show that kids will love, but is closer to the Disney classic formula that hooks adults too. That would be my fantasy, but I'm betting reality will look more like "My Friends Tigger & Pooh" than anything more grown up...

It's going to really be an uphill battle to make sure people understand what it is about the original Duffy that we all know and love, if his popularity is only because of what the US will have done with him. Thousands of people will only know him from that series on Disney Channel, and from seeing him in the parks. It will not be quite authentic to Duffy's start, or representative of who he is in Japan. Anybody seeing one of us with our Duffy bears anywhere will automatically assume things about us, or assume things about Duffy because of the story the US team has laid out, and will be with said series. It will be a job to constantly say to people, "that's not the Duffy I love, that's the American version". Granted, that version is valid too, and lots of people will truly love that Duffy, but for those that notice the huge difference in quality and story between him and his Japanese cousin, it will be harder to bear...yes, pun intended.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I know I'm new to the forum, and I don't want to offend anyone, but I think part of the forum is to have discussions like this in a civilized manner.
    Totally right! New or not, I'm sure we all welcome your opinions and I, for one, am really happy to see new folks who actively post, even if I completely disagree. It gives us something to talk about and keeps things fresh. Don't worry, we're not so thin-skinned around here; I don't think you offended anyone at all!^^

First I want to start by saying, when I referred to Monty as "The Man" I didn't mean he created Duffy in any way. Notice I didn't credit him as being Duffy's creator, just an artist. He is the only person in the U.S. who I trust to give us insight into what is going on with Duffy. He knows what is coming down the pipeline because he is the one working on it.
    I tried to make it clear that my problem is with the lack of credit given to the Japanese team, relative to the huge attention this one American guy gets. I just don't think it's right or fair or worthy of my support. While you may not see Mr Maldovan as "The Man Behind Duffy," Naelyan, as I tried to articulate earlier, I believe that if things keep going the way they seem, most people certainly will. I think Aimster's explanation was appropriate and may help someone who does t know the history, and Aimster is a "true believer" that Monty Maldovan is fighting the good fight and sincerely wants to champion Duffy. Personally, I'm undecided. I've never met him. I just don't like all the attention he gets; it feels undeserved to me.

As to the TV show, I've thought about the fact that it may be geared towards toddlers too, but it sounds like they are trying to get more people to know who Duffy is and more about his story. Adults here are so wary of the little guy because they see him as nothing but a money maker for Disney. They don't realize all the back story and where he really came from. You have to put it into the perspective that not all people who watch Disney Channel and go to the U.S. parks are going to know all about Tokyo Disney and Duffy's original story. I doubt they will base his story in Cape Cod because no one in the U.S. is familiar with this back story.
    I share your doubt, Naelyan, but I'm confused. What's so great about getting people to know Duffy if you strip away all the elements that define him and make him special in the first place? Disney is not even doing Duffy; it's really just "Disney Bear 2.0: Marine-themed for No Apparent Reason." Park exclusivity, gone. Stand on his own two feet, gone. Deep seasonal ties with story and merchandising based around original artwork and concepts with charm and depth, gone. Quality, lowered. Message of Love and sharing, made into puns.

Wouldn't it be better if Disney was trying to share the story crafted by Japan that works? Wouldn't it be better if Disney was using its promotional power to help people become more familiar with Tokyo DisneySEA and The Oriental Land Company? Doesn't taking just the merchandise and promoting it through every channel possible with no integrity to the original Duffy nor honor to the artists who created, or at least, ensouled him sort of paint the picture that they are just in it for the money?

I absolutely have the perspective that most people will have no idea that Duffy (not the Disney Bear) is a Japanese creation, but I think that is a travesty. That a company the size of Disney should take de facto credit for others' work simply by hyping their guy and downplaying the actual history seems horribly wrong to me, like a kind of evil.

Especially when the artists who made Duffy work with Disney (even if not for Disney) — they are partners. Your reply makes me more convinced of the need to publicize Duffy's history, not less. Do you really think it's ok for Disney to make Duffy into something else and then promote that new thing as their own? That isn't what Japan did. Disney gave up, OLC made it work, then Disney saw the folks lining up and wanted a bigger slice of pie. I think the people who criticize US Duffy as a money-making ploy are right, but I'll be the first to jump for joy if those Disney Store releases next month are awesome!

The U.S. parks will never be able to live up to the amazing things that OLC and TDS have done with Duffy and Shellie May. I don't expect it to ever be as big over here. But it's still something us U.S. fans want to see. It's like saying, I don't want my favorite new singer to become popular because then everyone will want a piece of them and they don't understand how it was in the beginning when they first started out.
    No, it's really not like that at all. I hate that. I had a friend in high school who loved Nirvana before they got big — I mean he LOVED them! And then they were all over MTV and he's all, "They're such poseurs. They sold out." That's just ridiculous. Their music had the same intensity, musicality, and lyrical quality. Personally, I find Nevermind and In Utero to be more potent and fully developed than Bleach, but maybe I'm just too mainstream.

