Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Duffeteer Creators Club

Here is a tee I made:

Name:  chipshirt_zpsf97ca29c.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  36.5 KB

mmommie that shirt is adorable! That was going to be one of my first things to try and make is a t-shirt. I just don't know about the whole pattern making thing...
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    mmommie that shirt is adorable! That was going to be one of my first things to try and make is a t-shirt. I just don't know about the whole pattern making thing...
    One of the best things I have learned about working with knits is don't use cheap knit!!!!! Take an old tee and use that first! The thicker the knit the easier it is to work with.

• No Spoons: Try Back Later

Mmommie, that tee looks nice! It seems like it fits great! Do you have a pattern or did you just make it as you go? Although I would probably try to fussy cut my pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by setavulos View Post
    Mmommie, that tee looks nice! It seems like it fits great! Do you have a pattern or did you just make it as you go? Although I would probably try to fussy cut my pieces...
    I drafted the pattern for the tee. I will be adding the tees to my Etsy shop (in my spare time LOL).

• Happy Holidays

Trust me when I say that mmommie can sew! And setavulos can knit!

I hope i'm not stealing someone else's thunder but i havn't read through all the posts. I've been inspired to illustrate a duffy calander...i just hope my idea doesn't crash and burn.

• Felice Natale!

I somehow missed all of these September posts. Awesome, mmommie. I would still really love a link to your Etsy shop?

Keep us posted on your calendar, please, kittyloaf!

Well...I started January but I'm not done yet. I can't decide if I'm pleased or not. I tried out a new coloring technique and I don't know if it really turned out :/ My style definitely shows, though-- nothing like the illustrators for Disney >.<

Name:  duffy_zpse1439887.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  23.5 KB

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by kittyloaf View Post
    Well...I started January but I'm not done yet. I can't decide if I'm pleased or not. I tried out a new coloring technique and I don't know if it really turned out :/ My style definitely shows, though-- nothing like the illustrators for Disney >.<
    I it! The colors are beautiful. As long as it has a colorful, detailed background; I think it'll turn out great!

In case you actually want some constructive feedback, I'd say Duffy's hands are too small; Duffy doesn't have "elbows" or "wrists." He doesn't have joints or bones. There shouldn't be a difference there, the arm should just round out. The same is true of the legs; Duffy doesn't have ankles. And the legs are a bit too long and wide. Also, while Duffy has a round bottom, he doesn't really have "hips," and definitely doesn't have a waist.

To say all of these things as one thing: I immediately loved your drawing, both in concept AND execution. But I also felt something uncanny. It's because, I think, he has human proportions. I guess, like most artists probably, you're naturally used to drawing human figures, but in this case it creates a bit of the feeling of a man in a Duffy mask.

I am trying to speak sensitively, so I hope this comes across correctly. I offer this feedback because I love it and seeing your talent, I believe it's perhaps relatively simple for you to change to make it "just right."

I'll love your calendar even with the current proportions, and as long as it's consistent, it will just be another element of the style, which I love overall. Your lines, colors and shading are simultaneously subtle and supple — beautiful and charming in equal measure. It's just, with more "teddy bear" proportions, I think the absolute genius of your composition/design/narrative choice to have Duffy standing up on the stump and reaching communicates much more effectively. I imagine this is important to you, as this decision seems to define the heart of the piece and is the most original "you" element.

I absolutely LOVE this pose, this moment, and I think taking out the "bones" and joints will make it shine even brighter than it already does. I really hope this is helpful and what you wanted.

I forgot to say, too, that I LOVE the "furry" edge on the ears. I think it would look great, and more like your overall aesthetic, to have similar furriness on the facial border. That would add something unique and really match your style because your lines on the ears (and the tree stump) are gorgeous and wonderful, creating really sumptuous textures that are very original and I am in love with them!^^

The costume design, too, is magnificent — I want that hood! And the movement and lines of the scarf remind me instantly of the Little Prince, which is just about the highest compliment I could give, considering that's one of my favorite books of all time. I can't wait to see your original costumes for every month!

I also think it could be cute to have Shellie holding the carrot, ready to pass it to him. Besides the obvious benefit of including both bears, it also has a charming "togetherness" vibe. And by having her on the ground, it really emphasizes how they need the stump to reach the top. You may really only want one bear, though. Of course, as with any feedback about your own work, take or leave whatever feels right to you.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your constructive criticism. Whenever I ask my boyfriend or my dad it's always "it looks great!" Yeah, thanks, but what could be better, you know?
    It also means even more to hear what you loved about the picture. Coming up with the costumes is my favorite part.
    For the legs, I was kind of going for the puffy pants looks which is probably why his legs look rounder than they should.

So for the improved picture of January, I'll enlarge the hands and have him holding the carrot out to the side. I hope I'm correct in understanding what you are saying about his joints-- like he only has an arm and can't move it like he has an elbow.
    I'll add fuzziness around his face and round out his body more so that he doesn't have a human waist. Maybe next go-around I'll lay off of outlining so much. Though, I don't know. It might be one of the things that makes the picture so charming?

His proportions and feet were also kind of giving me a problem, probably because I've spent years creating my own little characters and not trying to re-create one. I kept looking at him and thinking "it's cute...but it isn't 100% DUFFY!"
    The Shellie May idea is wonderful, but I think for this project (since it's new to me) I'll stick with just Duffy so I don't have the pressure of re-creating both characters' likenesses.
    I hope I've covered everything. If not I'll come back to it later ^_^;

Killyloaf will you be selling your calander's when your done because I would love to buy one!!!

• I love that tiny bear!

I like the outlining! I think bear-like proportions (including bigger paws and bigger foot-paws) will fix the vast majority of the concerns and make him look even more like Duffy. Other aspects are easily attributable to being your own style...just get a style you like and be consistent, and your calendar will be great.

Either way, your first picture is really cute! And very impressive for an early try. :O

Duffy and Shellie May's arms can do SOME kind of bending (see the 2nd anniversary Duffetters signature). But Shellie May's arm isn't exactly bending at the wrist; it's bending like a plush bear's arm would. (It's also subjected to pressure, so I don't know for certain what the bears do when they hold things...I reckon a good way to figure out bear anatomy would be to look at the art for Sweet Duffy 2013, where Shellie May is helping Duffy cook, and maybe Spring Voyage...I just don't have time to look that up right now.)

Anyway, I personally would try making the bend on the carrot arm softer and get rid of the folds at the crook of the "elbow." Though I think the folds are probably a reflection of of the clothing, not a reflection of bear skeletal structure or lack thereof...I don't recall Duffy art having much reflection of clothing folds either, but again, I'm running late as it is and don't have time to investigate.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Duffeteer Creators Club

Quote Originally Posted by kittyloaf View Post
    ...Coming up with the costumes is my favorite part.
    For the legs, I was kind of going for the puffy pants looks which is probably why his legs look rounder than they should.

...I hope I'm correct in understanding what you are saying about his joints-- like he only has an arm and can't move it like he has an elbow.
    I'll add fuzziness around his face and round out his body more so that he doesn't have a human waist. Maybe next go-around I'll lay off of outlining so much. Though, I don't know. It might be one of the things that makes the picture so charming?

His proportions and feet were also kind of giving me a problem...I kept looking at him and thinking "it's cute...but it isn't 100% DUFFY!"
    You've done an AMAZING job with the costume design, and that is such a challenging task. You perfectly executed the classic, timeless, elegant Duffy that I adore. I am totally, thoroughly impressed...but you've also dangerously raised my expectations!...just messin' with ya! With work like this, I am already ecstatic with anticipation for your calendar! I'll talk about the pants thing later.

As Eeee-va also said, he can TOTALLY bend his arms and stuff; just not hard right angles, I think, is the key. I've put some images below. Let me know if you need me to scour some more or you think you get what I mean. I'm not really a visual artist, so my explanation may be terrible!

WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU "lay off the outlining???" Please, NO! I that!!! LOVE that!!! It seems a major element of your signature to me. Your lines are soooo beautiful! Please, please, KEEP THE OUTLINES!

I'm so relieved that you had the same feeling I had, and proportions really are tough with Duffy, especially if you're used to drawing human or at least "more human" characters. Your work is incredible and instantly lovable, though, just the way it is now.

I totally understand about not including Shellie, and this moment will be just as charming even with Duffy on his own. I hope you'll do some months with Shellie on her own, too, then, as you get more settled in with the style? Or not! Just Duffy would be great, too. I'm still gonna want one!^^ Although...my birthday is in May and I'm RIDICULoUSLY obsessed with being a Gemini, so, y'know, if you happened to include both bears together, like twins kinda...y'know, like, for just that one month or something, I might, y'know, think that was kinda cool or something. I mean...whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I like the outlining! I think bear-like proportions (including bigger paws and bigger foot-paws) will fix the vast majority of the concerns and make him look even more like Duffy. Other aspects are easily attributable to being your own style...just get a style you like and be consistent, and your calendar will be great.
    Did I talk about other aspects? I really only meant to say that. I suggested about Shellie, but I didn't mean it "needs" Shellie. I hope I didn't sound like that.

Oh and the face furriness, but I meant that to be more like "kittyloaf style!"

As I said above, if you remove the outlines, I'll cry for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Either way, your first picture is really cute! And very impressive for an early try. :O

Duffy and Shellie May's arms can do SOME kind of bending (see the 2nd anniversary Duffetters signature). But Shellie May's arm isn't exactly bending at the wrist; it's bending like a plush bear's arm would...

Anyway, I personally would try making the bend on the carrot arm softer and get rid of the folds at the crook of the "elbow." Though I think the folds are probably a reflection of of the clothing, not a reflection of bear skeletal structure or lack thereof...I don't recall Duffy art having much reflection of clothing folds either, but again, I'm running late as it is and don't have time to investigate.

I think the first pose on the left would be great for Duffy's right arm. You can see in all of these how the arms can bend and curve but don't have a clear bone joint. You can also really see the shape of the body and legs. Not having ankles makes the feet really hard, but the middle picture gives good clues. And the hands are really clear; there is no separation at all, the arm just rounds out. Hope these are helpful!^^

Just as Eeee-va says about removing the fold lines from the "elbow," which is a great idea, I understand now what you were going for with the pants. I think having them tuck into shoes/boots will actually kinda make the ankle/feet issue a lot easier, too. Duffy's feet are HARD! But I would suggest adding a couple (maybe even only one...I dunno^^) fold lines to the bottom of the pants to make it a little clearer that they're baggy and loose, not filled out by his legs. Maybe something like Aladdin below? Shading will help a lot, too. Your shading is SOOOO good!! Duffy's clothes don't usually show fold lines so much, but they aren't usually shaded so beautifully, either. Texture and line add both elegance and your own style, so I say go for it!:

Whatever you do, kittyloaf, just PLEASE keep up the FANTASTIC work!!! Check in whenever you need to share and let us cheer you on, but PLEASE, see this through. I swear I really love this image very, very much, and I am sincerely and energetically eager to see this as a finished product. Please keep the momentum. We're all here for you, anytime.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-08-2013 at 08:12 AM.

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Did I talk about other aspects? I really only meant to say that. I suggested about Shellie, but I didn't mean it "needs" Shellie. I hope I didn't sound like that.
    It seemed to me like Kittyloaf was equally concerned about other aspects like the joints that I personally never would have noticed on my own. (Though honestly, I'm not an art perfectionist. )

Anyway, I agree with DuffyD in that I really like it! Actually, the head size as-is makes it look a little like Duffy is all bundled up in a ton of winter clothes, which is really cute.

The style overall reminds me a bit of the things you see in photos of Cape Cod in Tokyo Disney Sea.

http://riria26.tumblr.com/post/43278928516

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast