Saw a Duffy bear in the UK today!

Apart from mine that is!

I went out to a model railway exhibition with Dad today, and lots of the children take toys with them (and I usually take Duffy!).

Well, I was looking at one display, and I thought - I know those feet being held next to me!

Looked around, and sure enough, a boy in his dads arms was clutching a Duffy very tightly to him!

It was one of the new Disney Store Duffys, with the waffle fur - don't think I like that fur much - but the boy obviously was very attached to Duffy.

I showed him my Duffy (had got Lil Duff, the 12 inch size with me), and I said, "I've got Little Duffy here", and the boy went "I've got a big Duffy! and hugged him! Too cute!

That's the first Duffy I've seen in the UK though apart from mine. I know the boy probably doesn't know the back story, but he seemed to love him lots though. Maybe as he grows up he will learn more about where Duffy really comes from. Fingers crossed!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Saw a Duffy bear in the UK today!

Even the Duffys in the US parks have had that icky waffle fur for over a year now. So the little boy either got it there or at a a Disney Store since they started carrying Duffy in the UK stores before they started carrying him in the US stores.

Awwww that's a really cute story. ^_^

It is a charmingly adorable story, JayCee. But my takeaway from this and the story of the little girl at Disney Store is that "good enough is good enough" for kids, which is where Disney is trying to force Duffy. I think kids deserve magic. Japanese kids get it, why not everywhere? Plus I was thinking about it, with all the separate pieces and shoes, a Duffy outfit isn't much more expensive than a complete BAB outfit. Even compared with BAB's fantastic quality, OLC is of a different order. Thicker, better stitched, more beautifully designed and themed directly to memories. I'm glad for kids to love Duffy, but I don't think they deserve less just cos they'll accept it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Plus I was thinking about it, with all the separate pieces and shoes, a Duffy outfit isn't much more expensive than a complete BAB outfit.
    Ummm... not really. If you buy an outfit that consists of a shirt and pants (not separates), average price is $12.50. Then $6 or $7 for shoes (if you want them)... That's under $20 for a full outfit (before tax of course). In comparison, even the cheapest Duffy outfit from TDS is over $30 US.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ummm... not really. If you buy an outfit that consists of a shirt and pants (not separates), average price is $12.50. Then $6 or $7 for shoes (if you want them)... That's under $20 for a full outfit (before tax of course). In comparison, even the cheapest Duffy outfit from TDS is over $30 US.
    I'm comparing to BAB prices here, in the same currency and economy. I don't think it's fair to compare them across economies; there are lots of factors then. But in Japan, TDS outfits are comparable in cost to a complete BAB outfit (or cheaper in many cases, actually). This is also true of Duffy costumes in Japan, but the quality comparison makes BAB the clear winner there.