I find it completely inexplicable that Janelle Monae isn't the number one singer of every person everywhere in the free world, and I would set my iPhone on fire and vow never to listen to her again if I thought it would ensure that everyone else on Earth was taking the time and making the effort to really listen to her message on The Archandroid.

I was overjoyed when I learned that the latest Evangelion film, an animation series that played a significant role in my decision to move to Japan and one often described as "difficult" and "confusing," broke box office records when it released in Japan last year. And while some elements did pander, the essence of Evangelion is certainly intact. I could not be more pleased than to think that there are more and more non-otaku thinking about the issues this story presents in the way that it presents them.

We all should be able to enjoy Duffy! And he's getting out there being in Paris and Hong Kong now too. And they are more behind that the U.S. parks on who he is and his story. And I think that no matter what they do, the fans here will be happy to have what we can get with him. I will always remember where Duffy originated, I first met him in Japan. I love that little bear, and I'd hate to see him fade away in the U.S. parks. I don't think we should be denied that just because he didn't start in the U.S.
    As above, it is not about some petty desire to keep Duffy all to myself like a secret. I want very, very much for Duffy to be very, very popular in every demographic in region. That's such an obvious part of me that it feels strange to type it. What I DON'T want, what makes me just cringe inside, is for Duffy merchandise and storytelling to become watered down, charmless marketing gimmicks. What makes me want to cry is the idea that this lower-quality Duffy becomes so ubiquitous and accepted that even Duffy fans are happy just to take whatever they can get from the corporation. There is no need to impress fans who have that attitude. There is no need to wow or amaze. But the amazing wow is what Duffy's all about…or else he's just an overpriced, overhyped teddy bear with some Micktoos. I dunno what's so great about that. I certainly wouldn't defend, nor even condone, Duffy being made into that, promoted as that. I never will.

I don't think people around the world should be denied a true experience of Duffy magic just because they don't live in Tokyo and the US parks are pushing a version that is a shadow of the real thing, and strutting while they do it. I don't want anyone to be denied anything; I eagerly want people to know what Duffy is really like and that does not seem to be Disney's agenda.

How great will it be if they prove me wrong, though? I'd it!!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    The problem, is that severely limits Duffy's appeal, and further makes any adult fans without kids seem like real creepers.

It's going to really be an uphill battle to make sure people understand what it is about the original Duffy that we all know and love, if his popularity is only because of what the US will have done with him. Thousands of people will only know him from that series on Disney Channel, and from seeing him in the parks. It will not be quite authentic to Duffy's start, or representative of who he is in Japan. Anybody seeing one of us with our Duffy bears anywhere will automatically assume things about us, or assume things about Duffy because of the story the US team has laid out, and will be with said series. It will be a job to constantly say to people, "that's not the Duffy I love, that's the American version"…for those that notice the huge difference in quality and story between him and his Japanese cousin, it will be harder to bear...yes, pun intended.
    Yes, this.

I do agree with Aimster that anytime I have talked to Monty, he truly does care about Duffy and doesn't want him to get lost in the shuffle of marketing and money making. That was one of the reasons why they said they pushed back anything to do with Shellie May. They didn't feel that Duffy's story was well known and they didn't want to bring in this "new" character and have her overshadow Duffy in any way. From what I understand, a lot of the problems he has with costuming and products lies in that they want Duffy to be available to ALL ages, and with government regulations and safety concerns, they can't do a lot of what they want to do with the costuming.

I hope that Disney Channel doesn't dumb down the Duffy story and just add him into a toddler show. I think the reason they are going that direction with getting him out there is because, lets face it, the U.S. is a lazy country. The majority of people here don't go out looking for new and interesting things and they rely on television to tell them everything. I think part of the difference between the Japanese Duffy and the U.S. Duffy is that our cultures are so different. And yes, I agree that Disney does push things to make money, but isn't OLC and TDS making gobs of money off Duffy in Japan? But on the other hand, at least OLC is putting that money back into the park and making Duffy and Shellie May even more amazing. Maybe if people start seeing Duffy as more than just a bear, the U.S. will start giving us things like stage shows, accessories, and themed events in the parks.

I understand both sides to this argument! I don't want Duffy to become just another money hungry Disney marketing scam! He deserves to have his story told and become as much a part of the Disney parks as other beloved characters.

• Adventures with Duffy

I have been thinking of how to get my thoughts a crossed. Gurgi said way better then I could.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I'm on the fence about this. I agree with most of what DuffyD said, but also I can see some of the other points.

The Cape Cod story is something I'm going to have to realize will never be part of the "global Duffy" story. It's a shame, because it fits so well, and the OLC version of Duffy has only benefited from it. However, most of his global fans won't ever get to see the Disney version of Cape Cod, or even know that it exists. Sure, it would be nice if Disney actually did nurture that story and make sure to do it in a way that people understood, but that't not typical Disney these days. So, we get the more generic version that we have now. That means that really, very few people outside of Japan will know his "roots". I've accepted that reality, because I don't see it changing.

On one hand, I'm glad that Disney may continue to develop Duffy, and provide more content related to him, so that he can build a fanbase. On the other, I'm afraid it really will be geared to the toddler set. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I have a sinking feeling. They have already gone that direction with him in the parks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up as a character on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or get a similar show of his own. The problem, is that severely limits Duffy's appeal, and further makes any adult fans without kids seem like real creepers.

I would love it if they developed a series for Duffy that is somewhere in the middle that even adults can get into, like Phineas and Furb, or Gravity Falls, or like Nickelodeon's Spongebob. There are tons of adult fans of those shows. Duffy could really use an "adventure" show that kids will love, but is closer to the Disney classic formula that hooks adults too. That would be my fantasy, but I'm betting reality will look more like "My Friends Tigger & Pooh" than anything more grown up...

It's going to really be an uphill battle to make sure people understand what it is about the original Duffy that we all know and love, if his popularity is only because of what the US will have done with him. Thousands of people will only know him from that series on Disney Channel, and from seeing him in the parks. It will not be quite authentic to Duffy's start, or representative of who he is in Japan. Anybody seeing one of us with our Duffy bears anywhere will automatically assume things about us, or assume things about Duffy because of the story the US team has laid out, and will be with said series. It will be a job to constantly say to people, "that's not the Duffy I love, that's the American version". Granted, that version is valid too, and lots of people will truly love that Duffy, but for those that notice the huge difference in quality and story between him and his Japanese cousin, it will be harder to bear...yes, pun intended.
    I hope Disney is re-thinking their stores. When they first opened back in the 90's, they had stuff for adults, children, people of all ages(like they do in the parks). Then they sold the stores and bought them back. Now the stores are mostly for children, with a little area in the back of the store is items for adults. So is Duffy going to be seen as just another toy for kids? I hope not.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Munchings & Crunchings

I think that's what it all boils down to. I certainly don't disparage anyone loving US Duffy, but the main thing is the huge disparity in quality. It's hard to see everyone just accept what Disney gives them with Duffy, compared to the lavish quality he gets in Japan. I do agree completely, that we are two different cultures, and then add the rest of the world in, it gets even more complex. What do the French think of Duffy in their backyard, or what about Hong Kong?

The thing is, it's totally possible to deliver something like the Japanese level of enthusiasm and effort if Disney really wanted to get behind it. I do trust that Monty is trying, but it's just endemic of the Disney company to do things as cheaply as possible and expect fans to come running. Look at the latest "Limited Time Magic" promotion they have going on. It's the laziest, most boring "celebration" they've done yet, but they expect fans to eat it up.

It's like that across the board with Disney, it seems. There are so many lines of merchandise that they crank out, just expecting our huge, consumer culture to be there to buy it because it says "Disney" on it. I'm sure the people higher up who can make or break Duffy here, just care about the bottom line. They have no desire to truly make him something beyond a money maker. That's such shortsighted thinking, but not really all that surprising in today's corporate culture.

Even with a limited budget, and the constraints put on the Duffy team because of child safety laws, they could do something to make truly wonderful costumes. Build-a-Bear manages somehow...with some complex outfits. I do think that the recent costumes, like the PJ's, Peter Pan, and Mad Hatter are getting the quality better. But, I would really love to see some non-character costumes, and stuff that is better than the original EPCOT lineup.

A stage show would be great in the parks too. And, even if it has to be something like "My Friend Duffy", I guess I would put up with that. Because, let's be honest, in the US, the stage shows are never really adult affairs. But, Duffy needs something more. I truly hope Monty can influence, and the fact that they held ShellieMay back because they felt not enough attention was focused on branding Duffy, is a good sign, at least for now.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I have been thinking of how to get my thoughts a crossed. Gurgi said way better then I could.

I hope Disney is re-thinking their stores. When they first opened back in the 90's, they had stuff for adults, children, people of all ages(like they do in the parks). Then they sold the stores and bought them back. Now the stores are mostly for children, with a little area in the back of the store is items for adults. So is Duffy going to be seen as just another toy for kids? I hope not.
    That's a great point about the Disney Stores! I remember fondly the original stores. I lived near one of the big ones, and one of only two that had a "concept" restaurant attached, "Chef Mickey's". I loved that place! Back then, it truly was like an extension of the theme parks. You could get your Disney fix whenever you wanted. They had something for everyone, and the store was fairly evenly balanced. Lots of stuff for adults, and tons of collectibles to drool over. Then, they had the stuff for kids. So, an entire family could go in there and find something they liked. Now, it's basically a Wal-Mart toy department. I've actually stopped going, because there is just nothing that interests me at all in there anymore. It's all toys and kids apparel. Even the limited stuff for adults they have is not that interesting. When the original stores opened in 1987, there really weren't that many places you could get Disney merchandise like that. Sure, they had partnerships sometimes, like with Sears, or other department stores, but it was not as prolific as it is today. So, now, when you can go pretty much anywhere to buy Disney items, what really is the point of a dedicated Disney store anymore? Even UniQlo is selling several different lines of Disney character t-shirts. You can buy very similar toys at any toy store or big-box store, often for cheaper. So, again, what's the point? Disney has basically cannibalized it's own brand. I really, really don't want to see them do that to Duffy, where he becomes another throwaway item that people treat too casually and then discard. Poor bear...

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast