Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Re: Duffeteer Creators Club

The home made (SV) sweaters idea sounds fantastic. Duffy needs casual wear, and BAB doesn't always carry sweaters.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• No Spoons: Try Back Later

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    And setavulos, while the form is somewhat helpful, I'd like to know cost before agreeing to buy or sending my information and details. Can you tell us how much for, say, a Sailor Sweater? Or a Reindeer Hat? Those two both seem popular.
    I was going to contact the person directly to discuss price before I worked on anything. That's why I asked for usernames, so that I can send a PM with the information. A basic simple sweater with sleeves would probably be about $8, with a sweatervest being probably about $6. For the colorwork involved with the sailboat sweater, if you include sleeves, it would be about $11.

For a hat like the reindeer hat, I want to price at about $5 because of all the little added things that are very fiddly to make like the antlers or the ears. I would probably make a simple colorwork hat the same price.

I'm setting it up so that each element of the piece has a price that I just add together depending on how difficult it would be for me to achieve. So a sweatervest would be $6, adding sleeves would be $2, a hood would be another $2, cables would be $3, colorwork would be $3 (simple colorwork would be $2), and lace would be $4. Obviously one item would not have all those things together.

I also will be doing a difference in price based on size. So a person who orders a 12" sweater will probably pay less than one who orders a 17" sweater because of materials. In the case of a tiny tiny plush that I would be making clothes for, there would probably not be much in way of materials costs, but I would add probably $1 or 2 because of the small scale that I would have to work on. Materials for 17" are built into the prices that I am making, and for a 12" I would probably take $2 off.

And just personally, I don't really like the tipping system. I would only want to pay the base price, figuring that it includes what you've decided it's worth to you to make the items. If I have to decide myself, I don't know how much is really reasonable, so I'd do what's best for me and pay the base. However, because there is the unlimited option to pay more to help someone with "life and school," I'd feel somewhat guilty. This makes me uncomfortable.

In the beginning I thought of doing Duffy Post like that, but it quickly became apparent, for me at least, that it's better for everyone to have money things very clear. I'd rather know how much the sweater will cost upfront, then decide whether I'm willing to spend that or not, with no nagging feeling that I had either under- or overpaid.^^
    I wasn't sure how it would work, to be honest. I just got a lot of feedback from people that I know that I am under-pricing myself for the work that I would be doing (it's going to come out to about $1/hr or less) so I thought that was a good compromise. I didn't mean to make anyone feel guilty, and that was not my intention at all! I felt like I would appreciate knowing where my money was going, so that is why I included that.

I do appreciate the feedback, though, and I have changed it to match. I really do not know much about handling the money side of things since my experience in the past have been making things for myself or I have done art/craft trades with people, so it's more of a guess and check sort of process now.

I bet setavulos can make you that sweater, and that would be more fun and special anyways!

Oh! Oh! Setavulos, do you think if I sent you my SV sweater you could swap out the yellow stripe and put a new brown one in? I have no idea how hard that is… I would fluffing LOVE that!! I really wanted to do it myself, but it looks hard, cos there's a texture to it. Maybe I'll look for tutorials first, but it would be great to know someone can fix it if I fail miserably!
    That sweater would actually be very simple to make, Eeee-va, and I would be glad to help you make your disneybound dreams a reality.

As for the SV sweater, I believe it would be possible, it would just be a matter or me finding the right weight yarn to do it with. But you should definitely try if you want to! I think it would be a fun project.

• Brrr... Winter

Although it is always nice to have a bargain, I agree that you are not being financially fair to yourself.
    Say you have a request for a 17" sweater with sleeves and a hood, that is only $10. For a hand-crafted item, I'd feel guilty paying you so little.

My suggestion would be to have costs as you mention and then a flat rate tacked on above that. Say $5 - $7. Or one flat rate for 17", slightly lower for 12", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    Although it is always nice to have a bargain, I agree that you are not being financially fair to yourself.
    Say you have a request for a 17" sweater with sleeves and a hood, that is only $10. For a hand-crafted item, I'd feel guilty paying you so little.

My suggestion would be to have costs as you mention and then a flat rate tacked on above that. Say $5 - $7. Or one flat rate for 17", slightly lower for 12", etc.
    I may do that. I think I just need to think about it a bit more. Sleep on it a few days and then see how I feel about it. I would just feel bad for over-pricing (or feeling like I'm over-pricing?) and as someone who can't always afford the Duffy clothes they'd like to get, I know I would appreciate that there would be an inexpensive option for getting clothing.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Gosh setavulos, you are really talented to be able to make all those things on the fly without a pattern! I can knit pretty much anything with a pattern but I can't create a pattern to save my life. I admire your skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Boog1981 View Post
    Gosh setavulos, you are really talented to be able to make all those things on the fly without a pattern! I can knit pretty much anything with a pattern but I can't create a pattern to save my life. I admire your skills!
    Well, I kind of make up a pattern as I go and then use that when reproducing the item. But thank you!

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's a hard thing to price, because people have gotten so used to buying machine-made items for cheap, that paying more even for handmade seems hard for them. However, I do agree that you should get more for handmade items, and to make it worth your time and effort in addition to the base material. It is a balance to be sure.

• I love that tiny bear!

I agree that I don't want you undervaluing your work, setavulos! I don't think most crafters charge even minimum wage for their labor, but $1 is probably on the very low end, even for someone new.

I also THINK that some people may start out at one price and then work their way up as they build up a following. In other words, if you have plenty of time and not much money, you can afford to have lower prices, almost like publicity. As you get more requests you have less spare time, so either people will have much longer waits for their items, and/or you can raise your prices to reduce your relative workload.

But that probably works better in an Etsy store with a fixed product, then on custom-made items.

• Felice Natale!

I agree with the other posters. I would have much better peace of mind if I know that you're comfortable with what you're paid; I don't want to guess at the appropriate price. I don't knit, so I'm not sure what that would be.

Gurgi's right, though. It needs to either really differentiate itself from mass-produced items, or else be priced competitively. The option to select colors already adds value, as long as there are some basic colors to choose from without paying extra. How many and which basic colors will be available? You can already imagine I hope chocolate brown and light blue are among them.^^ You might also be able to charge a little more by offering really fine wool/materials, and educating us on how they make a difference.

I agree with the other posters. I would have much better peace of mind if I know that you're comfortable with what you're paid; I don't want to guess at the appropriate price. I don't knit, so I'm not sure what that would be.

Gurgi's right, though. It needs to either really differentiate itself from mass-produced items, or else be priced competitively. The option to select colors already adds value, as long as there are some basic colors to choose from without paying extra. How many and which basic colors will be available? You can already imagine I hope chocolate brown and light blue are among them.^^ You might also be able to charge a little more by offering really fine wool/materials, and educating us on how they make a difference.
    I do have quite a lot of colors in my stash, but not all of them are in wool. The main difference between wool yarns and acrylic yarns is that wool would have to be handwashed but it also generally feels more natural, and some acrylics feel scratchy and uncomfortable. Of course, when I buy acrylics I try to buy nicer-feeling acrylics, but there are a few colors that I have in a brand called "Red Heart Super Saver", which is really one of the most disliked of the yarn brands among "yarn snobs". If someone wants a piece in a color that I have in super saver or a similar acrylic, then I will give some extra treatment to the piece in blocking in order to really soften it up as best I can. It's not actively unpleasant unless you know what to compare it to, but I would feel better if I give them as nice a product as I can.

I am hoping that once I get a few items done, that I will be able to buy nicer yarn (and particularly, more of this yarn called Fishermen's Wool, because it is super cheap for the amount that you actually get and it is the most natural-feeling wool I have come across). But for now it seems that I will be going through my stash and making a spreadsheet of what I have available right now. I'll post a link to that spreadsheet later today.

So far, I estimate that there will be at least twenty different colors available, and I'm not even completely through my bin yet. So there is quite a bit of yarn available to choose from. I do warn you, though, I am quite fond of the color blue. I do currently have one chocolate brown, but it is a tweed with orange, yellow, and green flecks.

As for price, I am still fond of the PWYW method, but I feel like I will probably just go with a size-based flat rate on top of the prices I had listed above for simplicity's sake.

ETA: Spreadsheet is up! I also have more yarns in lighter weights, but since those are for a particular project, if you want something with thinner yarn we can talk privately about that.
    Last edited by setavulos; 07-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by setavulos View Post
    …As for price, I am still fond of the PWYW method, but I feel like I will probably just go with a size-based flat rate on top of the prices I had listed above for simplicity's sake.

ETA: Spreadsheet is up! I also have more yarns in lighter weights, but since those are for a particular project, if you want something with thinner yarn we can talk privately about that.

I appreciate the clear pricing. I think it's better for you, too. From experience, the Duffy Post gratuity system is meant to be a minimum suggestion. But no matter how many times people change Wish Lists, add items, change addresses, etc; almost no one ever voluntarily pays more just out of genuine gratitude. They pay exactly as stated in the Guidelines. If I didn't specifically request an extra "tip" for custom items that take considerably more time, I wouldn't get it, because most people can't really imagine how hard this is to do. I keep wanting to do a Twitter shopping day, so people can kind of follow along, but it's always just one more thing that risks breaking my concentration.

It sounded to me like you were likely to undercharge, being confident that people would pay more. Not only does that create a risk that you will be disappointed, it puts the real pressure on the folks who want to support you. It leaves me wondering if I'm overpaying, and it could lead to you resenting the feeling that you're not getting paid enough. I really like that it's clear.

I will definitely want my things made with Fisherman's Wool if and when I get something. You made it sound great, and the name sounds like Cape Cod, which I love. If I were you, as far as buying new wool, I would only use Fisherman's Wool, and make that a branding/selling point. Only I saw one blog that suggests it may be weak for cabling, though Comments countered that it may have been a weight problem; are you okay with cabling using Fisherman's Wool? I'd love a natural cotton sweater with cabled nautical "ropes" going through it, but the cabling would have to be very bold for it to really work.

I'll definitely want a plain chocolate brown, not tweed, unless it had blue flecks, which would then be AWESOME! So if you don't have it, does that mean I have to pay for the whole "spool?" Will my final price be discounted for the amount you have left? About how much of a spool do you think it will take to finish, say, a Sailboat Sweater with hood?

The Fisherman's Wool made me more excited about the whole thing! It seems the most natural, the most colorfast (undyed), and it's cheap! What weights are gonna have the right scale for Duffy, though. The texture being smooth and to scale is important to me. Thanks for sharing your expertise, as well as your talent!

I appreciate the clear pricing. I think it's better for you, too. From experience, the Duffy Post gratuity system is meant to be a minimum suggestion. But no matter how many times people change Wish Lists, add items, change addresses, etc; almost no one ever voluntarily pays more just out of genuine gratitude. They pay exactly as stated in the Guidelines. If I didn't specifically request an extra "tip" for custom items that take considerably more time, I wouldn't get it, because most people can't really imagine how hard this is to do. I keep wanting to do a Twitter shopping day, so people can kind of follow along, but it's always just one more thing that risks breaking my concentration.

It sounded to me like you were likely to undercharge, being confident that people would pay more. Not only does that create a risk that you will be disappointed, it puts the real pressure on the folks who want to support you. It leaves me wondering if I'm overpaying, and it could lead to you resenting the feeling that you're not getting paid enough. I really like that it's clear.
    I understand completely. I also think that I phrased things awkwardly, but with a flat rate it is more likely to just be less confusion in general! Thank you for the feedback.

I will definitely want my things made with Fisherman's Wool if and when I get something. You made it sound great, and the name sounds like Cape Cod, which I love. If I were you, as far as buying new wool, I would only use Fisherman's Wool, and make that a branding/selling point. Only I saw one blog that suggests it may be weak for cabling, though Comments countered that it may have been a weight problem; are you okay with cabling using Fisherman's Wool? I'd love a natural cotton sweater with cabled nautical "ropes" going through it, but the cabling would have to be very bold for it to really work.

I'll definitely want a plain chocolate brown, not tweed, unless it had blue flecks, which would then be AWESOME! So if you don't have it, does that mean I have to pay for the whole "spool?" Will my final price be discounted for the amount you have left? About how much of a spool do you think it will take to finish, say, a Sailboat Sweater with hood?

The Fisherman's Wool made me more excited about the whole thing! It seems the most natural, the most colorfast (undyed), and it's cheap! What weights are gonna have the right scale for Duffy, though. The texture being smooth and to scale is important to me. Thanks for sharing your expertise, as well as your talent!
    I personally love fishermen's wool, but I wanted to put up the rest of the colors I have just in case someone wanted something that they might be getting for a child's bear or something, and I know they would appreciate the bright colors and machine washability of acrylic items. Plus yarns like Vanna's Choice and Caron Simply Soft are both acrylics that I am personally fond of, especially for items for children. There isn't the same feeling you get from wool (since wool has oils from the sheep and obviously acrylic wouldn't) but some of the items can still be very soft and comfortable.

I'm planning on getting the brown skein of fishermen's wool for yours, if you decide that you'd like to get that sweater. Since it comes in such big skeins (465 yards!) I definitely would have a lot of different projects from one skein. I would only charge for the amount used by the project. I wouldn't make someone pay the $10 per skein if I'm going to use it for five to ten different projects! I might be able to dye fishermen's wool a different color, but that seems like an extra variable that I don't want to deal with right now.

Cabling is fine with fishermen's wool, in my opinion. I can always just put a purl border around it, like in the below image. You can see the cables on either side of the center stockinette panel. This is the Natural colorway, which comes out as a nice-looking cream color.

The yarns that I prefer to use are a bit thicker than the machine-made sweaters would have. It is a weight that ends up coming out a bit rustic, and while that is something that I like, I also understand that for some projects, I may have to dip into my stash of lighter-weight wools. But I feel like he looks really good in worsted weight yarn, and it really accentuates the handmade nature of the item.

• Brrr... Winter

Setavulos,
    I saw 4 or 5 big bins of yarn on sale at Wal-Mart today. They were about 30% off. I don't know if there are any brands that they sell that you like, but your local store may be having a sale too.
    ILG

Thank for you letting me know! Although somehow I missed this message until now.. Oh well!

Just as a general update, I've been working on one order I've received thus yet, and also some of the prototypes! I recently burned my fingers while cooking dinner one evening, so I kind of had to put things on hold for a few days until I could knit again. But I hope to have something to show you guys soon!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast