Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tell about YOUR Duffy!

I hope it's okay that I make a thread like this! I've just become so fond of my Duffy and really want to hear about everyone else's. Where did you get your Duffy? What are your Duffy's likes and dislikes? Does he go on many adventures with you or have his own little bedroom or anything? What is a day in his life like? Does your Duffy have another name? What outfits do you have for him, if any? Does he have any other plush animal friends? I would love to hear and I'm sure other members would be really interested, too

• North American Duffeteer

Re: Tell about YOUR Duffy!

I'll start with mine. I got my Duffy at the Walt Disney World Resort back in 2010. I bought my Duffy at Disney Traders East at Epcot, which is near his greeting spot at the entrance to World Showcase (starting at the Mexico Pavilion). His first outfit was his iconic sailor suit. His likes are leaning the world's culture (mainly he likes all aspects of Japan) and his only dislike is Justin Bieber. I usually buy him official park outfits for him and some Build-A-Bear clothes. He always dresses up as a baby (with just a top and a diaper). I always take him to the Disney Parks to have a great day with me (posing for photos, stopping by to say hi to his friends, etc.). And he always has Mickey and Minnie as his loving parents.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well.... I got my Duffy at Once Upon a Toy at Downtown Disney at WDW back in November 2010. I picked him because I loved how his head tilted to one side a bit. It just screamed personality. Boy does he have personality! He doesn't go everywhere with me, but he does go on lots of adventures. I usually take him to Busch Gardens, WDW, baseball games... He'll pretty much eat anything he can get his hands on, but some of his favorites are pizza, popcorn, spaghetti, ice cream, nachos & tacos. He has his own Twitter (@DuffyBear17) and he can be a real chatterbox on there sometimes. He has a lot of anipal friends on Twitter.

Duffy's wardrobe is probably as big as my own! He has a few outfits from TDS, but the rest are from BAB and a handful of the US Disney park costumes. he likes to dress up in costumes (especially for holidays or special occasions), but for the most part he likes everyday clothes.

Other plushie friends? Well, there's Shellie May, plus Bearemy, Paddington, Rigsley (stuffed dog) and all my 12" Duffys. That's just at home. As I mentioned, on Twitter he has a TON of anipal friends. Most are other teddy bears and some are even other Duffys, but there's some bunnies, a few dogs and all sorts of critters.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

My Duffy came from WDW at the Traders East store in Dec 2012. I first met Duffy in Dec 2010, but did not bring him home then. He waited very patiently and jumped up into my arms when I was ready to purchase. He had his sailor suit and Sorcerer Mickey outfit all packed. Shortly after coming home, he had asked if I would help him to expand his wardrobe. We ordered the Chinese outfit, which now serves as pajamas, a Disney baseball uniform, and a Santa suit. During the cold winter days and nights, he wears the sorcerer robe over his Santa suit.

Our house is filled with many new friends (way too many to count or mention). Duffy spends his days by alternating jumping on the bed and napping with his new bear pals Shamrock and Canuck. There is some friction though, as Canuck wants to be the bear with whom I always cuddle. Duffy took turns sleeping with me and my daughter when he first arrived, but he now only cuddles with me at night. Canuck is a little put out because of all the attention Duffy is receiving. We’re working on making everyone happy.

Duffy, who is also known as The Duffster, has only been on one adventure. We went shopping at BAB then went to dinner. Duffy chose some stylish threads and a cowboy outfit. While at dinner, we were placing his new shoes on his feet and the people at the next table glanced on with an incredulous look. He is a little self-conscious now, with the concern that not everyone “gets it”.

• Minion

Phew, so many questions to answer! What a neat thread.

My "Duffy" is a My First Disney Bear I found at Goodwill for 99 cents in August of 2011. I came upon him by chance (or was it destiny? LOL) because he wasn't even in the stuffed animal section. As I was exiting the store, I saw him lying all by his lonesome in a hat/wallet bin above a rack of shirts. I picked him up, saw his adorable face and knew that I had to have him. His nose had some damage (most likely chewed by a baby or toddler, sorry to say ), but it actually made him even more endearing to me because it gave him character and a sense of history. Initially when I posted pics of him on this forum, I wasn't quite sure what to call him, so I called him "Li'l Duffy". But then DuffyD decided that he should henceforth be referred to as "Li'l D"...I liked that because the D could stand for either Duffy or Disney, so I adopted that as his official name. Thanks, DuffyD.

Lil D is a sweet, gentle soul, but he can also be quite a little rascal. He loves to play games, watch tv, and blow bubbles. He doesn't like loud noises, sad endings, or brussel sprouts. A day in his life is basically doing as much of his favorite things as possible. He has been on a few adventures to Disneyland, but nowhere else. Mostly he's just content to stay at home, which I believe stems from his previous abandonment, and his sad and scary days on the thrift store shelf. He doesn't have his own room, but his favorite spot is sitting in my bedroom window on his little wooden beach chair.

Lil D's wardrobe consists mostly of bear clothes I've found at Goodwill, a few BaB items, and some dog shirts from Petsmart. Since he's 12" and not 17", a lot of the standard sized bear clothes (like BaB and Duffy items) tend to be ill-fitting, but there are some things that work better than others (hoodies are good), some things I avoid altogether, and some things I can make work with only a little bit of alteration.

Lil D has made many friends, but of course his most notable is Duffette (a 12" Duffy I put eyelashes on). His first friend however was Woody (head of the Welcoming Committee of Diznygrl's Room, of course!), who taught Lil D how to play chess when he first arrived, which inspired in him the love of playing games! Other friends include Casey (a cherished childhood teddy of mine), Frostina (plush snowman...or should I say snow woman), plush Mickey and Minnie, Keychain Duffy, and Duffette's new little stuffed puppy she named Cupcake.

It's great reading about other people's Duffys! Love how each one has his own personality and history, it's wonderful

• I love that tiny bear!

My Tiny Duffy (magnet Duffy) was purchased I think October 15, 2010...there was absolutely no line at Duffy's meet and greet, so I figured, why not, he's from Japan and cute, let's hug him. I actually intended the magnet Duffy to belong to a doll I had done a lot of adventures for (she also met Duffy), figuring that I could take Duffy with me instead of taking her (who was much more expensive and much more bulky). I also wanted some version of Duffy and I though the magnet bears actually looked more like the Duffy I had just hugged than the larger bears. (And, hello, magnets!)

I didn't do much with him until March 2011, when I brought him to Florida on a whim to visit my BFF. I hadn't yet sewed him clothes, but I got a few pictures of him enjoying the sights. Then I got bored during a very long layover in Tampa Bay.

So yeah, I was a goner. And ever since I made him a sailor suit and took him on a trip to Prescott...triple-goner.

Tiny Duffy is best friends with Tiny Shellie May, of course. He also is friends with my 12" Duffy (purchased on Black Friday 2011 through the Disney Store from the Paradise Pier Hotel, because they had a deal on Duffy+outfits in the parks and I was like "I need a bigger Duffy), my Smiling Shellie May (and who COULDN'T be friends with her?) and Santa Duffy. Though he is surprisingly friendly with my American Girl dolls too.

Also he likes me.

I'm so happy to read everyone's stories about their Duffy's! I will try not to ramble and keep my story under control! I could go on and on about my bears!

I got my Duffy bear in January 2011, shortly after I moved to Orlando. I purchased him at Disney Traders right across from the Duffy Meet n Greet Pavilion. When I first moved here I was very lonely and had a hard time finding a workplace where I felt like I fit in, so Duffy became my best friend.

My Duffy loves to dress up and go places with me. Especially to conventions and such. To date he has been to 2 Star Wars weekends, 2 MegaCon conventions, Star Wars Celebration as well as a few movie premiers. He likes dressing up in costumes and getting pictures taken. Since I don't cosplay, Duffy does! And he has a goal to get his picture taken with Big Duffy in every outfit he owns!
    Most days he spends on the chase lounge in my bedroom with all my other Duffy and Shellie May bears/items. His best friend of course is Shellie May. My bears are not a "couple", they are more like brother and sister. I tend to alternate taking them places, but sometimes I will take both of them when we got to WDW. We take many trips there for all the different events during the year. Duffy and Shellie May especially like Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot! Shellie May gets very upset though when people call her "Duffy" or "Girl Duffy". She promptly nudges me to correct them (my bears only talk to me), and then we end up telling people all about Duffy's Japanese origins and about Shellie May.

They both have a lot of outfits. Almost every Duffy outfit that comes out I will buy for them. And of course we do a lot of shopping at Build a Bear. They like to wear matching or comparable outfits. It's pretty adorable to see them get excited that they "match". When something comes out in the US for Duffy, I usually try to find something to match it for Shellie May. Even if it isn't exact, I do my best!
    They have lots of bear friends from BaB! I have so many I have now lost count! But they mostly hang out with their Duffy and Shellie May buddies on the lounge!

We are going to MegaCon tomorrow and Saturday and hopefully Sunday will get to Epcot, so right now we are all VERY excited for the weekend!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Sshhh, being very quiet

My Duffy came from Los Feliz Five & Dime toy section in DCA back in October. He's had many different outfits but on the first day I got him he lost his Duffy hat. But it was found and now he gets it stolen by Snickers the Cat Not the Candy. Now he's dressed as a hockey player, per my son's request. He's gone to many hockey games and taken photos with many mascots, some wanting to eat him!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Naelyan, my bears like to match sometimes too when they can.

My Duffy story is a little unique. In 2012, I ran the Goofy Challenge at WDW. It consisted of a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday which ended in EPCOT. It was the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. There were plenty of Disney characters along the route, but I’m a fairly competitive runner, so stopping to take photos with them wasn’t really in my plans. As you can imagine, I was exhausted by the time I reached mile 24 of the marathon (full distance is 26.3 miles). I was sore and tired and really dreading the last two miles of the route when I spotted Duffy. He was cheering like crazy (without words of course) and totally enthusiastic to see every runner! I had never heard of Duffy before, but I was instantly enthralled. I gave him a huge sweaty hug and finished the race with a huge smile on my face. After I finished, I walked back up to where Duffy was cheering (near his normal greeting spot in EPCOT) to wait for my dad to run by as he was also competing in the race. I had a blast watching Duffy cheer for everyone even though most people ignored him. (to be fair, they had been running for 4+ hours).

That evening my family went back to EPCOT to celebrate. I couldn’t resist adopting my Duffy bear from the Canadian pavilion and then watching the night Reflections on Earth with him. He has been my buddy ever since.

He is patiently awaiting the arrival of Shellie May when the Spring Voyage gift package arrives.

Below is my marathon photo from this year. As you can see, I dressed as Minnie!

Name:  mandd.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  132.9 KB

I love that story, mgmenning!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Mgmenning, I your story, and I your photo. I also like the fact that you ran a marathon and were assigned the number 26.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

I adopted Duffy and his twin brother Jack McDuff, a pirate-themed Build-a-Bear bear, on Saturday, May 7, 2011, when my family and I attended the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides world premiere at the Disneyland Resort. We were in the Emporium on Main Street searching for these limited edition On Stranger Tides (OST) Mickey ears. We hit the jackpot, managing to grab the last ones in the store, and as I began to walk away from the display, giddily clutching my OST Mickey ears—bam!—there he was…my Duffy bear (I truly believe his being the bearer of happiness and luck is probably why my family and I scored those ears). I picked him up and asked him, “Mr. Duffy, do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?” He smiled at me and replied, “Wind in your sails! Wind in your sails!” And from that moment onward, he became a member of the family. I dressed him as Captain Jack Sparrow, carried him with me throughout the parks, and even brought him with me to the movie premiere.

Let’s see, outfits…Duffy and Shellie May have a handful of US Disney park outfits, but the majority of their wardrobe consists of regular BAB clothing and custom pieces. They like dressing up in costume but prefer to wear casual attire, especially hoodies. They don’t own any TDS clothing yet, but by mid- to late April, that will change (and we’re all so excited).

As for likes—well, Duffy music. He and his siblings cannot live without music. They like all kinds but especially love metal, alternative, music from video game and movie trailers, rock, flamenco, Israeli, belly dance/raqs sharki , and some EDM and dubstep. Some of his (and their) favorite artists are Tool, Puscifer, M83, Daft Punk, A Perfect Circle, Hadag Nahash, Hakim, Hans Zimmer, Two Steps From Hell, and X-Ray Dog just to name a few…or several. Like his siblings, Duffy loves dancing, partying, Mardi Gras, and king cake (they live in The Big Easy after all). They’re also major film buffs and avid readers, being particularly fond of anything related to Pirates of the Caribbean; The Lord of the Rings; Alice in Wonderland/Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass; Marvel and DC Comics; and Le Comte de Monte-Cristo. Oh, and they also like video games and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Duffy and Shellie May love to travel, but they mainly enjoy staying at home and relaxing either on my bed or in my giant music-playing moon chair. A typical day for them consists primarily of playing video games, watching TV, listening to music, reading, and dancing. They mostly accompany me on special outings, such as vacations, festivals, and movie premieres or midnight screenings. I wish I could take them out with me more often, but Duffy and Shellie May have tons of plush siblings, so I know they’re never lonely or bored. There are way too many siblings to name, but the siblings Duffy and Shellie are closest to are Jack McDuff; Tigger (my first stuffed animal); Snowflake (a white Bengal tiger); D.B. (a POTC-themed Disney bear); Levi, Jorgen, and Ragan (three (3) leviathans); Coda (a weasel); Bert the Farting Hippo (from NCIS); and several 12” Duffies and colored Disney bears.
    Last edited by ZTRinZler; 03-15-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I can't believe I forgot to include Daft Punk.

ZTR: I wish my number was 26!! My number was actually in the 2000's, but I grayed it out just to be safe. (trolls could easily find out my full name and address with the number) The red number is actually "20" because it was the twentieth anniversary of the marathon. On a side note, it was also my birthday, which is why I was wearing the pin. It was a spectacular day!
    Last edited by mgmenning; 03-14-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast