Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, too far from Disney!
    Posts
    50

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Well I've been looking at the materials the Disney Parks Blog has released so far and they have costumes coming out in the future for Duffy such as Halloween. This leads me to believe since its modeled on the same type of Duffy that we all have, that this "new look" can't be much of a change to him. Just thought I should share this because since seeing this thread the other day I have been slightly nervous. Hope this helps...
    Second though, Maybe they are just fixing his feet...
    UPDATE:
    So I posted on Disney Parks Blog on one of the things about Duffy. Check this out... I asked about Duffys new look. The link is http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...n-summer-2013/ my comment is #15
    Last edited by mare53; 06-11-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: UPDATED!


    Duffy is coming along too!

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sanibel, Fl
    Posts
    58

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    I had a manager at city hall in MK look up the 17" Duffy and he said that I could find him online in Disney stores or at Aulani. None of the parks, stores at DTD or other res

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sanibel, Fl
    Posts
    58

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Resorts had him. However he said they would have more in a few weeks. At Epcot in the Duffy store I was told by a manager they would have more this week.

  4. #19

    • Felice Natale!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,269

    Question Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Quote Originally Posted by tink1223 View Post
    I had a manager at city hall in MK look up the 17" Duffy and he said that I could find him online in Disney stores or at Aulani. None of the parks, stores at DTD or other res

    One thing I hadn't thought about with this news is that it could mean repositioning Duffy as a "Stores character," rather than a "Parks character," which, of course, I think would be awful. But I think Disney thinks that, too.


    I'm kinda wondering if the redesigned Duffy won't be limited to the parks, to give back the exclusive element to the brand that they squandered far too quickly first time out. It's actually a clever strategy, if it's the strategy:


    Release Duffy, first with the same parks-only exclusivity mystique as Tokyo, but then big and aggressively enough that at least everyone in the energized online fanbase is aware of him, whether they like him or not. Flood every market, both Stores and Parks, on- and offline. Just make sure everyone knows. And once they fatigue of the onslaught, keep the original release as the "good enough" release massively available in Disney Stores and online, but then start the exclusive authentic Parks release with a grand redesign, new higher quality costumes/merchandise, and a new storybook with more sophisticated artwork and adventurous storyline — and limit these items to the Parks; no Stores, not online. Ok, now I know I've just crossed into daydreaming, but it really could be both major and wonderful.

    It could be like……UniBEARsity in reverse! Instead of cashing in on a new brand that is at once too similar and too different to be compelling (to me, at least…UB totally has fans, though^^), they make the original version the standard and elevate the baseline for their Parks version. Maybe Parks costumes will now be Cannery Clothing Co. Style and they'll finally start showing some love to the adult collector market. Maybe…

  5. #20

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,793

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Quote Originally Posted by mare53 View Post
    Well I've been looking at the materials the Disney Parks Blog has released so far and they have costumes coming out in the future for Duffy such as Halloween. This leads me to believe since its modeled on the same type of Duffy that we all have, that this "new look" can't be much of a change to him. Just thought I should share this because since seeing this thread the other day I have been slightly nervous. Hope this helps...
    Second though, Maybe they are just fixing his feet...
    UPDATE:
    So I posted on Disney Parks Blog on one of the things about Duffy. Check this out... I asked about Duffys new look. The link is New Duffy the Disney Bear Items Coming to Disney Parks in Summer 2013 « Disney Parks Blog my comment is #15
    Sounds like a typical canned response from Stephen. I'm betting he knows but is just "playing dumb". There were seriously NO 17" Duffys at ANY shop at DHS, Epcot or MK (and I looked in them all personally). I also looked in World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy at DTD. Only resort I stopped at was the Polynesian last Saturday for breakfast and I forgot to look in the shop upstairs that sells Duffy (the shop downstairs, Bou-Tiki, does not sell him).

    If you look real close at that photo on Duffy's FB page, you'll see the fur looks darker and a different type of fur as well.

    I'm wondering if their pulling all the 17" Duffys and saying he's "sold out" is a half-arsed attempt to make it look like he's in demand?

  6. #21

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, too far from Disney!
    Posts
    50

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Im thinking what you are thinking aimster. I looked at the Facebook page too and thought that the foot looks different. Oh well I guess we will have to see...


    Duffy is coming along too!

  7. #22

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,793

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    The foot is DEFINITELY different. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

  8. #23

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    768

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    They're here at Disneyland and they're different!! I'll post pictures when I get home. I'd say the biggest change besides the stitching of the Mickey on his foot is the shape of the Mickey on his bottom.

    Last edited by The First Star; 06-15-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Stupid phone

  9. #24

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    768

    Re: Strange things are afoot...






  10. #25

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    768

    Re: Strange things are afoot...







    Sorry about the bad quality -- I took them with my phone.

  11. #26

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    768

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    I don't think it looks exactly like the picture on facebook, where the Mickey ears open into the face, with no stitching between the ears and the face at all -- but the ears used to be fully stitched circles (like they are on my Duffy, purchased Sept. 2011) and now the ears are more like semi-circles, where the stitching is incomplete. This transformation is way more obvious on his bottom. His "tramp stamp" looks way more obviously like Mickey than it did before, when it was composed of three perfect circles. The ears are definitely semi-circles now. Unfortunately, the fur still looks waffle-y. On a positive note, he's no longer overstuffed. What do you guys think?

    Or are these just changes that have been happening ever since I got my Duffy, and I just didn't notice them?

    BTW, I just noticed that the Mickey "tramp stamp" on the Sulley costume looks like the new version on Duffy himself.

  12. #27

    • Bear at Heart
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MN, USA
    Posts
    27

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    I just saw all your great pics from DLR and decided to check my Duffy I bought there 2 weeks ago. I hadn't even noticed but he is this "new" style. I don't know when this changeover happened. The one my mom just purchased at the Disney Store at MOA a few days ago is the same.

    You are right about the full circles changing to more of a semi circle and the overall Mickey is a bit bigger. Can't believe I hadn't noticed this before! I wonder if this is what's going on over at WDW or if there's another change coming?

    Here's a comparison of the Mickey mark on my new DLR Duffy (left) and my 2011 WDW Duffy (right):
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by NiffyBear; 06-15-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: No idea why there's two images! XD

  13. #28

    • Felice Natale!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,269

    Question Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I don't think it looks exactly like the picture on facebook, where the Mickey ears open into the face…the ears used to be fully stitched circles…now the ears are more like semi-circles, where the stitching is incomplete.
    Thanks for the scoop, The First Star. I woke up abruptly (so I'm not posting useful images of the Facebook photo or the ShellieMays recently adopted for WLers) and casually decided to take a look at MiceChat, hopeful for this update to lull me back to sweeter dreams… Sadly, I am painfully disappointed. This looks practically nothing like the Facebook teaser, so I'm even more convinced that there's a "collector quality" Duffy coming, which still has mealtimes tic and even a little excited. But this redesign, especially on the hip, just makes me sad.

    To me it looks less like the "Micktoo" ears are incomplete, and more like the larger center circle is "on top of" and overlapping the other two. I don't like it because it changes the elegant symmetry and balanced representation of the shapes. It sacrifices this balance for…? What exactly? I'm not sure. I don't understand this choice at all.

    With the Facebook image, the Mickey emblem is clearly unified, not "cut off" or "covered up." Plus, it is clearly some kind of faux leather/rubber/vinyl sculpted detail attached to a softer, thicker, non-"waffle" fur. The unified emblem is a ramp up from the intentionally simplified and "pure" design to a more consciously brand representative design that redeems itself through sophisticated materials and techniques for its execution. The Facebook image is brilliant. This, though, looks like change — I would say "for change's sake" — but even that doesn't quite convey how arbitrary and counterintuitive this change feels. Why do this??

    Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    …This transformation is way more obvious on his bottom. His "tramp stamp" looks way more obviously like Mickey than it did before, when it was composed of three perfect circles. The ears are definitely semi-circles now. Unfortunately, the fur still looks waffle-y. On a positive note, he's no longer overstuffed. What do you guys think?
    Well, I guess you nailed it. I guess that's the reason. It further strips away Duffy's identity, reinforcing the image, as some people actually refer to him, as a "Mickey bear." Drawing three circles that "just happen" to make a "Mickey" pattern evokes the real "Hidden Mickeys" in the parks, the simplicity if childhood drawings, and a beautifully balanced design that is at once, yes, Mickey, while still being Duffy's own. When the quality level is raised obviously, this loss is acceptable. When the waffle fur seems more pronounced and the design feels "broken," it feels like a real "Disney bear" move. I hope these never come here.

    Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    …Or are these just changes that have been happening ever since I got my Duffy, and I just didn't notice them?

    BTW, I just noticed that the Mickey "tramp stamp" on the Sulley costume looks like the new version on Duffy himself.
    I'm sad to hear that cos I do want that Sulley costume, but I am not a fan of this new Micktoo! I wonder when these started circulation? I thought maybe it was possible that these were old "misstitched" bears that are just being used as "placeholders" until the "real new version" arrives… But if Sulley is like that, it's the "new look." Still, the Facebook image is completely different; it must be something.

    Quote Originally Posted by NiffyBear View Post
    I just saw all your great pics from DLR and decided to check my Duffy I bought there 2 weeks ago. I hadn't even noticed but he is this "new" style. I don't know when this changeover happened. The one my mom just purchased at the Disney Store at MOA a few days ago is the same.
    I'm sure both bears are lovely, NiffyBear. Love and hug them!

    Quote Originally Posted by NiffyBear View Post
    You are right about the full circles changing to more of a semi circle and the overall Mickey is a bit bigger.
    …But UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NiffyBear View Post
    Can't believe I hadn't noticed this before! I wonder if this is what's going on over at WDW or if there's another change coming?…
    I wonder how long it's been going on and how we missed it? Are the Disney Stores versions also like this? The 8"? The keychains? Is it everywhere? What about artwork?

    I sure as fluff hope that's not "it." If so, not only does it take "underwhelming" aaaall the way down to "disappointing;" the teaser image would also have been utterly misleading. That seems like waaaay too much bait and switch for me. I think the "collector's edition" or something is still imminent. At least I hope so.

    I cannot believe they've altered the standard Duffy in this way, though. If you've got some, I'd hold onto them a little while. Once it's clear this change has become standard, there will be demand for "classic Duffy." But you'll have to strike while the iron's hot, because surely this change is not permanent and will not last too long…?

    Oh, Disney… I love you, but, oh… Sometimes you make it so hard.

  14. #29

    • Felice Natale!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,269

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    But wait… Maybe it's like the bigger circle is Duffy's nose, and it's in front of the "eyes" because it's in front of the eyes! Yeeeah…that's it. That must be it!

  15. #30

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    768

    Re: Strange things are afoot...

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Well, I guess you nailed it. I guess that's the reason. It further strips away Duffy's identity, reinforcing the image, as some people actually refer to him, as a "Mickey bear." Drawing three circles that "just happen" to make a "Mickey" pattern evokes the real "Hidden Mickeys" in the parks, the simplicity if childhood drawings, and a beautifully balanced design that is at once, yes, Mickey, while still being Duffy's own. When the quality level is raised obviously, this loss is acceptable. When the waffle fur seems more pronounced and the design feels "broken," it feels like a real "Disney bear" move. I hope these never come here.
    I know what you mean. What's more, I can't help but feel insulted, as if they think that the reason Duffy is not doing well is that we Americans are too stupid to realize it's a hidden Mickey. It reminds me of what they did to the beautiful, themed display windows on Buena Vista Street at DCA: as if they think the reason the stores are not doing well is that people are too stupid to realize it's a store with actual merchandise in it, so they might as well remove all of the 1920s themed items and crowd them with generic merchandise. *sigh* (To watch the window display quality decline by degrees, check out these links: Finding the Perfect Prop for Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure Park: Part One - YouTube, Inside Buena Vista Street, where details and design bring Disneyland fans back to when Walt stepped off the railroad track | Inside the Magic, Merchandise takes over Buena Vista Street and Disney food gets plain, and Summer at Disneyland is here as Big Thunder refurbishment continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I'm sad to hear that cos I do want that Sulley costume, but I am not a fan of this new Micktoo! I wonder when these started circulation? I thought maybe it was possible that these were old "misstitched" bears that are just being used as "placeholders" until the "real new version" arrives… But if Sulley is like that, it's the "new look." Still, the Facebook image is completely different; it must be something.
    It's still a really cute costume, and I think it's well-made, but here's a (bad) picture of the Mickey mark:


    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I wonder how long it's been going on and how we missed it? Are the Disney Stores versions also like this? The 8"? The keychains? Is it everywhere? What about artwork?
    I'm wondering that, as well. The keychains looked like they always have, and the pre-dressed "My First Duffy Bear" 12" bears had the old Mickey mark, but I bet they'll get the new mark when the current supply runs out. I'd be willing to bet that the new 12" pre-dressed mechanic will have the new mark when it comes out later this summer. I still haven't seen the Americana or train conductor outfits here yet, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have the new mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I sure as fluff hope that's not "it." If so, not only does it take "underwhelming" aaaall the way down to "disappointing;" the teaser image would also have been utterly misleading. That seems like waaaay too much bait and switch for me. I think the "collector's edition" or something is still imminent. At least I hope so.
    I hope so, too!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where the Hidden Things Are.
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
  2. "Where the Wild Things Are" book
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM
  3. Strange things at work
    By frodo potter in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 11:43 AM
  4. Where the wild things are - Examiner 05/26/05
    By BigPigletFan in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 10:54 PM
  5. Strange things in the water around the castle?
    By viewaskewniverse in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •