Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

Re: Post your Build A Bear finds for Duffy/Shellie May here!

Aimster, how much of a "collector's" item do you think this will be? I was thinking of getting some extras to either keep around if someone in our forum wants one long after they are gone or potentially sell on eBay if I ever do that.
    ILG

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm not sure. I don't really follow the "collector's market" much.

Ok so I got the Monsters U varsity jacket and shirt today. The jacket is kind of big because it's made to fit the make your own Sulley, but if you push the sleeves up, it helps. My poof Duffy had hardly any stuffing in his arms anymore though (need to fix that sometime, just not sure how to go about it). The shirt is really cute too.

You could do back surgery and have BAB stuff him with their machine.
    I got the jacket but thought the shirt was too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    You could do back surgery and have BAB stuff him with their machine.
    I got the jacket but thought the shirt was too expensive.
    I don't know how to open his back (I don't sew) and the BAB employees only have a very limited knowledge of stuff (the BAB animals just have strings the employees pull to close the back, then they tie a knot and clip the extra string). When I had an issue with Duffy's foot (popped stitch), I took him to BAB and they wouldn't even touch him because they didn't want to accidentally ruin him. My aunt up north was able to fix his foot once I emailed her a photo of what the problem was and she said she knew how to do that stitch.

I found a place in Lakeland that does doll and teddy bear repairs/restorations/cleaning. I emailed them to get an estimate. If it's not too expensive, I'll go with them and since they're in Lakeland, which is just an hour drive from me, I could drive up there and drop him off if they say it would only take a few hours to fix. Just opening his back and adding some more stuffing will be a walk in the park compared to some of the restorations I've seen on their website.

I ran out and picked one up, too. The jacket fits okay if you put it on over the Sulley costume, but I think it makes Duffy's arms look a little stubby. The sleeves are about twice as long as Duffy's arms. I pushed the sleeves up, and I'll probably end up altering it myself. It's still really cute, though.

Here's a picture of it on Duffy, in case anyone is considering buying it. Please excuse my bad, middle-of-the-night, laundry room iPhone picture!!!!

• Bear at Heart

What a cute idea to put the jacket over the Sully costume! It's adorable, definitely picking it up next week.

About BAB doing repairs, I recall reading a post here about someone having good luck with BAB repairing Duffy's foot, but I would never trust my BAB for repairs. I went in once with my mom and she was getting a new bear. She discovered after he was stuffed that he had a hole in his foot and they offered to fix it before she bought it. Needless to say, the employee who fixed it (although sweet as can be) had no idea what she was doing and it looked terrible! Just a big flat stitch in the middle of his foot to fix a small hole on the edge of his foot. That's not to say that they are all this way, but I'd much rather pay a professional to do it right. I have a lot of experience with sewing, though not with bear making so I don't even trust myself to try to fix my Duffy's feet! I'm a little over protective of him.

Hey, First Star, I love your pic of Duffy with the Sulley outfit and the jacket. Very clever of you. Is that the BAB Mike? He's such a perfect size for Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by TNutter View Post
    Hey, First Star, I love your pic of Duffy with the Sulley outfit and the jacket. Very clever of you. Is that the BAB Mike? He's such a perfect size for Duffy.
    Thanks! I actually got that Mike from DCA a year or so ago. He's just a bean bag. The BAB Mike is actually way cuter. His body is about the same size, but he actually has arms and legs, and he's wearing an MU cap. 11 in. Mini Mike - Build-A-Bear Workshop US

Quote Originally Posted by NiffyBear View Post
    What a cute idea to put the jacket over the Sully costume! It's adorable, definitely picking it up next week.

About BAB doing repairs, I recall reading a post here about someone having good luck with BAB repairing Duffy's foot, but I would never trust my BAB for repairs. I went in once with my mom and she was getting a new bear. She discovered after he was stuffed that he had a hole in his foot and they offered to fix it before she bought it. Needless to say, the employee who fixed it (although sweet as can be) had no idea what she was doing and it looked terrible! Just a big flat stitch in the middle of his foot to fix a small hole on the edge of his foot. That's not to say that they are all this way, but I'd much rather pay a professional to do it right. I have a lot of experience with sewing, though not with bear making so I don't even trust myself to try to fix my Duffy's feet! I'm a little over protective of him.
    That was Gurgi who got his bear's foot fixed at his BAB (he lives in NYC so the store there is one of the huge flagship stores). He lucked out and found an employee who used her "grandma" skills to fix Duffy's foot. I lucked out with my aunt knowing how to do the type of stitch, so I sent him up to her.

I'm going to ask my aunt maybe next week if she can shorten the sleeves on the Monsters U jacket for me and if she knows how to open Duffy's back and add more stuffing. If she can help with the stuffing part too, then Duffy will be taking another trip up north for a few days. I'm just holding off asking her because I know she hasn't gotten back to her sewing stuff just yet as she's been dealing with getting my uncle's stuff dealt with due to his sudden death a couple weeks ago. So I'm not bugging her just yet.

Both Duffy's and Shellie's left foot popped. That is a super simple fix; no special stitch that I used. both are great now.

My daughter's Mama Sheep had a pull string music box in her. I couldn't wash her with that in. I cut open her belly, removed it, and made a running stitch, pulled tight. You can feel it but not really see it because the "wool" covers it up. Similar to the knots for the bears' feet, they are hidden by the fur and you can feel them more than see them.

Hey aimster...can you give me the name of the place in Lakeland that you found? If I ever have an issue, I may try them. I also want to talk to them about something else...
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

I'm sorry for your loss, Aimster. I hope you, your aunt, and your family are doing okay.

We went to BaB last night and did a little damage since Duffy has quite the wardrobe after living in our house since 2010, but Shellie just moved in this May and is very limited in her clothing. Luckily I had a giftcard and coupons and saved about $20 on this field trip. We ended up with the new Monsters U tshirt for Duffy. Shellie walked out with new version of Tiana's dress, the Jedi Outfit (to go w/ Dufffy's Training Academy one), the new white Disney Princess screen print tshirt, and the new pink Minnie Mouse dress. I was going to buy her a tutu skirt to go w/ her new princess shirt and realized I had tulle and stuff at home and ended up making her 2 tutu's last night.

Aimster, I echo DuffyD's sentiment.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast