Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: TDR 3oth Anniversary Happiness is Here outfit!

I would have loved to see a 30th anniversary tux on Duffy!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I would have loved to see a 30th anniversary tux on Duffy!
    You never know, you might just get your wish. For TDS's 10th anniversary, they released one set of costumes at the beginning, and another, fancier set near the end. So, maybe they'll do the same for TDL's 30th? I hope so, I'd love to see something more formal too, especially a tux for Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    You never know, you might just get your wish. For TDS's 10th anniversary, they released one set of costumes at the beginning, and another, fancier set near the end. So, maybe they'll do the same for TDL's 30th? I hope so, I'd love to see something more formal too, especially a tux for Duffy.
    I forgot about that! That would be awesome!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Thanks for the info, gurgi. I did not know that. I like ShellieMay's dress, but Duffy's outfit doesn't impress me as much. I've been debating whether I wanted to get his if I do decide to purchase some costumes. Guilt keeps urging me to get his costume too, so Duffy won't feel neglected, but I can't help but glance at that outfit and think ...that's... interesting .

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    ...but I can't help but glance at that outfit and think ...that's... interesting .
    That's kind of what I was thinking! I'm just not sure about it, but I will get it anyway. If I get Shellie May's outfit, I have to get Duffy's. I'm really OCD that way with having coordinating outfits for them both!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Yeah, I feel really compelled to get Duffy's 30th anniversary outfit if I get Shellie May's, but I'm concerned that when I present Duffy with his outfit, he's going to look at me and say, "Why?! Why, dear L-rd, why did get me this? You don't really expect me to wear this, do you?" But if I only buy Shellie May an outfit, I'm worried Duffy will pour on the guilt and state, "Sure would've been nice if you'd bought me a 30th anniversary outfit." I don't know which sentiment of his will hurt me more: the guilt or the anguish.

• Happy Holidays

I don't know which sentiment of his will hurt me more: the guilt or the anguish.
    ZTRinZler, look at it this way, if Duffy pours on the guilt, just tell him that you thought he wouldn't like it. Show him a picture and see his reaction. It will likely be:

"Gee...you are right...I wouldn't want to wear that!"

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

..."Why?! Why, dear L-rd, why did get me this? You don't really expect me to wear this, do you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    ZTRinZler, look at it this way, if Duffy pours on the guilt, just tell him that you thought he wouldn't like it. Show him a picture and see his reaction. It will likely be:

I don't think it's nearly as bad as all that. It's an odd choice to make the shorts and shoes silver, certainly, but the top and hat (which I suppose constitute the full costume by some ways of thinking) are a perfect match and totally make my Funderful dream come true. I don't think we've entered the territory of "unwearable."

The silver shorts and shoes also appear to be very well made and detailed... I'm just not sure what they go with yet if they don't go with this (and I'm thinking maybe they don't.). It's an odd color combo decision, but all the pieces are very well made and charming, even if I can't quite understand why the bottom two are with the top two!

That is such good advice, Ilovegreataur! Duffy probably would say something along those lines once I show the outfit and then he'd continue, with the biggest chesire grin ever , "Don't feel guilty. You can just buy me something from Build a Bear, or design me an outfit, with whatever money you would have earmarked for that awful monstrosity."

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

I don't think it's nearly as bad as all that. It's an odd choice to make the shorts and shoes silver, certainly, but the top and hat (which I suppose constitute the full costume by some ways of thinking) are a perfect match and totally make my Funderful dream come true. I don't think we've entered the territory of "unwearable."

The silver shorts and shoes also appear to be very well made and detailed... I'm just not sure what they go with yet if they don't go with this (and I'm thinking maybe they don't.). It's an odd color combo decision, but all the pieces are very well made and charming, even if I can't quite understand why the bottom two are with the top two!
    I know the hat is supposed to be Duffy's version of Mickey's golden top hat, but I will admit that the first time I saw this outfit, I couldn't prevent myself from saying, "That's a top hat?! Really?!" With that red scarf, I just assumed the hat was a scout/camper's uniform hybrid hat designed to complement the camper's uniform-style look. The color combination doesn't really bother me. Jewelry often has a two-toned gold and silver option, and I've seen many women beautifully match gold and silver apparel. The look itself is what perplexes me. Whenever I see this outfit, I automatically think of a camper's uniform, specifically the one Sam wore in Moonrise Kingdom.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I know the hat is supposed to be Duffy's version of Mickey's golden top hat, but I will admit that the first time I saw this outfit, I couldn't prevent myself from saying, "That's a top hat?! Really?!"
    Really no. It's a sailor's uniform, and that's a sailor's scarf. It's not a camp uniform; it's a sailor suit, which is, even in the US, Duffy's pure form costume (although my Duffy's is now this year's Sweet Duffy). It was never a top hat. But now I can understand your shock.

I couldn't remember Suzy's yellow dress, so I saw Moonrise Kingdom again at the Ikspiari late show for ¥1000 last night after hanging out at TDS with a friend. It's the very last very short scene. Suzy's is really yellow and white, like the pink and white that is her base costume, but there's something there of Shellie's Happiness dress.

That's my bears' favorite movie ever and they both decided to take on the voices of those characters after the first time I saw it (they see what I see^^). Because of you, ZT, both of them have fiercely demanded these costumes...right now! They are very upset when I explain that they haven't been released yet and now neither is talking to me. They just listen to orchestral records and huff.

They love how similar New Penzance is to Cape Cod, and I didn't notice until last night...but Bruce Willis's character's name is actually "Duffy!"

• Lemony Goodness

DD found this twitter account that has the badges of Happiness bears. On the second page, top left, is that the Happiness Pendant, perhaps?

http://t.co/0QimqX67

I knew it wasn't really a camper's uniform, but since it so closely resembled one and because the execution didn't match what I presumed was the intended design, I labeled it as such. A gold and silver toned sailor's uniform for Duffy's outfit in honor of TDR's 30th anniversary makes sense, but this realization doesn't further entice me. When I think of a sailor's uniform, I automatically assume color standards of white, navy blue, khaki, gray, etc. The yellow-but-supposed-to-be-gold and silver uniform slightly riles the feathers of my rigidly defined navy- and sailor-related color scheme plumage.

It's cute that OLC decided to jazz up Duffy's characteristic sailor uniform, but anniversary celebrations like these are some of the reasons why I further lament Shellie May not having a better character uniform than the skirt and bloomers (but no shirt!) set. Knowing what I know now about Duffy's TDR 30th anniversary outfit, I feel as if Shellie May has lost some of her independence in a way...if that makes sense. Mickey has a golden tuxedo and top hat for the celebration, Duffy has his gold and silver sailor's uniform, Minnie is wearing a golden dress, and Shellie May...well, Shellie May is wearing a gold shirt and skirt ensemble that resembles Minnie's golden dress. A little disappointed and saddened, but I still Shellie May's outfit, though.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I knew it wasn't really a camper's uniform, but since it so closely resembled one and because the execution didn't match what I presumed was the intended design, I labeled it as such. A gold and silver toned sailor's uniform for Duffy's outfit in honor of TDR's 30th anniversary makes sense, but this realization doesn't further entice me. When I think of a sailor's uniform, I automatically assume color standards of white, navy blue, khaki, gray, etc. The yellow-but-supposed-to-be-gold and silver uniform slightly riles the feathers of my rigidly defined navy- and sailor-related color scheme plumage.
    As far as the execution matching their intention, I think the designers nailed it, as always...except for too much silver with the pants. Mickey's shoes are silver with his costume (which I personally don't love), so Duffy's shoes were gonna be silver. I'd have preferred golden yellow or even red (although that may have been too much like clown shoes and I may have decided I hated it). It's like with Halloween Parade last year, it's just not to my taste. I love the top part, and I love the bottom part...but not together.

Unlike Halloween Parade, though, I will buy this to assemble my own Funderful outfit. I don't think it's "but-supposed-to-be" other colors; the colors look perfect (except for the jarring silver) for both the 30th and Funderful. This is one time when I really love the Badges, too, because A)no pants (also a first for a "LIKE" and B) they'll match the Funderful Badges that were available for a limited time last year. That's great for me personally, as I had often thought of taking those outfits off the Mouses to put on the bears, cos I want Funderful Duffys... But like you, ZT, I can't stand for the bears to be in Mickey and Minnie's costumes. I totally get that! I like them to "fit in" with the Mouses and match the vibe, but I don't like their costumes to be simple derivations. I don't really feel like Shellie's is, but that's probably just because I paid attention to it first. Looking back at Minnie's now and comparing, there are many similarities. Still, Shellie's is awesome!

It doesn't bother me that it's not navy and white, just like it doesn't bother me that Minnie's dress isn't red with white polka dots. And although there is no red in the Khaki Scout uniform, and the scarf is actually the yellow and trim accent color, it does remind me of it somehow. If it was the same colors as the My Friend Duffy Sailor it would be the My Friend Duffy Sailor, but it also wouldn't make me think of the Khaki Scouts, so I love that part of it a lot.

It's cute that OLC decided to jazz up Duffy's characteristic sailor uniform, but anniversary celebrations like these are some of the reasons why I further lament Shellie May not having a better character uniform than the skirt and bloomers (but no shirt!) set... A little disappointed and saddened...
    Yeah, I love how "natural"-looking Shellie's basic set is, but I often wish it wasn't topless. I had never thought of it as a callback to Minnie's classic design, though (who said that??...sorry), but I think now that was probably the intention and inspiration. It looks great with the CCC Autumn blouse and Winter cardigan, though it would've been nice to cover her top out of the gate. It might have been nice to do red stripes across her bow and skirt, like the basic set, and make the skirt the same lengh and shape, and have a red "S" stitched on the bloomers... That may have given it more specifically "Shellie" flavor, but I think I prefer the finished design they went with rather than all those lines going on. On the base set, the colors are neutral and muted. With yellow and red, they'd have been glowing. The "S" on the bloomers really would've been a nice touch, though. Darn.^^

Shellie's outfit reminds me of Shirley Temple's dresses so cute and retro.

I agree that the color match for the outfit for Duffy is odd.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast