Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Tell about YOUR Duffy!

ZTRinZler, I'm an M83 fan too (and Duffy likes them as well)! I saw them at the House of Blues in Orlando last fall and it was an AMZAZING show.

Oh and my Duffy loves music too... mostly 80s stuff and some classic rock, disco... he loves to dance.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    ZTR: I wish my number was 26!! My number was actually in the 2000's, but I grayed it out just to be safe. (trolls could easily find out my full name and address with the number) The red number is actually "20" because it was the twentieth anniversary of the marathon. On a side note, it was also my birthday, which is why I was wearing the pin. It was a spectacular day!
    Ah, I gotcha! That's really awesome, mgmenning. Completing a marathon on your birthday sounds like a pretty cool and unique gift to one's self for the personal gratification and spiritual satisfaction such an endeavor brings. I tip the koala bear ear hat I am currently wearing off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    ZTRinZler, I'm an M83 fan too (and Duffy likes them as well)! I saw them at the House of Blues in Orlando last fall and it was an AMZAZING show.

Oh and my Duffy loves music too... mostly 80s stuff and some classic rock, disco... he loves to dance.
    Oh, hooray!! I'm so happy to know there's another M83 fan on MiceChat. My friends and I saw them at the House of Blues in New Orleans on Tuesday, October 9th of last year. The place was packed, and we were on the floor front and center. It was amazing watching them perform, and the ball of energy that is Jordan Lawlor (guy with the curly, blond hair wearing the half black, half white "cookie" shirt) was truly mesmerizing. I walked away that night with a guitar pick and a drumstick. I took pics and recorded some of the songs, so Duffy and Shellie May got to enjoy their own little M83 concert when my friends and I crashed at my place later that night. I made a "Constellation Black" M83 shirt and am trying to replicate both the "City Is My Church" and Jordan Lawlor's "cookie" shirt, so Duffy and Shellie May can show their M83 pride when I wear my Jordan Lawlor "cookie" shirt or other M83 apparel. I know. I'm kinda crazy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    Ah,
    Oh, hooray!! I'm so happy to know there's another M83 fan on MiceChat. My friends and I saw them at the House of Blues in New Orleans on Tuesday, October 9th of last year. The place was packed, and we were on the floor front and center. It was amazing watching them perform, and the ball of energy that is Jordan Lawlor (guy with the curly, blond hair wearing the half black, half white "cookie" shirt) was truly mesmerizing. I walked away that night with a guitar pick and a drumstick. I took pics and recorded some of the songs, so Duffy and Shellie May got to enjoy their own little M83 concert when my friends and I crashed at my place later that night. I made a "Constellation Black" M83 shirt and am trying to replicate both the "City Is My Church" and Jordan Lawlor's "cookie" shirt, so Duffy and Shellie May can show their M83 pride when I wear my Jordan Lawlor "cookie" shirt or other M83 apparel. I know. I'm kinda crazy like that.
    That's awesome. I stayed in the back at my show (on the floor, but I was crafty and snagged a barstool to sit on back there... I'm too old for that standing at a GA concert anymore... I've paid my dues). I got into M83 last summer when a friend made me a mix CD and put "Midnight City" on it. I was instantly hooked (I love how it sounds so 80s, almost like old Depeche Mode), then I saw the videos for "Midnight City" and "Reunion" on YouTube (with the freaky kids) and was just in awe. When I found out they were coming to Orlando, I immediately bought a ticket. I would definitely see them again.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    That's awesome. I stayed in the back at my show (on the floor, but I was crafty and snagged a barstool to sit on back there... I'm too old for that standing at a GA concert anymore... I've paid my dues). I got into M83 last summer when a friend made me a mix CD and put "Midnight City" on it. I was instantly hooked (I love how it sounds so 80s, almost like old Depeche Mode), then I saw the videos for "Midnight City" and "Reunion" on YouTube (with the freaky kids) and was just in awe. When I found out they were coming to Orlando, I immediately bought a ticket. I would definitely see them again.
    As long as you enjoyed yourself, that’s all that matters. I’ll admit that for concerts, regardless if they’re GA or assigned seats, I prefer front and center, but I’m not gonna judge anyone. Plus, sometimes being away from the action is beneficial. During parts of the show, this really nice, yet kind of personal space-invading British chick kept trying to get me to dance with her and her friends because they loved my silver-blue eyes and thought they were like the “Midnight City” kids’ glowing eyes.

I the "Midnight City" video trilogy. The last song is "Wait" and begins right where "Reunion" ended. It combines 2001: A Space Odyssey, Pink Floyd, and Tree of Life, in addition to other sci-fi elements. It really is an amazing song. You should also listen to "Outro" and "Steve McQueen" from Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, as well as "We Own the Sky" and "Couleurs" from Saturdays=Youth. Actually, you really can’t go wrong listening to any of M83’s songs. Anthony Gonzalez has stated that a lot of his music draws inspiration from the 80s. Now, I’m not an 80s expert, as I didn’t grew up during that time (although I do love the music and some of the movies), but I think you’ll also enjoy the “Eric Prydz Private,” “Christian Strobe,” and “Man Without Country” remixes of “Midnight City” for their strong 80s elements. Plus, I don’t think you’ll be able to resist the urge to dance when you listen to them. I know my family, my friends and I can’t…and neither can Duffy or any of his siblings.

Oh I found out a couple weeks ago about the "Wait" video. I didn't care for it as much as the first 2 in the series, but it kind of tied it all together. They can't just leave it like that though! I want a whole movie about those kids! Seriously some of the best videos I've seen in maybe 20 years! Fleur and Manu are geniuses.

Oh I have the Hurry Up, We're Dreaming album. Amazing album. I've heard some stuff off Saturdays=Youth and I like that too. It's nice to hear some real music as opposed to the tweenybopper stuff that makes my ears bleed.

I'm more picky about concerts. Sometimes I'm content with just being in the back ans soaking it all in. Other times I like being right up front. I've done several shows at HOB Orlando both up close and in the back. It's a small enough venue where no matter where you are you have a good view.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

Aimster, for what E-Ticket are you waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    Aimster, for what E-Ticket are you waiting?
    *points to the ticket book below her username*

I got Dated Duffy (2013 bear) on my last full day at WDW in January 2013. Then the next day I got Duffy (regular 17") at Downtown Disney's store. Since then I have adopted Shellie May, Little Buddy (CA Duffy), and a few other pre-dressed bears. Recently I adopted a puppet Shellie May who I stuffed (she will be making an appearance in a few weeks on Share your Duffy Photos mice chat) and I have a small Sweet Shellie May.

My Duffy and Shellie May are the main characters in my family. I consider them "coming to life" at the time of their adoption and they are ageless/timeless; I consider them neither children nor full grown adults and definitely not babies. Their personalities are developing as I show them the big world both in the house with various activities as well as starting to take them out in public.

Duffy is a little mischief maker and enjoys palling around with Shellie May, and he is quite protective of her and likes to make sure she is taken care of. Both bears are non-competitive and non-jealous, which is good since Shellie May has been acquiring more clothes than Duffy lately.

Shellie May really does bring joy and is such a sweetheart. She and Duffy get along oh, so well!

Dated Duffy and Duffy were tired from their long ride in the car from FL to TN and Shellie May was living unloved in Ohio where she was stuffed in a shoe box and sent to me, so it is taking them awhile to settle in and feel secure enough to venture out on a long journey again.

I have some Disney outfits both provincial and international from Japan, as well as some Build A Bear outfits, and from stores like Stuffems, Teddy Mountain, Bear Mill, and also am getting some handmade custom outfits from Japan that have amazing detail and theming behind them. I kind of went loulou, as my sister calls it (that's Hawaiian for "crazy") and I agree that alot of people just "don't get it". B

ecause I got my bears in the winter, they have been hibernating alot but now that the weather is warming up, their activity level is definitely increasing.

Last week Duffy and Shellie May learned to read, and tomorrow they are going to the Post Office to see where most of their clothes come from. Then it will be time to dress up and party for St. Patrick's Day. They have so many upcoming adventures that I'm totally excited for their life!

I first met Duffy in October of 2010 at California Adventure. I was vacationing with my mom for a week right after Duffy made his debut at the park. Both my mom and I fell head over heels when we met Duffy. His sweet story about how Minnie made him special for Mickey for his long sea voyage. This struck a cord with me since my boyfriend is away over seas and I do things like this for him.

My first meeting with Duffy! And Duffy stealing my first Duffy Bear

My Duffy is my travel companion. He always is by my side. He even has become a master at packing

After getting my Duffy, Shelly soon was adopted from Japan!

Together these two do it all.

Even meeting Monty!

Since getting these two my Duffy family has grown. They are each is as sweet and special as my first Duffy Bear. Note this is not a updated Duffy family photo

Hope you enjoy my little cubs as much as I love them!

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

OMG the photo of your Duffy with that BIG soda is hilarious, messica! I love that.

LOL thanks Aimster. That is one of my favorites and one of the first photos that I took of Duffy.

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by messica View Post
    LOL thanks Aimster. That is one of my favorites and one of the first photos that I took of Duffy.
    I love the one of him on your shoulders too. I do that with my Duffy sometimes. The looks I get range from "Awww look at that!" to "WTF??"

Thumbs up Re: Tell about YOUR Duffy!

FINALLY! I this thread! Sorry it's taken me so long to participate! I've been writing this in bits and pieces for weeks, and it has still taken several hours today to consolidate.

For me it really started in 2008. I had seen Duffy before then in connection with designer toys, but as I was not a fan of Disney, I hadn't taken much notice other than thinking there was something iconic in the simple purity of the design. Having grown up without family vacations or a deep love of Disney, I had never been to the Parks. But since I came to Japan in 2001, Disney was everywhere, always quality, and truly seemed magical. In November 2008, after one student ― and one married couple ― in particular could not contain their shock that I had no idea what a Disney park was like, I finally decided to go.

In preparation, I checked out the website and I noticed some kind of photo contest with this "Disney Bear," who apparently now had a name and a home. Duffy was also heavily featured in advertising that holiday season and I admit to becoming intrigued. My plan to go to Disneyland with a large group was already set, but I decided I would like to bring the bear with us, for fun photos…for the photo contest they were having…at least that was the excuse.

So I made plans with a different friend to go to DisneySEA the night before. The After 6 Passport came with a charm present for the 25th Anniversary, and the more I read about TDS (because of Duffy), the more I suspected I may even prefer it to TDL. I had no idea at the time just how right I would turn out to be.

As we arrived, first we got gifts. That was fun. Then as we entered, I was filled with a sense of wonder and nostalgia for a time I've never known as we entered the Aquasphere plaza. I felt like I was at a World's Fair where I would learn all about the bright future rising on the horizon.

Walking under the Miracosta archway to enter the park proper made me feel like I was dreaming, the way scenes switch and time warps. It felt as if I had already embarked on an exciting adventure. As we exited the corridor and moved toward Porto Paradiso, everything opened up like a lotus unfurling ― and BRAVISEAMO! was just beginning! I was astounded, amazed. It was an incredible way for the park to make a grand entrance into my life. The scale, the drums, the fire, the fury and power! Prometheus erupting, then the romantic amber lights sparkling around the Harbor. I was in love, and it stuck.

We made our way up the hill to McDuck's, where Duffy was on major display. My most precious image of Duffy was shot here. McDuck's was magical, dazzling. It was that fantasy department store in every story where the department store Santa turns out to be the real Kris Kringle. I was in a timeless New York, where everyone was shopping like they'd just won the lottery and everything around me represented a company I'd long been disenchanted by, and suddenly all my cynicism and angst just melted away. Nothing felt crass or disposable. These things were treasures, capturing a perfect moment and preserving it, before it could be ravished by the cruel ceaselessness of time.

I made my way over to the shelves, where I remembered that I had come specifically to buy this bear. I had thought that since it was just a bit more to get it with the hat and muffler for the holidays, I might regret it later if I didn't. At the time, of course, I didn't understand the extremely limited nature of the smiling bear, but I also felt that detail made Duffy more charming and animated. I looked for a looong time before settling on one, oblivious to all costumes except The Haunted Mansion. I wanted the suit to combine with the muffler and hat for my own "Holiday Nightmare" look. And since the HM uniform is green, it made for great traditional Christmas attire anyway. Despite my deep attachment to Sweet Duffy, especially after this past year's lineup, Duffy will always be closely linked with Christmas feeling for me. This is my very first Duffy photo, from my very first hour inside a Disney theme park:

I wish I'd looked around at the other costumes, but at the time, I was still thinking, "This bear is expensive!" That changed as soon as I held the costume in my hands, though, to, "This bear is AMAZING!" For me, it was about OLC's very particular alchemy right from the start. I bought some BAB clothes in the beginning, because I wanted looks other than CM uniforms and it wasn't yet clear how much I'd be spending on OLC releases! BAB is not much cheaper here, and in some cases, even more pricey than OLC, which now seems just plain silly. I still love BAB for shoes, though I wish they were a bit wider. I really wish OLC would make more sturdy shoes, maybe even like CCC, but just shoes, in shoeboxes. That would be ideal.

So then I posted and nobody really got it except Gurgi and Janell. Folks tolerated my enthusiasm, but except the two mentioned above rarely matched it. Some people were downright mean. But I still believed. And now Duffy for me is about that journey, too, and about the joy that fills my heart when I think of how many more Duffy fans there are around the world today than when I first discovered Duffy in 2008. Despite it's flaws, I do feel very deep gratitude that the Disney global rolloout brought more attention to Duffy. I wonder how Disney Stores sales are doing?

Here are some posts that serve as "mile markers" on my personal journey with Duffy, not mentioning the translation work of the original story and Spring Voyage - Duffy Travels or the Duffy Post, which are of course formative. There's also my poor neglected blog, the "Tender" term I coined ("Duffeteer" came from Janell), and the Certificate of Tenderness I created. Duffy has not only had a major impact on my life; he's been a powerful outlet, too. Without further ado:

• LINK 1, December 2010
      This is the thread that eventually led to the MiceChat Duffy Forum. It's representative of Duffy's challenge. I linked to just my first post in that thread, but I think the entire thread makes for a very interesting and historic read.
    • LINK 2, April 2011
      This one links to what makes Duffy "one special teddy bear" for me, but you can also see many other veteran Duffeteers' answers there.
    • LINK 3, October 2011
      Another tense debate with Duffy detractors, this one after the Duffy Forum had formed. I recommend reading this thread in its entirety, too, when you have the time. In my linked post, you really get to see my angry face, but you also get to enjoy some Walt Disney quotes which I think strongly apply to the Duffy concept, creators, fandom and phenomenon.
    • LINK 4, October 2011
      The next day (and the next page in the above thread), another poster in that same thread inspired me to think deeply about the importance of context for Duffy. I decided to post my reply in two places. You can see this in the same thread from LINK 3, but for LINK 4 I've decided to link it to the Duffy Forum version, so that you can see other Duffeteers' thoughts, too! I think this is when I began to really obsess about Cape Cod. Well, this...and the Village Greeting Place. I LOVE that place!
    • LINK 5, December 2011
      This one is about the differences between the mission statements of The Walt Disney Company and The Oriental Land Company and how Duffy underscores and is defined by these. It's also about his potential to shake up The WDC.
    • LINK 6, December 2011
      This is just two posts down from the one above, but I want to be sure you don't miss it. It continues the previous point, and also reiterates some of my favorite quotes from Walt Disney, as well as an interview with some of the top brass at OLC talking about how important Duffy is and how committed they are and have been to his long-term and organic phenomenon creation process. I especially love this part: "We believe that Duffy's favorable effect can be maintained to a certain degree going forward." Notice that they do not demand or even expect Duffy's sales to be off the charts forever. Profits that would make Scrooge McDuck smile are great, sure, but that isn't Duffy's sole or primary raison d'être.
    • LINK 7, August 2012
      Finally, this one is about the history and atmosphere of the shops that sell Duffy. It would be enhanced by photos. I'll try to get on that. It's also about the dangers of too much success, and how to balance that risk. And it's a bit about the way that well integrated and themed merchandising actually enhances the park experience on the storytelling level by adding to the atmosphere.

Over the past few years, my interest has shifted to not only Duffy as a character, but a real focus on Cape Cod as a fantasy place. It was always there, I guess, but once My Friend Duffy started and the Village Greeting Place opened, it became clear that Cape Cod was "Port 7.5," and that an entire area of the park is wholly devoted to being the home of this simple little teddy bear who didn't even need a movie or TV show to make him well-loved and legen...dary. Cape Cod is unprecedented, and absolutely essential to Duffy's core. The area feels as big to me as ToonTown (if not larger), and is finally completely devoted to Duffy. More and more, Cape Cod has become the foundation of my Dufflove 2.0.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 04-05-2013 at 04:55 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Looking back on my introduction to Duffy, I had forgotten how quickly it happened. In fact, I was looking for the old threads where I first found out about him, and I found the one where it happened full force. It was quick!

Rainy Day Duffy costume releases this Friday!

I remember it going slower than that, but apparently as soon as I saw the TDS Duffy, I fell in love with him. Probably because once I see something that captures my imagination, I try to do as much research on it as I can. I looked up everything I could about Duffy to see just what the phenomenon was. When the Disney Bear came out, I remember it well, but for whatever reason it didn't captivate me. I'm not sure if it was the more generic story, or what, but I saw them and never bought one. Now I wish I had a time machine to go back and buy the colored bears for my collection. So, with Duffy, something else sparked my imagination because he looked just like Disney Bear. Looking at it now, I'm sure it was his newly crafted story, and the attention to detail on his costumes and his surroundings. Also his Cape Cod home fascinated me. I love that New England aesthetic, and I have roots there too, so it made sense to me.

So, after a flurry of activity and research, it was DuffyD who helped me get my very first Duffy bear and some costumes. I took lots of pictures of his arrival too, which was a lot of fun. I missed out on most of the TDL 25th Anniversary costumes, but I'm grateful I got in from the beginning of Cape Cod Seasons and everything since. I love it all, and now Duffy has as many clothes as I do.

The early days of posting about Duffy here were...interesting. We had friends, but also lots of detractors. I'm so glad we have our own section here where fans can talk without being tormented. It's certainly been an interesting ride, with the tumultuous introduction of ShellieMay, and then the US relaunch of Duffy. We've grown quite a lot since then and It's great to see so many people here.

I love hearing your story, DuffyD! It reminds me of when I was a child and first stepped into the Magic Kingdom. And then again as an adult when I had my first visit back to the parks without "adult supervision". I really wish I had paid more attention to Duffy back in 2007 when we were there, but we had so little time to enjoy TDL and TDS and I was so overwhelmed by the amazing things OLC had done with the parks. I remember seeing this adorable bear and almost buying one, but at the time money was tight and I just didn't have the extra cash or room in my suitcase.
    I love that there is a place where we can all share stories and memories and just all around make new friendships! I wish we could all get together at TDS one year and meet up! Wouldn't that be amazing!!!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast