Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thoughts on Duffy Marketing in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I guess. But I really don't see how the message and heart of Stitch's stories could be seen as "not Disney,"
    EXACTLY! That's why I agree that some people just need something to complain about!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I guess. But I really don't see how the message and heart of Stitch's stories could be seen as "not Disney,"
    It's not his "story", it's his behavior.... all the haters see is he's destructive and obnoxious. They forget as the movie progressed he learned not to be so... destructive and obnoxious. I also know a lot of Disney fans did not like that one April Fool's Day (or whatever day it was) that Stitch took over the castle at WDW's Magic Kingdom and it was covered in "TP" and "graffiti".

I think that Americans are resistant to Duffy because theythink he’s an outsider infiltrating the “fab five” that they believe arehistoric. If you know nothing about Duffy, you come to a park and see this bearand might think Disney is selling out by creating another character just toearn profits. And realistically, in the US, they are right. We’ve establishedthat US Disney did not do an appropriate amount of marketing related to hislaunch (Duffy Count Down, Welcome Duffy Week etc.), and because of this, he’sjust a sort of random character that Americans don’t understand. Those of uswho take an interest and do more research find out the truth but I feel mostpeople will feel ambivalent or hostile towards Duffy until there is widerexposure. It’s so sad since EPCOT provides the perfect outlet for Duffy. Theycould easily build his story in the World Showcase – he’s a traveling bear afterall. Just throwing a greeting pavilion inthe front area clearly shows a complete lack of creativity.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    It’s so sad since EPCOT provides the perfect outlet for Duffy. Theycould easily build his story in the World Showcase – he’s a traveling bear afterall. Just throwing a greeting pavilion inthe front area clearly shows a complete lack of creativity.
    Finding a "home" for Duffy in the US parks is a huge challenge, since there are two different parks that Duffy is supposed to belong to. I don't think they'd want one coast who didn't have Duffy "living" there getting "Duffy envy" over the other.

But what kills me about EPCOT is that the US and Japan areas in World Showcase are next to each other. Even if Disney didn't do the Cape Cod theme, I don't see why Duffy couldn't have been portrayed as a link between the two nations (I know Disney doesn't like to acknowledge there's a fabulous set of parks in Japan they don't own, but Japanese items are popular with young people...as far as sales, I don't see how a Japanese-linked Disney item would be a liability). I guess his current location is more visible (? I haven't seen it in-person) but it could have had such an amazing theme if they would've moved it...whether they went the Cape Cod route or even just linked it to Japan in some way. Instead, I think they made it all about the traveling bear concept. Which is a big part of who Duffy is, but not the only part.

There's no Cape Cod-ish place for Duffy at DCA, though I suppose they could have put him in the less appealing Pacific Wharf area that is very actually rather near his meet-and-greet area in Paradise Pier. (Though that area is also primarily a food court.) That's the only "seaside" area I can think of in the park that is more of a place people "work" and less of a "vacation spot." Paradise Pier is much more charming, though, and even after Cars Land's opening, Paradise Pier is still my favorite land of the park, so I can't complain to see him there. Aside from the Golden State/Grizzly River Run area (not ocean-themed), the only other waterside options in the California parks would have been at Disneyland. But our main waterside area is themed vaguely after the American South (Critter Country), New Orleans, or the frontier...I'm not sure any of those are a good fit. There is the submarine lagoon that's currently classed as Tomorrowland (yeah, not great for Duffy).

And there's a small outdoor area that USED to be individually-powered motorboats similar to the Autopia and last I heard was a smoking section. I guess Duffy could go there, but it wouldn't be my first choice. (Unless they for some reason made an amazing Duffy RIDE to replace the unused space. They actually did once have a bear-themed ride there; they put some wooden cutouts of Gummi Bears characters and made the boat ride a trip through Gummi Glen. It was temporary, low capacity, and unimpressive, though cute enough to be mildly entertaining to fans of the show. Which is probably what any Duffy attraction would be in the US, though I don't see the boats coming back anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Finding a "home" for Duffy in the US parks is a huge challenge, since there are two different parks that Duffy is supposed to belong to. I don't think they'd want one coast who didn't have Duffy "living" there getting "Duffy envy" over the other.
    As luck would have it, that's a non-issue. Cape Cod is Duffy's hometown. There's a sign and everything.

Any attempt to establish some other location as the "home" where Duffy "lives" would cross a line so thick and red there may be blood. That would take us far beyond the cavalier disregard and reprehensible disrespect for Duffy's fans and legacy and plant us firmly in the zone of evil. I really hope their audacity doesn't stretch so far.

But what kills me about EPCOT is that the US and Japan areas in World Showcase are next to each other. Even if Disney didn't do the Cape Cod theme, I don't see why Duffy couldn't have been portrayed as a link between the two nations…Instead, I think they made it all about the traveling bear concept. Which is a big part of who Duffy is, but not the only part.
    This was always precisely what I imagined would happen if Duffy came to America, a dedicated "welcome center" where every day is the day of Duffy's arrival, just like every day is the 4th of July in Cape Cod. To be fair, they "kinda" went for it at DCA, but it's significantly underwhelming because it opened around the time, I think, as Cape Cod's fanglorious Village Greeting Place — the most layered, beautiful, loving meet 'n greet of all time (keeping in mind I've never actually visited other than the Tokyo parks and I'm totally biased!). And word to the wise, while I suspect the possibility of some Japanese design or at least heavy input (especially with the display costumes), most of both the conceptual design and detailed heavy lifting was almost undoubtedly undertaken with American Imagineers at the helm, to make sure it all integrated perfectly, as it does. WDC employs folks in the States who know exactly how to present Duffy in a compelling and timeless way. I just don't think they feel compelled to do so…and after that Easter thing and Father's Day and Mother's Day, I'm not sure the guy they've tasked with Duffy is the best man for the job.

There's no Cape Cod-ish place for Duffy at DCA, though I suppose they could have put him in the less appealing Pacific Wharf area that is very actually rather near his meet-and-greet area in Paradise Pier.
    EPCOT should be the big Welcome Center, and I think it should also have been the home of Minnie's Co-op Workshop, a kind of BAB on steroids, where guests could customize bears and outfits. This would have been the only way I'd have been on board with multicolored Duffys, though, and I'm not brokenhearted it didn't happen. But imagine Minnie's bear factory, moving parts and gears everywhere, designed by Imagineers. And a box, like BAB's, patterned like Aunt Peg's Village Store. Duffy should be a bridge. Ok, maybe I am a bit brokenhearted.

At Pacific Wharf/Paradise Pier, Duffy should've been on a little boat called the Friendship and this stop should have been presented as part of the journey taken with Mickey in My Friend Duffy. The American parks are not and cannot be Duffy's "home." That role is filled. But they could be important parts of his journey and story. He could truly be "at home" there…if only they wanted to make the effort of being good hosts and treating him the way he's used to.

When I was in Walt DisneyWorld and saw Duffy plastered everywhere, I asked who "The Disney bear" was. The first cast member casually said, "oh, it's some bear that was popular in Japan and then they brought him here about 2 years ago." It was only after Duffy grew on me that I purchased the Dated Duffy (2013 red/blue outfit) and THAT cast member said, "do you know the story of Duffy?" and when I said no, he proceeded to tell me (although it wasn't until I got home that I found out about the pre-Duffy bears that were originally sold at the Once upon a Toy store). He even told me that they have the Duffy story on the hotel channel from 6-10 p.m.

However, when I was at Epcot, I saw Duffy at his greeting place, went up to him (food in one hand, one-arm hug for him with the other) and said, "DUFFFYYYYY!" He acted like he wanted to eat my food and then kept walking! I said, hey, Duffy, isn't this where I can get your picture? Come back!" He kept walking and the cast members offered no explanation. So no Duffy meet and greet for me.

He definitely grew on me and when I read his story, I could instantly identify, as I love to travel myself and have been to all 50 states. Yup, he and the naked Duffy came home with me for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by JillT View Post
    …However, when I was at Epcot, I saw Duffy at his greeting place, went up to him (food in one hand, one-arm hug for him with the other) and said, "DUFFFYYYYY!" He acted like he wanted to eat my food and then kept walking! I said, hey, Duffy, isn't this where I can get your picture? Come back!" He kept walking and the cast members offered no explanation. So no Duffy meet and greet for me…
    There's "uninvested" and then there's this. That's just some new kinda totally crazy! I'm glad that didn't turn you off Duffy forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12