Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Quality of Duffy fur

I think if Oriental Land Company had created Duffy from the start, it would be much easier for the public/media/Disney to give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately, since the original carnation of Duffy (the Disney Bear) was, in fact, a Disney idea, it makes things much more complicated. Part of the deal Oriental Land made when they licensed the parks was that they couldn’t go rouge. They had to uphold Disney values. They are not allowed to arbitrarily introduce new characters.

They brilliantly thought ‘outside the box’ by taking a throwaway character and developing him into a star. This is an ingenious way to use their creativity to establish something of their own. But, due to their relationship with Disney, this meant that they were required to share Duffy with the entire Disney Corporation.
    Realistically, I don’t think the Japanese business model translates as well to the US market. The collectors market is different here. Think about BAB and American Girl dolls. Their target market is kids. Whereas it seems the serious Duffy fans (like me) are adults. With this in mind, I think they are trying to target kids instead of serious collectors. If this is their target market, they can cut on quality, because, most kids really won’t care if their Duffy has toes. (I wish mine did!) It is also evident in their choice to only sell costumes for Duffy instead of street clothes.
    In retrospect, I think Disney should have respected the Japanese team enough to leave Duffy alone. Perhaps they could have sold his authentic DTS in the Japan section of EPCOT, but it devalues the artists to try to capitalize on Duffy at any cost.

For selfish reasons, I’m glad Duffy is at WDW. But, for the good of the character, Disney should have left him alone and allowed DTS to have their own character.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

You said that so well that I'm unsure how I feel about all of the very true points you made and the conclusions you draw… I'm just speechless.

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    I think if Oriental Land Company had created Duffy from the start, it would be much easier for the public/media/Disney to give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately, since the original carnation of Duffy (the Disney Bear) was, in fact, a Disney idea, it makes things much more complicated. Part of the deal Oriental Land made when they licensed the parks was that they couldn’t go rouge. They had to uphold Disney values. They are not allowed to arbitrarily introduce new characters.

They brilliantly thought ‘outside the box’ by taking a throwaway character and developing him into a star. This is an ingenious way to use their creativity to establish something of their own. But, due to their relationship with Disney, this meant that they were required to share Duffy with the entire Disney Corporation.
    Realistically, I don’t think the Japanese business model translates as well to the US market. The collectors market is different here. Think about BAB and American Girl dolls. Their target market is kids. Whereas it seems the serious Duffy fans (like me) are adults. With this in mind, I think they are trying to target kids instead of serious collectors. If this is their target market, they can cut on quality, because, most kids really won’t care if their Duffy has toes. (I wish mine did!) It is also evident in their choice to only sell costumes for Duffy instead of street clothes.
    In retrospect, I think Disney should have respected the Japanese team enough to leave Duffy alone. Perhaps they could have sold his authentic DTS in the Japan section of EPCOT, but it devalues the artists to try to capitalize on Duffy at any cost.

For selfish reasons, I’m glad Duffy is at WDW. But, for the good of the character, Disney should have left him alone and allowed DTS to have their own character.

Where the like button?

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post

Wow, I to that succinct explanation.

I think I can finally say that mgmenning pretty much summed up how I feel about the Duffy/OLC/WDC stuff. I'm not always good at putting my words on paper/in type. That's why I tend to bow out on these conversations!
    But I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts! I hate what they are doing with Duffy (or what they aren't doing) here in the US, but I would be completely crushed and devestated if they took him away or he didn't succeed.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I think I can finally say that mgmenning pretty much summed up how I feel about the Duffy/OLC/WDC stuff. I'm not always good at putting my words on paper/in type. That's why I tend to bow out on these conversations!
    But I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts! I hate what they are doing with Duffy (or what they aren't doing) here in the US, but I would be completely crushed and devestated if they took him away or he didn't succeed.
    I agree with your last sentence. If WDC didn't bring Duffy over to DCA, I never would've found out about him. But at the same time, the character isn't being treated properly over here IMO. It's a double-edged sword for me but ultimately I'm glad Duffy was (re-)brought over here and hope he can find success in the US Parks too. I hope it isn't too late for them to revert Duffy back into the wonderful character OLC created for him (where he is pretty much a full-fledged character).

To be fair – I don’t think the Disney Corp consciously decided to give Duffy such haphazard treatment, they just took the shortcut. Which, as we discussed, is worse than not doing anything at all. Clearly Duffy is not a priority, instead just a little side-project. It’s really sad, since we know that when Disney does invest in something, they can do amazing things. That’s why people keep coming back to the parks. If they continue to do a half @ss job on things, Disney will lose its appeal. What’s the difference between Universal Studios and Disney? The time, effort and imagination in execution. If Disney continues to skimp on projects, they will turn into just another theme park.

And now - I'm going to get off my soap box, and focus on something more positive. Like the upcoming Spring Voyage!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123