• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

I Need Help Mustering The Resolve To Remove My Bearsí Tags!

Of all my plush and stuffed animals, only my Duffy, Shellie May, and pre-Duffy bears still have their tags. I doubt I will be willing to cut the tags off my pre-Duffy bears any time soon, so for now, I want to focus on summoning the strength to finally remove Duffy and Shellie Mayís tags, as well as smiling Shellie Mayís (aka Mai/e/y Ling) when she gets here. For the longest time Iíve wanted to remove their tags, but Iíve always been too afraid/hesitant to do so (even though I realize their tags prevent me from cuddling them as much as Iíd like).

With their tags intact Shellie May and Duffy feel more ďpristineĒ to me because I guess the tags delude me into believing that I only recently adopted the bears from the parks, that I was just there. Luckily, I came to my senses and realized that this was delusional thinking, but I still havenít been able to bring myself to cut the cords. Iíve had Duffy since May 7, 2011, so with him Iím more than ready, but with Shellie May, Iím still tentative and anxious. Itís not only because Iíve had her for less time (since July 23, 2012), but also because sheís so beautiful and Iím afraid that once I cut off her tags, their absence will somehow sully her pristine beauty. And once that happens, I can never get it backÖand any other Shellie Mays I adopt (not to replace her, but to add to the family) can never be as beautiful as the first Shellie May DuffyD helped me adopt.

I know keeping the tags intact for this long and my reasons for doing so are crazy, and I know my explanations probably donít make any sense. Itís hard to rationally explain irrational thoughts and feelings. So I guess I would like to ask how long after you all had your bears did you remove their tags, did any irrational or nagging feelings hinder you when doing so, and what advice, words of comfort, words of wisdom, and/or insight can you give me to help me cut the cords?

Re: I Need Help Mustering The Resolve To Remove My Bearsí Tags!

Honestly, I never wanted to remove the tags off my bears. The only reason I did was because I wanted to keep the little tag book in pretty good condition. I know that may sound weird or whatever but I really liked the tags and I didn't want them messed up when I cuddle my bears. ^_^

I know exactly how you feel ZTRinzler! I too had a hard time cutting the tags off my bears when I first got them, but realized that dressing them and taking them to the parks with tags was not rational. I'm a little OCD about certain things, and this was one of them. But with the tags removed you can cuddle and dress and not worry about messing up the tags as DuffylovrDisney points out.
    I helped my brain rationalize this by not cutting tags off any bears that were part of my collection that I take for outings. All my 12" Duffy's still have the tags. And I'm not sure if I'm going to take the tags off my 10" smiling bears yet. It will depend on if they start venturing out with me!
    It's ok to cut the tags! I really doubt you will ever get rid of your precious bears, and the tags will only be "valuable" still on if you plan on reselling them! (Does that help?)
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Considering how often I take my bears places, I cut the tags off almost straight away so the tags themselves can be preserved. And you just need a soft bristle pet brush to keep your bears' fur fluffed up if it starts looking matted. And the Bear Stuff Cleaner from BAB works like a charm if your bears start to look grubby. My bears are well-loved, but in good shape because I take good care of them.

I'm all for cutting the tags. It almost makes me feel like my Duffys are more mine when they are free from their tags. It sounds cheesy, but I don't want it to feel like Duffy is a "collectable." Instead he is a loved object that I will have forever.

• I love that tiny bear!

I'm SO with you, Mgmenning! I want my bears to be beloved, not collectables. Though it took me a while to cut off Smiling Shellie May's tag because she's my most expensive bear.

Couldn't you technically use a price tag gun to put the tag back on, if you ever wanted to? I saw some on eBay for rather cheap.

DuffylovrDisney, Naelyan, and aimster, I never once thought about the tag situation from this perspective. I definitely want to preserve the tags, and in order to do so, I really should remove them because the longer they remain on my bears, the more likely they are to get damaged when I cuddle with my bears, sleep with them (which I do every night), or take them on adventures with me. I guess the tags sort of serve as a security blanket for me because I falsely believe that their remaining intact ensures my bears will remain pristine and unsullied. I know some of you have had your bears for longer than I have had mine, and while your pictures show that your bears are well loved and well traveled, they also indicate that your bears are well cared for and "groomed." (Sorry for the lack of a better word ). And I do take care of my bears, Duffies and pre-Duffies alike. I brush them with a soft bristle pet brush (thank you, aimster--I learned that from you a while ago) and rarely do they wear their clothes while sleeping. The intact tags provide me with a false sense of security. Harm could just as easily occur to my bears with their tags on than without them, and I know it, but the intact tags allow me to believe that no harm can come to them because I feel as if I'm going the extra mile leaving them alone...which I just now realize means that, in a sense, I'm prioritizing my tags over my bears. (Sorry for rambling. I'm writing as I'm typing).

I would never sell my bears, not even my pre-Duffies even though apparently I could get a pretty penny for all of them. It's not about being able to reattach the tags to increase/maintain their value if I wanted to sell them later. It's more so about psychologically coming to terms with/accepting the realization that the tags don't ensure against harm. So yes, there's really no need for me to keep them on Duffy or Shellie May. I initially kept the tags on my pre-Duffy bears to keep track of them and ensure I didn't mix up their booklets even though they are the same (yeah, anal). But when the pre-Duffy bears were no longer at the parks, I guess I just left the tags intact as a way to cope with their absence. And boom, my irrational mindset was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    ...And I'm not sure if I'm going to take the tags off my 10" smiling bears yet. It will depend on if they start venturing out with me! It's ok to cut the tags! I really doubt you will ever get rid of your precious bears, and the tags will only be "valuable" still on if you plan on reselling them! (Does that help?)
    Don't say that, or I will never cut the tags off Shellie May, Duffy, or smiling Shellie May. (I still can't decide if I should name her Shellie May Fruhling, Shellie Mae Fruhling, or Shellie Mai Fruhling with her nickname dropping the "Shellie" and "Fruh" parts). But yes, your words have helped. Hopefully, within the next several weeks, I'll finally do the deed and cut off the tags.
    Last edited by ZTRinZler; 03-30-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Changed "not" to "never" and corrected "of" to "off."

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: I Need Help Mustering The Resolve To Remove My Bearsí Tags!

Quote Originally Posted by mgmenning View Post
    I'm all for cutting the tags. It almost makes me feel like my Duffys are more mine when they are free from their tags. It sounds cheesy, but I don't want it to feel like Duffy is a "collectable." Instead he is a loved object that I will have forever.
    I agree. This step marks an important rite of passage for me, and I do it immediately. I only have two, but having tags on them makes them feel like "products" to me; removing those tags makes them feel like personalities. If I left the tags on, personally I'd feel like I was protecting their value because I foresee cashing them out someday. This would color all of my experiences with them as "temporary," which I would find discomforting.

I'm also bathe and brush both bears as infrequently as possible because I strongly prefer the aged look of the fur rather than fresh fluffed. I think I'm probably in the minority there, though.

If it really is important to you to keep them pristine, I think removing the tags ASAP and storing them separately is the way to go. Then, when the time comes that you really need it, you can clean and groom the bears and reattach their tags as another kind of "rite" and make them feel new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I'm SO with you, Mgmenning! I want my bears to be beloved, not collectables. Though it took me a while to cut off Smiling Shellie May's tag because she's my most expensive bear.

Couldn't you technically use a price tag gun to put the tag back on, if you ever wanted to? I saw some on eBay for rather cheap.
    As stated above, I totally agree, and, yes, you could use a pricing gun to attach them later. Just take a photo of the tag while it's on and measure it, and you're set!

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    ÖDon't say that, or I will never cut the tags off Shellie May, Duffy, or smiling Shellie May.
    Don't say what?

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I was going to mention getting a price gun and putting the tags back on later if you wanted. You can easily buy one of those guns on ebay, and they even sell the strips of plastic ties too, so you could easily put them back on later if desired. I cut my tags off first thing, for the reasons DuffyD said. I want my bears to feel like personalities, and with the tags, they still seem like products on a shelf. It's like cutting the tags seals the adoption for me. However, I have every tag saved in a box. I can remember which bears they came from, and you could label them if you wanted to. That way, they are kept in good condition and you can look at them later if you want. Remember, removing the tags doesn't have to be a permanent thing, you can always reattach them.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Don't say what?
    Oh, I was responding to Naelyan's statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    And I'm not sure if I'm going to take the tags off my 10" smiling bears yet. It will depend on if they start venturing out with me!
    I was asking Naelyan not to inform me about not being certain about removing the tags from the 10" bears because I may lose the courage to cut the tags off any of my bears. Or did you mean "don't say what" to make me forget Naelyan's statement?

Hmm...as for reattaching her tags with a price tag gun, I'd probably feel really guilty about puncturing her ears. Although if I cut the tags then freak out, because I can't shake the feeling that Shellie and Duffy's tags not being near them will result in their being harmed or sullied, the price tag gun is an option. Maybe I could buy some yarn, paracord, or the like and make the tags into necklaces that I can easily put on and take off my bears whenever the aforementioned feeling overwhelms me. The necklace tag will not only help me cope with this feeling, but also help me accept my bears without their tags. Once that happens, I can remove the fabric and safely store the tags.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    Oh, I was responding to Naelyan's statement:

I was asking Naelyan not to inform me about not being certain about removing the tags from the 10" bears because I may lose the courage to cut the tags off any of my bears. Or did you mean "don't say what" to make me forget Naelyan's statement?

Hmm...as for reattaching her tags with a price tag gun, I'd probably feel really guilty about puncturing her ears. Although if I cut the tags then freak out, because I can't shake the feeling that Shellie and Duffy's tags not being near them will result in their being harmed or sullied, the price tag gun is an option. Maybe I could buy some yarn, paracord, or the like and make the tags into necklaces that I can easily put on and take off my bears whenever the aforementioned feeling overwhelms me. The necklace tag will not only help me cope with this feeling, but also help me accept my bears without their tags. Once that happens, I can remove the fabric and safely store the tags.
    I think that's a good solution. You could easily make necklaces out of them. You could use yarn, or get the ball-chain thingys and use that to be more sturdy. It's a great way for you to wean yourself off of the tags, and if you want them, they will be there on the bears. Don't feel too bad about puncturing the bear's ears, because they've already been punctured for the original tags. Their fur will cover any holes, trust me. One of my Duffy bears came pre-dressed with a Christmas costume. He was one of the large smiling bears, and he had shoes, pants, shirt, and hat all to be removed. So, there were lots of threads that they had sewn into his fur...I was actually finding the pieces I had clipped still stuck in his fur for a while after removing the costume. But, now, you would never even know he had been punctured with all that thread. His fur covered all the spots and I would have a very hard time figuring out where those holes ever were.

I'm all for cutting the tags off because I feel that it really makes him mine when I'm the one to do it. I am also not a MIB collector of toys/dolls, even though it may bring the second-hand value of the item down in the future. c:

• Merry 2014!

I don't have an adorable Duffy but I do have lots of stuffed animals with tags still in them. What I have been doing is taking really good pictures, from different angles, then placeing the pictures in a smash book or scrap book.
    Maybe you could make fun Duffy pages with the pictures and colorful paper and a special pocket to put each tag into that is attached to each page. Hope this helps.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    I don't have an adorable Duffy but I do have lots of stuffed animals with tags still in them. What I have been doing is taking really good pictures, from different angles, then placeing the pictures in a smash book or scrap book.
    Maybe you could make fun Duffy pages with the pictures and colorful paper and a special pocket to put each tag into that is attached to each page. Hope this helps.
    That is a really cool suggestion! I am going to have to research that. Thanks, Fantasmico!

Hello, ZTRinZler:

I kept my tags on for a little bit because not that I would EVER resell them, but I know they are more valuable that way and it proves their authenticity and showcases them as a luxury/collectible item. Plus the tags are decorative.

However, the tags got in the way of dressing them and my friend said if these bears have come to life in my mind and are developing personalities and going on adventures, then the tags hinder the concept and makes them appear lifeless because it's not like I'm going to walk around with my newborn bracelet for the rest of my life. It's just there to record my birth and then I move on to my real life with my parents (or Tenders as we are to Duffy and Shellie May). I thought that was a good analogy.
    Last edited by JillT; 04-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.