Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Re: TDR 3oth Anniversary Happiness is Here outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    As far as the execution matching their intention, I think the designers nailed it...
    Having been recently enlightened to the fact that Duffy’s outfit is a variation of his sailor’s uniform, I believe the design team did a good job executing their intentions. When I saw the TDR de ASOBLOG photos of Mickey and Minnie and of Duffy and Shellie May in their respective 30th Anniversary outfits, I automatically assumed the bears were wearing variations of Mickey and Minnie’s outfits, and I just couldn’t fathom the design of Duffy’s outfit. It wasn’t a tux, and it resembled something akin to a camper’s uniform, but I wasn’t sure what it was. I think the design initially lends itself to interpretation, but I don’t view this aforementioned trait in this context as a problem or a design flaw. I no longer perceive Duffy’s outfit as a monstrosity because I know what the design is, but I don’t feel any more inclined to buy it than I previously felt. His outfit no longer evokes a flabbergasted, WTF response from me, but it’s still not my cup of tea.

It's like with Halloween Parade last year, it's just not to my taste.
    Yeah, I didn’t like the Halloween Parade ladybug costumes.

...I don't think it's "but-supposed-to-be" other colors; the colors look perfect (except for the jarring silver) for both the 30th and Funderful...It doesn't bother me that it's not navy and white, just like it doesn't bother me that Minnie's dress isn't red with white polka dots. And although there is no red in the Khaki Scout uniform, and the scarf is actually the yellow and trim accent color, it does remind me of it somehow. If it was the same colors as the My Friend Duffy Sailor it would be the My Friend Duffy Sailor, but it also wouldn't make me think of the Khaki Scouts, so I love that part of it a lot.
    When I wrote “yellow-but-supposed-to-be-gold,” I simply meant that I perceive the golden color of Duffy’s outfit more as a hue within the warm yellow shade. I know the 30th Anniversary color scheme is gold, so I know the outfits should be/are gold, but I don't truly classify them as gold. Whatever the color’s classification, it’s still a vibrant and pretty color, and I think the colors in his outfit complement each other well enough. I don’t normally associate such colors with nautically related themes, and when pertaining to anything nautical, I’m a bit rigid which is also the reason why I didn’t initially realize Duffy’s 30th Anniversary outfit was a jazzed up sailor’s uniform. Even from a young age, I’ve always had a rigidly defined classification of a nautical color scheme, so when someone includes colors I don’t consider nautical, the inclusion slightly annoys me, but I quickly and easily rectify the annoyance by re-categorizing the colors as nautical-like, not nautical but nautical-like. I was the child who, when shopping for a nautical themed top, would only accept a navy blue and white, horizontally striped shirt with an anchor. The same shirt with navy blue and green stripes was nautical-like, but it wasn’t nautical. Go figure.

I don't really feel like Shellie's is, but that's probably just because I paid attention to it first. Looking back at Minnie's now and comparing, there are many similarities. Still, Shellie's is awesome!
    When I compare the Mickey and Minnie photo to that featuring Duffy and Shellie May, I see Shellie May’s ensemble as a variation of Minnie’s white polka-dotted, yellow/gold dress. The similarities are too strong for me to conceive Shellie May’s outfit as anything other than a variation on Minnie’s dress. Because Shellie May’s ensemble includes a bow almost identical to Minnie’s and a top, with what appears to be white polka dots, I see her 30th Anniversary outfit more as a variation of Minnie’s than a gussied up variation of her iconic skirt and bloomer set. Minnie’s red belt simply became Shellie May’s red scarf/tie. But I still Shellie May's dress, though.

...I had never thought of it as a callback to Minnie's classic design, though (who said that??...sorry), but I think now that was probably the intention and inspiration.
    I always thought Duffy and Shellie May’s signature outfits were throwbacks to the designs Mickey and Minnie wore in their first sketches and animated features, but I feel Shellie May got the short end of the stick. Shellie May just can’t go walkin’ around topless like that. This ain’t Bourbon Street.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Duffy's isn't really like classic Mickey at all, but Shellie's is, except she has Minnie's modern bow (as does Daisy) instead of her classic flower (like Clarice).

And "This ain't Bourbon Street!" Amen!

Duffy's isn't really like classic Mickey at all, but Shellie's is, except she has Minnie's modern bow (as does Daisy) instead of her classic flower (like Clarice).

And "This ain't Bourbon Street!" Amen!
    I don't think Duffy's outfit is like Mickey's iconic red shorts, if that's what you mean by classic Mickey. I see Duffy's sailor outfit and Shellie May's skirt and bloomer set as homage to Mickey and Minnie's official debut in Steamboat Willie. When the audience first sees Mickey, he acts somewhat like a sailor--a captain even, with his steering the boat and wearing a hat. Of course, the audience quickly learns that Mickey is a sailor at best and is probably considered to be nothing more than a lowly deckhand by Black Pete. Duffy's outfit reminds me of Mickey in Steamboat Willie and of Mickey when he appeared in concept art sketches wearing a more defined sailor's uniform with a neckerchief, shirt, and shorts/high-water trouser.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Yeah, I figured it was something like that; I knew it wasn't the shorts, anyway! But I think Duffy's sailor concept has nothing to do with Steamboat Willie, and little to nothing to do with Mickey's design. It has everything to do, I think, with both establishing his specific home in Cape Cod and also as a mascot for DisneySEA generally. I suspect any parallel to Steamboat Willie is just a happylucky accident.^^

I don't know why but I just like believing that within Duffy's sailor uniform's shout-out to CapeCod and Tokyo DisneySea, there is a subtle head nod to Mickey's pseudo-sailor origins. To each his/her own.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

It is a charming bonus, for sure.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

As you can see, the silver pattern is incorporated throughout the outfit, and the effect of the silver swirls on the yellow shirt with the silver jacquard patterning on the shorts is both subtle and sophisticated. I crazy love this now! It isn't meant to be nautical, really, but rather celebratory. It's not a gold/red version of a sailor's outfit, but rather a Happiness color version of Duffy's outfit. It's hard to see in the photo, but even the yellow fabric of the hat is the jacquard swirl texture.

I do wish they'd done the stripes on Shellie's dress and bow, and made her bow shaped more like her basic one. The skirt actually does seem to be more like the weight and shape of her basic skirt than I thought from the previous image. And those are not polka dots, but swirly patterns, like Duffy's. They may be dots after all...it's hard to tell.

Honestly, in light of ZT's observations about Shellie's costume resembling Minnie's more than her own Basic Set (which knocked it down a peg), I think I now love both of these equally. I what they did with Duffy's shorts! Here's the pics!

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-22-2013 at 07:35 AM.

DuffyDaisuki ; Looking at Duffy's outfit up close in that photo I have to admit I do like it now. I like how they incorporated the silver into the yellow. It is definitely something magical.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

DuffyD, thank you for posting up-close photos. I definitely have a different opinion of the outfit now. ILG

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    DuffyD, thank you for posting up-close photos. I definitely have a different opinion of the outfit now. ILG
    Thank YOU for the easier shorthand with your screenname, ILG! I'll be honest, I had already experienced wanting it! Can I ask, too, what's a "Greataur?" I didn't bother to search, sorry. I'd rather hear it from you.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for that! Now it makes more sense. They tied in the silver by having all of the accents silver. So, it does make Duffy's shorts look better in context. It is basically his My Friend Duffy costume, in the Happiness colors.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

To be honest, ILoveGreataur is an anagram of my name (first and maiden) and it is (now by default) the name of the rather large Camarasaurus tattooed on my abdomen.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Thanks for that! Now it makes more sense. They tied in the silver by having all of the accents silver. So, it does make Duffy's shorts look better in context. It is basically his My Friend Duffy costume, in the Happiness colors.
    Not only that, but the gorgeous, subtle-but-very-present texture on the shorts and hat echoed by the silver print (different medium, same color and shape) creates a very interesting simultaneously subdued and also kinetic dynamic.

I mean, I really fluffing love these now! For me it's not that the shorts look better with the other stuff anymore...it's that the shorts are so fluffiing GORGEOUS that the rest of the outfit just gets to go with them!

And! And! They'll be PERFECT for bottoms in a prince costume, or a knight. They just look so regal, and the hat, too! I mean, I really really REALLY this one now! And I really didn't think it was possible, from the first image we got.

And! And! I can still use the separates to make a Funderful outfit! And! And! It looks like it may be heavy velour and I may even be able to combine it with just the right (no white cuff) Santa pants and make it work!

Thanks for answering my question, IGL. I'mo' go learn what a "Camillasaurus Rexoraptorus" is!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Learning is fun! That's a BIG thing to have on your belly! I better sleep now.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    DuffyD, I'll check BAB next Tuesday to see if they have any satin items. ILG
    Don't know how I missed this. Thank you. But please don't buy me anything until AFTER we come to an agreement about exactly how much I will pay and what the transaction entails. If you buy something first, then I'll feel obligated to purchase it whether I have actually made the decision to spend that money or not, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into first, as I imagine you can understand. But maybe you could just take a few photos (with price tags^^) if you see anything good? After the larger photos, I'm thinking like crushed velvet kinda. Whaddya think?

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    DD...is that the Happiness Pendant, perhaps?
    Yes.^^

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast