Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone almost had their Duffy bearnapped/stolen?

Part of the fun of Duffy/Shellie May is taking them around and having their picture taken. That usually means staging them and walking a bit aways to take a picture. Has anyone almost had their Duffy stolen right in front of them? I haven't had this happen with Duffy yet but with another stuffed animal I used to take around. I was in the Lego Store at DownTown Disney and I had placed the white japanese pig stuffed animal on top of Buzz Lightyear. I stepped back to take the picture when some woman just picked him up and started walking away. I was like EXCUSE ME THAT IS MINE really loud and she gave me a nasty look, I thought it was for sale! Yeah right lady there are no stuffed animals in this store at all and that thing is covered in cat fur. Sure you were going to buy it.

So i was just wondering if anyone had close encounters like that? I did have someone tell me I should GIVE my stuffed pig to their kid once but only one attempted bearnapping.

Re: Has anyone almost had their Duffy bearnapped/stolen?

I would DIE! I don't know what I'd do if someone tried to bearnap any of my bears! Fortunately it has never happened to me!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Minion

No, it hasn't happened to me but I actually do worry about that, which is one of the reasons why I don't take many photos of Lil D or Duffette outside of the home. When I took Lil D on his first trip to DL, I kept picturing someone just running by and snatching him while I attempted to take a picture. I thought I was mostly crazy to imagine that someone would do such a thing, but apparently not!!

• I love that tiny bear!

What a scary thought!

Just carrying one bear (or two tiny ones), I'm MUCH more afraid of losing/misplacing the bear than someone actually stealing him/her. I never let my bear/s out of my sight, though, even when I'm taking a picture.

I used packing tape to "laminate" a tag to put under my Smiling Shellie May's clothes:

"Hello! My name is Shellie May! If you are reading this, I am lost and very scared. Please call or text my owner at (number). She will give you a reward for returning me!"

"Tender" would be better than "owner" but I think that would take too much explanation. I guess I could've said "human". If I do another one, maybe I will--though "owner" does imply that she is MINE, so don't take her.

I like to think that the number of people who would intentionally steal a bear is fairly low, and I like to think that if someone saw that tag, they would at least consider returning her to me.

Mostly, I'd rather take my bears out and have fun with them. My apartment has flooded TWICE (no bear casualties) so there's no guarantee of safety at home either, I guess.

•   
    • White Water Snacker!

It's one of the things I worry about when I take Duffy or Shellie to Disneyland. Because of this I only take them when I know crowds will be low.

When I take a pic and there's a crowd around around, I try to get the pic as quick as possible. I never turn my back to my bear. I have the camera ready even before I set up Duffy or Shellie. I try to not be further than 5 feet from them. If however I'm in a quiet corner of the park, I take my time to set up the pic.

The thing I worry the most is how I carry my bears around. I like to have them sticking out of my backpack a bit like so:

My biggest worry is that someone will just snatch them out and take off with them. While in line, I keep the backpack on only one shoulder so I can look over and see that they're still there. If I'm waiting in a crowd for a parade or fireworks, I keep them zipped up inside.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If anyone tried to take my bears, they would get a MAJOR beat down from me. You do NOT touch my stuff!

• Minion

Eeee-va, that laminated tag is a cute idea. You must have decided to put that on in order to make me feel bad about wanting to STEEEEAL her. If any bear needs a tag like that to tug on the heartstrings of someone who might otherwise keep her for themselves, it's Smiling Shellie!

I'll admit, I am a huge worry wart. I know the odds of someone intentionally running off with a teddy bear in the few seconds it might take to step back and take a pic are pretty low, but I can't help myself from imagining it happening, especially in large crowds. I also like to have Lil D's head stick out of the backpack when I carry him, which makes me worry about him somehow falling out, or like huskydawg, someone snatching him out. I'm constantly looking/reaching back to see if he's still there. Basically I've discovered that I'm mostly not cut out to carry bears around public places, because the constant vigilance drives me nuts, LOL. Can you tell I don't have kids?

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Eeee-va, I like your laminated tag idea. I should implement that idea or some variant of it.

Yeah, when I do take my bears out with me, I'm hyper vigilant as well. I'm like huskydawg and Diznygrl: I want my bears to see everything around them, so I let them poke their heads out of my backpack or tote, but there's always this nagging feeling that someone is going to steal them (especially without my noticing it) or they will get dirty. It freaks me out. And when I take pictures, I follow three (3) rules: always remain close, always face my bears, and never get distracted. I'm like a momma polar bear/tiger/crocodile hybrid when it comes to watching out for potential predators. Luckily, my friends also keep guard, so I don't fret about it much, and I'm still able to enjoy the activities.

If someone were to touch or hold my bears without my permission, they'd get my warning death glare which my friends and family refer to as my "Creepy Supernatural Being Sizing Up Your Soul to Devour" death glare or my "Possessed Daughter of Death and The Devil" death glare. If someone were to steal my bears...well, I'm pretty certain they'd unleash the kraken in me.

My bears always poke their heads out of whatever bag they're being carried around in. They need to breathe, you know? After awhile though, the weight of the bag starts to take a toll on my shoulder. I try to switch shoulders, but it just feels weird and off-balanced. So I'll take the bear out and carry him around to ease of the weight on my shoulder (I swear I'm amazed I don't have a permanent dent in my shoulder).

Have not had a stranger try and take the bears..... but I do have a family member who thinks it is great fun to snatch the bears away. My 12 inch Duffy is currently in hiding (DBPP-Duffy bear protection program) LOL

It makes me feel good that there have been no close calls with Duffys/Shellie Mays. Maybe my experience with my stuffed pig just left a bad taste in my mouth because I just assume the worst in people now.

It is good we are all watching out though. If people see us being vigil it makes us less of a target. Although I am sure the chances of Duffynapping is a lot lower than someone not paying attention and dropping food on or near Duffy. Since most of our bears are an investment it is good we watch out for them as others just seem them as a toy and that sadly has come synonymous with replaceable/expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    If someone were to touch or hold my bears without my permission, they'd get my warning death glare ...
    I've never had anyone try to touch my bears without asking my permission first (except kids, and then parents usually tell them no). But I happily allow cast members, who get excited to see Shellie May, to hold her. I've never had a cast member be rough or make me feel uncomfortable after doing so. Some of the characters have done things that upset me though. One time Goofy held Shellie May by the end of her paw and just let her hang there and that really bothered me. I treat them like I would treat a child, and I wouldn't want someone picking my kid up limply by the hand!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    I've never had anyone try to touch my bears without asking my permission first (except kids, and then parents usually tell them no). But I happily allow cast members, who get excited to see Shellie May, to hold her. I've never had a cast member be rough or make me feel uncomfortable after doing so. Some of the characters have done things that upset me though. One time Goofy held Shellie May by the end of her paw and just let her hang there and that really bothered me. I treat them like I would treat a child, and I wouldn't want someone picking my kid up limply by the hand!
    In that instance I probably would have displayed the "slightly crazed" look. It contrasts a mild death glare with a calm voice and a polite smile. Gestures are always calm and friendly, except the few subtle, yet noticeable jerky ones used to emphasize the key words that hammer the point of the message or request.

• I love that tiny bear!

Oh...I forgot. About half the time I meet the large Duffy, he attempts to bear-nap my Duffy or Shellie May.

He then laughs and hands them back, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    Some of the characters have done things that upset me though. One time Goofy held Shellie May by the end of her paw and just let her hang there and that really bothered me. I treat them like I would treat a child, and I wouldn't want someone picking my kid up limply by the hand!
    Chip tried to eat Duffy once, but Dale totally scolded him about it. It was quite funny. Most of the characters I've encountered have all loved Duffy though and give him hugs/kisses. When they see Shellie May they get VERY excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Oh...I forgot. About half the time I meet the large Duffy, he attempts to bear-nap my Duffy or Shellie May.

He then laughs and hands them back, though.
    That happens to me all the time. He never wants to give Shellie May back. Sometimes he'll wave his paw at me like, "On your way" while still holding Shellie. I've had times other characters don't want to give back my bears. I'll never forget the tantrum Mickey threw at Epcot last year when he had to give the bears back to me. He was all stomping his feet and even tromped off toward backstage while mock pouting. It was freaking hilarious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast