Thread: New to Duffy

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

New to Duffy

Im a short time lurker here and just wanted to post a quick hello and a question.

Hello!

Id never heard of Duffy and Shellie May before reading about them here. One comment I have noticed in many posts is that the US parks version of Duffy is somehow different than the Tokyo park version. What is the difference? The quality of the products? The way the story/character is handled?

I ask because I have a friend going to a US park who is willing to pick up a small Duffy and Shellie May for my son who loves teddies. I am NOT a collector and not likely to become one. However, if there is a product issue (construction, material usage, overall appearance) I would want to get the superior product.

Thanks in advance for any answer to this question.

That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: New to Duffy

Hi, welcome! To answer your question, there is a difference in both story and quality. The bears themselves are very similar. The main difference is the type of fur they use. In the US, it's been referred to as "waffle fur" because it has a slight checkered pattern to it. At Tokyo DisneySEA, Duffy's fur is more random. Other than that, there isn't too much of a difference. Just make sure to pick a cute one!

The stories are fairly similar, but in the US, all references to Cape Cod (at Tokyo DisneySEA) have been removed, and it's a little more generic. I much prefer the TDS story, but that's just an opinion.

Also, ShellieMay is NOT available in the US right now, so your friend won't be able to get her. The only option is getting her from Japan.

For the unclothed Duffy bear, the difference seems small or nonexistent to me at this point. Some have said the fur actually feels different, but I have no idea. The tags will be different, of course. Some friends from the US were here last week and said that the "waffle" pattern people complain about in the US is no different from the fur pattern here. From photos posted of US releases, I thought it looked different, but I could see that there is some texturing on the bears here, too. I'll try and take photos next time I go. I believe that will be Friday.

ShellieMay is not currently available anywhere except Tokyo DisneySEA, at least for now. The main quality difference people talk about is mostly in terms of costumes and merchandising. Tokyo Duffy has an elaborate release with a central design theme for every season of the year. The highly detailed, high quality costume releases form the foundation and are generally accompanied by some form of fresh concept art, often narrative-based and involving layered redesign of the website experience, as well as specific decoration in the park.

The Tokyo team doesn't stop at costumes. They make smaller plush, figures, household and personal care items, utensils, cups and dishes, snack items… It really is a completely different, richer experience to be a Duffy fan in Japan. The team goes all out.

If you're just looking for the basic bears, though, especially for a child rather than a collector, your friend can personally select a Duffy that I'm sure your son will love. And ShellieMay can be purchased through many eBay vendors or through my own Duffy Post shopping service here, along with many other available options. Just beware of counterfeits. As for Duffy, I understand that he is also sold in Disney Stores nationwide now, so if you have one nearby, you could even take your son and let him choose himself. Hope that helps!^^

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thank you, Gurgi, for the speedy and informative answer!

Also thanks to you, DuffyDaisuki! (you posted while I was typing!) If Duffy is at the Disney Stores I will most likely take him there.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 06-05-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: To avoid a double post

I had the chance to take my Japanese Duffy to a Disney Store in the US recently specifically so I could compare the two. The biggest difference was the fur. American Duffy definitely has a different fur texture- the waffle fur- but I don't think it's poorer quality, just how they chose to manufacture him. The material covering the noses is also different (again, neither one seems to be better). Japanese Duffy is stuffed a little bit more (though I'm sure it varies from bear to bear), has a slightly longer snout, and slightly larger ears. I honestly did not see a quality difference though between the bears, or at least not much of one, and I am a very picky person. While I prefer Japanese Duffy's fur and his slightly more plump body, I think letting your son pick out a Duffy at the Disney Store is probably more practical than getting a Japanese one since they're more expensive, it's for a child, and he will probably have fun choosing his own! I myself couldn't resist and picked my very own Duffy from the Disney Store, too! So now I have both types of Duffy and I am quite happy, they are both great quality.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thank you, FluffyDuffy. I feel much better about buying my son's Duffy from the Disney Store now that i have an eyewitness comparison of the two bears. We have a Disney Store with a BAB next to it... we can get the little guy all set in one quick trip! LOL!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When Duffy was brought to the US in 2010, his fur was exactly the same as the Japanese bears. Sometime during the second half of 2011 though, they changed to the "waffle fur". And if that wasn't enough, they even changed the way Duffy looked physically, my making his ears smaller! The quality was really bad for awhile, as many I saw for sale at WDW had lopsided faces (we're talking one eye being obviously lower than the other) and were overstuffed. Within the last year though, I've noticed the bigger ears have come back and the faces aren't deformed/lopsided as they were. But now the bears in the parks are understuffed and are a little floppy (but that can be fixed if you're good at sewing or know someone who is). Where did all the overstuffed bears with lopsided faces go? To the Disney Store.

I'm glad the two 17" Duffys I own I got in 2010 and early 2011 as they look like the ones from Japan. BUT.... if I see just the right 17" bear at the parks now and he's cute enough, I may just bring another one home with me sometime.

Oh and be aware that at the Disney Store they sell 17" bears, 12" bears, 8" and 24" bears. If you want one that costumes/clothes fit, get the 17" one. Disney Store sells a few of his outfits, but I personally don't like how they're all costume based. If you want everyday clothes, go to Build A Bear as the clothes there fit 17" Duffy perfectly. Plus their versions of some of the Disney costumes (Woody, Buzz Lightyear) are much better.

• I love that tiny bear!

You can also buy the 8" Duffy at the Disney Store, and he will fit the Small Frys outfits at Build-a-Bear. Your son will probably want the 17" Duffy, and the Small Frys outfit selection IS rather limited, but it is another option. Disney does not make clothes for the 8" Duffy, just the 17" Duffy (and predressed bears).

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thanks for the further advice aimster and Eeee-va. I will be sure we take a close look at all the Duffys on the shelf and that he picks a nice one. I do sew, so adding stuffing would be no issue, however my boy actually likes the slightly understuffed plushies. His absolute fave is (what most would call) a 4/5 stuffed black and white dog. He carries him everywhere and loves to hug him because "he is squishy and huggable."

• Bear at Heart

My son loves bears also! Wonder where he gets that from?! We can totally relate to the understuffed thing. We don't like them firm and rigid. I found my Disney Store has more heavily stuffed Duffy's and the Duffy we got at DLR was super cuddly and a bit floppy, but he still sits up just fine.

I highly recommend getting both the 17" and the 8" if you have access to Build-a-Bear. We take little Duffy with us absolutely everywhere because he's so small, and the Small Frys clothes fit him perfectly, as Eeee-va said. Big Duffy gets to see all the special places we don't visit often. So much fun having two of them.